Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Hey cool I jumped right into a conversation about mental illness I see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Knyteguy posted:

It's cool, hth

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Knyteguy posted:

Please don't try to make everything you're around about yourself, darling.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Dias posted:

I'll bite: which characters are pandering?

Reaper is an attempt to create an antisocial 13-year-old boy's wet dream, Genji is what someone thinks weeaboos will love, D.Va is south korean gamer blackface, etc.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Hypha posted:

I find that Zarya's laser beam at lower charge to be garbage. It barely tickles it seems. Below 50%, the M2 is a lot better to do something. After you hit around 50%, the beam gets respectable and the grenades start to hurt. At 100%, you are chasing down Reapers and McCrees, laughing like a maniac as they evaporate.

Zarya M1 does better dps than M2 at every charge percent

M1 @ 0% = 80 dps
M1 @ 100% = 150
M2 @ 0% = 46 dps
M2 @ 100% = 95 dps

if your tracking isn't great sure do whatever, but low percent M2s are barely tickling people if you're just shooting a single person

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Zorodius posted:

D.Va is south korean gamer blackface

New thread title?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Zorodius posted:

D.Va is south korean gamer blackface

Quoting for posterity

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Zorodius posted:

Reaper is an attempt to create an antisocial 13-year-old boy's wet dream, Genji is what someone thinks weeaboos will love, D.Va is south korean gamer blackface, etc.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Getting steamrolled over and over makes this game feel not so fun. I know I'm bad at it but I still would like to find a way to enjoy myself other than being the center of someone else's play of the game over and over.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

same

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

tonight on Overwatch Investigations: Gabriel Reyes, known more commonly by his callsign "Reaper," is he a blackface black man, or simply pandering to fans of Bowling for Columbine? Something Awful reports. But first, a message from your local resident shitposter

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
The Overwatch character who is incredibly, astonishingly popular in the nation that it represents is, actually, a filthy racist caricature equivalent to the "blackface" portrayals depicted in nineteenth and twentieth century America.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.

Minrad posted:

tonight on Overwatch Investigations: Gabriel Reyes, known more commonly by his callsign "Reaper," is he a blackface black man, or simply pandering to fans of Bowling for Columbine? Something Awful reports. But first, a message from your local resident shitposter

He's Mexican or something, not black, stop blackwatching.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Zorodius posted:

I mean, it's the same poo poo as every other piece of media ever produced then. They know their fanbase and used stereotypes or play on stereotypes that will be easily recognizable by them. Same goes to any AAA-release, and the ones that shy away from those stereotypes are "pandering" to the "tumblrite", so there's no way to win here.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
D.Va was listed at 16 officially for a long time until weebs happened and well, now she's definitely 19 you guys.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
As a Buddhist robot, I feel like Zenyatta is an offensive stereotype.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Dick Trauma posted:

Getting steamrolled over and over makes this game feel not so fun. I know I'm bad at it but I still would like to find a way to enjoy myself other than being the center of someone else's play of the game over and over.

have you tried playing Lucio or Mercy? They're great for winrate, since your team probably desperately needs one, and they're easy to play.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Do pro Koreans play dva or is she too bad?

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler
Phara's Native American legendary skins are problematic.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

TheTatteredKing posted:

I bet there will be at least one dedicated D.Va main in South Korea, if this game catches on as an ~~e-sport~~

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

TheTatteredKing posted:

The pro games they had at that pre-launch event a few weeks back basically only featured D.Va in her standard final point cart-stalling role. Meta was overall similar to NA/EU, although with a weird propensity for Genji over Tracer/McCree on KotH and a lot of Roadhog.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Nodelphi posted:

This one is actually funny, they have a Buddhist with Egyptian skins, and a Egyptian with Native American skins.

Edit: it's like how the Pandarian used to wear samurai armour and use katanas. Blizzard don't understand Other Cultures very well.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Zorodius posted:

he's chuuni

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Dias posted:

I'll bite: which characters are pandering?

Soldier 76 caters to gamers who are starting to feel old but liked Unreal Tournament even though they were only sorta okay at it.

Way to hit my nail on the head, Blizzard.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

This one is actually funny, they have a Buddhist with Egyptian skins, and a Egyptian with Native American skins.

