Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I love knocking people off the map as Pharah but it seems to induce a LOT of anger in them and they start tunnel visioning me or changing class to deal with me. It's both flattering and.. okay, it's just flattering. I'll hunt your widowmaker down any day :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Slime posted:

I have gold medaled on eliminations as Lucio. Part of this is because all I need to do is plink someone before they die to get an elimination credit but still seriously that just shouldn't happen.

I had four golds as soldier. I have no idea how I out healed Lucio

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

I see a lot of people recommending Winston as a Widowmaker killer, and unless I'm missing something that just seems like so much nonsense. The Widowmakers who shut down games aren't on the ground or anywhere near it, they're posted up as high as they can get, with sightlines on the ramps up to them, and usually a teammate at their back.

I don't need a Winston to kill any Widow a Winston has an ice cube's chance in hell of getting to. I can do that with drat near anyone. When people ask how to counter Widow, they're talking about the too-common nightmare scenario I described above

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

I see a lot of people recommending Winston as a Widowmaker killer, and unless I'm missing something that just seems like so much nonsense. The Widowmakers who shut down games aren't on the ground or anywhere near it, they're posted up as high as they can get, with sightlines on the ramps up to them, and usually a teammate at their back.

I don't need a Winston to kill any Widow a Winston has an ice cube's chance in hell of getting to. I can do that with drat near anyone. When people ask how to counter Widow, they're talking about the too-common nightmare scenario I described above

He has a big jump

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

LordVonEarlDuke posted:

He has a big jump

Can it go up buildings?

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

Can it go up buildings?

Yeah, if you aim up it goes high instead of long

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

LordVonEarlDuke posted:

Yeah, if you aim up it goes high instead of long

Hmmm. I'll play with this tonight, thanks

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

When people ask how to counter Widow, they're talking about the too-common nightmare scenario I described above

lots of questions like this are really just "how do i beat team that's working together well" and there is no real answer beyond your team working together betterer

though now i want to get a group of idiots together and try a 5 widow, 1 reinhardt comp

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

totalnewbie posted:

I love knocking people off the map as Pharah but it seems to induce a LOT of anger in them and they start tunnel visioning me or changing class to deal with me. It's both flattering and.. okay, it's just flattering. I'll hunt your widowmaker down any day :D

My favorite thing to do. Knocking people off the map is absolutely hilarious, and getting people to tunnel vision on you sharply reduces their effectiveness to their team.

Also, to the point of anti-Widow, if she's in a small spot like a ledge, just use Pharah's concussion missile from long range and knock Widow forward toward you off her ledge. Sure, she can grapple back up, but it'll put her out of position long enough for you to start nailing the area with rockets and bouncing her around.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
There is nothing that makes people angrier than wiping the floor with them with a 6 Mei comp.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

mormonpartyboat posted:

lots of questions like this are really just "how do i beat team that's working together well" and there is no real answer beyond your team working together betterer

though now i want to get a group of idiots together and try a 5 widow, 1 reinhardt comp

You need to have more faith in your widowmaker, the optimal set up is 5 mercy 1 widow (all using the damage boost, no healing required)

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I really hope they take another look at some of the achievements because they seem pretty clearly designed for different builds/balances than what we're currently playing with.

Zenyatta has one where he has to rapidly apply Discord to kill 4 people in six seconds. Does the rate of fire even allow that if you're like almost point blank with 4 people and Pharah is doing all the damage with her ult or something

Meanwhile one of Mercy's achievements is almost literally "Play Mercy for a bit."

edit: Also lockdown doesn't seem to work.

The Floor is Lava: Get 3 killing blows while wall riding as Lúcio without dying in quick or competitive play.

Not sure if this means 3 on one wall ride, or 3 times in a game, must be wall riding when the person dies. :iiam:

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
Seriously, why does mei get some much hate? A lot of classes can mitigate her freezing or just kill her outright. McCree has a way harder I win button.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Hypha posted:

Seriously, why does mei get some much hate? A lot of classes can mitigate her freezing or just kill her outright. McCree has a way harder I win button.

CC always tilts people more than just outright dying (short of like, actual one-shots like snipers I guess).

though mei's ult's insane charge speed might contribute a bit

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Hypha posted:

crowd control classes always annoy people in competitive games, it is annoying to be disabled

also mei counters shitbag genji players, who are the worst people on earth so they whine louder

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
when you round a corner and get smoked by mccree it is quick and merciful

mei gives you a few seconds to contemplate the fleeting nature of mortality before doming you and apologizing

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Can it go up buildings?

