Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

El Hefe posted:

false equivalencies up the wazoo

The frames of an audio/video/av file are sequential and predictable. The frames of a game are utterly dependent on user input and thus about as predictable as chance. This is a hell of a lot harder to stream and impossible to buffer. Streaming movies and music can work, sometimes quite well, without real-time connections. Streaming games outside glorified play-by-post are impossible without them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Sir Unimaginative posted:

The frames of an audio/video/av file are sequential and predictable. The frames of a game are utterly dependent on user input and thus about as predictable as chance. This is a hell of a lot harder to stream and impossible to buffer. Streaming movies and music can work, sometimes quite well, without real-time connections. Streaming games outside glorified play-by-post are impossible without them.

And yet, PSNow exists.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I played 100+ games of 2k14 and 15 myCareer each and couldn't get through even the college section of 2k16. It's so bad, and makes no sense if you aren't a black guy from an east coast ghetto IRL.

First cutscene with my honky rear end. Face scan somehow got worst from 2k15 too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zynr_iq8PNc

I remember when you posted this the first time and it still makes me laugh.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

El Hefe posted:

And yet, PSNow exists.

PSNow certainly isn't perfect. Hiccups and connection drops happen even using LAN streaming and that's annoying enough, but to have to deal with it in a paid service was enough for me to keep thinking of PSNow as nothing more than a novelty. PSNow sold me on buying a PS3, not streaming the classics online.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

El Hefe posted:

And yet, PSNow exists.

I thought that the argument was that people wouldn't want to replace their physical media with streaming games because not everyone has a rock solid connection?

PSNow exists, but is it 99.9% reliable for every possible user?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

El Hefe posted:

Thing is, PSNow exists already and it works perfectly for lots of people and not so great for others, as Sony and other companies keep improving their tech and as more fiber gets installed by ISPs then services like that will become much more appealing to consumers.

If Sony were to tell me that I would never have to buy another console again but still play all the latest games from any device with an internet connection and a screen I would be all over that, just not right now obviously because my connection is poo poo but maybe 15-20 years from now? gently caress yeah

You probably should have led with real-world examples. And before you ask, yes, you have/had to bring them up, because we don't have an obligation to do your research or demolish our own positions for you.

Depending on the network environment, Sony's servers have to be very nearly in town. I guess people who live outside of town, or in places that have fallen victim to Shadowrun levels of regulatory capture, don't get to play video games anymore.

And also you're cheering on a future with even more casual rent-seeking than today, which is kind of an impressive feat if you think about it.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 28, 2016

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Dewgy posted:

PSNow certainly isn't perfect. Hiccups and connection drops happen even using LAN streaming and that's annoying enough, but to have to deal with it in a paid service was enough for me to keep thinking of PSNow as nothing more than a novelty. PSNow sold me on buying a PS3, not streaming the classics online.

Hmmm, maybe Sony will somehow improve their service in the coming years??!?!?

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

You probably should have led with real-world examples. And before you ask, yes, you have/had to bring them up, because we don't have an obligation to do your research or demolish our own positions for you.

citation needed

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

One advantage of streaming is that if it were to stick to a monthly fee, there's no worry about buying lovely games and you have access to everything.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

El Hefe posted:

How, exactly, will this fix the extant network infrastructure problems that are completely unrelated to Sony?

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I said come in! posted:

One advantage of streaming is that if it were to stick to a monthly fee, there's no worry about buying lovely games and you have access to everything.

I do not like this idea because I can easily see them tiering it so that you have to pay more to have access to the big games as they get released

yes I am insanely cynical about our digital future

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

El Hefe posted:

Most of my latency is on Verizon, not Sony, and they certainly don't give half a poo poo.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Erg posted:

I do not like this idea because I can easily see them tiering it so that you have to pay more to have access to the big games as they get released

yes I am insanely cynical about our digital future

That's true, I see that being a very real possibility.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Neddy Seagoon posted:

How, exactly, will this fix the extant network infrastructure problems that are completely unrelated to Sony?

