Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

boom boom boom posted:

Just because a movie doesn't answer your questions doesn't automatically make it good. A movie can not answer questions in satisfying or unsatisfying ways

I'm not really interested in whether or not other people think Prometheus is good. I think its good, that's enough for me.

I was responding to the specific comment that was made about how the movie doesn't make sense and its impossible to reconcile it with Alien. That's simply not true if you have even an ounce of imagination, which is something Prometheus optimistically assumes you have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The black goo could of been Jesus.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Tenzarin posted:

The black goo could of been Jesus.

Jesus is actually in the movie. He's depicted as a crucified Alien similar to the brown slimey turd monster birthed from the unholy union between a walking marble statue and a Lovecraftian tentacle rape monster.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Please don't tell me the engineers were supposed to look like classical statues of gods because on classical times they were painted and extremely colourful bordering on clown like.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Baronjutter posted:

Please don't tell me the engineers were supposed to look like classical statues of gods because on classical times they were painted and extremely colourful bordering on clown like.

So it is true, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat is the one true god!

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Baronjutter posted:

But the most common depictions of them and their popular conception are different from their actual historical reality.

It's not that the Greeks saw the Engineers and made white statues; it's that the filmmakers wanted to make the Prometheus - Greek God - Marble statue connection in their audience's mind.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Baronjutter posted:

The "clown like" part is a misunderstanding. They only found traces of the base paints, which, as every warhammer 40k player can tell you, are much brighter than the whole thing ends up once you'e applied washes and highlights.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

boom boom boom posted:

The "clown like" part is a misunderstanding. They only found traces of the base paints, which, as every warhammer 40k player can tell you, are much brighter than the whole thing ends up once you'e applied washes and highlights.

How many points is Zeus worth? :v:

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Hunterhr posted:

How many points is Zeus worth? :v:

Cost you a hundred drachmas to find out when they release the new myths

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Clipperton posted:

Cost you a hundred drachmas to find out when they release the new myths

So thats why greece was always fighting!

Corvo
Feb 5, 2015

Baronjutter posted:

Actually their design was based on handsome Squidward.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tenzarin posted:

If the movie requires you to watch clips on a website to understand the plot and why they hired a young guy to be weyland with the "best" old people makeup, its a bad movie.

That's not why they did the old make up at all. There was a few scenes where David was supposed to visit Weyland in his dreams which took place on an expensive space boat. He would be in his ideal younger self, of course. But it was too expensive. By the time they nixed the scene entirely, they already cast and made the make up for Guy Pierce.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tenzarin posted:

Red letter media covers a lot of the plot issues in their Prometheus spoiler thing, you should check it out.

Also, this is basically a joke video. Jay himself confirmed it on their forum.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Baronjutter posted:

This seemed like a reasonable move to me honestly because of how far beyond the domain of any one mythology or religion the movie places humanity and its creation. Prometheus' intro is literally a reenactment Norse creation mythology. Ymir the frost giant/first living thing ever bleeding poison into a river giving painful birth to life on our world. That the Engineers simultaneously work as parallels for both Norse and Greco-Roman mythology* is impressive to me. I don't mean this like "they look like statues" but from one of the old interpretations of the titans being that they were white faced from covering their faces in ash before going to do stuff. The word titan itself just having its origins of "a dude of huge stature/credibility" makes me think they were going more for that, the idea that they're meant to look like statues didn't even occur to me when I watched the movie for the reasons you say.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Baronjutter posted:

I remember thinking this too. My dumb as bricks friend was astounded at how deep it was, so it had the desired effect on them.

- Efb.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 28, 2016

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Baronjutter posted:

My main issue with humans and engineers looking identical is... how did they do it? There's a pretty drat good fossil and genetic chain showing how humans and our various ancestor species evolved. If the engineers created humans they also must have created every other human ancestor, guiding them every step of the way.

They were guiding humanity; that's why you have the stone tablets that depicting the gods' message to humanity. The Engineers are Zeus, Ganesh and whatever.

