Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Lastgirl posted:

i played a really good offensive symmetra on dorado until the final push.

I basically ran around and put turrets on medkit areas and put a teleporter right behind the enemy flank on the 2nd to last payload entrance near the bank vault hole at the far edge of the map and it suprised them so much that we ambushed them from behind and cleared them out and pushed an intractable defense.

She can work wonders on offense if you try to look to shut the enemy flanks and deny them medkit access, very important for the enemy's offense.

I got roadhog and mercy and lucio killed as a result of that and was able to supercharge my beam while they were running towards the medkit for reprieve.

Basically Symmie is good and cool on offense payload maps if you know where to deploy your sentries effectively

I really wanted to like Symmetra but I just never felt like I was helping out as much as I should. It also doesn't help that some people will see a Symmetra and act like her piddly little shield ability counts as a legitimate dedicated healer. I really applaud the people who stick with her and make her work, though, and I love a good Symmetra on the team.

Also, what does Symmetra's shield ability do? Give everyone a little bit of health regen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Theta Zero posted:

I really wanted to like Symmetra but I just never felt like I was helping out as much as I should. It also doesn't help that some people will see a Symmetra and act like her piddly little shield ability counts as a legitimate dedicated healer. I really applaud the people who stick with her and make her work, though, and I love a good Symmetra on the team.

Also, what does Symmetra's shield ability do? Give everyone a little bit of health regen?

Gives other players +25 shields which is rechargeable on its own if it's not all used up. Mash that E key.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Theta Zero posted:

They get 25 HP of shields on top of their normal health. This 25 HP, like all shields (the light blue portion of health bars like Symmetra, Zen, and Zarya have) regenerates after you spend a short time (3 seconds, I think?) not getting damaged. The shield stays until they die.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

It isn't just for "hardcore competitive types", it is just a game with pvp. You can't always win. The option is you learn and get better, or you don't. Is tf2 only for hardcore competitive types because you keep running at a sentry gun as a pyro? Things like battlefield because the other team is in tanks and no one is using any anti-tank things? Any game where you're fighting against players and the outcome isn't heavily based on luck is going to be this way.

The thing is what you need to overcome the situation isn't being hardcore, it is having more general game knowledge. When the other team plays a bunch of the same hero and you don't know how to handle that, the situation just snowballs.

So they have a bunch of bastions. How many? Match 1 widow+1-2 hanzos based on the number of bastions, grab a mercy or lucio, a damage like mccree/pharah, and a tank - maybe a winston. Wiston/mercy protect your sniper fleet from any flankers and mercy can damage boost snipers, if you don't break them by the time you build ults, pop all the sniper ults at once. Widow lets you see where they all are, hanzo ults go through walls and force them to move, lucio drops the speed boost and you just truck into them. If you wipe them leave 2 guys on the cart and everyone push up to the next checkpoint so you get that one without having to break the bastions again.

If you're in a pub this is a lot harder to coordinate, but the main strokes are pretty simple: couple snipers to maybe kill bastions or to use ults to kill/unsiege them, and a lucio speed boost to bumrush them with your damage guys. If your team won't coordinate/switch then your best bet is to switch to hanzo or pharah, and just shoulder peek spam at them. As long as some sort of healer is around you they will have to move or die, and just keep it up until your team breaks them, or doesn't. If you don't want to do either of those but are willing to play a harder class, try genji. Use double jump+wall climb+dash to approach them from a strange angle, then ninja star the giant glowing square on their back until they turn around and then slam the reflect key. Reflect bullets go where you're aiming.

Bonus genji play option with reinhardt: when they start spamming his shield to break it, hit reflect and run in front of the shield to blow someone up.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VodeAndreas posted:

Blizzard games will also run on a literal potato at minimum settings though so they have to plan around that rather than the 4k 144hz rigs.

That doesn't mean they don't care about technology. WoW supports MSAA in a deferred renderer, something that very, very few engines do. It's definitely something that took some time and effort for them to implement.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The anti-aliasing options in this game are pretty bad. Doom spoiled me with its TSSAA and sharpening. Hope Blizzard implements something like that eventually.

I solve these issues by having my vision get naturally worse with age.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 13:03 on May 28, 2016

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Dick Trauma posted:

My experiences are very topsy turvy where one match (win or lose) seems fun and then the next four are horrible slogs where my whole team basically gets contained to one spot and slaughtered. There's one map (looks like desert canyons) where we got trapped in the spawn by turrets and Bastions and we all just melted when we tried to break out. We tried to cheese it with multiple Reinhardts but got ulted over and over.

