Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bitter harvest is BULLSHIT. Stop running into the ghouls quest giver you moron!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Been trying to figure out whats different since the patch and just realized, the Mastercrafted ursine armor color reverted to superior or something, i like it

only can manage camera phone pics right now

The new UI shows actual playtime which I never saw before

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I'd been using the stamina-healing decoction (echdina?) to heal for most of the game. It doesn't seem to work all that well in combat but it's very satisfying to charge the health bar back up by making Geralt hop up and down in place. The alt-Quen thing sounds better though, since it saves some decoction space.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

I'd been using the stamina-healing decoction (echdina?) to heal for most of the game. It doesn't seem to work all that well in combat but it's very satisfying to charge the health bar back up by making Geralt hop up and down in place. The alt-Quen thing sounds better though, since it saves some decoction space.

The Ekhidna Decoction is great for a signs build because you can blast a group or stun a large monster with Aard Sweep, which will heal a chunk of health and give you some space to plan your next move.

All builds should probably put points into Acquired Tolerance. A few points lets you run with 2 decoctions and you can still chug potions. My version of Geralt is always so toxic the grass should die when he steps on it.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
There an easy way to make money at low levels now that the cow killing is gone? I can't afford all these gwent cards plus trying to get bombs/oils/potions

Dirt
May 26, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

There an easy way to make money at low levels now that the cow killing is gone? I can't afford all these gwent cards plus trying to get bombs/oils/potions

Explore. Loot chests and monster nests. Sell armor and weapons to blacksmiths and armor maker dudes for more cash than the average merchant.

Money is tight for awhile but eventually you will have plenty.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Patch on Xbone is pretty good. Performance takes a hit in cities for whatever reason but all the UI improvements more than make up for it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I was going to start a new playthrough but now I think I'll wait for superpatch.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

mastershakeman posted:

Git gud and keep killing cows. :colbert:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Kill wraiths and sell the emerald dust they drop. Selling monster ingredients and craftables like that to the right people is ludicrously lucrative.

Also, something surprising. This is my first time playing through with an imported Witcher 2 save instead of a simulated one. At Oxenfurt academy I came across a note left by the two scientists from Flotsam in Witcher 2. Seems their experiment was to try and make Geralt verile again. Possible that he might be able to have children? I know he wouldn't be able to with Triss or Yen because sorceresses are sterile as well, but there could be a lot of mutated bastard children running around.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I finally got to the Ugly Baby quest in the main story. I'm almost level 22. I still have a ton of side stuff, in fact I feel like I've actually rushed the main story a bit, but I'm still way over leveled for it. To compensate I bumped up the difficulty to Blood and Broken Bones. I doubt I'll do everything before I finish the main game, although I will probably do some side quests and grab some question marks before I continue on with the main story. I'm guessing I should just save Hearts of Stone for after the main mission? Then after all that I can get Blood and Wine when it's out.

This game is really great, I'm actually a little bothered what I'll do after all that. I tried to play Fallout 4 a bit earlier since the Far Harbor came out and couldn't get into it because I knew I could play Witcher.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I keep dying to everything. What can I do to die less? I'm level six and pretty much every mob I encounter has a fifty percent chance of killing me, forcing a reset. I feel like I have a grasp on the movement and combat mechanics, but the game isn't purely skill-based, so I'm wondering if there's some specific places I should be spending my Ability Points to make my life easier?

Quen and roll around when you don't have Quen.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I keep dying to everything. What can I do to die less? I'm level six and pretty much every mob I encounter has a fifty percent chance of killing me, forcing a reset. I feel like I have a grasp on the movement and combat mechanics, but the game isn't purely skill-based, so I'm wondering if there's some specific places I should be spending my Ability Points to make my life easier?
Think of abilities as the goodies you can put on a cake; You can still eat the cake without any extra fluff.

Try starting fighting like this; Hold the parry button during the fight and evade hard hitting-attacks with the dodge. The roll is for moving quickly between/away from the enemies. Use the blast skill to open up shielded enemies.

After you got that down, start playing around with counter-attacks (parry when enemy health bar flashes) to open up their defenses instead and use the crossbow before/after dodging/rolling between enemies to wear some random sucker down a bit further. Mix and blend all the tactics and become a murdering ballerina in no time!

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
Tell me about the runewright. Last time I played HoS, I didn't really experiment with him. Tell me what is good to get.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Lareine posted:

Tell me about the runewright. Last time I played HoS, I didn't really experiment with him. Tell me what is good to get.
Making your heavy armor act like light armor is good.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Lareine posted:

A ton of stuff. I used fast attack skills so getting the blacksmith enhancement always on plus extending range of whirl was huge.

As to money in early game , I was hoping to just plow through main quests, darn!

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Levantine posted:

Bombs are the best. My favorite way to end White Orchard is to just toss a bomb as soon as that final fight in the bar starts. It's such incredible overkill and just showers in the Inn with gore. The innkeep lady's reaction makes a lot more sense after that.