Maybe someone in the distant future will be able to solve this riddle as well.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

So I can pencil you in as full communism now? Interesting.

El Hefe posted:

Line latency isn't the only thing in the way between you and a signal. The cost of computer processing - interpreting signals in your controller, sending them through whatever packet transfer method to your CPU, repackaging them for Internet transmission (with attendant CPU overhead), to the network device (with all their overhead because Wi-Fi has a sizable irreducible minimum and even fancy motherboards with Intel NICs don't always have immediate modes), THEN line latency enters, repeatedly as it goes from internet router to internet router (with their own overheads) as it snakes its way through to Sony's servers, then THEY do the actual games processing, and then all that poo poo above happens again on the way home. Hopefully 60 times a second, but you're lucky if it's 30.

And that's assuming none of the companies or jurisdictions in the middle stretch feel like dicks today. And that Sony doesn't feel safe putting you over a barrel because that's where you play video games now. And that game publishers don't throw a hissy fit or get bankrupted or something.

Obviously some people get lucky as is, enough for it to be worthwhile if not profitable, or Sony wouldn't continue running the service. It might get a little better, catch a few more edge cases, but to make it policy is going to require a breakthrough or two each in information processing and sociology that we don't even know exist.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 28, 2016

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

acksplode posted:

It'll be up to Sony (and Microsoft) to make sure that PlaystationX and PlaystationY feel less different than PlaystationX and XboxX, to the degree that they're essentially the same platform. I'm not a mobile dev so I can't speak from direct experience, but I've worked with people who do, and my understanding is that building for both the current and previous iOS release is much easier than developing for both iOS and Android.

That's true. The onus will be on Sony and MS to make it and painless for developers as possible.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Depending on the network environment, Sony's servers have to be very nearly in town.
You know why youtube and netflix load fast as hell for you? Because they have servers in your town! Big internet companies regularly build out servers around the world that peer with local ISPs to keep latency low and cache data closer to clients, it's called a CDN. There are even companies that provide CDN-as-a-service to other companies. Sony building Playstation farms around the world, or striking a deal with a CDN to outsource it, wouldn't be crazy at all.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I cannot myself imagine a solution to this problem, therefore it will never exist. Suck it scrublords.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

DrNutt posted:

I cannot myself imagine a solution to this problem, therefore it will never exist. Suck it scrublords.

but if i don't have my sweet rig to work on i might have to meet girls and do sex

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

DrNutt posted:

Moore's Law broke. That's not to say it's against the laws of physics (although the limits of electrical computer engineering and the speed of light, which we're up against now, won't just shut the gently caress up to appease you), but extrapolation only works when conditions are and can be expected to remain stable.

acksplode posted:

You know why youtube and netflix load fast as hell for you? Because they have servers in your town! Big internet companies regularly build out servers around the world that peer with local ISPs to keep latency low and cache data closer to clients, it's called a CDN. There are even companies that provide CDN-as-a-service to other companies. Sony building Playstation farms around the world, or striking a deal with a CDN to outsource it, wouldn't be crazy at all.

CDNs is a fancy New Web marketing term for mirrors. Mirroring is trivial for file servers, but how do you propose to mirror on-the-fly simulation and rendering farms?

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 28, 2016

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I am very much into all-digital since I've been using Steam since 2005 and all my PS4 games are digital but I understand why people like physical media and why it's necessary in many places and I'm glad people have the option.

