Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Crowsbeak posted:

It is horrible, Labor camps are a better way, it gives them a chance to reform, and appreciate their lives and being part of a greater whole.

Reform by learning how a society does not function solely as a series of business contracts with perfect information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Ghetto Prince posted:

The big thing that still worries me about this election is how Trump has made it so acceptable to openly hate and attack Muslims, because I know the kind of people who will go after them are going to feel empowered to do the same poo poo to black people and jews again, and probably hispanic and gay people now too.

Shouldn't that order be inverted? I feel like openly hating the gays and Latinos is still a bit more acceptable than blacks and Jews, but the latter two are starting to slide. But maybe I'm just basing all that on the usual bigots around me and Trump is having a different effect.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.

Ghetto Prince posted:

The big thing that still worries me about this election is how Trump has made it so acceptable to openly hate and attack Muslims, because I know the kind of people who will go after them are going to feel empowered to do the same poo poo to black people and jews again, and probably hispanic and gay people now too.

Isn't it possible to hate Muslims without being a jack-of-all-trades bigot?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

SealHammer posted:

No not really. It's an icy slope.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

SealHammer posted:

Ask Bibi?

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Grognan posted:

poo poo probably got reeeeeeaaallll complicated once an investigation started and someone is going to be making decisions of this nature.

Also here's an article written about the Nevada state convention that might be interesting to read.

https://www.newsreview.com/reno/newsview/blogs#BlogPost-20963634

quote:

Death threats
First let’s define the term. This is a death threat: “I am going to kill you.” This is not: “You should be killed.” There were no death threats against Nevada Democratic Party chair Roberta Lange. Poor taste? Sure. But this is the United States of America. We don’t have speech codes requiring politeness. U.S. Supreme Court Justice Hugo Black: “It is a prized American privilege to speak one’s mind, though not always with perfect good taste, on all public institutions."
The “death threat” example used by the New York Times, for instance, was (in the Times shortened form) that Lange SHOULD be “hung in public execution.” But the caller didn’t say he was GOING to hang her in public execution. He said, “This is a citizen of the United States of America and I just wanted to let you know that I think people like you should be hung in a public execution to show this world that we won’t stand for this sort of corruption.”

There we have it - there have never been death threats against abortion providers or other women's health officials. When someone without their head firmly lodged in their colon reads that, the message is clear: this person should die, whoever does it is right in doing so.

At extreme risk of primary talk - there's only a single claim out of that whole fracas that I question. There's an accusation that the rule requiring delegates to be a member of the party by a specific date was adopted after the date had passed. I've seen it anywhere from "the first vote at the convention" to adopted beforehand, but it's not something I've been able to get a concrete claim on.

Is there anything to that or is it just a conspiracy theory from /r/the_sanders?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Harik posted:

There we have it - there have never been death threats against abortion providers or other women's health officials. When someone without their head firmly lodged in their colon reads that, the message is clear: this person should die, whoever does it is right in doing so.

At extreme risk of primary talk - there's only a single claim out of that whole fracas that I question. There's an accusation that the rule requiring delegates to be a member of the party by a specific date was adopted after the date had passed. I've seen it anywhere from "the first vote at the convention" to adopted beforehand, but it's not something I've been able to get a concrete claim on.

Is there anything to that or is it just a conspiracy theory from /r/the_sanders?

Lol "I didn't SPECIFICALLY lay out a plan to kill you, so it's unfair to take my suggestion you should be murdered as a threat!"

And I don't know what the exact rules were, but half of the rules committee was Sanders supporters, so whatever the rule was his team agreed to it.

But it doesn't even matter because literally HUNDREDS of his delegates didn't even show. The five people who bothered to show up AND got disqualified for party registration reasons weren't going to swing things.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

We're not going to ban general election chat like we do primary chat, are we? It'll be ridiculous if the USPOL October thread can't talk about the election.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Harik posted:

That actually makes a lot of sense. "I will kill you" is a threat, "you should be killed" is an opinion. If the latter is defined as a threat, then half of D&D is going to the pokey for saying that such and such will be "first against the wall".

