Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Rand Paul might be the least enthusiastic politician since Sherman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHvDgRlWDXo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

posting this in the downballot thread people actually read: jon ralston, the reporter everybody* always goes to when nevada politics are worth paying attention to, wrote an article about his trans son

https://www.ralstonreports.com/blog/child-i-love

*daily kos elections and rrhelections.com, the political sites i follow, anyway

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
So tonight the Democrats in Georgia picked this guy to run against GOP incumbent Johhny Isakson for Senate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc7TkfOxKds

He's an investment banker with no political experience. And he wears a dumb loving hat. He is going to lose in a landslide. gently caress this state.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Slate Action posted:

So tonight the Democrats in Georgia picked this guy to run against GOP incumbent Johhny Isakson for Senate:

He's an investment banker with no political experience. And he wears a dumb loving hat. He is going to lose in a landslide. gently caress this state.

You didn't exactly have a plethora of good options.

(And at least he can self-fund.)

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Melissa Gilbert, a Democrat, is trying to drop out of her race in Michigan due to "health problems." She's the only one on the ballot for them and while she didn't have much of a shot anyway you'd sort of want a real candidate to be there in case of a wave.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

haha what a failure she turned out to be. she's the one who said roman polanski got punished too hard for raping a minor, lol. apparently she 'disavowed'

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
This is simply great.

https://twitter.com/PoliticoScott/status/736213510674370560

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Slate Action posted:

did i mention... my hat

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Didn't see this mentioned yet. In South Dakota, dems are running Jay Williams against Thune. Destined for a huge loss, but at least they are running someone instead of no-one like last time.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Cliff Racer posted:

Melissa Gilbert, a Democrat, is trying to drop out of her race in Michigan due to "health problems." She's the only one on the ballot for them and while she didn't have much of a shot anyway you'd sort of want a real candidate to be there in case of a wave.

Er, how is a Democrat running for Senate not given much of a chance in Michigan?

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

taqueso posted:

Didn't see this mentioned yet. In South Dakota, dems are running Jay Williams against Thune. Destined for a huge loss, but at least they are running someone instead of no-one like last time.

He seems like a decent guy.

I hope to hell Trump somehow poisons the well enough for Thune and Noem to get kicked out. It's not going to happen, but they're absolutely terrible at representing our State and I've got a personal interest in seeing Paula Hawks win a house seat.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

axeil posted:

Er, how is a Democrat running for Senate not given much of a chance in Michigan?

She's not running for Senate. None of the Dems in MI are retiring or dead. She's running for Congress in a red district. I think he posted in the wrong thread.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

axeil posted:

She's running for the Congressional district that contains Michigan's largest concentration of KKK activity.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

She's not running for Senate. None of the Dems in MI are retiring or dead. She's running for Congress in a red district. I think he posted in the wrong thread.

Kalman posted:

She's running for the Congressional district that contains Michigan's largest concentration of KKK activity.

Ah well that would explain it then.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Yeah sorry, wrong thread.

Now onto business, I know you all are laughing at Jay Williams' goofy face but remember, Chris Coons got elected so sometimes voters want that look.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Cliff Racer posted:

Now onto business, I know you all are laughing at Jay Williams' goofy face but remember, Chris Coons got elected so sometimes voters want that look.

Chris Coons owes his office to the insane DE Republican base and Christine O'Donnell's bizarre inability to convince voters she wasn't a witch.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Cliff Racer posted:

Now look, the fact that the only picture they could find of Jay Williams appears to be a 1998 Geocities .jpg doesn't make his face goofy.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

No, they found two.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
We have our first scandal in the PA race.

Buzzfeed has discovered that Katie McGinty was not the first person in her family to go to college, contrary to her claims.

The discovery was the result of an intense muckraking investigation - they looked at her brother's LinkedIn profile.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Kalman posted:

You didn't exactly have a plethora of good options.

(And at least he can self-fund.)

You've gotta be a proper Irishman to wear a hat like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63XaJdZF9cU

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010

GalacticAcid posted:

Buzzfeed has discovered that Katie McGinty was not the first person in her family to go to college, contrary to her claims.

The discovery was the result of an intense muckraking investigation - they looked at her brother's LinkedIn profile.

