Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

This show will end like final fantasy tactics with King Baelish shanking Queen Sansa after she tries to kill him for his bullshit. Jon and Arya wander off on unrecorded adventures.

Don't blame D&D, blame yourself or the Bad Pussy

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Xealot posted:

"I need a drink to get over my dead sister. You! Wylla or whatever! Get on over here with some ale and let me dual-wield those bomb rear end titties! Ned Stark is here and he's down to gently caress!"

I'm dying :haw:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The next Tower of Joy scene will be Ned walking in the door, climbing a staircase, hearing screams from through a thick wooden door, and running towards it. As he reaches for the door handle, Meera shakes Bran awake and yells "They're here we have to run!" and then someone stabs Bran and he dies. No one ever finds out the rest of the scene. The end.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

The next Tower of Joy scene will be Ned walking in the door, climbing a staircase, hearing screams from through a thick wooden door, and running towards it. As he bursts through the door he sees Lyanna riding Hodor like the last stallion in the corral.

Mystery solved.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Xealot posted:

Myrcella pieced it together. Tommen may have, as well. And it remains an extremely pervasive belief everywhere in the realm. It's pretty significant in-universe and tons of people know it.

Belief isn't certainty, though. Only the audience (and Cersei) know it for sure. There's a difference. We could've been left with doubts too, but they chose to confirm it, to affect how we viewed the characters.

All I'm saying is that finding out Jon's parentage could just be a way to color how we see what's to come.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
It could also be Ned walking in on Jamie killing the Mad King. Which would also be great and better than the Tower of Joy again.

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

tooterfish posted:

The next Tower of Joy scene will be Ned walking in the door, climbing a staircase, hearing screams from through a thick wooden door, and running towards it. As he bursts through the door he sees Lyanna riding Hodor like the last stallion in the corral.

Mystery solved.

This works. Brann uses his warging powers to gently caress his own aunt, fathering Jon, Jon kills White Walker Brann, it was all someones dream.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Nobody ever had proof either.

Ned staged a coup on the suspicion of Joff/Tommen et. all being bastards.

As far as 99% of everyone know, its a rumor that people chose to believe because of Neds reputation

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Ned walks in on Bran giving birth to Jon Snow, having previously gone back in time to impregnate himself. Lyanna, watching in horror, kills herself out of shame.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
I always assumed the Joffrey/Tommen lineage issue was treated in the show like this thread always says, might makes right. If it's a hushed whisper told amongst even commoners that Jaime is banging Cersei and may have fathered her children, you can be drat sure someone like Varys or Petyr with more resources and more invested has checked it out more thoroughly and probably gotten near the truth. It's more that if someone were to step forward and accuse such a heinous thing, they had better have not only an army (Stannis) but opportunity to actually seize the throne. A lot of people (the entire small council, for one) almost definitely know the truth, but it's in their best interests to just stay quiet. Nobody living in King's Landing is going to stir the pot and be immediately executed for treason against the crown for no reason.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Phi230 posted:

Nobody ever had proof either.

Ned staged a coup on the suspicion of Joff/Tommen et. all being bastards.

As far as 99% of everyone know, its a rumor that people chose to believe because of Neds reputation

Well, Cersei did tell him.

It was well after Ned had already decided (based on her kids looking too much like her, the horror!), so I don't give him a complete pass. Had he been smarter, he would've talked to Robert, and all 4 would've died based on his suspicion alone.

The problem is Stannis, who rebelled against the rightful king on the recanted word of a traitor. For a dude with a hard on for the law, he sure ignored it when it was convenient.

I wish there was a way to watch the events of season 1 without that knowledge. Some guy from the North shows up, decides the Queen is a cheat and accuses her because her kids are blonde. And the King would 100% percent take his word for it and murder all of them. Oh, and his wife kidnaps her brother before that.

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

Bobo the Red posted:

It was well after Ned had already decided (based on her kids looking too much like her, the horror!), so I don't give him a complete pass. Had he been smarter, he would've talked to Robert, and all 4 would've died based on his suspicion alone.

The problem is Stannis, who rebelled against the rightful king on the recanted word of a traitor. For a dude with a hard on for the law, he sure ignored it when it was convenient.

I wish there was a way to watch the events of season 1 without that knowledge. Some guy from the North shows up, decides the Queen is a cheat and accuses her because her kids are blonde. And the King would 100% percent take his word for it and murder all of them. Oh, and his wife kidnaps her brother before that.