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

People are a little off base in what Trump is suggesting here. Right now the Sacramento Delta is not being drained of water at full speed because of a tiny endangered fish that keeps getting sucked into the pumping system. This, combined with new rules to limit the rate at which we drain the aquifer are what really has a bug up the rear end of the central valley, it's not about the water we get from Colorado.

Maybe if the central valley wasn't packed full of assholes running money laundering operations and calling them dairy ranches and almond farms they wouldn't be so ostentatiously touchy about water.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

boom boom boom posted:

That actually makes a lot of sense. "I will kill you" is a threat, "you should be killed" is an opinion. If the latter is defined as a threat, then half of D&D is going to the pokey for saying that such and such will be "first against the wall".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmiKenqLVAU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

boom boom boom posted:

Well, you see it doesn't apply to me because

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

boom boom boom posted:

Tell that to Thomas Becket.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

there wolf posted:

Tell that to Thomas Becket.

If you got a point, let me know, 'cause I ain't reading that whole Wikipedia page

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

boom boom boom posted:

If you got a point, let me know, 'cause I ain't reading that whole Wikipedia page
Who will rid us of this troublesome shitposter?

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

WampaLord posted:

We're not going to ban general election chat like we do primary chat, are we? It'll be ridiculous if the USPOL October thread can't talk about the election.

We're discussing it.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

mrfishstick posted:

The Atlantic interviewed an early 20s Silicon Valley Libertarian about why he supports Trump. It's a depressing read as you would expect:

http://theatln.tc/1sTpGkX

Asian girlfriend/wife seems to be a required accessory for racist white guy everywhere.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

WampaLord posted:

Primary chat is banned because it inevitably descends into a slap fight between Clinton and Sanders supporters. General chat won't have that problem.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

1stGear posted:

Primary chat is banned because it inevitably descends into a slap fight between Clinton and Sanders supporters. General chat won't have that problem.

That's a very optimistic thing to say

Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007

1stGear posted:

I see you haven't visited the general election thread recently.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

blackmongoose posted:

Who will rid us of this troublesome shitposter?

You're telling me knights will ride out and murder someone because I talk poo poo about them on the internet? Oh wow, I've made a lot of saints then.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

boom boom boom posted:

There's some nuance to be gained here. Going around and talking about saving babies from murdering abortion doctors directly leads to the death of Dr. Tillman. Anti-muslim rhetoric has lead to attacks against anyone vaguely arabic-looking.

The difference is that those words come from someone with power to their followers. I was just being snide that the article was handwaving away the threats with a fallacious argument.

Edit:
As for the second half of my question, I can't find anything anywhere that indicates that the May 1st deadline was changed between the initial caucus and the state convention. I don't even know what the conspiracy theory is - the republican-run election commission swaps the registration of democrats as a favor to the DNC so they can reject the_bernie's delegates? Unless someone else has heard something I'm going to file it under long-form birth certificates.

Harik fucked around with this message at 07:22 on May 28, 2016

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
It seems to me like the difference between saying "you should be shot" and "you should be first against the wall/struck by lightning/etc" is that I actually could shoot you if I decided to.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Chantilly Say posted:

It seems to me like the difference between saying "you should be shot" and "you should be first against the wall/struck by lightning/etc" is that I actually could shoot you if I decided to.
And where does public hanging for corruption fall on that spectrum? Somewhere around putting them against the wall, since both are organized public executions, right? So your argument is on the side of the article that said it was not a death threat. I can't tell if that is what you intended, though - clarify?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Chantilly Say posted:

You do know that "against the wall" means "get shot", right?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Jimbozig posted:

And where does public hanging for corruption fall on that spectrum? Somewhere around putting them against the wall, since both are organized public executions, right? So your argument is on the side of the article that said it was not a death threat. I can't tell if that is what you intended, though - clarify?

One of them has happened in American history and the other has not. That context is important.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Asher Edelman, one of the real life inspirations for Gordon Gekko, is at it again. Sure he's a sociopath who really really likes making money, but also he doesn't really give a poo poo if you don't like what he says, as revealed by the last time he was on a news program.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwK3-pdLH7A

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

You do know that "against the wall" means "get shot", right?

The Trump Wall will have spikes for mounting the corpses of the libs

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Chantilly Say posted:

One of them has happened in American history and the other has not. That context is important.