I think this game is for hardcore competitive level types only. There's no place for folks like me.

That Nevada-style map is really hard on one side, everytime I've loaded into that map as the side that has to break out, we get slaughtered even with a good composition. I think it might be a bit one-sided compared to the other maps. They're all 50-50 but that Nevada map is lopsided. That's how it feels anyway.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'm not someone that takes a higher road. Consider me complaining about my losing team in chat and someone taking exception to that, saying that I am the one that sucks. Consider me hunting down that person and winning almost every single 1v1 situation. Consider that person still rationalizing that situation as me sucking because they pressed Q as Genji and killed me once. I wasn't even giving HIM poo poo, ffs.

Also my fuckin' spacebar flew out in the middle of a game and in the rush to put it back in I stabbed my finger.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Dias posted:

Also my fuckin' spacebar flew out in the middle of a game and in the rush to put it back in I stabbed my finger.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > A Blizzard Subforum > Overwatch: Stabbed My Finger Because My Spacebar Flew Out

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Lastgirl posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > A Blizzard Subforum > Overwatch: Stabbed My Finger Because My Spacebar Flew Out

it really really hurt tho

Flew out is hyperbole but it did get out and then the little metal thing actually broke flesh when I tried to get in back in place. :smith:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The anti-aliasing options in this game are pretty bad. Doom spoiled me with its TSSAA and sharpening. Hope Blizzard implements something like that eventually.

You can force whatever AA options you want from Nvidia controller.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Thumbtacks posted:

posh, right? it's great

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

The white and gold one was my first buy but gold is such a rare resource that I can't buy her jumping emote now

i meant sporty and you both goddamn well knew it :mad:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Reading through the little comic vignette things and they're actually not drat bad. The Junkrat one is dark compared to the rest of the game's universe.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
25 boxes in and I got the safari winston and uh, the tracer punk costume

that's it folks

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
onl the flipside i have 900 gold now so i can buy my mechaqueen costume soon

itll probably drop shortly thereafter

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Ha. I was tooling around in training mode playing the handful characters I haven't touched yet and testing ranges of my usual characters and it will boot you out for playing in it too long. :lol:

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
Unlocked the Sigrun Mercy skin last night. I've never played any Mercy so I decided to go for POTG with her all night and :stare: Mercy is balls-to-the-walls good. Also, with the alt-audio from the skin she yells "UNTIL VALHALLA" when you revive your team :black101:

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cage Kicker posted:

Unlocked the Sigrun Mercy skin last night. I've never played any Mercy so I decided to go for POTG with her all night and :stare: Mercy is balls-to-the-walls good. Also, with the alt-audio from the skin she yells "UNTIL VALHALLA" when you revive your team :black101:

I hate that voice clip. Valhalla's a place, Blizzard. It should be UNTIL RAGNAROK

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Nerses IV posted:

I hate that voice clip. Valhalla's a place, Blizzard. It should be UNTIL RAGNAROK

I assume they mean until one reaches Valhalla.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Devil Mercy skin is the best

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Looke posted:

Devil Mercy skin is the best

I like the gold one the best tbh

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kanfy posted:

I assume they mean until one reaches Valhalla.

I just checked the voice clip and she's actually saying "TILL VALHALLA," which means "to Valhalla" and is a pretty popular battle cry. Fair enough.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
I have lost much sleep playing this game

Best moment? When as Tracer I was on a streak, and killed Reaper close up, and she said in this great mocking tone "DEAAAATH COOOMMMES"

edit: haha - someone else loves it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knD6CqI3t04 wonderful

P sure Bliz also thinks Reaper is the grimdark kids choice

edit edit: also playing w goons is fun even when losing everyone should do it

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

hhhat posted:

I have lost much sleep playing this game

Best moment? When as Tracer I was on a streak, and killed Reaper close up, and she said in this great mocking tone "DEAAAATH COOOMMMES"

edit: haha - someone else loves it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knD6CqI3t04 wonderful
ahahaha tracer owns so hard

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
So I learned the best use of Molten Core might actually be getting point blank against people and using the alt-fire and the attack speed boost to beat the poo poo out of people

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
I love how you can turn around matches where you are behind 0-94 % and with some clutch plays you win in overtime by switching classes and completely countering the enemies - until than - domination.
I began playing Mercy, and the influence you have even on...meh to average pub teams is so rewarding.

agent_wildflower
Sep 7, 2011

Mr.PayDay posted:

I love how you can turn around matches where you are behind 0-94 % and with some clutch plays you win in overtime by switching classes and completely countering the enemies - until than - domination.
I began playing Mercy, and the influence you have even on...meh to average pub teams is so rewarding.

