Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
simble
May 11, 2004

Or just use Foreflight like a normal human being

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Well ya but none of this will help me when I'm taking my written and am told to whip out a pad and a pen and calculate the density altitude by hand after being given the current air pressure, field elevation and OAT.

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured

EvilJoven posted:

Well ya but none of this will help me when I'm taking my written and am told to whip out a pad and a pen and calculate the density altitude by hand after being given the current air pressure, field elevation and OAT.

Lol if you didn't memorize all the answers in the test prep book.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

EvilJoven posted:

I've never had to use that formula on any check ride or written I've ever had, and I've done a lot of both.

Plus they'll usually let you bring a manual e6b.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

VOR LOC posted:

Lol if you didn't memorize all the answers in the test prep book.

I never understood the answer memorization thing. It seems like as much effort as just learning the material.

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured
It's either that or constantly having to study a dozen different books looking for answers to questions you'll flush the second you pass the test. I just figured it was a better use of my time.

simble
May 11, 2004

vessbot posted:

I never understood the answer memorization thing. It seems like as much effort as just learning the material.

It's not though. If you do enough practice tests (and you should do practice tests regardless of whether you want to learn everything or not) you will immediately recognize the question/answer pair as you go through the writtens.

It is dumb. I think they're changing out a bunch of questions and enlarging the question bank next month though. At least for some tests.

Disclaimer: FAA

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum
A message to those using LGW. If you are told be ready immediate don't muck around. At the end of a line check on a day when the French are striking I really do want to fly a go around from 100' because you're slow.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
Heh, look at you noobs using charts and such for density altitude. Us REAL pilots have ACARS for that :smug:

simble posted:

It is dumb. I think they're changing out a bunch of questions and enlarging the question bank next month though. At least for some tests.

Disclaimer: FAA

It goes live June 13, and some of the questions are...interesting: https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/test_questions/media/PARSampleExam.pdf

especially this gem:

The Feds posted:

28. The destination airport has one runway, 8-26, and the wind is calm. The normal approach in calm wind is a left-hand pattern to runway 08. There is no other traffic at the airport. A thunderstorm about 6 miles west is beginning its mature stage, and rain is starting to reach the ground. The pilot decides to
A. fly the pattern to runway 8 since the storm is too far away to affect the wind at the airport.
B. fly the normal pattern to runway 8 since the storm is west and moving north and any unexpected wind
will be from the east or southeast toward the storm.
C. fly an approach to runway 26 since any unexpected wind due to the storm will be westerly.

those smarter among us would realize the correct choice is D. Divert to another airport dumbass, wind shear is coming

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Yeah wtf 20 mile rule. I guess I'd answer C to avoid a tail wind during the flare?

Am I right?

I'm a Flight Instructor...

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Butt Reactor posted:

especially this gem:

Layman here.

I’m pretty sure “A” is wrong because even if “fly the pattern to runway 8” is correct, “the storm is too far away to affect the wind at the airport” is terrible justification. We must assume that the wind may be a problem, and act accordingly.

B and C are essentially the same answer, but one of them has a backwards understanding of meteorology. Does wind generally blow towards or away from thunderstorms? If I were a pilot‐in‐training it would be good to know this, but I’ll have to go on my memory of primary‐school science and say that thunderstorms are associated with low pressure, and we would therefore expect ground‐level prevailing wind to be easterly.

The answers refer to unexpected wind, but I think those are going to be gusts in the same prevailing direction. The headwind might vary in strength, but it shouldn’t become a tailwind. I’d go with “B”.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 08:42 on May 27, 2016

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Platystemon posted:

Layman here.

I’m pretty sure “A” is wrong because even if “fly the pattern to runway 8” is correct, “the storm is too far away to affect the wind at the airport” is terrible justification. We must assume that the wind may be a problem, and act accordingly.

B and C are essentially the same answer, but one of them has a backwards understanding of meteorology. Does wind generally blow towards or away from thunderstorms? If I were a pilot‐in‐training it would be good to know this, but I’ll have to go on my memory of primary‐school science and say that thunderstorms are associated with low pressure, and we would therefore expect ground‐level prevailing wind to be easterly.

