Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Man, this loving game. I've put like 55 hours into this over the last couple of months and I'm sure there will be many more. Also, gently caress Pierre.

You can't relocate fruit trees right? Do you get trappers back if you cut down the tree they are on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, they just pop off.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

You can tap fruit trees? Or is that just a two parter question?

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Nope, but you can tap trees that are outside your farm from what I've heard.

And I'm sure your wedding night with your spouse you should be able to have the option of using the Tapper as foreplay with something along the lines of "Tapping That" and not including the words "Pine Tar."

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

MrSlam posted:

Nope, but you can tap trees that are outside your farm from what I've heard.

And I'm sure your wedding night with your spouse you should be able to have the option of using the Tapper as foreplay with something along the lines of "Tapping That" and not including the words "Pine Tar."

That's what the Hardwood is for.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

WarpedNaba posted:

All the passive matchups in the game kinda suck. Maru doesn't like Harvey, Sam is an irresponsible poo poo who doesn't even think of Penny, Leah and Whats-his-face never meet, the list goes on.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when I looked through the characters' schedules a while back, all the pairings meet up at least once a week until you get one of them to four hearts, then they stop doing so. So Sam hangs out with Penny, and Elliot joins Leah at the pub. Only exception is Maru and Harvey who work together anyway.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Tenebrais posted:

Only exception is Maru and Harvey who work together anyway.

Those two really know how to settle.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Two-parter mate.

I've made a terrible mistake you see. I tapped all the trees just south of my house but I need to expand my crops south. Will relocate the tappers.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Tenebrais posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when I looked through the characters' schedules a while back, all the pairings meet up at least once a week until you get one of them to four hearts, then they stop doing so. So Sam hangs out with Penny, and Elliot joins Leah at the pub. Only exception is Maru and Harvey who work together anyway.

I know after a certain point, Haley was all like "Tell Alex I'm busy today," but I didn't see any of the other pairs do that.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

TurnipFritter posted:

I know after a certain point, Haley was all like "Tell Alex I'm busy today," but I didn't see any of the other pairs do that.

I've had Alex say pretty much exactly the same thing concerning Haley.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

wit posted:

Immortal cranberries surrounded with irridium sprinklers and then I stopped enjoying myself in the game before I even bothered with ancient fruit. I kind of hate that there are game breakers.

For me the game is a hard work simulator with careful time management, so the reward is "wow that was a good day, I really did a lot." but I'm not going to self flagellate and grow parsnips or something. I don't think you should ever be able to upgrade past caring about the seasons or weather because when you do, you stop appreciating them. Surely there's some way to attach a higher level grind to the greenhouse that isn't down the mines but I can't think how.

I'm the same way. I've put the game down for now until the content patch and some mods come out to make this a reality. There's already some good work being done.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I'm the same way. I've put the game down for now until the content patch and some mods come out to make this a reality. There's already some good work being done.

I really hope it comes in the form of paid dlc because this is definately one of those gays I'll happily pay through the nose for, no matter how modest it looks.

e:I meant games but gently caress it, the typo/slip stands.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
It's a shame that CA wants full control. I think if he hired a programmer so he could focus on art assets/dialogue then we could really get some content going.

'Course the game is fun as is, I just wish there weren't so many ways to break it by year 2. Balance my single player game CA!

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

This game isn't that easy to break if you're not min maxing using spreadsheets and FAQs.

A lot of the stuff is pretty hard to figure out, like where fish are, what people like, most profitable crops, kegging vs preserving vs farming, what upgrades to take.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
I don't understand the point of min/maxing a game whose premise is you are stuck in the daily grind of the corporate world and decide to move to the farm to live a more enjoyable life.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

nelson posted:

I don't understand the point of min/maxing a game whose premise is you are stuck in the daily grind of the corporate world and decide to move to the farm to live a more enjoyable life.

Cheevos

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

nelson posted:

Min maxing is a lot of fun when you're the one in charge :colbert:

wit
Jul 26, 2011

nelson posted:

Its just how you play games or act in real life in spite of yourself, you look for solutions. You need money for things and time and energy are a limitation. What's the easiest cash crop to make? Oh you can plant this one once, surround it with sprinklers and have it poo poo money into your hand every other day? No thanks.

Basically, I really like Stardew Valley and want it to be my forever game, so I would prefer it didn't have a best solution. Its a beautiful timesink, not a rubix cube. And you don't need to consult wikis and spreadsheets in order to come to the same endgame as others, people will blind feel their way to the same conclusion. CA, please gently caress up our poo poo. Don't make it like banished or some other holocaust simulator but just remove the solutions so that mo money, mo problems is a thing.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

This game isn't that easy to break if you're not min maxing using spreadsheets and FAQs.

