Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
So the RPS review of this said that the game was fun, but the economy was broken and you could never field more than a couple of big armies before collapsing under your own weight, and the strategy elements were all gone bar a couple of tiny things.

I'm not looking for some in depth spreadsheet simulator here but I'd like to be able to take over a map with armies and kill people, and maybe some diplomacy as well. WILL WARHAMMER BE FOR ME

EDIT- Note I loved Rome 1 and Medieval 2, but didn't play Empire because I hated it and gave up after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broguts
Oct 16, 2014

Fangz posted:

Who actually owns the rights to Morgan Bernhardt and the Grudgebringers?

I think EA does since Mindscape died.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

teacup posted:

So the RPS review of this said that the game was fun, but the economy was broken and you could never field more than a couple of big armies before collapsing under your own weight, and the strategy elements were all gone bar a couple of tiny things.

I'm not looking for some in depth spreadsheet simulator here but I'd like to be able to take over a map with armies and kill people, and maybe some diplomacy as well. WILL WARHAMMER BE FOR ME

EDIT- Note I loved Rome 1 and Medieval 2, but didn't play Empire because I hated it and gave up after that.

The RPS review was written based on a playthrough on Very Hard and where by his own admission the guy messed up by getting Grudge-locked (he maxed out his grudge meter, which means huge public order issues, and even other dwarves hate him). You can field large armies in this game, though it requires some planning and you are probably best off using garrison buildings instead.

Right now (turn 110 on a normal empire game) I'm fielding about 6 full stacks and I'm taking in 7k a turn on top.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Fangz posted:

The RPS review was written based on a playthrough on Very Hard and where by his own admission the guy messed up by getting Grudge-locked. You can field large armies in this game, though it requires some planning and you are probably best off using garrison buildings instead.

Right now (turn 110 on a normal empire game) I'm fielding about 6 full stacks and I'm taking in 7k a turn on top.

i'm getting this poo poo then

thanks friend

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
I've been reading through some of the backstory for the empire and it's loving insane. My favorite part so far is the bit where 75% of the population was killed by an invasion of rat people.

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
Awww man, had a pretty fantastic 4 stacks vs 3 battle vs Chaos, but trying to show it off to a friend just revealed that replays apparently get bugged easily when multiple armies are involved, the first reinforcing army engagement never even showed up, causing the rest of the battle to more or less be played in an entirely new, automated way :smith:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

teacup posted:

its more just classic total war style where you have to balance troop upkeep and expenditure, nothing collapses unless Archaeon runs in and razes your biggest economic city. That said you are more incentivized in this one to raid provinces and loot settlements to supplement your income and battles themselves will give you cash, Orcs and Chaos have almost entirely raiding based incomes whereas the other races can all sustain themselves through settlements.

Diplomacy is as dumb as ever but is generally easier to manipulate and more rewarding than before, i.e. people who like you give you cash rather than demand cash from you constantly.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

You can do this FYI, there's a tick box before the battle to choose whether you control your reinforcements or not.

Fangz posted:

Isn't that what unchecking 'control large army' does?

Nope.

Control large army is if you want to control 40 units - e.g. having the full second army available on the map - or if you only want to control 20 units, in which case the reinforcements arrive piecemeal as soon as you drop below 20 units.

Which kinda sucks, considering we have a good AI this time, it would take a huge chunk of work off player shoulders if you could let the AI manage the second army.

Broguts
Oct 16, 2014
A friend asked me a question the other day and I've been wondering since.

Is there a warhammer equivalent to Santa Claus? I feel like there is one.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a way to lure armies away from cities?

The enemy has 1.5 stacks lurking by the city and wont leave.

I cant siege the city till i deal with them

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Phi230 posted:

Raid their poo poo until they come after you?

That is, raid and keep moving to another city they are not by.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Hammerstein posted:

Nope.

Control large army is if you want to control 40 units - e.g. having the full second army available on the map - or if you only want to control 20 units, in which case the reinforcements arrive piecemeal as soon as you drop below 20 units.

Which kinda sucks, considering we have a good AI this time, it would take a huge chunk of work off player shoulders if you could let the AI manage the second army.

