Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I really wish we had a ninja flip ring again, like just make it entirely cosmetic so it doesn't allow stupid poo poo again and I'd be 10/10 satisfied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

"Hacking" is giving assholes with cheat engine a little too much credit.

Haven't played in a while, but I saw that there's a new regulation update as of May 20th. Anything noteworthy? Is matchmaking better for the blueboys now? Is sorcery more viable now that costs have decreased?

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
There's a ring that affects your casting time. For some reason I only associate casting with sorcery, will this affect pyromancy as well?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

casual poster posted:

There's a ring that affects your casting time. For some reason I only associate casting with sorcery, will this affect pyromancy as well?

It effects all casting times, so miracles, piiromancy, and sorcery all cast faster.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
awesome!

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

The worst quest NPC bullshit in Dark Souls 2 was Lucatiel before people figured out you can just do The Rotten a bunch with Ascetics. She's a loving terrible phantom and you have to keep her alive through multiple boss fights.

There's some degree of challenge in even getting her to the Lost Sinner or Flexile Sentry before she finds a way to fall into bottomless water and die.

Funny, The Rotten was the only boss she died on consistently for me because she was bad at dodging and it hits like a train. Also the fire.

Meanwhile, she never fell into water and held her own quite fine against sentry, sinner, and smelter demon.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I just noticed while refighting the Nameless King again. And again. And again.

While they're not curved the same way, the stormdrake that the king rides has the same horn style as what you get with the dragon head stone item. They also share having thin strands of hair going down the neck. I'm probably just reading too much into a stupid item but I wonder if the shape your character takes is supposed to relate to the kind of dragon the stones might come from.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I've never had lucatiel die on me during a boss fight outside of like ng++

she's also never fallen into the water for me but I always break all the boxes and kill all the enemies between her and the ship just in case

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

casual poster posted:

the benefit is smaller with faster spells. pyro gets a noticeable boost, but lightning miracles are almost unchanged.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Domattee posted:

It's 10% more damage. At low SL the 5 points of vigor give you more than 10% more health.

Yes I take 10% more damage but gain 38% more health. Plus i can wear some heavier armor and I get more stamina.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Manatee Cannon posted:

I've never had lucatiel die on me during a boss fight outside of like ng++

she's also never fallen into the water for me but I always break all the boxes and kill all the enemies between her and the ship just in case

not sure what version you played, but vanilla DS2 at launch included a lucatiel that had the durability of wet tissue paper. keeping her alive even through NG bosses was something of a challenge. one of the later patches buffed her up so that she could basically off-tank any of the bosses as long as she didn't instantly die by falling off the world geometry, but vanilla lucatiel was tragically fragile.

it kind of fit her character better, in a weird way, that she was this wanna-be swordswoman who was living in her brother's shadow and trying to find him before she lost her mind, but not nearly anywhere as good at swordplay as he was, and she actually needed the help of the chosen undead to complete her quest. once she became a top-tier rear end kicker, it stopped making sense why she'd need your zombie rear end to help her in the first place.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I was about to cave in and buy this game but then I scrolled down to the user reviews. :stare:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/374320/

Is the situation really that bad?

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Looks like FROM has started unbanning people who got banned due to invaders: https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4l9rsr/psa_from_has_begun_unbanning_those_who_were/

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sanctum posted:

I was about to cave in and buy this game but then I scrolled down to the user reviews. :stare:

Recent: very positive overall: mostly positive :confused:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

homeless poster posted:

not sure what version you played, but vanilla DS2 at launch included a lucatiel that had the durability of wet tissue paper. keeping her alive even through NG bosses was something of a challenge. one of the later patches buffed her up so that she could basically off-tank any of the bosses as long as she didn't instantly die by falling off the world geometry, but vanilla lucatiel was tragically fragile.

it kind of fit her character better, in a weird way, that she was this wanna-be swordswoman who was living in her brother's shadow and trying to find him before she lost her mind, but not nearly anywhere as good at swordplay as he was, and she actually needed the help of the chosen undead to complete her quest. once she became a top-tier rear end kicker, it stopped making sense why she'd need your zombie rear end to help her in the first place.

