Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Tamen de Gushi is one of the few good manwha and also keeps its panels neat and orderly. It's mostly a yuri series about two girls, one who loves the other, and the other who's not too sure, and their various hijinks(sometimes it focuses on other characters too).

the chapter the below two images are from, it's great

I've been to places like that. It's generally a really bad idea to try and win that wager, whatever you might win as a prize, you'll be paying through intestinal agony later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i hate the manwha format but while i haven't actively followed it myself i've seen enough pages of tamen de gushi posted to say that it's good

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Captain Invictus posted:

I've been to places like that. It's generally a really bad idea to try and win that wager, whatever you might win as a prize, you'll be paying through intestinal agony later

it's not that bad

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Depends on the place you go to, while it wasn't ramen, I took a hot wings challenge and

Hoo boy

Hoo

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Once, for a friend's birthday, we went to what google said was the spiciest indian restaurant in town. I ordered the spiciest thing they had.

Hahaha.

Ha.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Captain Invictus posted:

I've never looked into it, but I feel like this is just an old wives tale? I have never had an upset stomach or painful shits after eating spicy food, and none of my friends have either. I will say though that I'm the type that eats more and more spicy foods to gain a tolerance and so I can look down on people (in the culinary sense).

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Relin posted:

I've never looked into it, but I feel like this is just an old wives tale? I have never had an upset stomach or painful shits after eating spicy food, and none of my friends have either. I will say though that I'm the type that eats more and more spicy foods to gain a tolerance and so I can look down on people (in the culinary sense).

Depends on the person. Some people have iron stomachs, some feel like they're on fire when they next poop.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Captain Invictus posted:

Tamen de Gushi is one of the few good manwha and also keeps its panels neat and orderly. It's mostly a yuri series about two girls, one who loves the other, and the other who's not too sure, and their various hijinks(sometimes it focuses on other characters too).

the chapter the below two images are from, it's great

This is chinese tho. It's korean comics that love their whitespace.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

manwha t bad mangs

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I like the idea of playing around with the format to account for scrolling down on your phone, but I've never seen any comic do so in a way I didn't hate.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Despite ADTRW's asinine obsession with perfect formatting, I think this comic is quite enjoyable and I thank you for posting it. Someone called it 'Korean Yotsubato' and so far I feel like that's pretty accurate. The amount of white space is as uselessly annoying as ever, but the art is acceptable and the characters are good.

Then again, I'm the kind of person who, despite not liking Comic Sans, can still manage to read it without having a frothing seizure or posting autistic diatribes about it on the internet, so take this recommendation as you will.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Adding onto the list of Korean stuff, here's One Last God Kubera
Big epic of a story about tangled up plots and personal lives of humans, part humans, gods, and godlike beings called sura.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Bad Seafood posted:

I like the idea of playing around with the format to account for scrolling down on your phone, but I've never seen any comic do so in a way I didn't hate.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i will admit that annarasumanara thing does seem like it does something pretty interesting with the format and i may read it some day

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Also read the other stuff by the Annarasumanara author, like that one about the high school students being drafted to fight aliens. That author is super good.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah Afterschool War Activities is really good. Also makes a lot more sense when you realize it's a (not exactly subtle) metaphor for the Korean war.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Holy crap. Thanks for suggesting this one. I just went through the first five chapters, and it's a really gorgeous piece of work. The end of episode 4 gave me goosebumps.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Korean and Chinese comics are objectively bad except for like two or three things

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
things are bad except for the things that are good

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

The Colonel posted:

things are bad except for the things that are good

:eyepop:

ahiwattamplifier
May 3, 2014
Stop trying to convince me to read terrible Korean and Chinese anime book knockoffs

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

ahiwattamplifier posted:

Stop trying to convince me to read terrible Korean and Chinese anime book knockoffs

the only ones who can convince you to read them are the good ones

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Thanks for reminding me that we're never going to see the end of Soil.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Mango Polo posted:

Thanks for reminding me that we're never going to see the end of Soil.

:negative: Thanks for reminding me, now.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Wait why? Lack of scanlators? Canceled? Did the guy die? I vaguely knew that Deathco was from the Soil guy but I never got too far in Soil especially once i noticed it wasn't updating anymore

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Wait why? Lack of scanlators? Canceled? Did the guy die? I vaguely knew that Deathco was from the Soil guy but I never got too far in Soil especially once i noticed it wasn't updating anymore

Scanlators. The original's been finished since 2010, the problem is getting someone to pick it up. I don't know if it's hard to translate or if there's a lack of scans or what, but after Kotonoha died no one seems to want to go near it.

There was one group that tried, but they seem to be dead too.

It's a pity because Soil is rad as gently caress

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Let's Lagoon, a supernatural series about a time-traveling tropical island. But that's not really important, shenanigans are.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

Captain Invictus posted:

Let's Lagoon, a supernatural series about a time-traveling tropical island. But that's not really important, shenanigans are.

Wow. Looks like it was updated for the first time in 3 years.

I remember liking it a lot when it was first being scanlated.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Korean and Chinese comics are objectively bad except for like two or three things

to be fair the hit average of japanese manga is way way lower than what gets translated

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kaguya Wants to be Confessed To: The Geniuses' War of Love and Brains

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
^^^ This thing is fun because the basic premise is something you'd never see out of western media. It is a uniquely japanese clusterfuck.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

It's my favorite currently running manga :D

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
It's so great. The word game chapter was excellent and somehow the foreign language chapter was even better!

Edit: and I just finished the umbrella chapter, and this manga is still great!

Senerio fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jun 3, 2016

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm a few chapters in, it's good but not the greatest

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012
I could read a hundred chapters of these dumb kids taking shoujo manga cliches way too seriously for their own good.

That said, the end page of this particular chapter was very satisfying :3:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Pavlov posted:

^^^ This thing is fun because the basic premise is something you'd never see out of western media. It is a uniquely japanese clusterfuck.

I dunno, it seems kinda like a comedy of manners with Japanese tropes/stock characters used instead of western ones.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Here is my summary of that comic:

Two entitled rich kids manage to independently misinterpret japan's complex unspoken system of minor social hierarchies into believing that the person who asks someone out on a date first automatically becomes the bitch in the relationship somehow. Both being spoiled narcissists, they each insist that they must be the ones to wear the pants in their future relationship they assume is inevitable. This of course is all just a rationalization to not have to initiate the weirdly formal and overblown way japanese highschool students apparently ask each other out. They proceed to spend the rest of their highschool life playing passive aggressive mindgames trying to convince the other one to crack and appear emotionally vulnerable so they don't have to. Meanwhile the japanese population slowly grows older as the younger generation refuses to have children for some reason.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Only one of them is rich.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Senerio posted:

It's so great. The word game chapter was excellent and somehow the foreign language chapter was even better!

My favorite chapter is the one where Kaguya thinks that "first time" refers to kissing and insinuates that she's hosed her cousin and that the other girl fucks her dog. The way the other characters react is pretty hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

a run down hospital, a detective, a journalist and a priest, a locked room mystery, tales of possession and youkai, get past the admittedly long winded beginning for a good mystery (based on a real novel, and not a ln, wow!!)

• Locked thread