He's not some guy from the north he's the hand of the King, warden of the birth and the Kings best bro

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Bobo the Red posted:

He also told Cersei so she could flee Robert's wrath, because he didn't want the kids to die.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Super Deuce posted:

He also told Cersei so she could flee Robert's wrath, because he didn't want the kids to die.

Yeah he's really got a thing for not wanting secret love-children to get murdered by Robert Baratheon.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Super Deuce posted:

Sure. Which is like, this weird lovely mercy (that gets him killed). "Hey I'm definitely going to ruin your life based on this book I read, but I'm such a good dude that I'll give you a running start. A woman and 3 kids on the run should be able to do just fine"

MG3 posted:

He's not some guy from the north he's the hand of the King, warden of the birth and the Kings best bro

Some best bro. Got him killed, and managed to squeeze in an actual treasonous act right before.

Bobo the Red fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 28, 2016

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
the other guy doing the same job was also murdered for even thinking about that. they arent innocent people

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Jon Arynn was murdered by his wife though, not the Lannisters.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Advice posted:

I always assumed the Joffrey/Tommen lineage issue was treated in the show like this thread always says, might makes right. If it's a hushed whisper told amongst even commoners that Jaime is banging Cersei and may have fathered her children, you can be drat sure someone like Varys or Petyr with more resources and more invested has checked it out more thoroughly and probably gotten near the truth. It's more that if someone were to step forward and accuse such a heinous thing, they had better have not only an army (Stannis) but opportunity to actually seize the throne. A lot of people (the entire small council, for one) almost definitely know the truth, but it's in their best interests to just stay quiet. Nobody living in King's Landing is going to stir the pot and be immediately executed for treason against the crown for no reason.

Oh my god its almost as if one of the themes of the book is that power lies where people believe it to be

The show has no subtext or subtlety, or any merit really betond being popular

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

That theme is equally present in the show but you're choosing to ignore it.

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

Phi230 posted:

Oh my god its almost as if one of the themes of the book is that power lies where people believe it to be

The show has no subtext or subtlety, or any merit really betond being popular

The show has the high sparrow holding power.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

tooterfish posted:

Jon Arynn was murdered by his wife though, not the Lannisters.

ya, sorry, they weren't really connected thoughts. ned knows arryn was assassinated, told it was the lannisters - hes not just loving with them off of a single hunch

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Bobo the Red posted:

Sure. Which is like, this weird lovely mercy (that gets him killed). "Hey I'm definitely going to ruin your life based on this book I read, but I'm such a good dude that I'll give you a running start. A woman and 3 kids on the run should be able to do just fine"

Some best bro. Got him killed, and managed to squeeze in an actual treasonous act right before.

How exactly did Ned cause Robert's death, since Robert was already being drugged on the hunting trip when Ned was confronting Cersei. Regardless, blaming one person for the actions of another is flawed reasoning in the real world and it's flawed reasoning here. What got Robert killed is that Cersei had had enough of his poo poo and had Lancel "poison" him. And, while I don't have any evidence of this, I would assume Ned's intention would be for Cersei to live out her life at Casterly Rock, protected by Tywin. Would it cause a civil war? Probably. But to Ned, it was a worse solution than

A) not telling Robert and having Robert's bloodline dissolved or
B) not telling Cersei, and having the four of them executed.

It's not a matter of intelligence but rather naivete, hope, and mercy. It's tragic, not because the protagonist (at the time) is making poor decision after poor decision (like Cersei in her plot lines in season 5), but rather because he is making decisions that actually would lead to a better conclusion in other stories/worlds/etc.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

mastajake posted:

How exactly did Ned cause Robert's death, since Robert was already being drugged on the hunting trip when Ned was confronting Cersei. Regardless, blaming one person for the actions of another is flawed reasoning in the real world and it's flawed reasoning here. What got Robert killed is that Cersei had had enough of his poo poo and had Lancel "poison" him. And, while I don't have any evidence of this, I would assume Ned's intention would be for Cersei to live out her life at Casterly Rock, protected by Tywin. Would it cause a civil war? Probably. But to Ned, it was a worse solution than

A) not telling Robert and having Robert's bloodline dissolved or
B) not telling Cersei, and having the four of them executed.