The basic premise of the film is 'what if the pagan gods of antiquity actually existed, and a bunch of religious people from 2013 actually met them.' Scott is not making a documentary proving the existence of ancient aliens, but presenting the pseudoscientific 'ancient aliens' concept with a straight-faced seriousness in order to satirize it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

They were guiding humanity; that's why you have the stone tablets that depicting the gods' message to humanity. The Engineers are Zeus, Ganesh and whatever.

That's not what the person you were replying to said. The implication from what he mentioned is that the Engineers have been loving around in the gene pool since before homo sapiens was a thing, and that they also created homo erectus, Neanderthals, australopithecus, etc.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

That's not what the person you were replying to said. The implication from what he mentioned is that the Engineers have been loving around in the gene pool since before homo sapiens was a thing, and that they also created homo erectus, Neanderthals, australopithecus, etc.

Right, and that's all implicit in the film.

The opening scene is presented as a fantasy sequence (i.e., it cuts to a close-up of Shaw doing research) - and, if interpreted literally, does not take place on Earth. It, rather, shows the Engineers sacrificing someone to their god.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

The basic premise of the film is 'what if the pagan gods of antiquity actually existed, and a bunch of religious people from 2013 actually met them.' Scott is not making a documentary proving the existence of ancient aliens, but presenting the pseudoscientific 'ancient aliens' concept with a straight-faced seriousness in order to satirize it.

Why did they leave maps to their bases with weapons of mass destruction.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Classic trek did it better

Corvo
Feb 5, 2015

Tenzarin posted:

Spite.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Hubris

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Tenzarin posted:

See, here you've already lost the point.

Prometheus' story centres around the interpretation of an artwork (or a series of artworks), and the interpretation that the artwork is an invitation ('a map to something') is declared false by the protagonist.

Now, we can all tell you what the artwork is a hubristic display of naked power, but that's unsatisfying. Only you can take on the burden of interpretation.

No-one can believe for you.

Are you familiar with the myth of the Tower of Babel? How do you interpret this myth? Does God want you to unite all the languages and come visit him?

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 28, 2016

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!
The iconography of the Xenomorph in the storage room is very religious in nature, while also being a biohazard sign.

It's quite possible that the Engineers were playing with something they understood poorly. Possibly something they did not create.

Ridley Scott made an off handed remark about Jesus once. It is nowhere in the film Prometheus.

Tenzarin posted:

The definition of insanity is trying to pretend the alien universe makes sense.

Tenzarin posted:

The definition of insanity is trying to pretend the universe makes sense.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 21:35 on May 28, 2016

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

Baronjutter posted:

The original painted versions aren't what influenced thousands of years of Western culture.

Like, do you think that Michelangelo's David is "wrong" once you know that the style he was reinventing was originally colorful and painted?

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 28, 2016

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

SirDrone posted:

What happens if a facehugger face hugs a fellow alien?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOk5bYrL6Tg

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I've seen Alien/s plenty of times and Alien is in my top five films ever but I never watched beyond those two films. I'm rewatching them at the moment so should I make this cut my first Alien 3 experience?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

EmmyOk posted:

I've seen Alien/s plenty of times and Alien is in my top five films ever but I never watched beyond those two films. I'm rewatching them at the moment so should I make this cut my first Alien 3 experience?

Yes, but the theatrical cut is worth watching just to see what got removed/changed, because it's pretty substantial. Whole subplots get changed, the beginning and ending, even the creature the Alien pops out of gets changed.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

EmmyOk posted:

It's not worth watching the theatrical cut honestly, but DEFINITELY after you see the work print check out a comparison online. There are some interesting alternate shots that were used and the way they worked around completely removing a major plot point of the movie is "interesting" (basically in the theatrical version several characters mysteriously don't show up anymore out of nowhere and no one notices or cares).

There is one shot not in the work print, it's a cool miniature shot of a ship being moved by crane with some characters standing on it as it's being lifted up. Amazing shot in concept but I can understand why it was left out, it's pretty unconvincing and they were wise to spend their resources restoring the parts of the film that they did.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Xenomrph posted:

Yeah the tech level complaint never bothered me that much. Like, I understood where people were coming from, but it wasn't something that derailed the movie for me.