Edit: it's like how the Pandarian used to wear samurai armour and use katanas. Blizzard don't understand Other Cultures very well.

So would pandarens be blackface or whiteface, or would you just call it more of a greyface?

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Minrad posted:

So would pandarens be blackface or whiteface, or would you just call it more of a greyface?

Furface, they're appropriating furry culture.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Minrad posted:

The dude who made them up is a gross furry so

Thoughtless posted:

Furface, they're appropriating furry culture.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Zorodius posted:

have you tried playing Lucio or Mercy? They're great for winrate, since your team probably desperately needs one, and they're easy to play.

I did and had a good game as Lucio yesterday but this afternoon it was just one awful match after another until the last one. Things like using Reinhardt to smash Tracer into a wall, then hitting her twice with my hammer and she was still alive and oh a one second burst from her pistols is enough to kill me from full health. Any time I played Mercy I was always getting shot in the back by someone no matter how far behind I hung out.

I feel like there's some basic aspects that I don't understand. Maybe terms like "tank" don't mean what they do in other games.

I also am getting thrown off by things like dropping Rein's shield to whack someone, and the point of view changes so drastically that I can't keep track of my target. I just spin helplessly until someone kills me. I can't remember experiencing that sort of thing in earlier games of this type, like Team Fortress and I don't know how to adjust. I expect most of my deaths are because I can't tell what's going on around me.

Is part of this game to just stop thinking about whether or not you're going to get killed and keep flinging yourself toward the other team? With the incredible amount of offense that can get thrown into a small area living more than a few moments after encountering the other team seems unlikely.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Section Z posted:

Soldier 76 caters to gamers who are starting to feel old but liked Unreal Tournament even though they were only sorta okay at it.

Way to hit my nail on the head, Blizzard.

It's the exact opposite: S76 caters to younger gamers who have been raised on a generation of CoD/CS-style FPSes and have no idea what the gently caress grandpa is yammering on about when he starts talking excitedly about "rocket jumps."

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

Vermain posted:

The pro games they had at that pre-launch event a few weeks back basically only featured D.Va in her standard final point cart-stalling role. Meta was overall similar to NA/EU, although with a weird propensity for Genji over Tracer/McCree on KotH and a lot of Roadhog.

I also noticed they didnt run as much widow as the rest of the world. Some korean player said that their widows arent as good as na/eu widows yet.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Also people keep saying Pharah is for Quake 3 Arena players which is wrong and stupid.

She's for TRIBES players. Her rocket launcher has almost no splash but insane hit damage, just like a spinfuser. and she has a jetpack with limited fuel that refills fast.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Minrad posted:

i totally read this as the unsolved mysteries guy's voice.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

I think the funniest thing to me is that Blizz couldn't think of how to make a Brazilian stereotype that wasn't mean-spirited so we just got native English speaker DJ that likes hooooockey????

Did Brazil get really cold because of Overwatch-lore events? Like, legit question here.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Nodelphi posted:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Dias posted:

I think the funniest thing to me is that Blizz couldn't think of how to make a Brazilian stereotype that wasn't mean-spirited so we just got native English speaker DJ that likes hooooockey????

Did Brazil get really cold because of Overwatch-lore events? Like, legit question here.

This is all merely a part of Blizzard's continuing anti-Canada agenda.

That's a fairly common representation of the Hindu goddess Kali, yes, although with a loop of cartoony skulls instead of severed heads.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 28, 2016

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Dias posted:

Robots murdered the sun in Brazil, and then stole all the asses.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Dias posted:

How about Torbjörn though, he's Blizzard's idea of Sweden.

So, dwarven engineers, or bikers or pirates.

I think it's better to think of them as some fantasy countries that happen to have the same names as IRL.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Dias posted:

Wait he is Brazilian? why not soccer?

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

What's wrong with this one? Google Kali and you'll see more tits, arms and fewer clothes

I'm Indian btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Vermain posted:

This is all merely a part of Blizzard's continuing anti-Canada agenda.

A Canadian by any other name...

I mean, he joins Sean from Street Fighter 3 on the list of "okay, but this guy is really from North America tho" Brazilians.