I feel like you're splitting a lot of hairs just to be able to publicly wish death on someone while condemning others for doing the same

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

Crowsbeak posted:

It is horrible, Labor camps are a better way, it gives them a chance to reform, and appreciate their lives and being part of a greater whole.

All that time to work really should allow them to concentrate on being better citizens.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

The real difference here is between shitposting on the internet about the revolution that is never coming ("first against the wall" etc) and calling a person and leaving them a message that can be easily construed as a threat.

"Don't leave threatening voicemails" isn't some slippery slope that will undermine freedom of speech.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

boom boom boom posted:

I feel like you're splitting a lot of hairs just to be able to publicly wish death on someone while condemning others for doing the same

That's this forum in a nutshell.

Or basic human nature in a nutshell, really.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

citybeatnik posted:

Or basic human nature in a nutshell, really.
Congrats! You have presumed to condense the entirety of human existence into 25 words. This achievement is worth 3 whole points.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arrgytehpirate posted:

No, Facebook guy from HS. If it was someone in facilities I would report the gently caress out of something that racist and blatant.

send a screenshot of it to their employer

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Anecdote time: I was able to talk with my mom in just casual conversation that, after talking religion, came to politics. We began talking about the Presidential election. She has probably voted Republican (she does not really talk politics) in past elections.

Her takes on politics right now:
1) She hates Trump. She hates how he name calls people. She hates how he trashes people. She hates everything that come out of him. She cannot understand why these people support him.
2) She does not really like Hillary either but "at least she is not Trump". She would be really willing to vote for Bernie because "he seems sincere in what he talks about". She said that she is either going to not vote or she is going to vote against Trump.
3) She asked me if I thought Obama had done well as President and I said that he did the best that he could. She agreed and said that he could only do so much with the Republicans blocking everything that he wants to do. She used the Supreme Court nominee as the prime example of how Republicans just do not want to do anything now.

The Republican Party has broken my mom. She no longer can understand why they are doing any of this and Trump was the final straw apparently. I wonder how many other Republican voters feel the same.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Your mom is what is generally accepted as a moderate, which is more or less defined now as not being totally blind in party loyalty, and tell her she is not alone. Independents and right leaning moderates are, according to most polling over the last year, utterly repulsed by Trump.

Most are only willing to stay home, not vote Democrat, though. It's as good as a vote for Hillary though considering that the GOP starts off with a handicap so whatever you.

Her opinion may change over the next 6 months though, depending on her thoughts on Dubbya, because Trump is rapidly approaching officially stuffed suit status (which is why so many former GOPe enemies have been happy to endorse him lately), but generally speaking people don't recover from being seen as fundamentally loathsome

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 14:06 on May 28, 2016

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Epic High Five posted:

Her opinion may change over the next 6 months though, depending on her thoughts on Dubbya, because Trump is rapidly approaching officially stuffed suit status (which is why so many former GOPe enemies have been happy to endorse him lately), but generally speaking people don't recover from being seen as fundamentally loathsome

Trump has toned down the rear end in a top hat basically not at all since clinching though?

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Litany Unheard posted:

"Don't leave threatening voicemails" isn't some slippery slope that will undermine freedom of speech.

It actually does, though. Prosecuting someone for saying "someone should hang you for how corrupt you are" is probably covered by the Watts decision.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

sean10mm posted:

Trump has toned down the rear end in a top hat basically not at all since clinching though?

oh no he's pretty close to the same bloviating rear end in a top hat he's been the whole time, probably much to the annoyance of Manafort, but his actual policy team and the people running his campaign are all the neoest of the neo-cons (including Woody Johnson and Sheldon Adelson, who Trump literally said their presence was automatically corrupting in any campaign) and he's literally said he planned on farming out as much of his policy to the Heritage Foundation, including SCOTUS picks

Behind the scenes he's primed to put Dubbya to shame in terms of being a puppet. Like literally the first thing he did after Cruz dropped was bring on a Goldman Sachs insider to be his campaign finance guy and, in all probability, shape his finance policy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

sean10mm posted:

USPOL June: Trump has toned down the rear end in a top hat basically not at all since clinching

• Locked thread