Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Thoughts on what CDL stands for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Okay, so, Veronica Dean killed that guy. I don't know how, but she did it. She's also the one behind all those weird insurance shell companies Cyril found. She's somehow rigged it so she gets the money if production stops, which it has and which is good for her since she drowning in dept.

I'm I just stating the obvious, or am I way off base? How likely does that sound?

Pretty likely. Also she was cementing the time in Archer's mind for her alibi by repeating the time so much. He didn't look at a clock or anything, he was naked.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Okay, so, Veronica Dean killed that guy. I don't know how, but she did it. She's also the one behind all those weird insurance shell companies Cyril found. She's somehow rigged it so she gets the money if production stops, which it has and which is good for her since she drowning in dept.

I'm I just stating the obvious, or am I way off base? How likely does that sound?

they made this patently clear, so there's gonna be yet another twist

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

taqueso posted:

It's a Commercial Drivers License.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

All of that, plus the fact that it would make for a big "told you so" moment for Lana regarding Archer cheating on her, makes it way too obvious that it's Veronica. There's gotta be a twist coming.

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013
Given that she didn't seem to recognise Archer, I'm wondering if the Veronica Dean that Archer saved in this episode is not the Veronica Dean he met in the mansion.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Jo Joestar posted:

Given that she didn't seem to recognise Archer, I'm wondering if the Veronica Dean that Archer saved in this episode is not the Veronica Dean he met in the mansion.

Do you think Kreiger might have had a Veronica Dean robot? Because I kind of do now.

Either that or Veronica Dean is just bad at remembering names and/or faces.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Do you think Kreiger might have had a Veronica Dean robot? Because I kind of do now.

Either that or Veronica Dean is just bad at remembering names and/or faces.

Please not prosopagnosia. I don't need more 999 in my life.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Does anyone else really dislike the silhouettes sliding onto the screen with the little spy jingle at commercial breaks this season? I feel like after a scene-ending joke it drags out the moment a few seconds too long and ruins the timing, where a quick cut is usually a lot funnier.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

WilliamAnderson posted:

Please not prosopagnosia. I don't need more 999 in my life.

First off, yes you do. Second, you'll get it next month.

ShakeZula posted:

I feel like it's going to turn out that she left Archer in the dressing room in time to kill Ellis at 2:14, but just because she said it was almost 3 so many times he believed her and never bothered to check. We don't know how long it was between her leaving and Lana arriving, and "too lazy to check a clock"' seems like a very Archer way to accidentally provide an alibi to a murderer.

I'm half expecting the watch to have been an elaborate set-up that was entirely useless because Archer is lazy. On the other hand Deen being the killer seems a little obvious.

I also expect Shapiro's gun to have been the murder weapon.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

I'm guessing that Veronica Dean has some sort of weird multiple personality disorder thing going on, and her lawyer has been helping to cover it up. Also that the guy driving the tow truck hauling Archer around will be killed. Then, after all the complicated plot twists are revealed, Archer will say something like, "Wait, did we ever figure out who killed my driver?" Then cut to credits.

I know it's a semi-obscure reference, but it's not that obscure, and this is a show that does obscure references all the freaking time.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 09:57 on May 27, 2016

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

sticklefifer posted:

Does anyone else really dislike the silhouettes sliding onto the screen with the little spy jingle at commercial breaks this season? I feel like after a scene-ending joke it drags out the moment a few seconds too long and ruins the timing, where a quick cut is usually a lot funnier.

While I agree that fast cuts can be funny if a joke is dropped immediately before, the animation and jingle is a reference to Charlie's Angels, as that's exactly how they always went to commercial break.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
There has to be more to it than that. Why didn't anyone hear the gunshot? And why would Veronica Dean make such a big deal as to the exact time unless she knew the watch would would give an exact time of death? I'm guessing he was killed earlier and the whole thing was setup somehow.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

With the whole not remembering Archer thing, and her repeated insistence on what time it was, I just assume she was a robot or otherwise doppelganger too.

e: oh, one other thing. Mallory to just skulk around in the shadows, I caught him once doing so, but did he do it throughout the episode? I kept forgetting to pay attention to backgrounds.

rafikki fucked around with this message at 13:35 on May 27, 2016

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

ShakeZula posted:

I feel like it's going to turn out that she left Archer in the dressing room in time to kill Ellis at 2:14, but just because she said it was almost 3 so many times he believed her and never bothered to check. We don't know how long it was between her leaving and Lana arriving, and "too lazy to check a clock"' seems like a very Archer way to accidentally provide an alibi to a murderer.

Unless the show is going to rely on some extremely cheap shenanigans, we know that there wasn't much, or really any, time between Veronica leaving and Lana arriving. If you watch it again, you'll see that there is no cut after she announces that it's almost the stroke of 3 and leaves the room. The scene continues to proceed smoothly and with no cuts (cuts that would allow for a time shift) until Lana enters the room. I timed it, and the amount of time between when Veronica opens the door and when Lana shows up is 15 seconds.

Besides, it couldn't have been too long of a period of time, even if we didn't have 15 seconds of continuous footage of Archer to prove it. I mean, there wasn't enough time for the aroma of Veronica's formerly cobwebby old snooch to dissipate appreciably.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011

thrakkorzog posted:

I'm guessing that Veronica Dean has some sort of weird multiple personality disorder thing going on, and her lawyer has been helping to cover it up. Also that the guy driving the tow truck hauling Archer around will be killed. Then, after all the complicated plot twists are revealed, Archer will say something like, "Wait, did we ever figure out who killed my driver?" Then cut to credits.

