Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Rocketlex posted:

Do we have any trip reports on going Six-Hog? If everyone's on point it seems like it could be pretty good.

had a game tonight where the other team went six hog and walked right into double bastion on hollywood, they did not cap the first point, then we rolled five hog because some pubby wanted to be a healer to help!!! instead of just going with it and we steamrolled them

also had a game earlier where they went six winston and i discovered just how badly torb shits all over winston

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemonpieman
Jan 18, 2010
So uh, I ordered this game on the 23rd and didn't hear that blizzard changed the release date, so I didn't get the noire preorder skin for the widowmaker. I got another skin for her and checked the list and I own the noire skin now? Cool I guess but I'm not really sure how that happened. Anybody else in the same boat?

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Kooriken posted:

Why is this game so fun.

I'm bad at shooters why am I playing this game.

*Picks Junkrat again, throws out some mines*

I got Okami Hanzo and occasionally pick him to play the skin and miss just about every arrow I shoot and then switch to something easier out of embarrassment but damned if I ain't having fun! :)

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

mormonpartyboat posted:

had a game tonight where the other team went six hog and walked right into double bastion on hollywood, they did not cap the first point, then we rolled five hog because some pubby wanted to be a healer to help!!! instead of just going with it and we steamrolled them

also had a game earlier where they went six winston and i discovered just how badly torb shits all over winston

Yeah. Having played a lot of Winston today I can confirm that a Level 2 turret is pretty much a hard-counter. Even if you get the drop on it, your gun can't damage-race it even if it isn't being healed! You might be able to do it by dropping a barrier in just the right place with the right timing but...yeah.

On the flipside, my favorite matchup with Winston is vs. an enemy Reinhardt. You basically become Jerry to his Tom and it never stops being entertaining.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I had a... productive night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYZX4WP5--Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJPrek9L1G0

Overwatch only saves 5 highlights, so if you get POTG early and want to record it, do it then or you may lose a wicked POTG with Zarya. :(

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.

Zaekkor posted:

I got Okami Hanzo and occasionally pick him to play the skin and miss just about every arrow I shoot and then switch to something easier out of embarrassment but damned if I ain't having fun! :)

Like seriously I'm not great, I'm probably not even good but even when I'm getting rekt the game is hell of fun. Just had one of those "Torb dies but turret still gets the PotG" moments earlier today and I was laughing my rear end off.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I had an awesome match as Tjorn in Nepal and had a lot of good kills, so naturally I got POTG.

...the clip was me running around collecting scrap while my turret fired at some people. It didn't kill them. Literally nobody died in the clip other than one person I pegged for 5% of their health at the very end. I have no idea how that was POTG.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
idk how someone could think that having at least a single support and tank (i can't do both you stupid gently caress) is a "meta" thing but holy poo poo i am never solo queuing again

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Mei is so much more fun to play after remembering that I can just right click a frozen enemy and headshot them for the quick kill.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
Quickplay in Beta kept putting me up against players who were way higher level than me (it seemed) and generated a ton of steamroll defeats. Nowadays though yeah I've actually had a pretty good time doing solo quick-plays.

So I've been in a 6-goon queue a few times now and it's generally a lot better to play the game like that. Just today I managed to get a 4-kill on McCree's ult after planning in advance for the rest of my team to warn me when the enemy team would push... Only I didn't really need warning :ohdear:

https://gfycat.com/ColorfulPowerfulAfricangoldencat
2 ults for 4 deaths vs 1 ult for 4 deaths, I think it turned out alright.

In the end that encounter was a Team Kill and we won mainly by me reinhardt-shielding a bastion, but drat the team we were up against had an insanely good Zarya on it.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
probably the best play i'll ever have in this game happened tonight; it was the lijiang tower point with all the apartment buildings. we lucio raced to the point, and i beat the other team by a little bit because i was pharahing over. i peek through the window, see a pile of dudes running for the back door, and do the needful

doot rocketed four people off the ledge with one shot (including two meis), and they were apparently all grouped up because they all immediately left the game

rip, duders

Rocketlex posted:

Having played a lot of Winston today I can confirm that a Level 2 turret is pretty much a hard-counter.

even without a turret, i don't know what a winston can do against torb's alt fire shotgun. dropping him in two shots point blank is just silly

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Also today I learned that Winston can destroy Symmetra's sentries with one click if they are even remotely close to each other so I guess don't pick her against him.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Zorodius posted:

Nah, not all media is so cynically produced, and not every character is a stereotype. It's the difference between, "this would make a cool character" and, "I bet those idiots will eat this poo poo up."

For example, Tomb Raider 1996 versus Tomb Raider 2013. They're both trying to sell copies, sure, but the former's approach is "huge tits = sales, right dipshits?" whereas the latter says, "if we make a solid, relatable character, people will connect to her story"

There's some irony here, since the first Tomb Raider was an ahead of it's time genre-defining great game, and the latest is a somewhat generic cover shooter. And there's also nothing wrong with huge tits. We honor Mei in this thread. Just for the record.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yeah Zarya is pretty drat fun. Her ultimate when it paired with another person is just beautiful. I love Junkrat and Pharah attacking at the same time as I fired it off and we wiped out nearly the whole team, which costed them the game.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

mormonpartyboat posted:

even without a turret, i don't know what a winston can do against torb's alt fire shotgun. dropping him in two shots point blank is just silly

See, against a human at least you can jump around and be confusing. He's a tank in the sense that he literally taunts people into wasting time shooting at him as he leaps all over the place.