I played both vanilla (from the beginning all the way through the dlc launches) and sotfs

she was always fine for me

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Aww, if you kick the little stone lizard guys they go rolling away like idiots. :kimchi:

Apart from that, gently caress archdragon peak. I'm going to be farming for this stupid staff forever. Oh well, at least the Big Huge Fuckers don't show up near the second bonfire and the guy is right there

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Sanctum posted:

Get it it's just as good as any of the other souls games.
People are just complaining it's not exactly like the others.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

TopHatGenius posted:

That's soo cool.

I'd love it if one of the DLC's allowed players to become a boss ala Demon's Souls but a lot more...boss-y. Like maybe the player becomes huge, gets unique skills, and maybe has some sort of a cooldown on some skills.

the debug build of dark souls 1 lets you take control of enemies, it would be awesome if they'd just let you straight up control a boss as a way around not letting you invade during a boss fight. something like the abyss watchers with a moveset similar to players and tie it to an autosummon covenant.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
Don't remember much about the vanilla launch of DS2, though I beat it once on the PS3 then later shifted to the PC for SotS. In both games ,though, I found Lucatiel was kind of on the weak side even. That said, some of the NPCs in that game were crazy. Bradley of the Old Guard, Masterless Glencour, and a number of others scattered about the game, could just step all over things. I remember a few times farming chunks in the tower by summoning Glencour as a shade to kill invaders more quickly. Hit people pretty hard most of the times and so few expected it. It was a bit cheap, but most bell covenanters were attacked in pairs anyways.

In DS3, though, I honestly find myself summoning less overall, unless it's for a gesture or quest. Especially on NG+. I'll summon myself out , especially in the prison, but coop feels a bit less engaging in this one. Might just be me though.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Sanctum posted:

DS3 is pretty cool overall, the main issues you will face for PvE are-

* Functional in any practical manner poise. (It's "working as intended")
* The continuing hatred of Attack miracles (Now only deal full damage at melee range)
* Efficient scaling if you are trying to go Pure Sorcerer.

Overall it's my favorite one right now, but I'd also hate to try and deal with rats interrupting my great club swings before the hyper armor kicks in.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Section Z posted:

DS3 is pretty cool overall, the main issues you will face for PvE are-

* Functional in any practical manner poise. (It's "working as intended")
* The continuing hatred of Attack miracles (Now only deal full damage at melee range)
* Efficient scaling if you are trying to go Pure Sorcerer.

Overall it's my favorite one right now, but I'd also hate to try and deal with rats interrupting my great club swings before the hyper armor kicks in.

to be fair they are working on that, MLGS and various sorceries getting buffed.
Poise I think is the thing they wont go back on, what with the whole oversaturation of blame.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

to be fair they are working on that, MLGS and various sorceries getting buffed.
Poise I think is the thing they wont go back on, what with the whole oversaturation of blame.

Sorcery is still crippled by the senselessly higher stat investment required as well as the ring tax. And wearing what is practically a dunce cap in the dusk crown.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Honestly one of the real problems with miracles is placement. They put the key to cleric offense in PvE, Emit Force, halfway through the goddamn game. Being able to chain knockdown guys and do damage is exactly what you need as a cleric, since Lightning Spear is now a much more specialized spell used as a powerful followup to a knockdown or solid dodge. That, too, is long past what can be called the intro. On top of that, you don't get to cash in for Sacred Oath or Great Lightning Spear until pretty close to the end. Consider how in dark souls 1, the only real impediment to getting the lightning spears was your faith and how much you co-opped. In 2, lightning spear along with emit force were in one of the first areas you could go to. In 3 you have to slog through the first few areas with a slow casting force that costs a ton before you can even get something to hurt bad guys with your high faith.

The other caster plague also effects clerics, how much goddamn attunement they need for spell slots. They finally have a reason for casters to put in a ton of points after their spell slots are already fulfilled, but it now takes a fuckin' billion points to get where you used to be. In order to get a (pretty nuts) 5, you used to only have to put in 19. It's 30 now! 30! If you want a wide variety of spells to choose from, you have to just bump attunement forever when you used to only take it pretty high.

