Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
So much of that first couple of years of Ultimates stunk so goddamn bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

I really disliked that variation of Hulk tremendously. The part where the nurses make fun of Banner so he intentionally turns himself into the Hulk so he can rape and eat them was the worst treatment of the characters I've ever heard of.

I must have blocked this out. Was this during the first ultimates run?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Monaghan posted:

I must have blocked this out. Was this during the first ultimates run?

Ultimate War: Ultimates vs Ultimate X-Men

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Flesh Forge posted:

I really disliked that variation of Hulk tremendously. The part where the nurses make fun of Banner so he intentionally turns himself into the Hulk so he can rape and eat them was the worst treatment of the characters I've ever heard of.

I hate you for introducing this to my reality. I'm not sure this can be forgiven. Christ.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I didn't read a ton of ultimate books, but does Giant man eat blob or just bite him in half?

*Chomp! Ptooey!*

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
I think I remember that the last time the Blob had appeared in the Ultimate universe, and correct me if I'm wrong here, but he'd given up the criminal life and was trying to do right. Suddenly he's literally eating people! It was weird, although this was from the same series that gave us Grimdark Hawkeye and his hypermurdered family, and Captain America being called a prude for not understanding incest.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
:stonklol:

My takeaway from all this is "do not read Ultimates, ever"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Fuego Fish posted:

I think I remember that the last time the Blob had appeared in the Ultimate universe, and correct me if I'm wrong here, but he'd given up the criminal life and was trying to do right. Suddenly he's literally eating people! It was weird, although this was from the same series that gave us Grimdark Hawkeye and his hypermurdered family, and Captain America being called a prude for not understanding incest.

Yeah, in USM he was Ultimate Liz's absentee father.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I think 1 and 2 are decent, though they do have problems, Hickman's run was good, just cut short because no one read it and Marvel realized they would rather pay him to write books people read.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 02:19 on May 25, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

On the other hand, read the current Ultimates in the prime universe right now. It's great.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Fuego Fish posted:

See also Pyro and Toad. Before Ultimate 3 and Ultimatium they were X-men and not that bad people. Then in Ultimates 3 they were part of the brotherhood again and attempted rapist.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

CzarChasm posted:

Was this the same guy who wrote the "pubescent alien girl has literally apocalyptic periods"?

... do tell?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Unfortunately (I guess?), that's about all I can remember about it. The discussion of bad writers and bad ideas had come up and someone describe the above story idea in thread. I very much did not care for the idea and lost my cool. I'll see if I can dig it up again, but this was a while ago, maybe two years or more.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Maybe it's time to revive the thread about the worst comics ever? Or at least take this chat to the STAH thread. Let's have a palette cleanser of something people might actually think is cool

1872 #4: Red Wolf and a freshly sobered-up Tony Stark are taking on Mayor Wilson Fisk to get revenge for the murder of Sheriff Steve Rogers, after Fisk hired a bunch of bounty hunters to off him.

(Red Wolf kills old-west-Elektra)

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
drat, that's a killer line.

"I took his silver"
"Then you will have my lead"

Is the rest of the book this spaghetti western style?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yes, 1872 is hands down one of the best things to come out of Secret Wars

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Nik Virella's art in 1872 is awesome. She's also drawing Hyperion now which has started out really good.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

TwoPair posted:

Yes, 1872 is hands down one of the best things to come out of Secret Wars

And this isn't faint praise. Secret Wars had some very good tie ins.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Yeah....I got up to a part where hulk started screaming about skullfucking someone, and was out.

Like XO said, the current The Ultimates run is incredible.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Choco1980 posted:

drat, that's a killer line.

"I took his silver"
"Then you will have my lead"

Is the rest of the book this spaghetti western style?

1872 was great from beginning to end. Grab it!