Yes. Blizzard are not morons (most of the time) so they made sure that there's no sniper perch that Winston can't get to with a single jump. If there is, I haven't found it yet.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
I've only played the game for an hour and don't know how the classes work but let me tell you how this established counter doesn't work

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Hypha posted:

Mei's abilities are perfect for frustrating and delaying enemies. Getting an ice wall to the face when you're trying to push is frustrating. Finally getting that rear end in a top hat down to 50 health and then watching them turn invincible and heal to full feels bad. Dying after several seconds of being unable to do anything feels way worse than just dying suddenly. Also, she's a tiny cute Chinese girl.

This is a list of reasons why Mei is frustrating to play against and why Mei owns.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

mormonpartyboat posted:

mei gives you a few seconds to contemplate the fleeting nature of mortality before doming you and apologizing

And then I get to see the kill cam of the poo poo rear end mcree right clicking from 10m away but instantly killing me with a lucky headshot anyway.
Or miss four shots then turn around and flash right click me with the last two
Or otherwise visably play like absolute garbage but be rewarded for it (unlike when I'm mcree :argh:)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pakled posted:

Mei's abilities are perfect for frustrating and delaying enemies. Getting an ice wall to the face when you're trying to push is frustrating. Finally getting that rear end in a top hat down to 50 health and then watching them turn invincible and heal to full feels bad. Dying after several seconds of being unable to do anything feels way worse than just dying suddenly. Also, she's a tiny cute Chinese girl.

This is a list of reasons why Mei is frustrating to play against and why Mei owns.

Sorry! Sorry. I'm sorry. Sorry...

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

It's a crime voice clips are team only

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I noticed today that Hanzo wears only one sleeve of his clothing, and it reminded me of Auron in FFX, especially considering his young master skin wears his outfit normally.

Is it some cliche for ronin in japanese media, or is just justified by added mobility and looking cool? Searching for it pretty much just gives me zero useful information but I am sure there are some huge weeaboos here, with all the lum avatars from ADTRW showing.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Yeah pretty sure it signifies a rohnin

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Minrad posted:

I noticed today that Hanzo wears only one sleeve of his clothing, and it reminded me of Auron in FFX, especially considering his young master skin wears his outfit normally.

Is it some cliche for ronin in japanese media, or is just justified by added mobility and looking cool? Searching for it pretty much just gives me zero useful information but I am sure there are some huge weeaboos here, with all the lum avatars from ADTRW showing.

I always thought it was just to free up the movement of the arm?

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine

Pakled posted:

She also works as a waifu whose realistic proportions make her feel more "achievable"

(I learned the term "waifu" from this thread. It's YOU people who corrupted me)

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

TheTatteredKing posted:

WHAT

Well poo poo. Guess I'm not buying any more of those.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
very satisfying: when you're Widow, and Winston jumps up to your perch, then you juke him by pretending to jump off, but you spin around and grapple back in mid-air, so you pass him going up while he's falling down.

Then relocate while he's waiting on his jump cooldown. See you around, space gorilla.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

objects in mirror posted:

She also works as a waifu whose realistic proportions make her feel more "achievable"

"Realistic" proportions

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

mormonpartyboat posted:

Dying to mei is like watching a PowerPoint of your own death

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

I'm the one who does his job, I'm thinkin… you're the other one

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

TheTatteredKing posted:

Really? Because I bought Mercy's "On a scale of 1-10 how much is your pain" to use after I kill someone. It sucks if they can't hear that in the killcam.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

objects in mirror posted:

Hot glue you're waifu

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I've figured out how to get the Xbox app to record audio. To celebrate, I've uploaded my most recent play of the game to Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPSorHHnBAU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I LIKE TO SMOKE WEE posted:

I'm the one who does his job, I'm thinkin… you're the other one

I stand corrected. That is now the one voice line that matters.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Kamikaze Raider posted:

I always thought it was just to free up the movement of the arm?

I thought it was an archer thing. The sleeveless arm is the one holding the bow, so the string doesn't catch on a sleeve when you release your arrow.

Caveat: I know nothing about archery

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
I think the sloped rooftops (or the highest stories) are off limits right? So widowmaker does have a limit how high she can get.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

TheTatteredKing posted:

lol then what is the point of them

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
i'm glad to see weekend aus queue is just as bad in overwatch as it is in DOTA 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Minrad posted:

He wears the sleeve on the arm that holds the bow, right? Probably to protect his arm from the string. And I think not having a sleeve on the other arm is for freedom of movement when grabbing an arrow.

So far, the only thing I don't like about this game is the extremely short inactivity timer. Dammit, I was just filling up a glass with some water, game!