Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Ftfy. Such blatant bandwagon jumping.

This is some next level poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

^^^^^ thank you. I do try.

Aphrodite posted:

League of Legends characters are rip offs of DOTA characters are rip offs of Blizzard's own Warcraft 3 characters.

Dota and LoL have very different art styles. Dota stays very much within the magitech/steampunk boundaries of Warcraft, while LoL has much more of an anime and comic book influence. I'm not sure how you can look at Overwatch and NOT be reminded of lol.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Lizard Wizard posted:

A functional human being would have said "oh sorry, I meant I was disappointed with the game."

I'm sorry the schools failed you but it's not my job to teach you about context and subtext.

In Overwatch it seems like Quick Play occasionally decides to throw together two teams missing a person each, let them gently caress around for like three minutes in the level, then just as people join so the match can start it will reinstance entirely and kick everyone out. It's sloooowly getting better but the matchmaking at launch was pretty balls.

E: haven't had an issue with matchmaking at all today, seems like it got sorted out.

Rockman Reserve has a new favorite as of 04:22 on May 28, 2016

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Woolie Wool posted:

Why does the Legend of Zelda series need any kind of continuity at all, let alone the insane multi-forked time fuckery bullshit that has been wrapped around it? A legend in the traditional sense of a legend is the perfect framing device for serialized entertainment based on a formula--you've got a basic archetypal story that's interpreted a bunch of different ways at different times by different cultures, so you just make whatever game you want as long as you tick the Zelda boxes and not give a flying gently caress about any of the other games because each telling can stand on its own without any reference to any other versions.

And this is what you get just by default. Nintendo had to put in actual effort to gently caress it up.
It doesn't have a timeline. They're doing a Hero-With-A-Thousand-Faces thing in which the same basic story happens again and again. There are loose connections between a couple games (Ocarina/Wind Waker, LttP/Link Between), but even those aren't well-defined. Any sort of timeline is purely a fan creation.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

You're not supposed to take them that literally, basically. They're going for something broader and more mythological, in much the same way that the conflict in Mario is consciously not real: it is, even in the context of the game, just play-acting.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

You're right, of course, and the Zelda series was kind of a cool example of modern mythology in a way, except Nintendo went and published an official series timeline and hosed it all up.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ryoshi posted:

You're right, of course, and the Zelda series was kind of a cool example of modern mythology in a way, except Nintendo went and published an official series timeline and hosed it all up.
Clearly something that a writer went and put together after the fact for the art book.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

League of Legends characters are rip offs of DOTA characters are rip offs of Blizzard's own Warcraft 3 characters.

Imagine this but with videogames.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Ryoshi posted:

Really? I remember there being a controversy where some nerd cobbled together a possible overarching story and then nintendo said lol nerd they're all independent games.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Ryoshi posted:

You mean that Hyrule Historia thingy, right?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I got Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD on Steam because the entire Oddworld series was on sale and good lord is the port terrible. I can run modern games at max settings but using any anti-aliasing makes the frame rate drop to the single digits, playing without V-Sync makes the movement controls hang up every few seconds unless you jump constantly, and half the achievements are broken because closing the game resets all the counters.

It took me like half an hour of fiddling to get it running at an acceptable level but it's still pretty choppy, and going by the discussion board and guides I still came out better than some people.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Planetside 2: Repairs and vehicles. In any sizable fight you can bet your rear end there will be 2 or 3 incredibly boring fuckers who just run to the nearest vehicle, pull out their repair tool and start fixing. This makes vehicles ridiculously durable, I've seen people plant 12 or more players on a sunderer and constantly fix it, that thing isn't going down unless you can manage to drop an engineer with tank mines on top of the thing or get everyone to hit it all at once and good loving luck with that, I haven't seen people so unwilling to cooperate against the enemy then the current coalition against ISIS.