Streaming games is a whole different thing though. It bothers me on a basic level with the central servers because we have literally billions of CPUs around us idling. Why abandon the distributed computing that our infrastructure already supports in favor of a mainframe system for everything? The only benefit I can think of is, like, a central repository for all your software and saved games. And I guess more efficient use of CPU cycles? Maybe?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I've been gung-ho on digital ever since I got a 2TB in my PS4 but I still buy retail copies of games that I only plan to play sporadically. Ratchet and Clank? Disc. Overwatch? Digital.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

CDNs is a fancy New Web marketing term for mirrors. Mirroring is trivial for file servers, but how do you propose to mirror on-the-fly simulation and rendering farms?
You're an idiot and have no idea what you're talking about! Stop posting please!

acksplode
May 17, 2004

bloodychill posted:

I am very much into all-digital since I've been using Steam since 2005 and all my PS4 games are digital but I understand why people like physical media and why it's necessary in many places and I'm glad people have the option.

Streaming games is a whole different thing though. It bothers me on a basic level with the central servers because we have literally billions of CPUs around us idling. Why abandon the distributed computing that our infrastructure already supports in favor of a mainframe system for everything? The only benefit I can think of is, like, a central repository for all your software and saved games. And I guess more efficient use of CPU cycles? Maybe?
One of the benefits of our distributed computing infrastructure is that we can offload processing to another physical location and let the client do less work, and let us forget that hardware exists. Remote playing from my MacBook with a poo poo Intel GPU to my PS4 miles away has been a wonderful application of distributed computing. And if Sony got really good at providing me with a ps4 to remote play to, why not take advantage of the resulting efficiencies? The same market force that caused this forum to be hosted alongside a million other companies on hardware owned by a single company is coming to gaming, and it's beginning to play out.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Most people stop using PSNow once they realize that the app that came with TV isn't free and get charged after their first thirty days.

Policenaut posted:

I've been gung-ho on digital ever since I got a 2TB in my PS4 but I still buy retail copies of games that I only plan to play sporadically. Ratchet and Clank? Disc. Overwatch? Digital.

That's been my point of view for a while too. Especially if it's a game with a multiplayer focus/online only anyway.

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 28, 2016

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I don't buy digital because I almost never go back to a game after I'm bored with it and can get 100% of my money back by selling quickly and using Amazon deals. e.g. bought uncharted 4 for $53 Cdn and sold for $57 Cdn the same week after finishing it.

Only exception are really good psn deals and late night impulse buys that I usually regret.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Moore's Law broke. That's not to say it's against the laws of physics (although the limits of electrical computer engineering and the speed of light, which we're up against now, won't just shut the gently caress up to appease you), but extrapolation only works when conditions are and can be expected to remain stable.

This is a great username/post combo, btw.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Motherfucking scientists now have theoretical ways to conceptualize how honest to goodness warp drives and teleporters could work but game streaming is just too much for me to imagine ever working.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
lol I can't even start PSNow because I have too weak an Internet connection

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
In the new interface for inventory in Witcher 3 is there any sign that you will just be able to use potions from the menu without equipping them first? Its nothing unique for their weird interface ideas but holy hell that's annoying.

Edit: I would have even preferred the old way where you can only use them while meditating.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 28, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DrNutt posted:

Motherfucking scientists now have theoretical ways to conceptualize how honest to goodness warp drives and teleporters could work but game streaming is just too much for me to imagine ever working.

Theory and practice are two very different things. Especially when ISP's are happy to dick customers over and sit on their existing network infrastructure instead of actually upgrading or expanding it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Guys, No Mans Sky was delayed til AUGUST 💀

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Plenty of time to pick up the new TNMT game, which is fun and good, especially with friends.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

nobody else seems to like it.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Shellshocked... :negative:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
In news that people most likely aren't interested in, the dead island remasters will be coming out next week. I remember liking it somewhat but then again, I never made it that far.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I wanted to like it, but it committed the sin of scaling enemy levels. And it just looked ugly as hell.

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Guys, No Mans Sky was delayed til AUGUST 💀

Jesus that's sloppy. They just realised now it'll take months more work?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I'm pretty sure it's going to be the next Spore at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

acksplode posted:

You're an idiot and have no idea what you're talking about! Stop posting please!

Words are good for explaining things; give them a try.

Alternatively, you have a report button.

• Locked thread