A lot of the stuff is pretty hard to figure out, like where fish are, what people like, most profitable crops, kegging vs preserving vs farming, what upgrades to take.
Things are all hinted at if you read the books you dig up. Hell the game even hints at the spooky review part (which I stopped playing a bit before because I broke the game). Speaking of, it feels like I'm the only person who ever got that little gandalf type message from the game because nobody seems to mention it.

wit fucked around with this message at 15:35 on May 27, 2016

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

if you don't like the good things, simply don't use them

don't demand that nobody be allowed to play differently from you ever

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

nelson posted:

The disembodied spirit of Grandpa (the shittiest farmer) has tasked you with making $1,000,000 in two years.

He's also tasked you with getting married, maintaining the relationships of at least ten best friends and a pet, discovering 60+ minerals and artifacts while exploring the dangerous mine, being the absolute best farmer, miner, adventurer, fisher, and forager in the Valley, and throwing a ton of random junk into the abandoned building down the way.

So get to it or you'll always be his second-favorite grandchild!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

if anything, this game becomes even more chill once you have some of the big moneymakers

you'll never actually need all the golds you can squeeze out of them, so a good load of cranberry preserves/starfruit wines/etc. will let you take a lot of time off to go do whatever strikes your fancy instead of having to spend every day on lovely parsnips or w/e

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Really Pants posted:

if you don't like the good things, simply don't use them

don't demand that nobody be allowed to play differently from you ever
Are you reading a different thread or something? Who's attack are you replying to?

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I dunno, I didn't use faqs when the game first came out and I pretty much figured out that repeatable crops were the cash-cow and barrels were probably going to be the easy money makers.
The only thing I struggled with was the community center since that requires knowing where/when things spawn. But by end of year 1 I had about 90% of everything complete aside from the 4-5 items and crops I didn't grow in Spring/Summer, I stopped playing because I figured out the best crop and the near universal gifts (Like Sashimi.)

I feel like there could be a hardmode:
-Crop sell prices tumble the more you sell in a season due to flooding the market.
-Crop Rotation being required or else you won't get quality star ratings on crops.
-Grapes becoming the best selling wine type since it requires a trellis and is a bit closer to real life in terms of popularity.
-Actually having to tend to trellis crops.
-Having to eat at least once per day, since we have a kitchen and all these recipes but no real need to make them.

Basically busy stuff the casual gamer doesn't want but the power gamer needs.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Red_Fred posted:

Two-parter mate.

I've made a terrible mistake you see. I tapped all the trees just south of my house but I need to expand my crops south. Will relocate the tappers.

They pop of easily with a pick or axe. I built tree three gardens for the different varieties of sap, but I didn't have enough material to place all the taps at once, which made it a pain to harvest as it's impossible to see behind the front row. Glad I could rip them off and put them back so now they produce in sync.

I'm not sure how practical my plan was though. The only real recipes for the saps are fertilizer and coral/clams are the bottle neck there. I guess they're OK to ship for a bit of extra cash.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Really Pants posted:

you'll never actually need all the golds you can squeeze out of them, so a good load of cranberry preserves/starfruit wines/etc. will let you take a lot of time off to go do whatever strikes your fancy instead of having to spend every day on lovely parsnips or w/e

So you're saying that you want to skip the farming part of the game because you think its lovely? I want to plant crops. I want to farm crops. I want to have at least somewhat of a reason to grow a crop that doesn't end in "berries". This isn't about min/maxing, its just poor design. Wanting a game to have balance is not the same as min/maxing. It'd be like if Pokemon gave you the choice between Charmander, Squirtle, Bulbasaur and Mewtwo. Or if in Legend of Zelda your sword killed every enemy in one hit. Would it then be ridiculous to suggest that enemies should take multiple hits to kill?

You say parsnips are lovely. But here's a crazy thought: what if they weren't lovely?? Why should it be ok for things to be lovely if you can fix them? And why is there so much opposition from people that want to maintain their lovely balance? You see this in Early Access games all the time, people that are just violently against change of any kind.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 27, 2016

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
So are you mad because it's so easy to make bank on crops, or mad because of something else? Because the former happens literally all the time in the actual Harvest Moon games. Yams were the crop of choice in HM: DS, and you were considered an idiot if you didn't min/max all four basements and the cave behind the waterfall with yams. But then plenty of people like myself enjoyed just the faffing about growing the odd few crops that only just helped to propel you along, for the variety and fun it gave.