The answers refer to unexpected wind, but I think those are going to be gusts in the same prevailing direction. The headwind might vary in strength, but it shouldn’t become a tailwind. I’d go with “B”.

It really depends how powerful the storm is. Typically mature stages of thunderstorms are predominantly downdrafts, but if it's a particularly severe storm (super cells) the downdraft and updraft can be separate and you get all kinds of unpredictable winds. There's really not enough information here to make an informed decision.

But either way, 6 miles is far too close to be to a thunderstorm.

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 14:24 on May 27, 2016

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Butt Reactor posted:

It goes live June 13, and some of the questions are...interesting: https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/test_questions/media/PARSampleExam.pdf

especially this gem:
those smarter among us would realize the correct choice is D. Divert to another airport dumbass, wind shear is coming

I just did the AGI in January and a bunch of those questions are the same or awfully similar to the ones I saw, but that one (which I never saw in the Gleim) is so GovernmentTM that you'd just have to go with your best guess and then read the explanation as to why there was a two out of three chance you were wrong. (It feels like one of those trap questions where C feels like it could be right, but the FAA would say A because "the storm's not there YET, dumbass" or something.)

The Flashing White Light one got easier, though:

quote:

A flashing white light signal from the control tower to a taxiing aircraft is an indication to
A.taxi at a faster speed.
B.taxi only on taxiways and not cross runways.
C.return to the starting point on the airport.

Unless I missed something, there is literally one right answer there.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
The deal is that the Thunderatorm is reaching the mature stage. Mature stages are the downdraft stages. Hence my vote for C because I want to fly into the wind instead of against it.

quote:

MATURE STAGE

Characterized by the presence of both updrafts and downdrafts within the cloud. The downdrafts are initiated by the downward drag of falling precipitation. The downdraft is strengthened by evaporative cooling, as the rain falling with the downdraft enters drier air below the cloud base and evaporates. This cold descending air in the downdraft will often reach the ground before the precipitation.

Edit:Sorry e.pilot I didn't see you said basically the same thing.

Captain Apollo fucked around with this message at 15:25 on May 27, 2016

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Captain Apollo posted:

The deal is that the Thunderatorm is reaching the mature stage.

Cast a nulshock and start a healaga on the next turn, and you should be good.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Captain Apollo posted:

The deal is that the Thunderatorm is reaching the mature stage. Mature stages are the downdraft stages. Hence my vote for C because I want to fly into the wind instead of against it.

Edit:Sorry e.pilot I didn't see you said basically the same thing.

Yeah, that's what I would do. If there's nobody else in the pattern and the wind is calm, there can be a "standard runway" all day long but what's stopping somebody from using the other runway?

If the wind were calm/extremely light at MGY (nontowered and where I did Instrument and built time for the aborted Commercial rating), people used 20 but, if the question scenario (e- loosely since it's in reverse) translated to MGY, there's nothing stopping me from using 2. I'd just make radio calls like crazy if I had to in case somebody else showed up.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 27, 2016

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Fly into thunderstorm, verbally mocking God.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Correct test answer: C
Correct part 91 answer: Divert
Correct part 121 answer: Hold until EFC, unless you won't make guarantee for that day/trip/month. If the latter applies and it's the go home leg land on 26, otherwise divert.
Correct part 135 answer:

Rolo posted:

Fly into thunderstorm, verbally mocking God.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
You can use any runway you want because all the people with smarts diverted a long time ago.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

KodiakRS posted:

Correct test answer: C
Correct part 91 answer: Divert
Correct part 121 answer: Hold until EFC, unless you won't make guarantee for that day/trip/month. If the latter applies and it's the go home leg land on 26, otherwise divert.
Correct part 135 answer:

Perfection.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Should be getting my offer letter next week once I get my drug test done (holiday weekend :argh:)

All we've agreed on is pay, schedule and benefits. Should know which jet next week.

Small chance I might be 91 only :boom:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Rolo posted:

Should know which jet next week.

What are the possibilities?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

MrYenko posted:

What are the possibilities?