Can you not control a large army then group up the reinforcements as they come and assign them to AI control in the battle? That was a feature in the previous games.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Archonex posted:

The way I looked at it, the Orcs were nowhere near as useful as allies compared to the dwarves.

Consider the political situation: The greenskins are naturally hated by everyone. So using them as a punching bag means you can get free diplomatic bonuses. Furthermore, the playable dwarf nation (Which is going to end up being the strongest.) is naturally inclined to hate greenskins and like the empire.

A common enemy they they'll likely get agreements over at some point. By pre-empting that by making the dwarves like me more I made sure that the dwarves wouldn't like the Empire wouldn't ever get any support from just about any dwarf faction that wasn't hostile to the playable dwarf faction and it's allies. Which essentially cut off a huge amount of support they'd otherwise get, or at least create an obstacle for them to work around.

You're also inevitably going to piss off the dwarf playable faction if you go with Grimgor, since just getting to the point where he'll make treaties with you requires loving with the dwarves. And being in a military alliance means he'll inevitably drag you into wars with them over contested territory. Which means you're looking at that buffer state turning into a horde of angry midgets looking to push up through Drachenfels (Your prime unit producer/income maker.) to ram a stake up Mannfred's rear end.

Furthermore, the Orcs have a lot of territory and enemies to deal with down south. Which means that barring a fluke or miraculously good start for them they're not nearly as likely to actually help you in your wars. Meanwhile the dwarves are a natural buffer between a lot of bad poo poo that would otherwise have a back door into your lands as the vampire counts. The nature of the faction also means that they'll cheerfully pop up all over the place and make life a living hell for mutual enemies you both have.

There's also the issue that Grimgor likes to loving war dec on you as soon as he runs out of things to kill down south and in the mountains. Which is a very Orc thing to do in the setting but makes him a fair weather friend of catastrophic proportions. Especially since you'll likely be busy dealing with Chaos by the time he gets bored. Which means you'll have three to five stacks of orcs pushing their way up through Blackfire Pass or the mountains. Which are directly opposite of Chaos's invasion point.

Edit: Funnily enough, I think my vassals just curb stomped Archaon and company before I ever saw him.

You have to kill the Dwarves to win though, and as soon as you Dec on a friend you lose a lot of rep. Empire was super easy to build an massive base of allies that did everything for you, but I just can't get anybody to like VC, even paying them every turn and teching straight to the +friendship tech. I'm on VH, what difficulty are you doing?

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
The first time I took Marienburg succesfully, it was because I went into ambush stance between myself and a settlement, making the AI think it had an easy free city to grab. Maybe try that but use a tiny army as bait to lure them out?

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Phi230 posted:

For the love of god someone needs to update the OP to read "The answer is always ambush stance!"

Seriously, it hides you on the AI's map so they'll think you've gone and will move out of the castle. If you do it just far enough away from the castle you can fight the armies separately.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Phi230 posted:

you could set up a big stack in ambush then move a smaller stack nearby as bait

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Grognan posted:

Raid their poo poo until they come after you?

That is, raid and keep moving to another city they are not by.

Its only 1 city. The one west of Reikland. Middenland?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Phi230 posted:

Ambush stance.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Broguts posted:

A friend asked me a question the other day and I've been wondering since.

Is there a warhammer equivalent to Santa Claus? I feel like there is one.

The Kaos Krampus, duh.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Papa Nurgle.

Longshoreman X
Aug 13, 2009
Are grudges related to eliminated factions supposed to go away? I've had a grudge to assassinate a greenskin character for a while but I still have it despite eliminating them. It's now worth 8 points due to age, do I just have to deal with it for the rest of the campaign?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I feel like I'm doing more with my general/lord in this game than I tend to in Total War games which I like, but what it has really made me want is another fantasy Total War-esque game like this where my general is even more impactful and the lesser soldiers manage themselves. Total War: Warhammer meets Dynasty Warriors.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Can someone tell me what exactly a "stack" is?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Fire Barrel posted:

Also, do people recommend mounts for captains/priests, or is leaving them on foot the way to go?

Always leave Warpriests on foot, IMO. Their whole bag is buffing the poo poo out of themselves and surrounding troops and then smashing all the things with a hammer, they are always best when stuck in with a bunch of dudes.