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Is Red Wolf Daredevil?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

No, he's Red Wolf.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The 4th issue of 1872: "The Avengers of the West will return..." Does anyone know a date for that?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I wouldn't hold my breath.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
There's a Red Wolf series at the moment (not sure if it's ongoing or just a mini) which is pretty interesting.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Fuego Fish posted:

There's a Red Wolf series at the moment (not sure if it's ongoing or just a mini) which is pretty interesting.

It's cancelled

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

bobkatt013 posted:

It's cancelled

Oh, of course it is. Gotta make room for more comics about Captain Hydra, I suppose.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Fuego Fish posted:

Really? I dropped it after issue 1. "Let's take one of the characters from our popular western elseworld... and put them in modern times!" seems like the dumbest poo poo. But then maybe I've still got a bitter flashback from when DC did that with Jonah Hex in All-Star Western and drat near ruined the whole book.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Fuego Fish posted:

Oh, of course it is. Gotta make room for more comics about Captain Hydra, I suppose.
Or just comics that people actually buy, regardless of who it features.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Fuego Fish posted:

Were you buying it? If not, that's why it was canceled.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Were you buying it? If not, that's why it was canceled.

TwoPair posted:

"Let's take one of the characters from our popular western elseworld... and put them in modern times!"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

2 reasons it got canceled.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Plus the writer is kind of a shithead.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I don't remember if these ever got proper posted, but God bless Jim Starlin.

Infinity Gauntlet #4

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I would almost guarantee they've been posted. But they should be posted every few pages because they're that good.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

X-O posted:

I would almost guarantee they've been posted. But they should be posted every few pages because they're that good.

God, I love those panels so much.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
So what are Adam Warlock and the Silver Surfer waiting for? I mean, I presume the point of Cap's last stand is that he'll stand up against Thanos even when he has no chance of winning, not that he's going to pull something out of his rear end.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I love the way Ron Lim draws Thanos with a smirk on his face as Steve walks up to him, and then in the last panel on the first page right when he steps to him that goes away because Thanos can't believe someone would just stand right in his face and deny him victory.

FredMSloniker posted:

So what are Adam Warlock and the Silver Surfer waiting for? I mean, I presume the point of Cap's last stand is that he'll stand up against Thanos even when he has no chance of winning, not that he's going to pull something out of his rear end.

They're waiting for Thanos to raise his hand to strike Cap and Surfer to rush in and grab the Gauntlet off his hand when does. It fails, Thanos realizes he's wasted too much time playing a game to impress Death and then using the full power of the Gauntlet again swats Cap away like a fly.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I really like that Death is really bored with people like Thanos.
Death has probably seen a million or more like him through the countless ages. And his courtship is....lacking.

(that being said I really loving hope that the marvel movies do Thanos his much overdue justice. Ultron wasnt good enough.)
(And I hope death makes an appearance too)

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 28, 2016

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

X-O posted:

They're waiting for Thanos to raise his hand to strike Cap and Surfer to rush in and grab the Gauntlet off his hand when does. It fails, Thanos realizes he's wasted too much time playing a game to impress Death and then using the full power of the Gauntlet again swats Cap away like a fly.

In order to impress Death, Thanos turned off his access to four(?) of the Infinity Gems, and said, "come fight me, everybody, I'll beat you anyway". Because he turned off the mind, soul, and space(?) gems, he didn't have omniscience, so the Warlock/Radd team had a chance to sneak up on him.

Edit: he turned off his access to all but the power gem, because Mephisto whispered clever ideas into his ear.

prefect fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I really like that Death is really bored with people like Thanos.
Death has probably seen a million or more like him through the countless ages. And his courtship is....lacking.

Well, it doesn't help that she's head over heels for Deadpool, who will *never* die. His near death experiences are sometimes framed as "dates" with Death.

This is *the* reason Thanos hates Deadpool.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

(that being said I really loving hope that the marvel movies do Thanos his much overdue justice. Ultron wasnt good enough.)
I'm fairly confident that Brolin is up to the task.