Add a penalty of some sort, make engineers repair guns heat up faster if whatever they're repairing is taking damage, make it repair less, something, anything! Its rigoddamndiculous that these tanks can just sit out in the open and not worry about dying cause anything short of 5 rockets hitting them at the same time will be instantly healed. Oh and this also applies to max suits, which are just robot suits players wear. They can stand out in a doorway while 4 engineers are off to the side fixing him and take a ludicrous amount of hits to kill strafe left for a few seconds before coming back out at 100% health.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Leal posted:

Planetside 2: Repairs and vehicles. In any sizable fight you can bet your rear end there will be 2 or 3 incredibly boring fuckers who just run to the nearest vehicle, pull out their repair tool and start fixing. This makes vehicles ridiculously durable, I've seen people plant 12 or more players on a sunderer and constantly fix it, that thing isn't going down unless you can manage to drop an engineer with tank mines on top of the thing or get everyone to hit it all at once and good loving luck with that, I haven't seen people so unwilling to cooperate against the enemy then the current coalition against ISIS.

Add a penalty of some sort, make engineers repair guns heat up faster if whatever they're repairing is taking damage, make it repair less, something, anything! Its rigoddamndiculous that these tanks can just sit out in the open and not worry about dying cause anything short of 5 rockets hitting them at the same time will be instantly healed. Oh and this also applies to max suits, which are just robot suits players wear. They can stand out in a doorway while 4 engineers are off to the side fixing him and take a ludicrous amount of hits to kill strafe left for a few seconds before coming back out at 100% health.

Something like regenerating health in FPS's would work, I think. A short delay between when you take damage and repairs kicking in, so you need a few seconds of not being under fire before the tool starts to work.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
For what it's worth, yes there is an official Zelda timeline. It forks three ways at Ocarina, and it's this (Not pictured: A Link Between Worlds fits somewhere between Link's Awakening and the original):

The timeline was probably first envisioned in Ocarina, but took until Wind Waker to understand the actual reasonings behind all three forks. But it also doesn't matter, outside of the 'partnered' games that are obviously connected (Zelda/Adventure of Link, LttP/Link's Awakening/ALBW, OoT/Majora, the Oracles, the Toon Link trilogy) there is no tangible connection beyond Ganon.

The full Zelda timeline matters even less than Final Fantasy's multiverse, and all Final Fantasy does is have Gilgamesh wander between games with swag from older ones.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Cleretic posted:

The full Zelda timeline matters even less than Final Fantasy's multiverse, and all Final Fantasy does is have Gilgamesh wander between games with swag from older ones.

The thing dragging down every final fantasy for me is that Gilgamesh hasn't starred in his own game

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

BillmasterCozb posted:

The thing dragging down every final fantasy for me is that Gilgamesh hasn't starred in his own game

Final Fantasy XIV is as close as it comes and it's fantastic

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Cleretic posted:

For what it's worth, yes there is an official Zelda timeline. It forks three ways at Ocarina, and it's this (Not pictured: A Link Between Worlds fits somewhere between Link's Awakening and the original):

The timeline was probably first envisioned in Ocarina, but took until Wind Waker to understand the actual reasonings behind all three forks. But it also doesn't matter, outside of the 'partnered' games that are obviously connected (Zelda/Adventure of Link, LttP/Link's Awakening/ALBW, OoT/Majora, the Oracles, the Toon Link trilogy) there is no tangible connection beyond Ganon.

So My Inner Life is before Wind Waker, right?

And where's Link's Crossbow Training?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Where does the animated Legend of Zelda take place?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Something like regenerating health in FPS's would work, I think. A short delay between when you take damage and repairs kicking in, so you need a few seconds of not being under fire before the tool starts to work.

This would be good, just anything. Its so frustrating that tanks and maxes get to extend their uptime by 10 for having a few people who can't gun so they just repair. You would think the tradeoff would be that any normal person would go "Man this is loving boring" and stop fixing something. But nope, normal people don't play this game, we got living robots that play video games and are programmed to fix the same tank for half an hour

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

What about Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland and Ripening Tingle's Balloon Trip of Love?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Who cares about any of those; where do the CDi games fit in???

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

BattleMaster posted:

Who cares about any of those; where do the CDi games fit in???

I'm guessing they're what happen if you wrong-warp to the final boss from the Deku Tree.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Well clearly, Crossbow Training is a side-story to Twilight Princess. And the cartoon and CD-i games take place in a fourth, unmentioned fork where Link was defeated but somehow caused a vast genetic mutation that resulted in all descendents of the inhabitants of Hyrule to be mentally deficient.

