Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Wanamingo posted:

Worried about being captured on the battlefield? Have a stylish and practical jigsaw blade surgically implanted in your chest for a quick escape! :eng101:

Is this before or after I kill my weird mother/lover figure, wear her headband for decades later, and then totally misinterpret what her dying wish was?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

pulp rag posted:

Is this before or after I kill my weird mother/lover figure, wear her headband for decades later, and then totally misinterpret what her dying wish was?

In the midst of. :eng101:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

"Grigori, crack open that American's rear end, I bet he's got some sweet loot inside!"

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Brb, just attaching a razor blade to my car seatbelt, as per that article.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I like how it also suggests not going into rooms that may be bugged because "Whole rows or columns of hotel rooms can be bugged and they'll push foreigners into them!", but gives no advice on how to actually tell if your room is bugged or how to identify if you're being suspiciously booked.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

chitoryu12 posted:

I like how it also suggests not going into rooms that may be bugged because "Whole rows or columns of hotel rooms can be bugged and they'll push foreigners into them!", but gives no advice on how to actually tell if your room is bugged or how to identify if you're being suspiciously booked.

Someone didn't read the OP:

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Warbird posted:

Someone didn't read the OP:

Is the spoon for conveniently eating the ants when they all drown in the honey?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Kaethela posted:

It's a honey slide! :haw:

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Kaethela posted:

i'd probably drain the honey first, save it for my next ant trap.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kaethela posted:

It's to give them a fighting chance at getting out.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

It is spring, and that means time for stupid garden hacks. :peanut:

Apparently there are people out there who need to grow infinite amounts of basil, but don't know how to find basil seeds. Must. Grow. More. Basil.

Okay, if you really want to, I guess. The egg shells won't have any drainage unless you also poke holes in the bottom and carefully deconstructing your eggs to get the shells just right doesn't sound like a good time to me. The lemon peals might work depending on acid level, but how many lemons do you eat? The toilet paper rolls are technically biodegradable, but it will take years to happen in an average garden. This all seems terribly unnecessary. I mean, you can buy biodegradable peat pots for pennies each.

Oh god, why? These things are going to be incredibly lovely to use and look like garbage. Even plastic trowels that were designed to be trowels are a pain to use compared to metal trowels. You can get a metal trowel for a couple bucks that will last for years. Why would you do this thing?

These next three were listed as garden hacks, but seem more like hoarder/trailer park hacks to me.

Got a bunch of old colanders you don't use? Turn them into planters!

Got a bunch of old keys you don't use? Turn them into a rachet wind chime.

Is the city threatening to fine you if you don't clean up all the old tires littering you yard? Turn them into planters!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Looking again that collander one is especially stupid. It is only supported on two sides by chains, which means it is going to be susceptible to flipping and dumping everything on the ground. Like a animal. You piece of poo poo.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Facebook Aunt posted:

Is the city threatening to fine you if you don't clean up all the old tires littering you yard? Turn them into planters!

I grew up on several farms and I'll have you know that tyre gardening is de rigeur if you want to be seen as a proper farmer. My nan had sixty years worth of old tractor tyres that she grew veges out of.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
old tires are pretty dangerous if the rubber starts separating and exposes the metal wires. Like casually running your hand around it or rolling it around and one of the ends of the jagged wires pierces through your hand. I don't know how reasonable it is, but I don't like seeing people casually play with used tires like that.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Apparently there are people out there who need to grow infinite amounts of basil, but don't know how to find basil seeds. Must. Grow. More. Basil.

Okay, if you really want to, I guess. The egg shells won't have any drainage unless you also poke holes in the bottom and carefully deconstructing your eggs to get the shells just right doesn't sound like a good time to me. The lemon peals might work depending on acid level, but how many lemons do you eat? The toilet paper rolls are technically biodegradable, but it will take years to happen in an average garden. This all seems terribly unnecessary. I mean, you can buy biodegradable peat pots for pennies each.

Oh god, why? These things are going to be incredibly lovely to use and look like garbage. Even plastic trowels that were designed to be trowels are a pain to use compared to metal trowels. You can get a metal trowel for a couple bucks that will last for years. Why would you do this thing?

These next three were listed as garden hacks, but seem more like hoarder/trailer park hacks to me.

Got a bunch of old keys you don't use? Turn them into a rachet wind chime.

Some of these look less like lifehacks and more like fun projects to do with a child which you then dispose of once their attention is elsewhere.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

People have been using old colanders as hanging flower baskets for ages :shrug:

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Screaming Idiot posted:

Some of these look less like lifehacks and more like fun projects to do with a child which you then dispose of once their attention is elsewhere.

Why would you dispose of the child? I'm sure you can both enjoy other crafts.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Looking again that collander one is especially stupid. It is only supported on two sides by chains, which means it is going to be susceptible to flipping and dumping everything on the ground. Like a animal. You piece of poo poo.

As long as the centre of gravity stays below the hooks it's stable, so I guess the colander hack is to grow trailing plants, not loving apple trees.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdCfX7WVxu4

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
gently caress yes hot wine!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Related video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDuTpzV-nho

Aghhhh just buy moccs.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The basil one is nice actually, growing basil from a seed can be a pain and if you have a healthy plant it makes sense to clone it rather than starting from scratch.

No idea where your life has gone wrong though where it couldn't be improved a lot by more basil. Basil is delicious.

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

You too can learn a party trick that will bore everyone!

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Judge Schnoopy posted:

gently caress yes hot wine!

