Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Was The Fury

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

Zyla posted:

What's it like to tell a doctor you want to try weed to help? I live in a state where that is possible and have been thinking about it a lot recently. I'd rather be on something safer than the huge amount of opioids I am given.

I used to have an MMJ card, so I can tell you the California experience as of about a year ago. Find a clinic that specifically gives the medical cards, go there and fill out the form. You can be honest or lie, they won't really check. I was always honest though. Anyways you fill out the form, they call you in back to weigh you and get your blood pressure, then you skype with a doctor for 10 minutes and then pay a fee ranging from $30-$75 depending on the place you chose and then boom you are legal. You can go to a dispensary that day and go home with several ounces of weed as long as you've got the money for it. Many dispensaries also have bonuses for people when first joining so if there's enough around your area you can go several months always getting steep discounts and free papers/grinders/joints/grams/whatever their special deal is. Typical prices are about 12-20 bucks a gram for top shelf bud. Several of the places I went to also gave free dabs with any purchase so you can go home stoned as hell before even cracking open the goodie bag you just got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Was The Fury

I live in a large city that is notorious for having nothing to do. There were 4 dispensaries within half a mile of my old apartment.

FluffieDuckie

bonus technological improvement - now in cali you can "see" your "doctor" online by filling out an online form and paying and your card arrives in the mail

i mean we're not even pretending anymore

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

Matoi Ryuko

FluffieDuckie posted:

bonus technological improvement - now in cali you can "see" your "doctor" online by filling out an online form and paying and your card arrives in the mail

Do you just cough into an envelope or what?

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat
hey mods! welcome to the 'yob

I Was The Fury

FluffieDuckie posted:

Haha I never even bothered looking into that I just Googled "medical marijuana card" one bored afternoon and 4 hours later I was home with slightly more than a half ounce of weed, several grams of which were free. They also have delivery services in case you don't feel like going to a dispensary so you can just have your weed driven to your front door. It's ridiculous.

FluffieDuckie

Matoi Ryuko posted:

"please check the following qualifying medical conditions you have that allow you to use marijuana"

i'm not even joking

I Was The Fury

Matoi Ryuko posted:

A cough is probably less likely to get you the card though it only drops your chances from 100% to 99%. Go with "soreness" as your reason.

Matoi Ryuko

FluffieDuckie posted:

"please check the following qualifying medical conditions you have that allow you to use marijuana"

i'm not even joking

I'm sick of not smoking weed, that's my ailment.

FluffieDuckie

Matoi Ryuko posted:

change it to "not smoking weed is making me anxious" and you're golden

I Was The Fury

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Accepted. Here is your card and a list of local dispensaries. Have some brochures, the top five have coupons to their dispensaries for 42.0% off any purchase.

E: oh and of course tons of dispensaries have facebook pages so if you leave a review on either their Facebook or weedmaps profile then the next time you come in you get two free grams or three free caviar joints your choice.

VideoGames

HighwireAct posted:

hey mods! welcome to the 'yob

Hello thank you!
I really enjoy the slowly rotating images :)

http://i.imgur.com/mTvnWBy.gif

Matoi Ryuko

FluffieDuckie posted:

change it to "not smoking weed is making me anxious" and you're golden

Wish that worked here!! We just this year got our first wave of dispensaries and I hear it's nigh impossible to get a card!

I Was The Fury posted:

Accepted. Here is your card and a list of local dispensaries. Have some brochures, the top five have coupons to their dispensaries for 42.0% off any purchase.

A dispenary one town over and had an open house to commemorate it's grand opening but I missed it cause' I had no car! :(

I Was The Fury

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Wish that worked here!! We just this year got our first wave of dispensaries and I hear it's nigh impossible to get a card!

A dispenary one town over and had an open house to commemorate it's grand opening but I missed it cause' I had no car! :(

On April 20th all the dispensaries around here have midnight specials and then when their actual opening hours start the first however many customers get free poo poo. I didnt get in any of the lines but i made a run to 4 different dispensaries to take advantage of the day-long discounts.
When I first got my card I was baffled at how much primo weed they were just giving away when my old street dealer charged 25 a gram for scratch garbage.