Hahaha I'm doing this on my next run.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Lareine posted:

I got the one where alt-Yrden spawns a normal Yrden every time it hits. It trivialized pretty much everything I've fought since.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
So I finished Hearts of Stone. Did I goof by choosing to help the immortal guy? People are mentioning O'Dimm giving out spectacular rewards and all I got was a saber.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Palpek posted:

The Undvik armor set is also pretty epic looking.

But gently caress it, I actually love all the other medieval outfits, they look realistic and not like some fantasy cosplay.

Yeah, Undvik armor is pretty rad. That plus full beard + hair makes you the Skellige-est witcher. I noticed you can buy higher level versions of the armor if you check back with the blacksmith at Crach's castle later. Not sure if the other special non-witcher armor sets do that.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Mizuti posted:

So I finished Hearts of Stone. Did I goof by choosing to help the immortal guy? People are mentioning O'Dimm giving out spectacular rewards and all I got was a saber.

Nah, it's all crap.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Mizuti posted:

Did you also find the Viper sword while you were in the Shadow Realm™ finishing the bet with O'Dimm? You can't get that if you side with him over Olgierd.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 28, 2016

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
The saber is pretty dope, too.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
oh my gosh Johnny is so ugly he's adorable

and he's got quite the potty mouth!

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

8-Bit Scholar posted:

oh my gosh Johnny is so ugly he's adorable

and he's got quite the potty mouth!

I can't wait to replay Velen once the DLC and patch hit. So many great characters and quest chains.

Bloody Baron / Family Matters
Keira
Pellar and Princess
The Crones
Johnny
BOATS GUARD BOATS

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Pellisworth posted:

I can't wait to replay Velen once the DLC and patch hit. So many great characters and quest chains.

Bloody Baron / Family Matters
Keira
Pellar and Princess
The Crones
Johnny
BOATS GUARD BOATS

You forgot Yontek the village idiot.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Literally 15 seconds after receiving an ancient and legendary sword from a goddess, Geralt does this with it.

Its a murderstroke!

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

The best characters are clearly all the trolls.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'd be curious to read the books now. Is this a very long series? Is there any particularly good single entry to pick up?

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

the last wish is a collection of short stories and is probably your best introduction. It also introduces you to dandelion and Yennifer

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Swedish Horror posted:

The best characters are clearly all the trolls.

P much just because what humor the game does have is usually really campy, there's something charming about troll humor just being literally retarded.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I'd be curious to read the books now. Is this a very long series? Is there any particularly good single entry to pick up?

Agreeing with forums poster 'man whore', just read them in order and see if you like them. The Last Wish is a short collection of short stories, some will be more enjoyable than others based on what you think of Geralt as being. The second and final short stories collection is called Sword Of Destiny, I'm reading it now and I think it starts off more interesting to someone who is coming from the games.

There are then I believe 5 novels that are actual a linear story, with I think 4 now as of recently out in English by an American publisher for like 8 dollars a book on Amazon.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I think that even in translation it's better written than ASoIaF, at least when the epic part of it kicks off, in the third book. I like ASoIaF, too. It's good.

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite

Jack of Hearts posted:

I think that even in translation it's better written than ASoIaF, at least when the epic part of it kicks off, in the third book. I like ASoIaF, too. It's good.

The ending of the saga feels kind of rushed to me.

But at least it HAD an ending.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I dunno if Blood of Elves has a better translation now but I read it when it came out in English and it was abysmally done. The Last Wish is good though.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Did you also find the Viper sword while you were in the Shadow Realm™ finishing the bet with O'Dimm? You can't get that if you side with him over Olgierd.

Nope! Go figure that he'd troll the player by hiding that in a timed obstacle course.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Oh dear. I guess I hosed up the Fyke Isle quest. I brought the guy the ghost lady's remains expecting that we'd go back to the tower, because I'd seen that happen in some LP playthrough I'd viewed to get some info on the game. Instead, the guy takes the bones, tells me to piss off, I do so, the game says the quest's complete, then he screams. Lady's a ghost monster, flies away, Geralt grumbles. THEN I check her bio in the glossary and the game suggests that this event may have led to an entire city dying of an outbreak of plague.drat game. Way to make me feel bad. :ohdear:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Oh dear. I guess I hosed up the Fyke Isle quest. I brought the guy the ghost lady's remains expecting that we'd go back to the tower, because I'd seen that happen in some LP playthrough I'd viewed to get some info on the game. Instead, the guy takes the bones, tells me to piss off, I do so, the game says the quest's complete, then he screams. Lady's a ghost monster, flies away, Geralt grumbles. THEN I check her bio in the glossary and the game suggests that this event may have led to an entire city dying of an outbreak of plague.drat game. Way to make me feel bad. :ohdear:

You just got pesta'd :haw:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Man Whore posted:

Its a murderstroke!

You can also murderstroke people in Witcher 2 as one of the finisher moves.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
It's nice this game has such generous autosaves though. I guess the developers don't mind you save scumming, given how easily you can get killed by everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

8-Bit Scholar posted:

It's nice this game has such generous autosaves though. I guess the developers don't mind you save scumming, given how easily you can get killed by everything.

The game deletes your old autosaves however to prevent this. The nice thing is you can set the intervals for when it saves, however.