I really love Warpriests, actually. They're reeeeallly slow starters, at level one they're just garbage melee fighters with bad armor who can't do anything, but fully built up you stick some decent armor on them and they start cycling between buffs that give them like +40 attack, 24% physical resistance (twice! one a personal buff and one that buffs both them and surrounding troops) and calling down holy fire in a radius around them while having their own command aura to keep your troops rallied.

They can also heal your army while embedded. Warpriests own and make me wish we had that Warpope dude in the game along with flaggelants for full Hammer Praying action.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Archonex posted:

Vampire Diplomacy

This is a good post, by the time I realized I could use some allies and trading partners as the undead everyone already hated my guts and I had to fight on 3 fronts trying to catch marching raiders in my land.

It seems like having NPC allies is a huge help in the campaign so long as the AI can attack from marching stance.

How did you get them to become vassals? crush their armies first?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

ZoninSilver posted:

The first time I took Marienburg succesfully, it was because I went into ambush stance between myself and a settlement, making the AI think it had an easy free city to grab. Maybe try that but use a tiny army as bait to lure them out?

I just now did exactly this and am currently feeling both really clever and really happy I got to gently caress up Marienburg because they are massive assholes in the fluff.

Kneel to Franz!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I really like the quest battles, it feels like a scenario battle but you have a reason to do it. Rushing them is tough but rewarding while doing them late you can crump em good. Black fire pass was badical with Karl Franz on death fang, a steam tank, and rear end loads of guns and artillery behind a pike line.

Reverse slope fighting works just like it did in Napoleon so you don't have to worry about hitting your guys, just plop yourself behind a hill with the crest at your maximum artillery range.

Real pike and shot tactics work pretty well. Volley guns can nestle in between pike units and will break enemies before they can figure out how to not get hung up on the pikes. A fully blinged out empire army may still not be great at melee but can tear up a charge bad enough that they'll break as soon as they hit.

The light wizard root spell is amazing for this. Hang up trolls or chaos chosen 30 yards from your line and let the gun line tear them apart.

Just have to hold onto the flanks. I need to get those demi Griff pike guys for that because out riders are not good for holding up fast cavalry.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

This game is really loving good and between this and Vermintide it's good times for warhams.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

DO IT TO IT posted:

Can someone tell me what exactly a "stack" is?

A big army. Like a full 20/20 units (or thereabouts).

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

A big army. Like a full 20/20 units (or thereabouts).

So named because if the vertical strength counter.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I feel like all the campaign needs changed is the AI using agents in fights instead of assassinating and march stance nerfed or just the AI following the same movement rules as the player, both of those things feel largely outside your control and unfair, and largely countered by just having AI allies to do the same thing back at them.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

nopantsjack posted:

Can you not control a large army then group up the reinforcements as they come and assign them to AI control in the battle? That was a feature in the previous games.

Unfortunately not. And this is a feature from past TW games which I really miss.

redpleb
Feb 1, 2013
Is anyone else experiencing a bug where the game freezes if you click on certain screens? Like I keep trying to click on the skills screen for a runesmith and it keeps freezing before getting to the menu.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Night10194 posted:

I just now did exactly this and am currently feeling both really clever and really happy I got to gently caress up Marienburg because they are massive assholes in the fluff.

Kneel to Franz!

Would have been a cheaper way for me to do it, that's for sure, but Karl Franz marched up to the walls with an entire army, built a shitload of siege weapons, and loving took it stone by bloody paving stone. Lost 1200 men in that fight. Still won. Place is now raking in the dough for me, so gently caress that "pyrrhic victory" gryphshit :c00l:

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skFKNudZuWM

Sigvald speeches are certainly a thing.

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011

madmac posted:

Oh so THAT'S why you'd ever want to start with him :allears:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

madmac posted:

GOTY

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ha the book of grudges is a real book and everything ca really put some care into this game.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

madmac posted:

Good thing Slaneesh didnt champion Sigvald's cousins, Xavier and Zetora.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Yeah, one of my favorite memories of Total War was when I had 6 full stacks of Roman troops in R:TW (the original) besieging a settlement, and just looking at the tens of thousands of guys I had simultaneously hitting a city.

And that wasn't even good ai.

• Locked thread