Wrap it up, McGuintailures, I'm feeling an onrushing of Toomentum!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

GalacticAcid posted:

I miss Sestak

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

apparently the guy got a four-year college degree in two years so the mcgintyites are trying to say that means she was right. or whatever

i dont think this will be a very significant event tbh

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I hate McGuinty and yet don't care about this so ehh, yeah, whatever.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Cliff Racer posted:

I hate McGuinty and yet don't care about this so ehh, yeah, whatever.

Did you hear? She got a SIX FIGURE SALARY for doing... something. I don't know, I wasn't really paying attention to the ad.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

oystertoadfish posted:

apparently the guy got a four-year college degree in two years so the mcgintyites are trying to say that means she was right. or whatever

i dont think this will be a very significant event tbh

It's a non-issue, but still a very dumb thing to say to be technically correct

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

DOOP posted:

It's a non-issue, but still a very dumb thing to say to be technically correct

it seems really dumb that she made a point of saying something thats pretty clearly false for essentially no reason, yeah

im glad it got posted, this kind of poo poo is funny to me, politicians are so weird about lying, it's just that i don't think it'll make hundreds of thousands of people vote hillary/toomey or hillary/[blank] which is almost certainly a prerequisite for a democrat losing pennsylvania but whatever we'll see

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Former Anchorage, Alaska mayor, Dan Sullivan, is primarying Murkowski (and will almost certainly lose.) However, if he wins, its likely that at this time next year both of Alaska's senators will have the same name. And that would just be horribly confusing for everyone, wouldn't it?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Cliff Racer posted:

Former Anchorage, Alaska mayor, Dan Sullivan, is primarying Murkowski (and will almost certainly lose.) However, if he wins, its likely that at this time next year both of Alaska's senators will have the same name. And that would just be horribly confusing for everyone, wouldn't it?

After Kerry was appointed to State, one of the potential candidates to replace him was Setti Warren, mayor of Newton, MA. I wanted him to win for that exact reason

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
No, it goes even further than that. Alaskans would have two Dan Sullivans in the senate. You'd have to tell them apart by middle-name.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Are all state level democratic parties terrible or only some

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Uncle Wemus posted:

Florida's is terrible, Texas' is bad, the rest are varying degrees of great.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Uncle Wemus posted:

Everywhere they're not in power they're utterly terrible and everywhere they are in power they're still terrible because full communism is not here.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Cliff Racer posted:

No, it goes even further than that. Alaskans would have two Dan Sullivans in the senate. You'd have to tell them apart by middle-name.

oh thats amazing

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Uncle Wemus posted:

Arkansas went from basically a single party Dem state to a single party teabagger's paradise.

Most of the remaining Democrats are basically Republicans in denial anyway so yeah, terrible. The Dem running for Senate is one of those blue dogs that didn't get the hint when the rest got annihilated a while back.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Uncle Wemus posted:

They're all hopelessly dysfunctional and run by petty idiots. The only difference is some still have effective fundraising organizations.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Illinois' Democratic party is hopelessly dysfunctional and run by an evil genius.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Some are actually really good at doing their job. Kentucky, Montana etc. in what would be thought of as red states but also the orgs on all three of the west coast states seem pretty good at maintaining their powerbase, if nothing else.

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

Uncle Wemus posted:

Look for the ones that have been terrible for more than a decade. The recession and the tea party wave caught a lot of people with their pants down, and nobody has really figured out a coherent way to handle the shift. Note that this isn't just the Democrats-they claimed Cantor's scalp and have been picking off establishment GOP picks for years.

There have been a mix of successful strategies-Minnesota's DFL took back the governorship while running on a platform of higher taxes, elected the first muslim congressman, had two senate races so easy that MIGF could have run them successfully and managed to fight off Voter ID and Marriage Ban referendums. NV and MO showed the strategy of steering into the skid and were rewarded with races against Angle and Aikn, the west coast states seem to be replenishing their benches effectively and North Carolina has shown some substantial progress by utilizing assets that may only be available regionally (Moral Monday).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Geoff Peterson posted:

and North Carolina has shown some substantial progress by utilizing assets that may only be available regionally (Moral Monday).

The NCDP is still locked in a long-running generational/regional pissing match and the Moral Monday folks want pretty much nothing to do with them. It was so bad Hagan bypassed them entirely in 2014 for her joint fundraising committee.

• Locked thread