Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

I've been doing MIG Welding for almost two years now, and finally got a chance to take a TIG course. Here's the first big practice piece.

After talking with the shop manager who's an amazing TIG welder, I tried my hand at some actual work. Someone else did some mig welds to tack these together, and I went back with the TIG and added more. I'm pretty pleased with these, especially since it was such a tight fit. I assembled 10 of these and was getting pretty consistent by the end.

After TIG welding for a while, MIG welding seems very easy and simple. TIG welding taught me a lot about what the different components are doing, since I can control them individually, so now I have a much better understanding of what's going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Just got an email from an admissions officer at a local community college saying she put me on the waiylist for the fall session of their evening welding course! :woop:

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
that feel when you're seeing screamin good deals on old machine tools but you know you have, like, 2 feet of bench left to spare for new permanent tools

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

Ambrose Burnside posted:

that feel when you're seeing screamin good deals on old machine tools but you know you have, like, 2 feet of bench left to spare for new permanent tools

Build more bench! :agesilaus:

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
How long are all your benches? I'm moving into a new place soon and thinking about how much space I'll have to work with and how much stuff I want to jam onto a permanent bench as opposed to the rolling welding table I'm gonna build.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Hu Fa Ted posted:

Build more bench! :agesilaus:

building a basement shop that's gonna top out at a lordly, like, 5'x12'. Gonna build a bench to run along the entire back wall but basically all of that is already allocated

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
I feel you. Filled my bench, so I got the shelf unit to add some height.

Now anything else I get will probably have to be stored at my parents house over an hour away .

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Ambrose Burnside posted:

get em anyways, gently caress it. That's how I ended up with a Sharp HMV, a Southbend Model A, a Clausing 2276, and I don't even know how many other things. Kinda hoping to pick up an indexing head / 4th axis for the Sharp sometime.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

kastein posted:

get em anyways, gently caress it. That's how I ended up with a Sharp HMV, a Southbend Model A, a Clausing 2276, and I don't even know how many other things. Kinda hoping to pick up an indexing head / 4th axis for the Sharp sometime.

unfortunately lathes cannot live in an unsheltered backyard, the only place i could store it for the foreseeable future

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Not with that attitude they can't. Kroil and a tarp have protected more lathes than you realize.

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

Geirskogul posted:

Not with that attitude they can't. Kroil and a tarp have protected more lathes than you realize.

Cosmoline and double tarp if you're feeling extra diligent. Make sure to check the tarps every 6 months cause they like to rot in the sun.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

My local steam preservation society has a number of mills and lathes sitting in the great outdoors protected by little more than grease and fallen leaves. I'm sure when they need them in 10-50 years they'll clean right up.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
hmmmm

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
My mill sat in my yard from fall 2013 until a month or two ago protected only by a thick layer of WD-40/dust conglomerate and a tarp and is barely the worse for wear. Give it a hose-down with the oil product of your choice every few weeks and keep an eye on the tarping like Geirskogul said and it will be juuuust fine.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Yeah, I'd like to rescue them but they're a little on the large side for me. And not for sale

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

Cakefool posted:

Yeah, I'd like to rescue them but they're a little on the large side for me. And not for sale

Unless they're 2 story tall mills, there's nothing that's too big for the average medium duty roll back, a helpful redneck crew and a case(s) of beer. :v:

Just remember, the law of maritime salvage and Finders Vs Keepers applies here.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
i passed on the lathe b/c the auction got a little too rich for my blood, and also, even when it got a home it'd be at a cottage i only have access to a couple of times a year. RIP

I still have my eye on those cutesy lil import mini lathes. For what application, I'm still not 100% sure. Quite possibly just "manual machining is nice and I haven't made any chips in months and it'll fit on my bench"

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

Ambrose Burnside posted:

i passed on the lathe b/c the auction got a little too rich for my blood, and also, even when it got a home it'd be at a cottage i only have access to a couple of times a year. RIP

I still have my eye on those cutesy lil import mini lathes. For what application, I'm still not 100% sure. Quite possibly just "manual machining is nice and I haven't made any chips in months and it'll fit on my bench"

Are the little Harbor Freight lathes any good? Every so often I'll poke my head into a HF store and play with the floor model and look at the sticker price. They're cute, but $600 cute?

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer
So I took today off to faff about with my new ultra lovely Chinese laser cutter and got in a replacement honeycomb style bed. It's been literally a year or more since I fired up the Sheldon (or any of my tools) apart from little projects friends have come over to do. The new honey comb bed replaces a really lovely clamp thing (D40 owners will know) but didn't come with any sort of support mechanism. Rather than cut down and re-tap the stock 5 standoffs I decided to make 4 feet, similar to a machinist jack. In retrospect I would have been better off making 4 piston type things and a central raise/lower mechanism but oh well.