Of course the "space tug vs science yacht" comparison makes a bit less sense when you factor in 'Aliens' (with its "state of the badass art" military warship nearly a century after 'Prometheus') or 'Alien Resurrection' (with its experimental science vessel nearly 3 centuries after Pronetheus) :v:

I can actually get behind that comparison. If you look at modern military hardware (up to and including next-gen fighters and aircraft carriers) the hardware appears at a glance be be much more low-tech that you'd expect. The main reason behind this is that the more fancy the gizmo the more chances it has to break, which is why the military tends towards rugged and simple in its equipment and trains folks to do their job without fancy equipment first and foremost.

Plus Hudson's opinion is a little skewed since his entire speech is wagging his dick at Ripley. I could brag to an unaware civilian about an MRAP being a state-of-the-art armored vehicle but when you look under it you realize it's just a glorified truck cab with some armor bolted to it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

So... a bigger facehugger comes out? That just raises further questions. :psyduck:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I really like Alien 3 but I still feel it only works if you make allowances for its troubled production. I would have loved to see the moody character piece that Fincher was aiming for and which the Assembly Cut only gets partway towards realising.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
The Aliens franchise has always been a product of luck and circumstance, I think. The first movie was written by some pretty sketchy dudes and could easily have been atrocious if Ridley Scott had not come across Giger in a good mood and also turned out to be such a great director. Although, we now know that without everything coming together with the script and the casting as it did he's not talented enough to have brought it home on his own shoulders (Prometheus).

Aliens seems like it's the most well-crafted of the movies. They got competent and reliable people in to make something that worked by the numbers, without relying on any temperamental artists who may or may not have delivered such as in the rest of the franchise. I realize the first movie is better, but I think they got lucky. Cameron is as close as they've come to having a guy with direction and a head on his shoulders in control of the franchise and they should have had him make Alien 3 or not at all.

The production of Alien 3 was such a mishmash of horrible "out there" ideas. I get that the first movie shocked audiences, and the second one was hard to top as a straight up action-adventure movie, but clearly they lacked someone to take the reins on the thing. Maybe they tried to correct for that with the fourth movie and ended up going too far, or maybe they never learned their lesson because resurrection has not one, but two "artistes" clashing and fighting for control leaving the movie a jumbled mess.

The AVP franchise that follows is boring as gently caress, but at least they recognized some kind of formula (make old-school monster movies with alien warriors constantly killing things) that somewhat meets the low bar they've set for themselves. The Aliens franchise since Aliens is still missing a red thread, and that's why the Blomkamp movie is most likely going to be horrible.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jun 1, 2016

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Biomute posted:

The Aliens franchise has always been a product of luck and circumstance, I think. The first movie was written by some pretty sketchy dudes and could easily have been atrocious if Ridley Scott had not come across Giger in a good mood and also turned out to be such a great director. Although, we now know that without everything coming together with the script and the casting as it did he's not talented enough to have brought it home on his own shoulders (Prometheus).

Aliens seems like it's the most well-crafted of the movies. They got competent and reliable people in to make something that worked by the numbers, without relying on any temperamental artists who may or may not have delivered such as in the rest of the franchise. I realize the first movie is better, but I think they got lucky. Cameron is as close as they've come to having a guy with direction and a head on his shoulders in control of the franchise and they should have had him make Alien 3 or not at all.

I think you've bought WAY too hard into auteur theory here. Every movie is a product of the team's collaborative effort and a large helping of luck and circumstance. There is not a director alive that can save a movie if the script, cast and crew aren't coming together - and while keeping the team together is part of the director's responsibility, it's as much or more on the shoulders of the producers and studio.

Aliens may arguably come across as coming from a more deliberate, singular vision, but it's as much a product of luck and circumstance as its predecessor: Cameron's lucky the producers let him both write and direct rather than one or the other; he's lucky the studio was developing an Alien sequel just as he was coming off The Terminator so he could get this opportunity; Cameron also happened to get his wife onboard as a producer who would have an obvious personal commmitment to his vision; it was fortunate that Cameron already had a rough outline for a sci-fi action/horror creature feature that he could easily fit with the Alien IP; and the entire production was lucky to be able to inherit Sigourney Weaver, the alien creature design and Scott and Giger's visual aesthetic from the first Alien film.

