Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Zest posted:

This right here was my last straw. Why they chose to go this route, I don't know, but it's just... boring :sigh:.

I heard Evochron Legacy was good?

:byewhore:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Weirdos in Bond villain lairs building absurd contraptions if no one else can help and you know where to find them is boring?

Boring would be 'well done star commando 4th class, take this rank badge and heat damage railgun'.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Boring is the grind this game has become.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Always funny when people play a sandbox but get bored and confused without a flashing arrow over the next waypoint and a dot point mission list.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
The apparent change to the lighting system on planets is cool. There's a lot more obvious visual variety between planets orbiting different colors of stars, which goes well with the surface enhancements. And the performance optimization is just great.

EDIT: Does anyone know what's the significance of an orange cargo container instead of the typical blue? Not finding any info from some initial searching.

timn fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 28, 2016

Hierophant
Oct 21, 2007

DancingShade posted:

Always funny when people play a sandbox but get bored and confused without a flashing arrow over the next waypoint and a dot point mission list.

E:D is not really a "sandbox" though, you can't build or change anything other than your bank account balance.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Hierophant posted:

E:D is not really a "sandbox" though, you can't build or change anything other than your bank account balance.

That's the real problem. It's a sandbox, we have shovels, but even with our shovels we can barely move the sand.

Hierophant
Oct 21, 2007
There's 100 billion stars in the milky way, literally every person on earth could have ten stars, yet the devs seem completely terrified of the idea of player owned anything.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I'm sure the people who play FSX get pissed that they can't buy airports.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

At this point I can't even tell if he is ironically posting. Or is this like a deep meta wherein he posts on behalf of the frontier forum masses?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Knifegrab posted:

At this point I can't even tell if he is ironically posting. Or is this like a deep meta wherein he posts on behalf of the frontier forum masses?

I think that's almost all of us at this point. The lines where we all complain about something, and then sass someone else later for complaining about the same thing blur more as time goes by.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Knifegrab posted:

your a garbage poster

all t all shade

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

As the days slowed and time began to cease so too did the arguments. The grind is good became the grind simply was. And so it went on until the end of time, a grind which was neither good nor bad. A grind to ships that were all the same in a galaxy filled with the same stars and masses. Space hauling became space living. Elite wasn't just a game, it was my career.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

But they can: http://www.fseconomy.net/

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

This link sent my AV software crazy and I've never seen it do that lmao

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZN_yZ07-18

Someone post that everything is fine jpeg.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Xae posted:

Umm its Elite: Dangerous not Elite: Game People Play for Fun :jerkbag:

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Zest posted:

This right here was my last straw. Why they chose to go this route, I don't know, but it's just... boring :sigh:.

I heard Evochron Legacy was good?

Can I gently caress inside your ships? A ship unfucked in is a shame.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
Friends, I am beginning to worry that Frontier doesn't know what makes games fun.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Toops posted:

Friends, I am beginning to worry that Frontier doesn't know what makes games fun.

There is a fight going on inside Frontier and I wonder who is winning.

spaph
Dec 1, 2015

Toops posted:

It's okay, you do; that's why you're making one. :3:

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

nightwisher posted:

FDev are the kind of people who care more about the headcannon of whatever stupid dumb thing they implemented than how the playerbase reacts to it and how good or bad it is for the game. Engineer-modded weapons could simply have been folded into the standard weapon selection and leave the actual module enhancement as a recipe you use. I'm glad they added deterministic ways to choose the special effect, but it just seems like a hell of a stretch of REALISM to have these genius tinkerers literally just throwing poo poo together and being like "Hey i uh just trivially invented an entirely new weapon concept, um take it i guess".

I think people (including me) would've been more or less fine if not slightly disappointed with what the engineers offered if they hadn't put the gun special effects literally as a headline feature of this patch.

When they reduced the probability and everyone started bitching they came up with that lame-rear end excuse for not being able to choose your thing, but whatever, we got our deterministic way to get them so v:shobon:v.

They really need to learn to manage people's expecations and stop pulling the rug from under people.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Is there a support group for people like me who still have fun in the space game.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Out of curiosity: what are people looking for, exactly, content-wise? Everyone always throws that line around, no content, mile wide, inch deep etc etc, but I never really got what people are expecting. There seems to be plenty of stuff to do in the game, especially now that there's this whole randomized loot/farming/grinding thing added in. Lots of interesting ways to customize your ship. Like at what point do you say "OK, there's an adequate amount of things to do"?

The game needed to go in the direction of more stuff to do. Instead it went in the direction of more things to grind. Game design has been in an insane devolution phase since cod4, where almost all multiplayer games are focused almost entirely on an endless treadmill of "you got stuff, means you had fun" at the expense of things being actually fun.