I usually don't play a healer but I have been for pug teams and it's the most fun I've had as a healer in a PvP game.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Dick Trauma posted:

I think this game is for hardcore competitive level types only. There's no place for folks like me.

It's "for hardcore competitive level types" only in the sense that it's a PVP game.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Got dropped back into that same drat desert map partway through a match with the same result. Couldn't get out of the spawn. The front doors were one long explosion. Because of the quitter penalty I stayed for the whole thing and it gave me a chance to go through different characters to see how they might counter the situation. None were fast enough or tough enough to get out of the deathzone, but with the gorilla I did manage to get almost to the turret in the top railcar.

I switched to Junkrat thinking I might be able to mine-jump to the turret, die on it and then kill it with the grenades that I'd leave behind but I got melted.

Is there a way to set a map preference? There are a couple that seem like guaranteed losers and I'd like to avoid them.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

Is there a way to set a map preference? There are a couple that seem like guaranteed losers and I'd like to avoid them.

Nope, you better get used to dying over and over on Hanamura and Temple of Anubis :thumbsup:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Mr.PayDay posted:

people also don't really start worrying about the objective until time is running out

my strategy lately if my group sucks is to play pharah for the first 80% of the match, during which time your reinhardts are too busy trying to get sick solo kills to protect their supports, and then switch to mercy/lucio as overtime approaches and everyone gets serious

surprisingly effective

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

agent_wildflower posted:

I usually don't play a healer but I have been for pug teams and it's the most fun I've had as a healer in a PvP game.

Same here! Every support class is as important and as much FUN as the "dmg" classes. I thought I would like 5-6 of the Heroes and stick to them. But Blizzard to managed to balance and design them so amazingly that I wanna play them all, so my real life and sleep take some serious hits lol.
I claim many OW Goons feel the same.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Mr.PayDay posted:

This is why I main mercy. Just having a somewhat decent dedicated healer can really boost sub-par pugs.

I had a play yesterday where we were pushing payload and pharah got the drop on the rest of the team, until I ressed them all and ended up winning.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
Meant to post in the whine thread.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Pumpy Dumper posted:

This is why I main mercy. Just having a somewhat decent dedicated healer can really boost sub-par pugs.

I had a play yesterday where we were pushing payload and pharah got the drop on the rest of the team, until I ressed them all and ended up winning.

Lucio seems to have a pretty big effect too, although less directly.

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance
Rapidly starting to believe that the reason I haven't won a game yet as anything other than Lucio or Mercy is because I suck so hard at shooting that I infect my team with my badness.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

hyphz posted:

Lucio seems to have a pretty big effect too, although less directly.

lucio is good for his speed boost and slight healing. but nothing beats a dedicated healer

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Steve2911 posted:

Reading through the little comic vignette things and they're actually not drat bad. The Junkrat one is dark compared to the rest of the game's universe.

I was browsing the characters on the main site and skimming the little blurbs about their backgrounds, which were typically fun light fluff that you'd expect from the aesthetic. Until I got to Widowmaker who was brainwashed and murdered her husband in his sleep.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Pumpy Dumper posted:

slight healing

i dunno if i would call 40hps on an entire team whenever he hits E as "slight"

so far every time i've played mercy the enemy lucio outheals me and i don't get a card at the end

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I have newfound respect for Tracer, she's so hard to use. I figured it was time I gave her a try, and I'm so bad that fights are basically 5v6.

First of all:
- Tracking. Her range is so short that you need to get up in people's grills, but at that range I just can't hit anything.. and even when I do..
- ..a full magazine isn't enough to kill people, so I end up getting killed while reloading.

I assume the idea is to sneak up on someone, unload, blink away to confuse them and unload again.. but I confuse myself more than the enemy by blinking :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

You just need to get used to her. You pick out the weakest, most important people on their team like Mercy/Zenyatta/Lucio/Widow/Junkrat and destroy them. Try to anticipate what the other guys are going to do and be on the other side of them or, if you know they're gonna mess you up for going in, have your e ready. Just steer clear of a decent McCree or Roadhog because either one will wreck you.