Matoi Ryuko

I Was The Fury posted:

On April 20th all the dispensaries around here have midnight specials and then when their actual opening hours start the first however many customers get free poo poo. I didnt get in any of the lines but i made a run to 4 different dispensaries to take advantage of the day-long discounts.
When I first got my card I was baffled at how much primo weed they were just giving away when my old street dealer charged 25 a gram for scratch garbage.

bean mom

All this sounds good but I want to work with my current doctors and such but scared of bringing it up

I Was The Fury

Zyla posted:

All this sounds good but I want to work with my current doctors and such but scared of bringing it up

Okay well just tell them you're curious about the possible benefits of medical marijuana. Doctors are there to help and the absolute worst that will happen is they will tell you "it isn't a good idea because this reason and that reason"

They won't call the cops on you and I guarantee they get asked about it all the time since medical marijuana is a thing in your state. Hell I work at a major medical center that focuses mostly on the elderly and we recently began prescribing and dispensing Marinol, which is just weed in a pill. "Adverse effects include feeling high" lol

cuntman.net

defectivemonkey posted:

There are goslings in my neighborhood which are like ducklings but their parents will murder you.

i thought your name was detectivemonkey

CrazyLittle

FluffieDuckie posted:

west coast best coast

Piso Mojado

VideoGames posted:

I actually did have a pet bee. I used to leave little plates of sugar and honey about the room so he could bumble back and forth.
When I have my own garden I am going to have an Apiary! Also a pond with some ducks. This is my future dream.

it's hard work man, I have 5 hives and I went from loving bees to secretly wanting all those jerks colony collapse.

the sweet sweet honey makes it all worth it I guess.

Piso Mojado

FluffieDuckie posted:

are you kidding me?! I just awkwardly asked my doctor here to write a letter for me saying I have sleep troubles so I could give it to a doc in cali when I move lol.

Piso Mojado

I seriously have been planning a bullet proof & intricate back story like a nerdy high-schooler plans a d&d character so i can get my prescription first thing. :negative:

Barking Gecko

Mahoro says, "Naughty things are bad."

Zyla posted:

You could try bringing up medical marijuana by asking in a general way about alternatives to large ongoing doses of opioid painkillers. Many doctors are trying to cut back on prescribing those. Don't be afraid to ask questions. It's your body, after all. Have you done any research online? Pubmed http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed is a good place to start. A search for <marijuana chronic pain> should get you some useful hits (no pun intended - really.)

Peace out.

I Was The Fury

On a semi related note, charlie and I came across this on our walk

Someone had a good time on sidewalk creation day.

E: lol I just realized how hard that is to read. It says "marijuana is nature's way of staying high"

defectivemonkey

TWIST FIST posted:

i thought your name was detectivemonkey

It was! But when they changed the name of E/N I knew this would follow.

Also before the namechange my husband called me it sometimes and then laughed really hard.

Absurd Alhazred

by Athanatos

Matoi Ryuko posted:

(source)

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

CrazyLittle

holy poo poo the pa artwork is devolving

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat

CrazyLittle posted:

holy poo poo the pa artwork is devolving

to be fair, that one was from 5 years back

Robot Made of Meat

VideoGames posted:

Hello thank you!
I really enjoy the slowly rotating images :)

I found the tiltyness somewhat disconcerting and even annoying at first, but now it's part of what makes BYOB good.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Ohio State BOOniversity

HighwireAct posted:

to be fair, that one was from 5 years back

they're worse now

Matoi Ryuko

lol

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
States vary, the east coast states have greater restrictions and tighter controls than the ones you'd find out west. In Delaware, where I am- the requirements are tougher and there is an application process that includes a criminal background check and having a history clear of any drug offenses. Qualifying conditions are pretty restrictive, with chronic pain and terminal illness being some of the top contenders, and supporting proof of the condition(s) needs to be presented and clearly stated as well.

Delaware also requires one to have a 6-month relationship with a doctor, but one loophole around that is a company called Cannacare Docs who, for a $200 fee- will have a doctor licensed by my state recommend medical marijuana to treat my qualifying condition. My personal physician refused to discuss the matter with me, laughing the whole thing off like it was a joke for 4 years. I've been self-medicating since my separation from active duty in 1994 for lower back pain and migraines, there was no doubt in my mind MMJ was what I needed. Prescription pain killers worked initially, until I started having an allergic reaction which was mild at first but got progressively worse.

Delaware passed the medical marijuana act in 2011, but we didn't get a dispensary open until last year. We're supposed to have one in each of 3 counties, but it's taking forever. In the meantime, there's only the one dispensary and the selection is limited but slowly getting better. The key thing about getting a card is having a legal defense to have marijuana on you, to use it in privacy, as well as possession of paraphernalia- which would've been minimum mandatory crimes otherwise. Also, Delaware decriminalized possession of up to one ounce for non-medical MJ residents so the legal environment is slowly changing for the better.