There's no need of endlessly patching in new things to grind, just things to do. If they're fun, people will enjoy them. It doesn't matter if you eventually hit an endgame state where money is meaningless if the mechanics are good and you get the urge to do (insert activity you find fun here) every once in a while, because the entire loving reason to play games is to have fun, not to jack off in some faux-work environment where you don't actually earn anything real. What discourages people from playing is when you put in a bunch of bullshit that they have to grind for if they want to feel like they're doing that enjoyable activity "right".

A lot of the things in the game are indeed a mile wide and an inch deep. Simple things like adding new, different spawns to various zones, reworking combat zones to have more of an ebb and flow rather than just a nonstop single-level orgy of combat... Just making more of the things the game already had fun would have kept people going.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 28, 2016

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

spaph posted:

It's okay, you do; that's why you're making one. :3:

Why yes. Yes I do. It's immersive getting into your cockpit animations. Unskippable, of course. :smuggo:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

grilldos posted:

Is there a support group for people like me who still have fun in the space game.

Discord I guess.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

K8.0 posted:

There's no need of endlessly patching in new things to grind, just things to do. If they're fun, people will enjoy them. It doesn't matter if you eventually hit an endgame state where money is meaningless if the mechanics are good and you get the urge to do (insert activity you find fun here) every once in a while, because the entire loving reason to play games is to have fun, not to jack off in some faux-work environment where you don't actually earn anything real. What discourages people from playing is when you put in a bunch of bullshit that they have to grind for if they want to feel like they're doing that enjoyable activity "right".

Conversely, adding things to achieve while doing the things you already do in the game adds to some people's enjoyment.

I get your point tho, but it seems like you and the developers see things differently.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

KakerMix posted:

There is a fight going on inside Frontier and I wonder who is winning.

Sarah Jane Anderson is winning.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Xae posted:

The people who make this game are unintelligent.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

Xae posted:

What's the big problem? I don't see anyth-:stare:

timn
Mar 16, 2010
I wouldn't even be mad the first time, holy lol.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Gonna reiterate that grind and weirdness would be 100% more tolerable if the game had any more character than Microsoft Samantha telling you if your docking request was approved.

Really what is any game with leveling and progress but a grind? It's all in how you dress it up. Elite does no dressing but for some reason when someone says "this is really boring" they interpret it to mean everyone was bored because they were too extreme.

Oops I got drunk and posted about this bad game again.

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 28, 2016

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Good news! They added Space Traffic Control which helps a lot for that immersion!

Sorry to interrupt the circlejerk D:

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Good news! They added Space Traffic Control which helps a lot for that immersion!

Sorry to interrupt the circlejerk D:

I think this is good and cool.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
"Check it out guys! Now, after much grinding, you can upgrade your ship more!"
"Why bother?"
"Ehm..."

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Spent an hour or two running a quad stack of missions retrieving poo poo from a planet.

Can't turn them in now.

A++ Would patch again.

I'm going to miss that 250k I could have earned!

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Xae posted:

Elite Dangerous 2.1: The Grind Will Increase Until Morale Improves

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
At least signal sources now come with a threat rating.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

You guys weren't kidding about the AI difficulty bump. While pootling back into the bubble I was repeatedly interdicted in my Python by a single Deadly-rated Cobra IV.
This is my Python
http://coriolis.io/outfit/python/06...o%20Communicate

The Cobra IV proceeded to shred my shields in under 2 seconds and managed during our first tangle to stay entirely out of my forward hemisphere. I got away, only for him to interdict me .5ls from the station I was heading for. This time I managed to actually shoot him up somewhat but in dealing a paltry 14% damage to him, he once more stripped my shields and did 26% hull damage before I jumped to cruise again. THEN he appears right behind me as I'm within 7km of the station and proceeds to try finishing the job. I chanced the no-fire-zone violation fine to put a stop to it though it was the station and its interceptors that really did the job.

Holy. poo poo.

So basically I just hosed off my bottom-tier powerplay alignment because dealing with that poo poo every 2 minutes and risking a 3.5mil rebuy because of bullshit reasons is not on my list of cool and fun things to do.

P.S. Any build tips for that Python would be appreciated. It was previously used mostly for supplementing my income with Robigo shuffling hence its slight underspeccing.

Same goes for my Clipper
http://coriolis.io/outfit/imperial_...l%20End%20Badly

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Xae posted:

I can kill Pythons pretty fast, in my vulture, if they don't have shields its goodbye fast. You need military hull or one of the enhanced hulls for the Python.
look at the video again.

• Locked thread