CJ2 or a Phenom 100. I'm on a LR60 now that I loving love, so I gotta learn to fly slow again, but man that QOL.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Rolo posted:

CJ2 or a Phenom 100. I'm on a LR60 now that I loving love, so I gotta learn to fly slow again, but man that QOL.

Fancy Jet syndrome is a helluva drug.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Rolo posted:

Would you say that your new favorite beer is "red stripe?"

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

IceLicker posted:

Would you say that your new favorite beer is "red stripe?"

No but I get that reference :coal:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

For the record, fully half the time we say hello or goodbye to a Red Stripe, either that controller, or someone else in the control room says "hooray beer" off frequency.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

MrYenko posted:

For the record, fully half the time we say hello or goodbye to a Red Stripe, either that controller, or someone else in the control room says "hooray beer" off frequency.

We do jazz hands every time we hear Spirit.

Spiriiiiiit

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Who is red stripe?

Our call sign over seas was "Swifty." Even better it was for our squadrons V-22s. I'd always check in as T Swifty flight of however many 22s and no one would get it. And now that we're back stateside we've lost that sweet call sign :(

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Bob A Feet posted:

Who is red stripe?
JetSuite I'd wager based on:

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Bob A Feet posted:

Who is red stripe?

JetSuite.

I've always wondered if Jazz requires their flight attendants to finish their safety demos with jazz hands.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Feeling pretty lovely today. I know I'm not that far into my PPL, but just logged my 7th hour and can't land for poo poo. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.

dexter6 posted:

Feeling pretty lovely today. I know I'm not that far into my PPL, but just logged my 7th hour and can't land for poo poo. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

That feeling happens to every one at one point or another. At some point things will click together. Could be at 10 hours. Could be at 30. Everyone is different. Landing is more about feel and sight picture than study. Just keep at it and don't get too discouraged.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

dexter6 posted:

lovely days are better for your development than you think. Even when you get your PPL, all it is is a license to suck at flying by yourself. If you keep going you will slowly suck less, I promise.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

dexter6 posted:

7 hours is nothing, you're doing just fine.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

dexter6 posted:

I don't think I've know a single student who I would trust to land the airplane at 7 hours, including myself. Hell, I have 4,000+ hours and there are still have days when I can't land the drat airplane well.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

dexter6 posted:

Don't feel shiity.

It's the hardest part of your flight training and the part you've spent the least amount of training on. It's tough, but know this.... Gone are the days the instructor steps out after a few hours and says "time to solo".

Going to repeat myself but 90% percent of greaser landings are by accident. And the absolute key to a good landing is a good approach/pattern. Break it down to three phases and if any one of those phases aren't right and don't feel good; go around. There's no harm in a go around but don't develop landitis

Develop your downwind, develop your base, develop your final. It will come together. Ask your instructor for slow flight instruction. My instructor keyed on slow flight from the beginning and it paid huge dividends at the end.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Just yesterday I was jumpseating on a Delta 737 and the captain landed a real hard poo poo landing into JFK. We all looked at looked at each other like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ without even a word of excuse or sympathy and within seconds forgot about it as we all reached into our pockets for our smartphones to turn off airplane mode

Btw guys I live in Brooklyn now if any of you poor souls are junior enough to hold JFK in your respective airlines (i am crazy enough to choose NYC cause I love it) lets go for beers

Animal fucked around with this message at 06:22 on May 29, 2016

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Tide posted:

Going to repeat myself but 90% percent of greaser landings are by accident. And the absolute key to a good landing is a good approach/pattern. Break it down to three phases and if any one of those phases aren't right and don't feel good; go around. There's no harm in a go around but don't develop landitis

This.

The last trip I flew had both the captain and I making six landings each, and of those 12 landings, the only greaser happened on the final leg of the trip, in a very light airplane, which is basically a recipe for a not-so-great landing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Two Kings posted:

Landing is more about feel and sight picture than study.

This cannot be said enough. The only way to get better at landing is to go bounce the airplane off the runway a few dozen times. Immediately post-solo, I spent a large chunk of my solo practice time seeing how many decent touch and goes I could fit into an hour. It helps a lot.

• Locked thread