I realize I'm probably overreacting a bit and you do bring up some solid points in general. Honestly I think something about the wording of "he's not talented enough to have brought it home on his own shoulders" just rubbed me the wrong way; like a director 'should' be expected to be able to carry a studio feature on his own.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The avp movies were good!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

They were entertaining, which isn't the same as good.

It's actually better.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

lizardman posted:

I realize I'm probably overreacting a bit and you do bring up some solid points in general. Honestly I think something about the wording of "he's not talented enough to have brought it home on his own shoulders" just rubbed me the wrong way; like a director 'should' be expected to be able to carry a studio feature on his own.

I can see where you're coming from and I don't think it's only about talent either, but it does seem like the first movie was very much a case of lucky happenstance, with a bunch of different visions coming together and somehow managing to congeal into a near perfect piece of art. I know, you can say that about every movie, but it stands out in interviews and such they seem surprised it even worked.

Aliens seems different. Cameron takes a personal hand in everything, including distancing himself from the more volatile people from the first movie (Giger for instance) and he also takes the internal logic from the first movie to its next logical step, coming up with the design for the Queen pretty much on his own. So what if he only had the opportunity for so much control because of previous achievements and personal connections? The point is that he got it done.

I think its fair to blame Ridley for Prometheus not being a good Alien prequel. Whatever he's saying now, that was what he originally sold it as and he has both clout and talent. His vision was lacking. It's a stupid hypothetical to argue for sure, but Cameron seems like he had all three, and I think it's going to be vital for the success of further Aliens movies to find someone who also has that. Or get lucky, I guess.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Biomute posted:

I can see where you're coming from and I don't think it's only about talent either, but it does seem like the first movie was very much a case of lucky happenstance, with a bunch of different visions coming together and somehow managing to congeal into a near perfect piece of art. I know, you can say that about every movie, but it stands out in interviews and such they seem surprised it even worked.

Aliens seems different. Cameron takes a personal hand in everything, including distancing himself from the more volatile people from the first movie (Giger for instance) and he also takes the internal logic from the first movie to its next logical step, coming up with the design for the Queen pretty much on his own. So what if he only had the opportunity for so much control because of previous achievements and personal connections? The point is that he got it done.

I think its fair to blame Ridley for Prometheus not being a good Alien prequel. Whatever he's saying now, that was what he originally sold it as and he has both clout and talent. His vision was lacking. It's a stupid hypothetical to argue for sure, but Cameron seems like he had all three, and I think it's going to be vital for the success of further Aliens movies to find someone who also has that. Or get lucky, I guess.

So Ridley Scott, the guy who hired Giger, benefited from lucky happenstance, but then Cameron was taking a personal hand in everything by not hiring Giger and just aping the art design of the first movie?

You know there was also a creature designer not named James Cameron working on Aliens right? And not just any effects artist, one of the most iconic and influential of all-time. So I'm really not sure why we should be giving Cameron the credit for Aliens, yet take it away from Scott who also worked with talented fx people.

As far as Prometheus goes, Ridley Scott has always worked within the studio system and I don't know how much control he would have been able to exert over marketing. I agree with you that the marketing campaign set people up for disappointment, but I'm not convinced the blame for that should go to Scott. Judged on its own merits, separate from any marketing, my personal opinion is that Prometheus is better than Aliens, but I know that may be controversial.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

You know there was also a creature designer not named James Cameron working on Aliens right? And not just any effects artist, one of the most iconic and influential of all-time. So I'm really not sure why we should be giving Cameron the credit for Aliens, yet take it away from Scott who also worked with talented fx people.

Cameron really did design the Queen though:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

The avp movies were good!

The first one is probably the low point of the franchise, but the second one (which I just watched for the first time a couple nights ago) is surprisingly good and pretty, once I cranked up the brightness on my TV. I like that it presents the xenomorphs as being really nasty fuckers, which I think was a smart way to make them still intimidating given how overexposed they are. And the predator as an anti-hero protagonist was great. Even the humans were surprisingly enjoyable for this sort of thing. Seeing the guy who played Mark Fuhrman in American Crime Story again was fun.

Alhazred posted:

Cameron really did design the Queen though:

Nice job, Cameron. You design a female alien, so naturally she's got to be sticking her butt out.