Soul Calibur II's Link is after Majora's Mask, when Link grows up the long way around and becomes a sword-hoarding dimension-hopping badass.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

BillmasterCozb posted:

The ideal Gilgamesh game would be done by PlatinumGames and directed by Kenji Saito (of Metal Gear Rising). He'd just travel between dimensions, collecting swords and kicking rear end. They don't even need a reason, he can just do it to fill up some massive wall of swords he has back at his place.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Inco posted:

The ideal Gilgamesh game would be done by PlatinumGames and directed by Kenji Saito (of Metal Gear Rising). He'd just travel between dimensions, collecting swords and kicking rear end. They don't even need a reason, he can just do it to fill up some massive wall of swords he has back at his place.

I would pay good money to play this game.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Inco posted:

:potg:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Inco posted:

There's a massive, dimension-spanning apocalyptic plot going on, that you never see in full because Gilgamesh doesn't give a poo poo. You don't even know who the real villain is, because Gilgamesh only turns up to challenge the victors after it's all over.

That's the trick with making a Gilgamesh game. It's not that there's nothing going on outside of his journey; there is, it's just that he doesn't care.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Mannfred didn't make his horde of undead applaud him after his speech. I bet Franz gets cheered after his speeches.

Dropped the ball on that one.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Cleretic posted:

There's a massive, dimension-spanning apocalyptic plot going on, that you never see in full because Gilgamesh doesn't give a poo poo. You don't even know who the real villain is, because Gilgamesh only turns up to challenge the victors after it's all over.

That's the trick with making a Gilgamesh game. It's not that there's nothing going on outside of his journey; there is, it's just that he doesn't care.

I love the idea of showing up to a battle after the plucky teenagers have defeated The Ultimate Evil and are all celebrating, going "YOU FUCKERS GOT SOME SWORDS? GIVE ME SOME SWORDS!", having them respond "Wait what who are-" and just wrecking them all (but not killing them, just leaving them in that state that all RPG protagonists get into when they've lost a scripted battle that is impossible to win).

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Morpheus posted:

I love the idea of showing up to a battle after the plucky teenagers have defeated The Ultimate Evil and are all celebrating, going "YOU FUCKERS GOT SOME SWORDS? GIVE ME SOME SWORDS!", having them respond "Wait what who are-" and just wrecking them all (but not killing them, just leaving them in that state that all RPG protagonists get into when they've lost a scripted battle that is impossible to win).

Because Gilgamesh is traditionally the super-hard bonus boss, much of the game centers around him skirting the sidelines of various major world-spanning conflicts, picking fights with whoever crosses his path when he does so. Because clearly, the people who are deliberately not going straight for their biggest enemies are the strongest, bravest and greatest of all.

The super-hard bonus boss in his own game is actually a flashback to Final Fantasy V. Because what's the hardest fight to a recurring superboss? Their initial appearance as a henchman that you actually are supposed to win against.

This is my new favorite game idea.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008
Well, I know I'm on the minority side of history, but I can't enjoy Total Warhammer. I enjoyed Rome 2, even some of the expansions although I got bored by Attila. Average player, not terrible or amazing. Tried the Empire, but they're like Rome, smack dab in the middle of a group of ungrateful rear end in a top hat Bretons and surprisingly dickish dwarves (whom we were buds till I guess we weren't). Got frustrated trying to defend fronts from all 4 corners of the earth, and "diplomacy" essentially trying to deal with a bunch of schizophrenic bipolar assholes. Hey, we buds in the middle of a war against a the greenskins we all hate? Cool, take the one army you have left and attack me while your cities are under siege by our common foe. Surrounded by idiots, fine. Take 2, tried the dwarves. I love the dwarves, they're tough, smaller units that pack a punch and don't break easy. I'm fighting greenskins, the total opposite: large numbers somewhat weaker boyz, variable morale, the zerglings of Warhammer. Yet every loving fight is a Pyrrhic victory, because the orcs spawn so fast is doesn't matter that I'm beating them every round. And worse, the orcs are so, so, so, so very loving much faster than dwarves. I've tried to meet greenskin armies in the field, only to have them, in a single turn, waltz directly around me and sack the city I came from. Fair enough, tactical blunder by me. Yet they still have enough bullshit action points to keep on truckin to my capitol so that even when it's my turn I can't catch them. Granted, they can't take my capital, but since I can never catch up they can sack every loving city I own without a real army (garrisons even up to 3rd rank might as well be paper mache in a thunderstorm) until I can pincer them between the original army and a second one from the opposite direction. Which of course leaves those cities open to yet another bullshit raid from the side I took that army from. Look, Dark Souls 3 was punishing, but at least it made sense in the end. Maybe I'm just getting too old for this poo poo. Get off my lawn.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I resigned myself years ago to that Total War is about as incremental in its design as FIFA and that it will never really improve on the core aspects in any substantial way.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Kaincypher posted:

Well, I know I'm on the minority side of history, but I can't enjoy Total Warhammer. I enjoyed Rome 2, even some of the expansions although I got bored by Attila. Average player, not terrible or amazing. Tried the Empire, but they're like Rome, smack dab in the middle of a group of ungrateful rear end in a top hat Bretons and surprisingly dickish dwarves (whom we were buds till I guess we weren't). Got frustrated trying to defend fronts from all 4 corners of the earth, and "diplomacy" essentially trying to deal with a bunch of schizophrenic bipolar assholes. Hey, we buds in the middle of a war against a the greenskins we all hate? Cool, take the one army you have left and attack me while your cities are under siege by our common foe. Surrounded by idiots, fine. Take 2, tried the dwarves. I love the dwarves, they're tough, smaller units that pack a punch and don't break easy. I'm fighting greenskins, the total opposite: large numbers somewhat weaker boyz, variable morale, the zerglings of Warhammer. Yet every loving fight is a Pyrrhic victory, because the orcs spawn so fast is doesn't matter that I'm beating them every round. And worse, the orcs are so, so, so, so very loving much faster than dwarves. I've tried to meet greenskin armies in the field, only to have them, in a single turn, waltz directly around me and sack the city I came from. Fair enough, tactical blunder by me. Yet they still have enough bullshit action points to keep on truckin to my capitol so that even when it's my turn I can't catch them. Granted, they can't take my capital, but since I can never catch up they can sack every loving city I own without a real army (garrisons even up to 3rd rank might as well be paper mache in a thunderstorm) until I can pincer them between the original army and a second one from the opposite direction. Which of course leaves those cities open to yet another bullshit raid from the side I took that army from. Look, Dark Souls 3 was punishing, but at least it made sense in the end. Maybe I'm just getting too old for this poo poo. Get off my lawn.
I think this is pretty amazing for being completely true to lore in a way. Finally the lovely diplomacy and schizo AI fits the setting.

Also dwarfs are short and so they can't catch up to anything. You kinda have to turtle more with them than the other factions.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

having just finished Shadow Warrior 2013 and its enemies with three times as much health as they reasonably should have, I can confirm that arena shooters need to die

it was such a fun game otherwise, spoiled by every encounter devolving into sighing while firing rocket after rocket/charged crossbow bolt after charged crossbow bolt into some boring bullet sponge while using the healing spell to tank every attack it does and therefore being in no danger at all.

You're playing the game wrong if you're using the guns at all. I found once you piled upgrades onto your sword it was far more enjoyable to play with just that.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm too lazy to install it to find out, did the (semi) recent remake of Rise Of The Triad ever add actual saving and reloading to it? It dragged the game down for not having it, last I played, and the developers just whined about it being too hard.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Kaincypher posted:

If it makes you feel better thorgrim did the same thing to me with the roles reversed while I was playing orcs.

We're you using underway stance at all? It's pretty good for pursuit, though you can't engage or enter an armies ZoC. Also the game never tells you and it's dumb but the best way to force a confrontation is ambush stance. The AI will make moves without taking your army into consideration, so if you ambush in reinforcement range of a settlement they'll attack and you can wipe them.

If you want to slow them down avoiding autoresolving defensive sieges/garrison battles, if you weren't already. Autoresolve tends to skew results one way or the other and your units have enough morale they should do some damage before routing or dying. Especially the quarrelers.

I didn't expect much else, but the diplomacy is garbage. The interface is fine, mostly, and when you pull up the interactions you can see the ai's attitude to each one, except that information is not very helpful. There's three ratings - low, medium and high. Usually low means won't accept, medium means will with some bribery (except when they just accept straight up) and high means you can get something for your trouble.

You have to trial and error your way into finding a deal the AI will take. If it's medium and they don't accept you have to re-add everything again, which means reselevting NAP or whatever then going to payment, clicking a box so that you're offering money then retyping the number. Obviously I don't want to waste money so I wind up incrementing my way up until finally I find that this dwarf wont accept a NAP at medium, not even for five grand.

They cribbed from paradox for events, just crib from them again and display an actual numerical rating of the deal.

Also I'm pretty sure some dudes attacked me despite a NAP between us. And no one wants to trade with vampires :(

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

MisterBibs posted:

the developers just whined about it being too hard.

Isn't that what you normally do?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Lord Lambeth posted:

You're playing the game wrong if you're using the guns at all. I found once you piled upgrades onto your sword it was far more enjoyable to play with just that.
I only used guns situationally really but I feel like the sword was underpowered also. Even with the skill giving you 20% bonus damage against greater demons they still take far too long to kill, especially berserkers and warlords (though eventually I got the warlord-head weapon upgrade and just used it exclusively on warlords, effectively eliminating them as an issue)

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

ilmucche posted:

Isn't that what you normally do?

:drat:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Dark Souls 3: High Lord Wolnir is surprisingly new for the series, in that he's a very video-game boss fight. It's useless to attack his body, but he's got three glowing bracelets that do massive damage to him when broken. It's a little unfair in general if I'm honest, because he mostly attacks with his arms so those weak points are pretty hard to hit for a lot of the time. You can't target the bracelets themselves, so ranged attacks are out of the question, but since he's moving his hands and often has them off the ground it can be a tough one for people with melee weapons too. Couple that with the fact that he'll happily summon constantly-reviving skeletons on your rear end with an uninterruptible attack (since it brings the arms out of attacking range) and it's generally just a really unpleasant fight for any type of player.

But that's not what's actually lovely about him.

What's lovely about him is that this right arm constantly clips through the ground in most of his resting positions. This pretty clearly prevents you from attacking his weak point at a lot of times where it really should be vulnerable, and makes an already unpleasant fight flat-out infuriating.

I can't honestly sing a lot of praises for Dark Souls 3 as a Souls game, but it's been decent enough so far, except that this fight is just bafflingly terrible. Who playtested that fight, and how did they let that through?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Cleretic posted:

Dark Souls 3: High Lord Wolnir is surprisingly new for the series, in that he's a very video-game boss fight. It's useless to attack his body, but he's got three glowing bracelets that do massive damage to him when broken. It's a little unfair in general if I'm honest, because he mostly attacks with his arms so those weak points are pretty hard to hit for a lot of the time. You can't target the bracelets themselves, so ranged attacks are out of the question, but since he's moving his hands and often has them off the ground it can be a tough one for people with melee weapons too. Couple that with the fact that he'll happily summon constantly-reviving skeletons on your rear end with an uninterruptible attack (since it brings the arms out of attacking range) and it's generally just a really unpleasant fight for any type of player.

But that's not what's actually lovely about him.

What's lovely about him is that this right arm constantly clips through the ground in most of his resting positions. This pretty clearly prevents you from attacking his weak point at a lot of times where it really should be vulnerable, and makes an already unpleasant fight flat-out infuriating.

I can't honestly sing a lot of praises for Dark Souls 3 as a Souls game, but it's been decent enough so far, except that this fight is just bafflingly terrible. Who playtested that fight, and how did they let that through?

Wolnir is so janky in terms of difficulty. If you have the damage to break his bracelets he's comically easy - I never even saw him summon skeletons - but if your dps is even slightly too low he'll just mob you with skeletons and it becomes a hideous slog.