It's not a matter of intelligence but rather naivete, hope, and mercy. It's tragic, not because the protagonist (at the time) is making poor decision after poor decision (like Cersei in her plot lines in season 5), but rather because he is making decisions that actually would lead to a better conclusion in other stories/worlds/etc.

I mean, if we're removing causal things, Robert died because there was a hole in his body.

A hole made by a boar, largely because he was drunk, because Lancel got him drunk, because Cersei told him to, because something caused Cersei to finally act against him after almost 20 years. What are the chances that that something wasn't Ned poking around and starting poo poo with the Lannisters?

Just because Ned only confronted her after the plan was in motion doesn't mean his investigation didn't cause her reaction. She has spies. Also, Littlefinger probably told her.

In the end, he didn't tell Robert. He had two distinct chances to save Robert's line, but didn't take either. Instead, he committed treason twice, first by trying to let her escape, and again by altering the king's words on a succession document.

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

Neds "honor" got him killed

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

i really like jon "knowing nothing" its cool

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

imo the parts of the show without bran & arya are cool and fun to watch. the arya storyline has potential, the bran story has totally vaulted over a row of sharks and is groan inducingly bad

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
Bran is gonna see the ToJ, realize Howland knows the truth, and he and Meera will set off for Greywater

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

IMB posted:

Bran is gonna see the ToJ, realize Howland knows the truth, and he and Meera will set off for Greywater
Because walking/sled-dogging from north of the Wall to the Neck is a lot easier than watching the next episode of TreeTV.

I'm not saying you're wrong.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
I just realized why they're dragging out the ToJ stuff; it's to convince the more involved readers/viewers that their theory about Lyanna and Rhaegar is correct and a sure thing, to make the reality that much more surprising and disturbing. Ned is Jon's father, and Lyanna is his mother, and Rhaegar was just a sympathetic friend who understood their feelings. Ned was just too weak to stand up to Robert's temperament, and had to play the part in the war in the vain hope that he and Lyanna could be reunited. Unfortunately, Lyanna decided she would rather die than be married to Robert, and killed herself when Ned tried to bring her back, leaving baby Jon behind.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Finding out Jon was an incest baby from Stark inbreeding would probably be akin to Vader's 'I am your father!' moment, only twice as hilarious.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Without incest babies there would be no game of thrones
Think about it

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Holy poo poo i think you guys are onto something

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
If Hodor is Hold the Door the maybe Wylla is White Walker Lady

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I just realized why they're dragging out the ToJ stuff; it's to convince the more involved readers/viewers that their theory about Lyanna and Rhaegar is correct and a sure thing, to make the reality that much more surprising and disturbing. Ned is Jon's father, and Lyanna is his mother, and Rhaegar was just a sympathetic friend who understood their feelings. Ned was just too weak to stand up to Robert's temperament, and had to play the part in the war in the vain hope that he and Lyanna could be reunited. Unfortunately, Lyanna decided she would rather die than be married to Robert, and killed herself when Ned tried to bring her back, leaving baby Jon behind.

If this is even remotely in the ballpark I'll throw my remote straight thru the TV

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

If this is even remotely in the ballpark I'll throw my remote straight thru the TV

Time to update Jaime's scathing barb at Catelyn.

"The walking, talking reminder, that the HONORABLE Ned Stark hosed another woman! Who was, in fact, his own sister."

Also, it'd put Ned's madness of mercy reason for warning Cersei in S1 in a different light. He was sympathetic to her plight, not due to her kids but due to understanding incest. It fits perfectly!

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 11:11 on May 28, 2016

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
That theory is so genius that I actually hope it's true now.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Relative plus Lust = Jon

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

CrazyLoon posted:

Time to update Jaime's scathing barb at Catelyn.

"The walking, talking reminder, that the HONORABLE Ned Stark hosed another woman! Who was, in fact, his own sister."

Also, it'd put Ned's madness of mercy reason for warning Cersei in S1 in a different light. He was sympathetic to her plight, not due to her kids but due to understanding incest. It fits perfectly!

This would explain why Jon Snuh knows nothing. He got a double dose of Stark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1SzoNCshU4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Hasn't it been a couple/few years since HBO pre-empted the Memorial Day weekend ep of GoT? Will we be getting Ep 6 tomorrow night at 9?

• Locked thread