Grondoth fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 28, 2016

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Obligatum VII posted:

Sorcery is still crippled by the senselessly higher stat investment required as well as the ring tax. And wearing what is practically a dunce cap in the dusk crown.

The dunce cap, dunce offhand and dunce rings are things I dont think they will remove.
But I just hope they nerf the previous two and buff sorcs in general.

Hope springs eternal, after all.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Sanctum posted:

The hacking in multiplayer isn't that bad. I've played the game a ton since launch and only run into a few hackers.

The game is really good, just like every Souls game. Also like every Souls game, it has some really stupid flaws and issues that have no business being in the game. That isn't enough to spoil the whole game though.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

loving FINALLY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHZk_XcliFw

Probably 8-10 hours in-game time in the making

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Smol posted:

Right. Guess I'll forget the covenant grind. Did a few hours of level ~35 watchdog pvp, that is, mostly I was just running from 3 man gank squads with hornet rings and stuff.
Aldrich's isn't bad at all. Was hanging out at the crocodog bonfire last night and summons were constant, think the longest I had to wait was about 30 seconds. I'd say 20% of the time the host would die just as I spawned in, 30% of the time I'd end up with a buddy and we'd take out the host, 30% of the time I'd die in a gank squad, and then the other 20 was 1 on 1 fights. I don't get bluebro summons and watchdogs were very infrequent, so it's nice to see something working :v:

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Having trouble finding jolly cooperation in Untended Graves and Archdragon Peak :-(

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Grondoth posted:

Honestly one of the real problems with miracles is placement. They put the key to cleric offense in PvE, Emit Force, halfway through the goddamn game. Being able to chain knockdown guys and do damage is exactly what you need as a cleric, since Lightning Spear is now a much more specialized spell used as a powerful followup to a knockdown or solid dodge. That, too, is long past what can be called the intro. On top of that, you don't get to cash in for Sacred Oath or Great Lightning Spear until pretty close to the end. Consider how in dark souls 1, the only real impediment to getting the lightning spears was your faith and how much you co-opped. In 2, lightning spear along with emit force were in one of the first areas you could go to. In 3 you have to slog through the first few areas with a slow casting force that costs a ton before you can even get something to hurt bad guys with your high faith.

The other caster plague also effects clerics, how much goddamn attunement they need for spell slots. They finally have a reason for casters to put in a ton of points after their spell slots are already fulfilled, but it now takes a fuckin' billion points to get where you used to be. In order to get a (pretty nuts) 5, you used to only have to put in 19. It's 30 now! 30! If you want a wide variety of spells to choose from, you have to just bump attunement forever when you used to only take it pretty high.

I think lightning is cool, so let's use lightning on my weapons this time around!

*Lightning is unlocked by Anor Londo Coal. Lightning Buff is in the Dungeon. Every lightning miracle but default javelin is gated or a boss soul*

Fuuuuuck.

actionjackson posted:

loving FINALLY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHZk_XcliFw

Probably 8-10 hours in-game time in the making
But you did it! The princes are a mega dick because of the rez slog anyways, despite big bro being "predictable" outside of particularly dick move teleports. I still died to them the most of any boss and that was with 27 VIG and a black iron shield.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe
this guy made another video; not sure how often he's going to update, but it's pretty entertaining:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSwyjiBgrfQ

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Yeah he said he was going to stream the rest of Bloodborne on Twitch, hasn't streamed it even once. :mad:

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Sanctum posted:

Steam reviews are poo poo, don't read them unless you want to marvel at concentrated stupid.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I'm on ps4. I was getting chained summoned before starting ng+. I haven't been summoned since. I get the failed to join session every drat time. Pretty frustrating. I'm going to try another covenant to see what happens but I want that god drat sorcery.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.

Grondoth posted:

And you don't get blessed weapon until well after Carthus where it'd be useful. drat shame, it's religious persecution is what it is.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Section Z posted:

But you did it! The princes are a mega dick because of the rez slog anyways, despite big bro being "predictable" outside of particularly dick move teleports. I still died to them the most of any boss and that was with 27 VIG and a black iron shield.