Sorry I forgot to grab the initial stock pictures, but pretend I showed you a plain chunk of 6061.

This is after knurling. I'm terrible at knurling cause I can't be bothered to do the math and/or get a proper knurl too instead relying on the garbage thing I got with my Phase II QCTP. This is also why none of my knurl patterns are: repeatable, good looking etc. Really all I want are just grippy things though, so I'm good with it.

Always center drill (somebody told me that)

Get rid of some of this stock

All done, not as much to tap

I had a really nice Starrett (so I thought) 93B tap handle. I broke it, and this is after replacing the jaws (which I also broke). Apparently tapping 6061 1/4" - 20 with a HSS tap and tapping juice is too much for that tap handle. :/ Won't be wasting any more money on Starrett tap handles. I'm not sure why, I'm not exactly a gorilla, but Starrett tap handles and me apparently don't agree.

After parting the piece. I've never been particularly good at grinding tools, and parting operations always tend to gently caress up on me. Such is the life of the hobby machinist, if I was any good at this stuff I'm sure I'd program for a hobby and machine for a living. Today, I either ground my parting tool right or my machine is off level and it worked. Either way, all four pieces parted beautifully.

After about 4 hours of work (mostly cause I was loving around, drinking etc.) I made four legs (new bed for demo)

And finally, the thing that the bed will rest on. I plan on either printing some hex slots for the bolt heads to rest in, or epoxy them the the ring I made so it's not a pain in the rear end to level the bed. The surface plate wasn't necessary for this pic, but happens to be the only semi-clean horizontal surface in the shop.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets

Ambrose Burnside posted:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-power-tool/city-of-toronto/taig-micro-lathe-with-all-attachments/1167713216

:bigtran:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Brekelefuw posted:

Got my metal spinning lathe today!

Needs some cleanup and a cross slide, but that's all doable.

First up is designing the bench and bed extension and taking the motor to a motor repair place to get wired with modern wires (so it has a ground and no marrettes holding things together.) I also have to find a good leather belt for it.

I love old lathes. Do you know who made it? What is the size and thread count on the spindle, and does it have tapers?

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets

wormil posted:

I love old lathes. Do you know who made it? What is the size and thread count on the spindle, and does it have tapers?

Haven't been able to find any maker's mark on it.

The spindle measures around 1.625" x 10 tpi.

I didn't check if the spindle is tapered inside, although I am sure it would be. The tailstock quill looks to be a #2 morse-ish size, but it is chewed up so I am likely going to machine a new one, or buy one.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Brekelefuw posted:

The spindle measures around 1.625" x 10 tpi.

What? :lol: That is weird poo poo right there. If you have the ability I would cut that down to something common.

Brekelefuw posted:

I didn't check if the spindle is tapered inside, although I am sure it would be. The tailstock quill looks to be a #2 morse-ish size, but it is chewed up so I am likely going to machine a new one, or buy one.

Back then, lathe tapers hadn't been standardized so you could have something other than Morse.

I would like to try metal spinning myself someday so I hope you get this old girl with oddball threads, spinning.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
Because all my mandrels for spinning will be custom made, I'm not too worried about the funky spindle threads. The mandrels will be turned on CNC by whatever company I can find to do it.

The tailstock spindle will be modified to something standard because I need a live centre for it.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

missed it, argh

A taig would be a lot of fun for cheap but I feel like it'd be a touch too -little- lathe for the kinds of things I see myself doing with it. I've heard good things about the 7x14/16 import mini lathes given how cheap they are, and with a similarly-conservative footprint, why not

Action Jesus
Jun 18, 2002

Ambrose Burnside posted:

missed it, argh

A taig would be a lot of fun for cheap but I feel like it'd be a touch too -little- lathe for the kinds of things I see myself doing with it. I've heard good things about the 7x14/16 import mini lathes given how cheap they are, and with a similarly-conservative footprint, why not

I actually have the 7x14 as sold by grizzly, if you're looking into a 7x lathe, it's the best deal from my research; has the most powerful motor and comes with a nice assortment of accessories for the price. I like mine, its been a great starter lathe and is far better at making chips and accurate parts, moreso than many internet-based machinists would give it credit for, such as turning 1.5" 17-4 stainless bar into baffles for my homemade rifle suppressor (and also cutting all the rest of the various steels in my homemade suppressor with its multiple threaded parts that Have a very tight stacked tolerance) It is what it is though, a small import lathe. The change gears are plastic (hasn't been a problem) as well as the transmission gears inside the headstock (Have been a problem, ) but because of how prolific these lathes are, replacement and upgrade parts are actually cheap and easy to get. bigger lathes will do almost anything better, but for the size/price I give it plenty of credit. Check out minilathe.com and/or "Frank Hoose" on YouTube, they are great resources for these little things

Action Jesus fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 30, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
So, I've been wanting to get a welder forever, and I've taken a couple of classes. One of my neighbors had an 'Antique Arc Welder' he wanted to get rid of, I thought by antique he meant 1970s.