That's what the Dutch said and look what happened :colbert:

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Shillary posted:

That's what the Dutch said and look what happened :colbert:

Why the gently caress has a blowtorch but not a corkscrew

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Non Serviam posted:

Why the gently caress has a blowtorch but not a corkscrew

Corkscrew was damaged in a tragic lifehack accident.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

Of all these lifehacks this is the one that finally loving gets me. He says the cork leaves residue on the inside of the bottle, so wait for it to cool down and wipe it out! The whole process + cooling time is 5+ minutes. You could find literally any other way to open a goddamn bottle of wine. That was the singularity of over-complicating a process. :psyduck:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Exact same "trick" but you don't have lace your shoes like a wanker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbaHxsilsKI

I looked through about 20 videos on youtube about this and this was the least obnoxious one I could find. Goddamn people.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Isn't that how everyone laces their shoes or??

Img-zatiszeejoke??

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I see a lot of people who just tie their laces in a granny knot, tuck the leftover lace inside the shoe, then never untie them again, so that video might actually be helpful and mindblowing to some. It seems like tying shoes is something that just isn't taught to kids anymore.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Shoe-tying was a big part of kindergarten for my son, like the times tables were in third grade. You had to get that poo poo down.

But they still teach cursive at his school, too, so :shrug:

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Ryoshi posted:

The basil one is nice actually, growing basil from a seed can be a pain and if you have a healthy plant it makes sense to clone it rather than starting from scratch.

No idea where your life has gone wrong though where it couldn't be improved a lot by more basil. Basil is delicious.

Are you part Dreen or what?

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Hirayuki posted:

Shoe-tying was a big part of kindergarten for my son, like the times tables were in third grade. You had to get that poo poo down.

But they still teach cursive at his school, too, so :shrug:

It's easier for dyslexic kids to learn to write and read in cursive.

A shitload of primary source historical documents are in cursive, and your kid should be able to read them.

It helps develop fine motor skills.

It looks baller as hell if you've got good cursive handwriting.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Facebook Aunt posted:

There are some dumb garden lifehacks out there, but these ones really aren't that weird or bad (the milk carton shovel and painted keys are really stupid, though I agree with another poster that those look like project activities for kids more than anything). A lot of gardening tips like this are for people who want to reduce their impact on the environment, so the emphasis is on finding other uses for things rather than throwing them away or finding ways of doing things that are less wasteful/harmful to the environment.

Growing your own herbs is pretty awesome, and growing from cuttings is much easier and than growing from seeds. Herbs are awesome for cooking, and fresh herbs are so much better.

When you want something to start seedlings in, you aren't looking for a long term solution. Eggshells and gardening go together like goons and neckbeards. The eggshells don't have drainage, but that doesn't matter because you don't water seedlings too much - you just keep them damp because otherwise their tiny babby roots rot if they get too wet. You only keep them in something like that very short term while they are getting established. Then when you plant them out into a pot or garden, the eggshell breaks up and provides calcium and minerals to the soil around the roots for the plant as it grows. People putting eggshells in compost or at the bottom the holes when planting things is really common because eggshells are a good, free source of minerals as the shell breaks down. Eggshells are just thin layers of minerals, and plants thrive on that poo poo.

I also don't know what kind of crazy toilet paper rolls you have, but cardboard breaks down really quickly when exposed to water. They last maybe a couple weeks? Toilet paper rolls break down so much faster than any biodegradable pots that you can buy. I've not seen biodegradable peat pots for that cheap either, and if you are trying to be friendly to both the environment and your wallet (which a lot of these garden tips are aimed at), then you want to avoid or at least reduce peat usage as much as possible.

As someone else mentioned, using old tyres for planting things in is not really new. I think you're somewhat missing the point and the target audience of these kind of ideas. Finding ways to reuse tyres isn't because the city is threatening to fine you because you are trailer trash living in some overflowing scrap heap trash yard. It's because tyres are a huge source of environmental waste, and people want to find ways to reduce some of the harm that is being caused by the incredible amount of tyres being produced and dumped every year. Here there was a community project awhile back where people took loads of used tyres, painted them bright colours like in the picture you posted, and placed them around the town as planters with flowers in them. They look great - add a lot of colour as well as more flowers and plants to the community while also making use of a massive waste product that's difficult to dispose of.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I see a lot of people who just tie their laces in a granny knot, tuck the leftover lace inside the shoe, then never untie them again, so that video might actually be helpful and mindblowing to some. It seems like tying shoes is something that just isn't taught to kids anymore.
I am throwing stones in a glass house making fun of shoe hacks because I learned I was tying granny knots from a things I can't believe I just figured out thread somewhere on these forums. But its like everyone ties granny knots, and you always hear some jokester asking why adults can't have velcro shoes. But the shoe hacks are lace your shoes backwards and poo poo because I guess you can't youtube buying moccs.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

zedprime posted:

I am throwing stones in a glass house making fun of shoe hacks because I learned I was tying granny knots from a things I can't believe I just figured out thread somewhere on these forums. But its like everyone ties granny knots, and you always hear some jokester asking why adults can't have velcro shoes. But the shoe hacks are lace your shoes backwards and poo poo because I guess you can't youtube buying moccs.

Forget that. I want my Back To The Future self-sealing shoes.

YES, I CAN tie my own shoes perfectly well. I am just tired of dealing with shoelaces, and the velcro shoes just bug me.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Should have just eaten it off of the floor.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Why not just wash half the dishes?