Did you notice my attack rating at the end? That's not considering the buff. I think carthus rouge is better than any other buff unless a boss is just immune to bleed.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

actionjackson posted:

Did you notice my attack rating at the end? That's not considering the buff. I think carthus rouge is better than any other buff unless a boss is just immune to bleed.

I'm hardly an expert, just a guy who wildly flip flops between chump idiot and "Oh so the Nameless King is dead now that I just crossbowed his dragon do death".

I went in with a +8 Raw Flamberge (double checking the wiki, that's 325 :downs:) so your had about the same AR as I did, on a faster sword anyways. But my slow plodding playstyle gets a lot more leeway with 1,300 HP. I also took to using the stairs to give myself better swings at captain piggyback during the second phase. But you have more luxury to use stupid ideas when you can survive more hits. (I could have carthused him with my barbed straight sword, but stubborn+Actual Statistics).

For examples of my boring bosses to death tactics. My victory round against the consumed king was basically me jousting him to death rather than deal with his charge hitbox for his second phase. Dodge/90% stamina block the charge, slice him in the ankles once or twice, back off and wait until he charges, repeat. Again though, you have the luxury to extend the time and risk of gently caress ups with a normal health bar.

Don't let anyone poo poo talk your SL1 run. That's loving hard no matter how many savants do it while also breaking speed run records.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:07 on May 28, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

NT Plus posted:

Anri dying just because I missed some hidden creature with no signs whatsoever around it is probably the lamest poo poo that ever happened in a souls game for me. But then I also never saved Solaire in DS1. Guess I'm just bad at keeping people alive. :saddowns:

Hell of a weird wedding after the fact though. :stonk:

Who doesnt want to smash the hell out of statues of children though?

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Jaaam posted:

And you don't get blessed weapon until well after Carthus where it'd be useful. drat shame, it's religious persecution is what it is.

Well this is the game that tries to make Patches out to be some unbreakable badass after all. It makes sense miracles would follow suit.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Section Z posted:

I'm hardly an expert, just a guy who wildly flip flops between chump idiot and "Oh so the Nameless King is dead now that I just crossbowed his dragon do death".

I went in with a +8 Raw Flamberge (double checking the wiki, that's 325 :downs:) so your had about the same AR as I did, on a faster sword anyways. But my slow plodding playstyle gets a lot more leeway with 1,300 HP. I also took to using the stairs to give myself better swings at captain piggyback during the second phase. But you have more luxury to use stupid ideas when you can survive more hits. (I could have carthused him with my barbed straight sword, but stubborn+Actual Statistics).

For examples of my boring bosses to death tactics. My victory round against the consumed king was basically me jousting him to death rather than deal with his charge hitbox for his second phase. Dodge/90% stamina block the charge, slice him in the ankles once or twice, back off and wait until he charges, repeat. Again though, you have the luxury to extend the time and risk of gently caress ups with a normal health bar.

Don't let anyone poo poo talk your SL1 run. That's loving hard no matter how many savants do it while also breaking speed run records.

You could actually use that weapon with just the dex ring if you two hand it, it has a 395 AR at +10 but it's certainly slower and would require a lot more stamina, which I don't have much of. Straight swords are just too OP right now when you consider the damage you do for the amount of stamina required.

Another insanely OP weapon when used with carthus rouge is the bandit knife. Apparently it just tears up Oceiros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

Guys I am having a shitload of trouble with Pontiff Sulyvahn. I'm a Lv50 Dex build using a +5 sharp uchigatana and the Dragon Crest shield for fire/magic def. His first form kicked me around for a good while until I realised that for all his endless attacks he generally isn't fast enough to actually hit me before I recover from the guard break stagger, and now I'm mostly able to beat the first half of the fight without using more than one Estus. Then he summons that clone and together they inevitably get around my guard through positioning or brute force, and hammer me.

The closest I've come is putting some fire on my sword and summoning the NPC guy outside, who at least managed to take out the clone before getting killed, but then Sulyvahn just summoned another clone and immediately proceeded to lock me into an inescapable flurry of attacks that took me down from full health in seconds. I'm on about my tenth try now and I'm not getting anywhere near a win. Any advice?