Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Rhyno posted:

It's pretty hard to screw a kid up beyond repair, you'll do fine.

Well in that case, I hope she likes fixing cars and gutting fish, because I'm smashing the patriarchy with this kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Hell yeah, the patriarchy is overdue for a good smashing.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

MustardFacial posted:

Well in that case, I hope she likes fixing cars and gutting fish, because I'm smashing the patriarchy with this kid.

Get that girl in a dirt track car when she's like 5.

My local track has girls 12-40 that are either competitive or winning in every single class of racing they do. My wife loving loves it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

MustardFacial posted:

Play this for her. Over and over:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPMmsUICHNE

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 16:14 on May 27, 2016

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

MustardFacial posted:

Dudes. I have a daughter. Let's hope I don't gently caress it up.

Congratulations :)

And yeah, it's hard to gently caress up badly, and it goes by so scarily fast, my daughter is 10 this year and yet it doesn't feel all that long ago she could fit on my forearm

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

:3: Congrats Mustard, best of luck.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

MustardFacial posted:

Awesome, congratulations!

You will find patience and energy you never knew you had. There's nothing like being a father.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Sigma X posted:

GoPro's provided video conversion/editing software has become increasingly time-consuming to use. It took TWO HOURS just to convert last weekend's videos; for s'n'g I downloaded the free version of Filmora and it did the precise same thing in about 15. Anyone got advice for free or cheap video editing and conversion software? It'd also be helpful if it could do any sorts of overlays or PiP stuff.

Mp4box and make sure that you have spot metered turned on before you record. $30 for RaceRender to put a synced overlay on your video.

E: mp4box if you just want to do splits. It's a cli tool that is lossless. RaceRender is actually $50, but it has post dials you can mess with (brightness, color, etc).

Phone fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 27, 2016

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

MustardFacial posted:

Congrats man!

Thank god you got it out of the way so now you can watch Monaco this weekend :v:

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Congrats Mustard!

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

CharlesM posted:

How does the signal strength of those saucer shaped APs compare to a high-end router with external antennas?

The "antennas" on most consumer-grade WiFi equipment are little more than a hollow plastic tube with a straight run of wire inside. They're largely for show.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

MustardFacial posted:

Congrats! If it's your first kid, everything will go smoothly. Only the second one has colic for months.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Tide posted:

Found a Filipino restaurant last night. So so good.

What did you have? I'm personally all about lechon kawali, pork adobo and pancit.

MustardFacial, congrats on the daughter!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

keykey posted:

Congrats! If it's your first kid, everything will go smoothly. Only the second one has colic for months.

Funny you say that...my brother's first kid (and by proxy, my brother and sister-in-law) never slept. Ever. He had an acid reflux issue that persisted for the first couple years of his life. The second kid, he sleeps like the baby he is with zero problems.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

MustardFacial posted:

Congratulations man! I'll echo the get her in the garage and a dirt track car or dirt bike asap

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Congrats!

This girl on FB was bragging about working in construction and how she is badass blah blah blah, so I assumed she was in the trades. poo poo, I know plenty of female electricians, pipe-fitters, etc. I clicked on her profile and she is an assistant project manager who visits sites once a week. :sigh:

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

bolind posted:

What did you have? I'm personally all about lechon kawali, pork adobo and pancit.

MustardFacial, congrats on the daughter!

Pancit, pork lumpia rolls, sinanglay, and pinakbet. We just kind of ate everything.

GopherFlats
Mar 16, 2011
Why the gently caress did they have to make simple poo poo on new cars so difficult? You want to change the bulbs for your drls? Step 1: Remove front clip

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

GopherFlats posted:

Why the gently caress did they have to make simple poo poo on new cars so difficult? You want to change the bulbs for your drls? Step 1: Remove front clip

Well the looks are important than the function.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

GopherFlats posted:

Because they want even the most simple thing to require a visit to the dealer so the dealer can charge extortive rates for a drl bulb change.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

1500quidporsche posted:

Thank god you got it out of the way so now you can watch Monaco this weekend :v:

Once I explained how it was the jewel in the crown of Formula 1, the wife gave me Sunday off to watch quali and the race.

Thanks for all of the well wishes everyone. Our local kart club has a minimum age of 4 so for her 4th birthday she's getting a kart.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

MustardFacial posted:

She's gorgeous man :) Huge congrats. I haven't had my own, but I've got tons of friends with kids, and gods they are amazing.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
A good hamburger is amazing too.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Congrabulations on your daughter, Mustard!

I'm happy because 3 day weekend now and a 4 day one next weekend.

Also Gucci Mane is free!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDr44WkQ71o

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 27, 2016

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

god drat apartment hunting is stressful.

And oh boy, I'm 28 today. I feel so much more mature and comfortable with myself.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Enourmo posted:

god drat apartment hunting is stressful.

And oh boy, I'm 28 today. I feel so much more mature and comfortable with myself.

Don't worry, that will pass.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Just had one of our long time vendors drop off treasure trove of Yeti Colsters, tumblers, and Tundra coolers. loving WIN. What has two thumbs and got the Tundra 75 cooler, baby?

THIS GUY.

It's got their company logo on the side of it but who gives a drat. Though I may trade it with one of my guys for his smaller Tundra 50. He's offshore fishing every free chance he can get and he'll get more use out of it than I will.

I would never spend money on them, but I drat sure ain't turning down free ones.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Don't worry, that will pass.

I was being totally sincere, and definitely not sarcastically expressing the same sentiment you are sincerely.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Enourmo posted:

I was being totally sincere, and definitely not sarcastically expressing the same sentiment you are sincerely.

How's puberty

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Congratulations Mustard Facial!

Got the Cappo MOT'd today, taken some stuff down the tip (cue traditional Land-Rover-vs-van argument with a council worker), and my mate's taken over the drive the roller-paint his A3 in Rustoleum.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Oh look, reason 1,431 that comic books are loving stupid

Steve Rogers was Hydra all along? In a long line of stupid that's right up there

I'm not even a comic-book guy, really, particularly capes and tights, but I know what Captain America is and was, and this is just incredibly loving stupid.
I'd agree with some of the articles that say not to worry about it, since i will likely be retconned or he's a triple-agent or whatever, but that doesn't stop the initial idea from being beyond stupid.

kastein posted:

I carry the most aristocratic of pocketwatches

It is GPS synchronized, synchs itself to my email and calendar, contains several billion nanometer-scale etched detail filligrees on the purest commercially available substance in the world, allows me to communicate with my friends via SMS, voice, and video, and has a full QWERTY keyboard to allow me to compose shitposts on this fine comedy forum in comfort. It also allows me to SSH to my server and administer my webhosting, and chat on IRC

Also I can use it to play music in my car anywhere in the world

Truly a technological wonder of the modern world :smug:

What I'm saying is I have a $60 LG Enact in my pocket right now

I am so using this.
I stopped wearing a watch shortly after I started carrying a phone.
When I did wear a watch, I got two of the Timex analog/digital models, both internally the same, but one in stainless with a stainless band, for business, and one plastic with a leather band, for casual. They were $20-30 each, and have never broken. I like the analog watches, but actually used the timer, stopwatch, and alarms, so these worked out well for me. They're both still in my valet, though I think one needs a battery.
Really want an Apple Watch, though not enough to fork over cash (yet.)

some texas redneck posted:

My phone picks up roughly a minute and a half per day. :colbert:

And now that Amazon has banned rooted phones (... along with any Nexus and Huawei device, and several HTC phones, since their programmers are loving dipshits), I can no longer run ClockSync a couple of times a day to keep it reasonably synced. :fuckoff:

The gently caress? Why?

MustardFacial posted:

Congratulations.
My daughter is 14, and I'm still not sure if I've hosed up. She seems to be OK, other than a bit Spergey (for real.)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Geoj posted:

The "antennas" on most consumer-grade WiFi equipment are little more than a hollow plastic tube with a straight run of wire inside. They're largely for show.

That's kinda the point. Look at this guy who doesn't know that lambda in meters = 300,000,000/f and that a consumer wifi antenna is a 1/4 lambda monopole :smug::spergin:

a quarter-wave whip antenna for 2.4GHz is right around 3cm long. Maybe a hair longer since you need to make it the right length at copper wire propagation speed not lightspeed. poo poo, if you wanted to you could fit a fully functional halfwave dipole in the "just for show" antenna you allege most consumer wifi gear comes with.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Phone posted:

Mp4box and make sure that you have spot metered turned on before you record. $30 for RaceRender to put a synced overlay on your video.

E: mp4box if you just want to do splits. It's a cli tool that is lossless. RaceRender is actually $50, but it has post dials you can mess with (brightness, color, etc).

I tested out RaceRender, looks good. I'm going to start capturing datalogging as well, since I already have two tools to do it with. Hurrah.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 27, 2016

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

kastein posted:

That's kinda the point. Look at this guy who doesn't know that lambda in meters = 300,000,000/f and that a consumer wifi antenna is a 1/4 lambda monopole :smug::spergin:

a quarter-wave whip antenna for 2.4GHz is right around 3cm long. Maybe a hair longer since you need to make it the right length at copper wire propagation speed not lightspeed. poo poo, if you wanted to you could fit a fully functional halfwave dipole in the "just for show" antenna you allege most consumer wifi gear comes with.

So I should tell my mom to get the UniFi AC LR AP then? :P

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
e: yes, have her buy the UniFi unit. You can't touch their quality without spending at least twice as much on enterprise-grade equipment.

kastein posted:

a quarter-wave whip antenna for 2.4GHz is right around 3cm long

So what about that precludes it from fitting inside the aforementioned saucer-shaped units with no external antennas, most of which are >6" (or ~15cm) in diameter? I stand by my comment that the external antennas are a gimmick.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 28, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Darchangel posted:

I'm not even a comic-book guy, really, particularly capes and tights, but I know what Captain America is and was, and this is just incredibly loving stupid.
I'd agree with some of the articles that say not to worry about it, since i will likely be retconned or he's a triple-agent or whatever, but that doesn't stop the initial idea from being beyond stupid.

This is all part of a larger story where his history has been altered by the Red Skull.

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009
Some idiot with a twin-turbo RS4 was driving like an idiot.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Hell yeah, the patriarchy is overdue for a good smashing.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Making a wheelchair for my dog.

He's still super happy and active but his back legs just barely work anymore :( it's gonna be ghetto, but really don't have the $200+ to buy one.

Owning a dog really is like just buying a time release sadness pill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Geoj posted:

e: yes, have her buy the UniFi unit. You can't touch their quality without spending at least twice as much on enterprise-grade equipment.

So what about that precludes it from fitting inside the aforementioned saucer-shaped units with no external antennas, most of which are >6" (or ~15cm) in diameter? I stand by my comment that the external antennas are a gimmick.

Because many devices have a vertically polarized antenna, for one, and also, MIMO works best (aka at all) if the antennas are parallel (or close to it) in a plane, like fenceposts, unless it is specifically designed to work with the antennas at certain angles. Also you want the antenna away from any other circuitry that can interfere with it, couple signals into it, or block/reflect/absorb its signal, which results in a lovely radiation pattern. Stop pretending you know things you don't, it's obvious to anyone who has any clue about RF that you're talking out your rear end.

• Locked thread