I know some people think State's medical marijuana programs are just a clever disguise to legitimize getting high, but the truth is marijuana is medicine, has been for millennia- and for people like me, I'm glad it's available. One medicine is taking the place of what used to be several powerful prescriptions including antidepressants, sleep aids, and appetite enhancers not to mention anti-muscle spasm and pain meds. No side effects, no drug interaction precautions- I live in a better world for it with quality of life I wasn't going to get anywhere else.

If you're pursuing this avenue for pain relief and quality of life, good luck on your journey!

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

shinmai

CHK Instruction

Splatmaster posted:

States vary, the east coast states have greater restrictions and tighter controls than the ones you'd find out west. In Delaware, where I am- the requirements are tougher and there is an application process that includes a criminal background check and having a history clear of any drug offenses. Qualifying conditions are pretty restrictive, with chronic pain and terminal illness being some of the top contenders, and supporting proof of the condition(s) needs to be presented and clearly stated as well.

So if you have debilitating chronic pain, but have a DUI/DWI or say possession with intent to sell in your record, you won't get MMJ but instead will be prescribed opiates? Yeah, I see how that makes sense :confused:

On a side note, I've never quite understood the thing that U.S. seems to do a lot, where you get convicted of a crime, serve your sentence, but you're still labelled a "convicted felon" for life. Why even have prison sentences that aren't for life if you're going to ostracise people for their mistakes forever?

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

shinmai posted:

So if you have debilitating chronic pain, but have a DUI/DWI or say possession with intent to sell in your record, you won't get MMJ but instead will be prescribed opiates? Yeah, I see how that makes sense :confused:

On a side note, I've never quite understood the thing that U.S. seems to do a lot, where you get convicted of a crime, serve your sentence, but you're still labelled a "convicted felon" for life. Why even have prison sentences that aren't for life if you're going to ostracise people for their mistakes forever?

I don't think a DUI would preclude one from the program, and I'm not sure what crimes specifically prevent an applicant from being approved but I'm pretty sure it would have to be felony-level distribution convictions.

I agree with you about the stigma attached to a imprisoned felon being unfair, unfortunately I think you'd find that a common sentiment from many Americans would be "if you can't do the time don't do the crime" but that's under the assumption the whole criminal justice system is fair and balanced to begin with.

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit
I think it's criminal to smoke weed legally.

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit
The best thing about weed is that you get high while telling the man to go gently caress himself. They should have special weed jails where they arrest you if you have weed and then the cell unlocks if you can solve one of those toddler puzzles with the different shaped blocks.

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit
All of the cops in weed jail are total assholes, real anal retentive type-A rule-following jackwads...but the rules of weed jail are that if you say the magic word, they have to release you and jump up and down on their hats shaking their fists in impotent rage.

Piso Mojado

misty mountaintop posted:

The best thing about weed is that you get high while telling the man to go gently caress himself. They should have special weed jails where they arrest you if you have weed and then the cell unlocks if you can solve one of those toddler puzzles with the different shaped blocks.

lol

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit
Officer DeMan: Welcome to Weed Jail, you hippie freak. You're hosed now. You think you can just flaunt the laws of the great state of Rhode Island and get away with it? Well I've got news for you: our state flower is the violet, not the purp, and you're go indigo to jail for a long, long time, for like maybe twenty minutes but it'll seem super long to your baked rear end.

By law I have to read you your Marijuana Rights: You have the right to remain silent, but if you use the magic word, I am at your mercy. Anything you say may cause my mustache to twitch fiercely, indicating that you have scored a direct hit against fascist dipshits like me. You have the right to consult a four year old about which peg shape goes in which hole. If you cannot afford the services of a four year old, one will be provided to you free of charge.

Here's your locally sourced hemp jumpsuit and prison-issue bag of Funyuns.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

misty mountaintop posted:

Officer DeMan: Welcome to Weed Jail, you hippie freak. You're hosed now. You think you can just flaunt the laws of the great state of Rhode Island and get away with it? Well I've got news for you: our state flower is the violet, not the purp, and you're go indigo to jail for a long, long time, for like maybe twenty minutes but it'll seem super long to your baked rear end.

By law I have to read you your Marijuana Rights: You have the right to remain silent, but if you use the magic word, I am at your mercy. Anything you say may cause my mustache to twitch fiercely, indicating that you have scored a direct hit against fascist dipshits like me. You have the right to consult a four year old about which peg shape goes in which hole. If you cannot afford the services of a four year old, one will be provided to you free of charge.

Here's your locally sourced hemp jumpsuit and prison-issue bag of Funyuns.