Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Context:Jason Screier, a writer for Kotaku, uncovers that No Man's Sky's release date is going to be pushed back and writes an article about it.

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/736151267215560705

setafd posted:

make it for videos too and you've got a good idea. both consoles can upload to YouTube iirc

bloodychill posted:

Sounds like a games thing to me. Also sounds like a thread that would take off and be great and eventually turn into a shitstorm, as per usual.

Sweet, I'll try and whip one up then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

This is the only thing I agree with

edit: this is a pretty good burn though

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Guy Mann posted:

Context:Jason Screier, a writer for Kotaku, uncovers that No Man's Sky's release date is going to be pushed back and writes an article about it.

Yeah that's some lovely stuff.

A few years ago I wrote some article about the grey market in Star Citizen and how its rather bad for people overall, and a few other articles highlighting some of the rather lovely/questionable behavior by CIG, the devs, that got people so mad a 40 page threadnought on their official forums happened, and a few people talked about finding me IRL because of the articles etc.

People are super stupid when it comes to defending their terrible video games.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
People will tell you they're going to kill you and/or you should kill yourself for pretty much anything these days, which is sad

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

CJacobs posted:

People will tell you they're going to kill you and/or you should kill yourself for pretty much anything these days, which is sad
Yeah, but they won't actually kill you. Eventually, their powerlessness will destroy them and they'll shoot up a school or shopping mall.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yeah, but they won't actually kill you. Eventually, their powerlessness will destroy them and they'll shoot up a school or shopping mall.

It is a bit unnerving that "you should kill yourself" has been overtaken by "i will kill you" in terms of demoralizing things to say to people, that's about the point where cyber-bullying stops being the kind where you can just ignore it because what if they're serious. there's like a 0.1% chance, but what if.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Zaphod42 posted:

I've beaten that game like literally 200 times. Best beat'em'up ever.

I was so upset when Re-shelled was not only ugly and based on the much inferior arcade version (instead of being a 4-player version of the SNES game), but also changed the mechanics just enough that it wasn't any fun.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CJacobs posted:

I mean yeah I agree but the guy in question that we are talking about, writes for Kotaku so in a lot of ways it's justified anyways.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Mistle posted:

And a shout out the the FirstAidKite, may your birthday be games and merriment :cheers:

Thank you. I got a burrito today, it was pretty good. My fiancee got me a cake too, a carrot cake, and kragger gifted me some pinball tables and individual gifted me fallen enchantress so that was nice of them :D I'm glad that today was an ok day, and thank you for the shout out.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I said come in! posted:

I mean yeah I agree but the guy in question that we are talking about, writes for Kotaku so in a lot of ways it's justified anyways.

You post on the SA forums, so same to you, buddy!

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I said come in! posted:

What in the gently caress is wrong with you?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ometeotl posted:

What in the gently caress is wrong with you?

Ooh a loving ton of things I am sure but I don't care.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I said come in! posted:

I don't like Kotaku and think it's a poo poo website full of poo poo journalists but I dunno man, I think even in jest death threats/telling people to suicide is probably too much. Insulting someone's work is one thing but insulting their person is very different.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 28, 2016

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CJacobs posted:

I don't like Kotaku and think it's a poo poo website full of poo poo journalists but I dunno man, I think even in jest death threats/telling people to suicide is probably too much. Insulting someone's work is one thing but insulting their person is very different.

I mean I thought the whole point of being a Kotaku writer was for the abuse. They sure as hell are not doing it because it helps them make a living.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

I said come in! posted:

I mean I thought the whole point of being a Kotaku writer was for the abuse. They sure as hell are not doing it because it helps them make a living.
What the gently caress is wrong with you

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I said come in! posted:

:yikes:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cardboard Box A posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with you

Ooh for gently caress sakes you don't really care about this.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

I said get out!

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Anyways if there's a Brandsmart around your area (it might only be a South Florida thing I dunno) they have Uncharted 4 for $29 as a memorial day sale. If you walk into Best Buy they'll price match it.