A lot of people don't seem to realize that you can kill Winston and still have lost to him because he distracted you for so long that you may as well have been dead for that time. My favorite thing to do as Winston is to just leap as far into enemy territory as I can and catch the eye of people who are running back into the fray from spawn. It doesn't matter what the situation is, nine times out of ten the moment anyone sees you they will drop everything, completely forget the objective exists, and chase you to the ends of the earth as you jump back and forth over their head (not even doing significant damage). Even in loving Overtime, for some reason, everyone just has to kill the monkey on-sight.

Winston's a fun character.

Rocketlex fucked around with this message at 06:59 on May 28, 2016

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

So you're saying the correct way to play Winston is Chaos Winston.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Guys please stand on the point

Or stand next to the payload

Just do it

For me

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
winston 2016

a true chaos candidate

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Internet Kraken posted:

I had an awesome match as Tjorn in Nepal and had a lot of good kills, so naturally I got POTG.

...the clip was me running around collecting scrap while my turret fired at some people. It didn't kill them. Literally nobody died in the clip other than one person I pegged for 5% of their health at the very end. I have no idea how that was POTG.

The POTG algorithm fucks up sometimes.

https://gfycat.com/AgileWebbedBarracuda

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

mormonpartyboat posted:

probably the best play i'll ever have in this game happened tonight; it was the lijiang tower point with all the apartment buildings. we lucio raced to the point, and i beat the other team by a little bit because i was pharahing over. i peek through the window, see a pile of dudes running for the back door, and do the needful

doot rocketed four people off the ledge with one shot (including two meis), and they were apparently all grouped up because they all immediately left the game

rip, duders

Coincidentally also on Lijiang Towers, I concussive blasted a Pharah right as she rocketed up. Pushed her back a bit but she clearly didn't notice because she came straight back down to nothing.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Guys please stand on the point

Or stand next to the payload

Just do it

For me

gently caress god drat it please.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

chumbler posted:

So you're saying the correct way to play Winston is Chaos Winston.

Yep. Even his Ult fits this plan. You could go his entire Ult without landing a single punch and still turn the tide of a battle because everyone dropped what they were doing to shoot at/run from the Scary Red Ape.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Finished the night with five DVA and a Tracer. It was good.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
This happened tonight playing with some goons. My first attempt at splicing a video together :shobon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywZ8vw2NuD4

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I finally got to play this game for the first time yesterday. It's really fun even if I am pretty terrible at it. Junkrat is my favourite so far but I've enjoyed the majority of heroes I've played. I was surprised how much more fun the flight option makes Mercy compared to Medic.

I think I've gotten pretty lucky with boxes and opened 2 legendary skins, although the Junkrat scarecrow skin hides his ridiculous facial expressions.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I'm glad they made characters for refugees from TF2 so I can continue the joys of hiding behind turrets.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pro tip for all my fellow idiots who got this on console: turn up your joystick sensitivity. Especially for vertical. I can actually kill airborne dudes now.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Zarya's ult builds way way way too slow.

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!
Dropped in from the sky as Pharah, fired off a rocket that hit a wall right next to two peeps who were in the process of flying off the edge, courtesy of Lucio. The light damage from my rocket resulted in me getting all the credit. It also got me PotG.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tokubetsu posted:

Zarya's ult builds way way way too slow.

the ult that wins games when combined with almost any other offensive ult?

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Why is Tracer so good

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Theta Zero posted:

Why is Tracer so good

Save States

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I M O the sound design in a lot of areas could be worked on, Mercy in particular doesn't feel very satisfying to play for me because the noises her guns/abilities make are very muted and kinda lame. I enjoyed playing Medic in TF2 because his heal gun made a really satisfying *KA-CHUNK* sound whenever you attached to someone and hummed loudly the entire duration. Ubercharge felt great to use with the huge crack of electricity. Mercy's heal hotdog meanwhile is just kinda twinkly and there's barely even an audible cue for reviving people beyond her voiceline.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Section Z posted:

Save States

That is a perfect description.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Section Z posted:

Save States

Everytime she uses her power, she needs to yell SNES9X out loud.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
There's a severe lack variety in the voice lines you can spam throughout the match as well.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Internet Kraken posted:

There's a severe lack variety in the voice lines you can spam throughout the match as well.

The Voice Line option should choose randomly from the pool of lines you've unlocked every time you use it GDI.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Internet Kraken posted:

If you look at the objective and spam the callout button, you can flood the server with messages for five straight seconds and annoy everyone if you're into that sort of thing.

Although I will admit that the lack of voice lines work for lines that are already repetitive, like Junkrat's "tick tock" one.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Theta Zero posted:

Although I will admit that the lack of voice lines work for lines that are already repetitive, like Junkrat's "tick tock" one.

I am so, so sick of hearing 凍住,不許走!, you guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
https://masteroverwatch.com/leaderboards/pc/us/hero/20/score

Apparently I'm the #80 ranked Mei in terms of score lmao. Any other Mei gods here?