Nope:

Does anybody have any idea who made this? Its just a transformer really with a couple taps, 110v input.

Tested it. It does appear to work.
https://youtu.be/SpJ0lkWwSIE

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 30, 2016

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
:captainpop:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Second rough test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YtqwHz-Ev0

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
btw old round-lens goggles are bangin', they're usually really well-made/comfortable to wear and if the leather hasn't gone to poo poo you can throw new lenses in and you're good to go, but definitely do not use them for arc welding

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ambrose Burnside posted:

btw old round-lens goggles are bangin', they're usually really well-made/comfortable to wear and if the leather hasn't gone to poo poo you can throw new lenses in and you're good to go, but definitely do not use them for arc welding

Oh, no of course not. I was using a full face shield with a flip down welding lens. Full long sleeves, gloves, and ceramic toe boots. I'm not that insane....

...just insane enough to plug in a 50+ year old 'Welder' of questionable home made quality

So, question: Does anybody make cabling/jacks for Welders? While the transformer may last forever, I'm unsure of the wiring/jacks they use, they are really loose fit and frankly probably an arc risk.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

I've seen worse. My highschool robotics team had a "welder" sitting around that we found when cleaning one day, must have been seven or eight years ago. It was a bunch of huge capacitors, a power cord, a couple of big rear end wires, and a toggle cord that somebody had thrown onto a piece of plywood, maybe one foot square. You plugged it in, charged the capacitors, got the wires to the right position, and then flipped the switch and got a spark. Even as idiot highschoolers, none of us were stupid enough to try to actually try it. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of this unholy abomination, which I'm very disappointed about.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Karia posted:

I've seen worse. My highschool robotics team had a "welder" sitting around that we found when cleaning one day, must have been seven or eight years ago. It was a bunch of huge capacitors, a power cord, a couple of big rear end wires, and a toggle cord that somebody had thrown onto a piece of plywood, maybe one foot square. You plugged it in, charged the capacitors, got the wires to the right position, and then flipped the switch and got a spark. Even as idiot highschoolers, none of us were stupid enough to try to actually try it. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of this unholy abomination, which I'm very disappointed about.

Make shift spot welder?

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

wormil posted:

I would like to try metal spinning myself someday so I hope you get this old girl with oddball threads, spinning.

I have this horrible urge to try doing some hot-spinning of Ti tubing. I'm looking at my drill press in ways that I know are inappropriate

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Does anybody have any idea who made this?

Your neighbor. Or his father/crazy uncle.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Motronic posted:

Your neighbor. Or his father/crazy uncle.

:911: Crazy people.

https://youtu.be/BEIl6ad0GeQ

In which I try my hand at welding and set a paper towel on fire. And pop a breaker. And then try to use a carbon tip to cut through a project piece, but was foiled by lack of air to blow away slag.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 31, 2016

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

CommieGIR posted:

:911: Crazy people.

https://youtu.be/BEIl6ad0GeQ

In which I try my hand at welding and set a paper towel on fire. And pop a breaker. And then try to use a carbon tip to cut through a project piece, but was foiled by lack of air to blow away slag.

Setting poo poo on fire, popping breakers, burning poo poo to slag and half-assing things is a pretty solid job description for a welder. Congratulations. Keep going and in five years you'll be a certified journeyman.

Edit: After viewing the video you should probably move your car away from where your welding. If you like your car not covered in burn marks that is.

ductonius fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 31, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ductonius posted:

Edit: After viewing the video you should probably move your car away from where your welding. If you like your car not covered in burn marks that is.

Its a scrap/parts car.

Bloodspike
Apr 29, 2016

Mandingueiro danado
So I went through my grandpa's old coffer and found an old straight razor that I'd like to restore for reasons (sentimental value, just because) and also just to use it as I've been meaning to give that a try.

With it I also found the pictured slab of something that feels like polished smooth stone. Does it have to do with sharpening it?

Also, does anyone know the brand? Does it have any collector's value? The handle is cheapish plastic FWIW.

Imgur gallery link

(I posted this in the wet shaving thread too)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Holy poo poo that thing looks worn to a nub.

I'd recommend you take that to a shave shop and see if there's any edge left at all. It looks like someone used it as a box cutter or something. The blade profile should be what's known as a hollow grind, if that one has been sharpened too many times, there is a chance you're too far into the meat of the blade to get it sharp enough to use without a total re-grind. If that's the case, keep it as a memento and get a good used one or a new blade.

The stone looks curved, you want it to be perfectly flat. You can get a stone flattener to grind it back to level. Also get a leather strop.

I've been using my great grandfather's straight razor for over a year now, it's fun. Little expensive to get all the poo poo you need to start out, but long run costs are pretty low.