You want a reason to grow a crop that isn't a berry? What, your desire to diversify isn't enough? Some crops are poo poo, some are great. If you make all crops equally amazing then what's the point?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Roro posted:

So are you mad because it's so easy to make bank on crops, or mad because of something else? Because the former happens literally all the time in the actual Harvest Moon games. Yams were the crop of choice in HM: DS, and you were considered an idiot if you didn't min/max all four basements and the cave behind the waterfall with yams. But then plenty of people like myself enjoyed just the faffing about growing the odd few crops that only just helped to propel you along, for the variety and fun it gave.

You want a reason to grow a crop that isn't a berry? What, your desire to diversify isn't enough? Some crops are poo poo, some are great. If you make all crops equally amazing then what's the point?

if I can't obsessively min-max my schedule around at least 6 different crops then how will I feel smug and superior?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I certainly wouldn't mind a "hard mode"; something you choose when making a new game that doesn't have any story stuff. Make crop diversity matter and make them all even; crops all sell for the same amount relative to how long they take but the real money is artisanal food. Plant wheat to bake in the oven make pie crust or muffins, which can be combined with fruit to make more money. You also have bills and disasters to deal with in your struggle to make a living.

I love the game as is but also want this version.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Roro posted:

I'm not mad about anything. I'm pointing out an obvious flaw in the balance of the game. And saying that other games have had this flaw doesn't make the flaw not exist. In fact it makes it more confusing as to why it hasn't been addressed.

"Desire to diversify", are you being serious? Does the concept of something having both upsides and downsides confuse you? It's like the people arguing against me don't understand what they are arguing about. Are you suggesting the games content as it is right now is utterly flawless and should be placed in a museum?

Ok lets try a different approach: The community center. What a fantastic idea, because it actually did give you a reason to grow other crops! Unfortunately I don't think he went far enough with it. For instance, it gave you a reason to grow parsnips. Right now you are telling me that I should just plant parsnips because I feel like it, as if I'm supposed to derive some sort of satisfaction from my love of parsnips. That's just ridiculous. You would never suggest something similar in any other game.

TL;DR: Right now there are crops that are, from a gameplay perspective, pointless to grow. I'm not suggesting nerfing anything, I'd just like to be given some sort of reason to grow some of the things that currently have no reason to grow. And yet this is considered madness.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 28, 2016

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Different crops do have value in recipes and gifts. Not much granted when sashimi and mayo pretty much satisfies most people anyway but it's something.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

salt is bad for your soil

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm confused about kegging. I have a barn with a bunch of kegs in it and one keg outside to show when they are ready. Often the keg outside is out of sync with the kegs inside even though they were loaded within the same game hour. Doesn't being in the barn change how long they take?

Also does the ingredient you put in the keg affect how long it takes to produce? It seems like it but I can't find anything that actually confirms this.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Diversifying crops is good for achievements and 100% completion. There are a lot of recipes.

If you aren't trying for 100% achievements then I don't know what your doing in the game. You would be done after your second child was born.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Seriously, the answer is diminishing returns, that way you have a point to grow every crop by year two. Casuals wont even notice it because they diversify anyways. Gamers and hardcore gamers will still attempt to monopolize it, it just wont be a mono-culture of berries. And if you want to grow just berries? You still get the option, it just wont rake in the cash.

Seriously, stop trying to defend unbalanced games people, if players are quitting because they easily complete the game's objectives twice as fast as intended, then that's a bad sign of balance.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Roro posted:

The point is to create a puzzle, a challenge. Different crops that are good under difference circumstances, or which have to be arranged in a certain way -- something, anything, that taxes a skill which is in itself fun to exercise.

You talk about a "desire to diversify" but why would I have that desire? You do the same thing with every crop: sell them or match them to people's gift preferences. There's no incentive to do things "differently" if they aren't different in any meaningful sense.

Or put another way: what would be lost, mechanically speaking, if the game didn't have Potatoes and Parsnips?

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 02:48 on May 28, 2016

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Met posted:

If you aren't trying for 100% achievements then I don't know what your doing in the game.

Having fun?

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Guys, we're just gonna have potatoes as the crop, and one npc. No one wants a reason for diversity.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
gently caress yes I love absurd exaggerations in my arguments.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Red_Fred posted:

I'm confused about kegging. I have a barn with a bunch of kegs in it and one keg outside to show when they are ready. Often the keg outside is out of sync with the kegs inside even though they were loaded within the same game hour. Doesn't being in the barn change how long they take?

Also does the ingredient you put in the keg affect how long it takes to produce? It seems like it but I can't find anything that actually confirms this.

Yeah, Wines (fruit) take the longest, then juices (veggies), then pale ale and beer. If you're asking if there's a difference in time between, say, strawberry wine and blueberry wine, I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Ah that's my problem there then. I will try and group types together from now to make collecting easier. :tipshat: