Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I loving love playing as Mercy. I feel like I contribute and I get 5-6 commendations every match. When you're in the zone and you manage to keep the entire team alive in the face of relentless assaults, it's gaming nirvana.

i love that all the supports are fun, it makes the game fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

All throughout the open beta and in the first week of release everyone was really nice and chill with each other. Since yesterday though it seems that every game has at least one tryhard that sits there berating the rest of the team and ends the game with a lovely remark about everyone. :smith:

It's in the massive minority still though and the game has a shockingly friendly community so I guess I can't complain, but I really thought I'd found that mythical rear end in a top hat-free shooter.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

no one in solo queue wants to play anyone that heals or has more than 200 health. it drives me insane.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Soooooo.... hero stacking. Good for the game long-term, or bad? A symptom of balance-in-progress?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i dont think they should impose hero limits for quick match.

i'm undecided though generally against hero limits for other things

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Soooooo.... hero stacking. Good for the game long-term, or bad? A symptom of balance-in-progress?

if it comes down to nerfing the heroes that are really powerful when doubled up, or imposing limits on competitive play, please just impose limits please god.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
I hope Blizzard go the Dota 2 way of balance, rather than their old way where they just mass nerf anything slightly powerful then nerf other things that also effect that thing ending in a double nerf making the thing totally useless.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

I hope Blizzard go the Dota 2 way of balance, rather than their old way where they just mass nerf anything slightly powerful then nerf other things that also effect that thing ending in a double nerf making the thing totally useless.

Lol, of course they won't.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure I heard somewhere (probably an A_Seagull stream let's be honest) that Blizzard said they wanted to stay away from the "nerf of the week" type balancing and instead focus on buffing rather than nerfing heroes in this game. Then again I can't even remember where I heard it :iiam:

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Internet Kraken posted:

Am I wrong in thinking Lucio is pretty much mandatory in KOTH? If you use his speed boost at the start your team gets to the point way faster, and if you have setup heroes that super important even if the point is locked. Getting to the capture zone first just gives you such a big advantage.

Does it though?
I make it a point to use a flanker (Tracer, Soldier 76) to get in the opposing team's back at the start of every round to weaken or distract them. If everyone rushes to the objective and they wipe, the other team gets a strong foothold that is hard to break.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Akumos posted:

https://masteroverwatch.com/leaderboards/pc/us/hero/20/score

Apparently I'm the #80 ranked Mei in terms of score lmao. Any other Mei gods here?

I'm one of the best pharahs in the world on ps4

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Just finally started playing after being busy as poo poo all week so I'm a bit behind already. I have a close friend I've basically played games with since Natural Selection and want to try out some fun combos. What would you say the most useful duo combo or duo doubling up hero would be to influence the game or shear annoyingness? I realize that's kind of a broad question tho

So far rein+bastion was pretty great and double gorillas was a loving lot of fun.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 10:40 on May 28, 2016

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
if the other team doesnt have good hitscan players the most annoying combo is probably mercy + pharah. bastion + reinhardt will probably stomp lots of bad people too.

or just go widow + mercy or double mccree and enjoy infecting your opponents with Gamer HIV

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Is there no way to buy the game on Steam? I don't need yet another gaming platform.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

If one of you likes playing mercy then she combos well with most damage type persons. McCree and Pharah both good combo options though a different playstyle in each. Doubling up heroes works well with almost any hero, because it increases the strengths of the playstyle without opening a huge weakness on your team. Any damage types, most defense types, roadhog/winston, lucio are all good doubles. What is good will change based on map, map point, and enemy comp so be willing to change if you stall.

If you can get your team to come with you, rein+lucio is really good for walking past chokes, you just speed boost and the other team really can't kill rein's shield before you all walk into a side option after the choke. Zarya combos well with anyone who can do a bunch of damage into her ult.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Renoistic posted:

Is there no way to buy the game on Steam? I don't need yet another gaming platform.

Battle.net is very light and a pretty decent platform. I'm surprised this is your first Blizzard game also.

ZypherIM posted:

If one of you likes playing mercy then she combos well with most damage type persons. McCree and Pharah both good combo options though a different playstyle in each. Doubling up heroes works well with almost any hero, because it increases the strengths of the playstyle without opening a huge weakness on your team. Any damage types, most defense types, roadhog/winston, lucio are all good doubles. What is good will change based on map, map point, and enemy comp so be willing to change if you stall.

If you can get your team to come with you, rein+lucio is really good for walking past chokes, you just speed boost and the other team really can't kill rein's shield before you all walk into a side option after the choke. Zarya combos well with anyone who can do a bunch of damage into her ult.

I don't know which hero it is, but the big robot-looking guy who has a large barrier shield and proper usage of it makes me cum every time

Even though I don't know any of the other heroes (except dva because that fucker bombs me every game), I like that I can tell what kind of roles they have by their silhouette and general appearance.

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 10:53 on May 28, 2016

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Battle.net is very light and a pretty decent platform. I'm surprised this is your first Blizzard game also.

Can you even call it a platform? I feel like it's more like a launcher with a friend list.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

ZypherIM posted:

Any damage types, most defense types, roadhog/winston, lucio are all good doubles. What is good will change based on map, map point, and enemy comp so be willing to change if you stall.

Does Lucios aura stack? I presume the speed doesn't? But yeah we'll try mercy/pharah since I like the former and my friend likes the latter. Neither of us liked Zarya much.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Dugong posted:

What's the PC recording program of choice now? Just d.va'd a team :stwoon:
AMD cards come with Gaming Evolved, NVIDIA cards come with Shadowplay, and Windows 10 has built-in recording as well now.

Your Computer posted:

Can you even call it a platform? I feel like it's more like a launcher with a friend list.
If it has exclusives it's a platform

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I played zenyatta once and have 96% win rate with him. No idea how that's calculated

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Off-hand I don't know if the healing aura stacks or not, but with lucios you can alternate who is boosting so you have that going almost constantly, and you can have both speed and healing going on at the same time. Speed boost is insanely good.

Zarya is a little weird to get used to, her shields don't last very long and against good players it can be hard to get a lot of charge. The thing is, her ult is amazingly good at breaking a grouped defense if you have anyone along that can dish out the damage needed. Just anytime you see someone extending into a bad spot and getting shot at just chuck a shield at them. If you're at a spot where you don't want to push in the next 10 seconds and they're spamming shots at a choke or something, you can pop out and shield yourself to try to get some charge.

Reinhardt+McCree/Soldier76 is another pretty solid combo, just make sure to communicate with your friend when the rein needs to back off to regen shield. Rein gives cover and makes sure stupid snipers/whatever can't kill your buddy, who throws out high damage hitscan. High noon from behind rein shield is also about the only way you're going to pull off a really big one, and flashbang lets you catch any flankers who try to come mess with you.

The other thing to think about is what map you're on. I'm too lazy to go through them all, but as you play them more you'll start to get a feel for what is good for who. Engagement ranges and vertical mobility are sort of the big factors I kind of think about for that stuff.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I played zenyatta once and have 96% win rate with him. No idea how that's calculated

I had a 118% kill participation as Mercy once.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Xaris posted:

Does Lucios aura stack? I presume the speed doesn't? But yeah we'll try mercy/pharah since I like the former and my friend likes the latter. Neither of us liked Zarya much.

They don't stack, but even without that having both auras up at all times and two separate Amp It Ups is plenty good.

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine
Played with the gooniest goon last night via Discord who kept vocally sharing despairing thoughts at every small setback.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

objects in mirror posted:

Played with the gooniest goon last night via Discord who kept vocally sharing despairing thoughts at every small setback.

goons are loving atrocious at this game to be fair

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

objects in mirror posted:

There are really positive groups out there too. I am sorry that you didn't have fun.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So are all Bastion players insufferable pricks, or have I just been unlucky?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Soothing Vapors posted:

my very favorite thing about tracer is how her only good skin costs 250 credits

posh, right? it's great

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Verranicus posted:

So are all Bastion players insufferable pricks, or have I just been unlucky?

well yeah, they play bastion

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Is it normal for me as a rank 7 to be matched with groups of 20+ people?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I remember a goon telling me that shooting Reinhardts shield charges his ult faster. Is that true?

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Pomp posted:

if it comes down to nerfing the heroes that are really powerful when doubled up, or imposing limits on competitive play, please just impose limits please god.

Too late, they already nerfed Winston shields because having two was bananas.

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

TIME magazine's Person of the Year 1996

Akumos posted:

https://masteroverwatch.com/leaderboards/pc/us/hero/20/score

Apparently I'm the #80 ranked Mei in terms of score lmao. Any other Mei gods here?

#63 Mei. Not a bad feeling, honestly.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Ularg posted:

I remember a goon telling me that shooting Reinhardts shield charges his ult faster. Is that true?

Lmao, no

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
My experiences are very topsy turvy where one match (win or lose) seems fun and then the next four are horrible slogs where my whole team basically gets contained to one spot and slaughtered. There's one map (looks like desert canyons) where we got trapped in the spawn by turrets and Bastions and we all just melted when we tried to break out. We tried to cheese it with multiple Reinhardts but got ulted over and over.

I think this game is for hardcore competitive level types only. There's no place for folks like me.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

try countering bastion as hanzo, genji or widowmaker

reinhardt is actually pretty bad against him. the shield just melts

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The hope was that we would stay alive long enough for the rest of the team to escape the spawn.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
I just had a great moment as Widowmaker where I snuck up behind the enemy's Widowmaker and just scoped in on them point blank and waited for them to notice. They never did so I said my "Hello" voice line and shot him as he turned around. I wish play of the game could detect moments like that.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
i played a really good offensive symmetra on dorado until the final push.

I basically ran around and put turrets on medkit areas and put a teleporter right behind the enemy flank on the 2nd to last payload entrance near the bank vault hole at the far edge of the map and it suprised them so much that we ambushed them from behind and cleared them out and pushed an intractable defense.

She can work wonders on offense if you try to look to shut the enemy flanks and deny them medkit access, very important for the enemy's offense.

I got roadhog and mercy and lucio killed as a result of that and was able to supercharge my beam while they were running towards the medkit for reprieve.

Basically Symmie is good and cool on offense payload maps if you know where to deploy your sentries effectively

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Dugong posted:

What's the PC recording program of choice now? Just d.va'd a team :stwoon:

If you're on Windows 10, it has it built in. If you have a Nvidia video card, you can use Shadowplay. AMD cards have one too with AMD Gaming Evolved. There's other things like OBS, XSplit, etc.. More focused for streaming however, but still provides decent recordings.