I know it's a semi-obscure reference, but it's not that obscure, and this is a show that does obscure references all the freaking time.

The Longwater disc contains images of Veronica Deane in a Chinese dress sitting in a Chinese chair. How scandalous!

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

counterfeitsaint posted:

There has to be more to it than that. Why didn't anyone hear the gunshot? And why would Veronica Dean make such a big deal as to the exact time unless she knew the watch would would give an exact time of death? I'm guessing he was killed earlier and the whole thing was setup somehow.

Twin Veronica Deans, also the lawyer's gun is going to be found or used in some manner.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Please ignore my previous statement, it was an ill-advised attempt at levity.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
There's also the possibility that Ellis's watch was incorrect, or deliberately set to the wrong time.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Or that a bullet traveling through the face of a watch would move the hands significantly.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Wasn't the lawyer with Pam and Cheryl at the time? Lana seems like the most likely patsy.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

criscodisco posted:

Or that a bullet traveling through the face of a watch would move the hands significantly.

Yeah, the Archer universe tends to take things seriously that other shows don't. For example, getting knocked out is no big deal on literally every other show that isn't a medical drama, but on Archer, someone will tell you (when you wake up) that you should see a doctor because getting knocked out is "super-bad for you." I find it difficult to believe that they want us to suspend our disbelief enough to imagine that shooting a wristwatch could possibly leave the watch in any condition that reveals the time the watch was shot.

The fact of the matter is, the only people saying that it happened at 2:14 are a pair of bumbling detectives, and their only evidence is a watch that's been shot. It could be totally inaccurate. And even if it is accurate, the only one saying that Veronica was with Archer until almost exactly 3:00 was Veronica, and Archer never bothered to verify that that was the actual time. And, it's very possible that the whole emphasis on the crack of 3:00 is a red herring anyway; the guy maybe was killed at 2:14 by the world's most carefully destructive bullet by someone who wasn't having the cobwebs swept off of her disused snooch.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
Aren't these bumbling detectives not actually police officers? Didn't they run away when the police chief showed up to the hostage situation, and didn't he expressly ask "who were those guys"?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

My Q-Face posted:

Aren't these bumbling detectives not actually police officers? Didn't they run away when the police chief showed up to the hostage situation, and didn't he expressly ask "who were those guys"?

I've been wondering about that, but I figured them running away was more that they didn't want responsibility for the failing hostage negotiations.

If they aren't cops, why pretend to be cops when no-one is watching them in the first episode?

taqueso fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 27, 2016

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

My Q-Face posted:

I took it as them quickly passing the buck to the SWAT team lead with a jokey ending line to the scene.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

taqueso posted:

I've been wondering about that, but I figured them running away was more that they didn't want responsibility for the failing hostage negotiations.

If they aren't cops, why pretend to be cops when no-one is watching them in the first episode?

Maybe they're just really dedicated method actors.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

the running gag of Archer not being able to drive his Italian sports car is hilarious to me

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Speaking of Veronica Deanes, did anyone else notice that the impostor in the first one had Katya's voice? The wiki confirms that she was voiced by Ona Grauer.

taqueso posted:

Canadian Down Low

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Maybe they're just really dedicated method actors.

This is my thinking. They are up for roles as detectives and have method acted their way into the police force.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

swickles posted:

This is my thinking. They are up for roles as detectives and have method acted their way into the police force.

Jives with one saying "wow you're really good at this".

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Didn't one of the arrest Lana for stalking?

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Yeah, the bald blackish cop arrested Lana in episode 3. They're at least somewhat legit.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

tarlibone posted:

I find it difficult to believe that they want us to suspend our disbelief enough to imagine that shooting a wristwatch could possibly leave the watch in any condition that reveals the time the watch was shot.
For a long time this has been used to mark the death of Joseph Smith, founder of Mormonism. Supposedly a ball fired from a pistol struck a watch of one his companions, stopping the watch at around the approximate time of Smith's death.

In advance, not a modern pistol, religious hoohah, mormons don't believe this, yada yada yada

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Carlosologist posted:

the running gag of Archer not being able to drive his Italian sports car is hilarious to me
Hey, it's cheaper to get it towed than to drive it. What do you want from him?

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Problematic Pigeon posted:

The Longwater disc contains images of Veronica Deane in a Chinese dress sitting in a Chinese chair. How scandalous!

Blame the Hays Code. Seriously, what decade is this?

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 10:45 on May 28, 2016

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

DarklyDreaming posted:

I wonder if this is how Tenzing Norgay always feels?

Yay, another episode with a highbrow reference that I have to loving Google!

sticklefifer posted:

They were a fun touch the first few times, but are overplayed at this point.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I like them a lot but they do kinda break the flow a bit.

Still though.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

Yay, another episode with a highbrow reference that I have to loving Google!

They were a fun touch the first few times, but are overplayed at this point.

I wouldn't call that highbrow at all. If you asked anyone to name you a mountain climber and they had an answer at all, it would be Tenzing Norgay/Edmund Hillary

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Henchman of Santa posted:

I wouldn't call that highbrow at all. If you asked anyone to name you a mountain climber and they had an answer at all, it would be Tenzing Norgay/Edmund Hillary

Maybe not a highbrow reference, but definitely an obscure one.

Because, in reality, if you asked anyone to name a mountain climber, there's an extremely good chance that they wouldn't be able to name anyone at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

JollyPubJerk posted:

they made this patently clear, so there's gonna be yet another twist

Yeah, I had the same thought.

That leaves Shapiro as the only (?) non-ISIS character around with a connection to the main characters, and he has good reasons to shoot both Crane and (Kriegerbot) Archer to boot.

• Locked thread