Cheap Uncharted 4 owns.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

I said come in! posted:

So how'd you get fired from Kotaku?

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

CJacobs posted:

It's the loving internet. I guess it's cool that people can turn "I got death threats on the internet" (lol) into enough outrage to make a living out of it but let's not pretend like it means anything.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Please do not threaten to kill one another, or say that it is okay that other people threaten to kill other people when they are mad over really silly things that are not worth being angry about.

Instead, let us all be friends and enjoy one another's company, or at least be tolerant and avoid those we do not like and be merry and gay :)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

birthday wisdom from birthday dude

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Adam Bowen posted:

It's the loving internet. I guess it's cool that people can turn "I got death threats on the internet" (lol) into enough outrage to make a living out of it but let's not pretend like it means anything.

Well, to this guy's credit, he hasn't started his own Patreon yet.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Adam Bowen posted:

idg this mindset. on anonymous/pseudonymous forums it's maybe harmless (though still creepy and some people will go internet detective on your rear end), but I don't see how getting sent death threats to your personal accounts, through which people can easily find your other personal info, is nbd. the internet has become a basic part of communication, and nobody would defend threatening to kill somebody over the phone.

Motto fucked around with this message at 04:12 on May 28, 2016

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i dont remember if i posted this but i love it so whatever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_ofDyHdtxQ

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Motto posted:

idg this mindset. on anonymous/pseudonymous forums it's maybe harmless (though still creepy and some people will go internet detective on your rear end), but I don't see how getting sent death threats to your personal accounts, through which people can easily find your other personal info is nbd.

Agreed. If you told some random person on Facebook you were going to kill them people would rightly be a little freaked out unless you somehow conveyed it was a joke. The Internet isn't the anonymous nerd safe space it was in the Usenet days or even the early 2000's. Your grandma is on the Internet talking people up. People take that poo poo seriously now that our real life identities are wrapped up in this.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

What mod is this, that music is... something else

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

You did, but that's okay, because it's still good.

It keeps going

and going

and going

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

bloodychill posted:

Agreed. If you told some random person on Facebook you were going to kill them people would rightly be a little freaked out unless you somehow conveyed it was a joke. The Internet isn't the anonymous nerd safe space it was in the Usenet days or even the early 2000's. Your grandma is on the Internet talking people up. People take that poo poo seriously now that our real life identities are wrapped up in this.

Mine still isn't

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Adam Bowen posted:

are death threats more real when they come from irl

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
if my virtual marriage is real and serious i don't see why virtual death threats are not real and not serious

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Adam Bowen posted:

CJacobs posted:

because what if they're serious. there's like a 0.1% chance, but what if.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Mr E posted:

What mod is this, that music is... something else

TERMINUS MACHINA

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZkOn0-yt9E

Here, everybody have a good song

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Adam Bowen posted:

Welcome back. Now are you going to post anything interesting or are you going to just continue to troll with your lovely gimmick?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Are we really defending the right of anonymous idiots online to harass people who wrote a factual article they don't like?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

a heartfelt condolence to my gaming brothers and sisters driven mad by No Man's Sky

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Dr Cheeto posted:

Are we really defending the right of anonymous idiots online to harass people who wrote a factual article they don't like?

I'm not really defending it but more just saying it's a thing that happens and has been for the past 20+ years I've been on the internet, and I've never cried about it or acted like it reflected anything more than some people being dickheads when granted anonymity :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Adam Bowen posted:

I'm not really defending it but more just saying it's a thing that happens and has been for the past 20+ years I've been on the internet, and I've never cried about it or acted like it reflected anything more than some people being dickheads when granted anonymity :shrug:

Ahhh, so because you, a person who is in no position of authority or notoriety and has not received multiple handfuls of death threats at once for a specific reason, say it's not a big deal, it doesn't matter

ok

• Locked thread