Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

If you co-op a lot, you will see this happen fairly often, along with host stuck in t-pose and nothing showing any animations. DS3 netcode is really bad, though something similar could happen in DS2, where you would get ported back to your world when the host challenged the boss with the message "Worldmaster have left the area, returning to your world"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Man, putting a sunbro sign down at the start of the Cathedral of the Deep zone was a poor decision. What a long goddamn zone to never rest at a bonfire and only have half Estus for. Especially because if you happen to die as the phantom before the boss you get dick all for it.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Smol posted:

You mean you didn't see Siegward at all at the Cathedral, but he still showed up at Irithyll?

But Siegward hasn't spawned in the well either.

He will once you open all the cathederal shortcut doors, as long as you don't kill the Deacons.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Happy Hedonist posted:

I have a few stupid questions regarding Aldrich faithful summoning, I'm getting frustrated. I'm just a few dregs away from getting the sorcery, which is the last one I need. All of a sudden I'm unable to be summoned. I get the "Can't invade failed to join session" error. I just started a ng+ when my power went out for a moment while I was playing. The next day is when I started getting the error messages. So my question is, do I need to be near anor londo to be summoned? I'm currently in crucifixion forest, I just killed the sage before leaving for the weekend. I've read a hard reboot may fix the problem so I powered my ps4 down for the weekend while I'm away in hopes of that fixing the problem.

I've played through the drat game with 3 characters and am in the midst of ng+ with 2 of them so I can do covenant stuff since I ignored them until now. If I can't find a fix, I'm stuck with just invading as a dark spirit if I want to pvp, which sucks.

Has anyone else ran into this poo poo?

Just grind the robed dudes from the Aldrich bonfire, droprates are more than fine.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

MrLonghair posted:

Just grind the robed dudes from the Aldrich bonfire, droprates are more than fine.

I was actually having fun doing Aldrich invasions though. I hope they fix this poo poo eventually.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

RyokoTK posted:

Man, putting a sunbro sign down at the start of the Cathedral of the Deep zone was a poor decision. What a long goddamn zone to never rest at a bonfire and only have half Estus for. Especially because if you happen to die as the phantom before the boss you get dick all for it.

Yeah with the longer, short-cut based zones the game could really use the short-summon sign from DS2. Or invent something new - just anything that gives a coop spirit a benefit for helping you through a zone instead of putting the only reward on the boss.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

RyokoTK posted:

always put summon signs after the shortcut doors.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
So is there a quick guide somewhere to Chimes/Staves as far as "use this up to this Faith/int, otherwise use this" like there was for DS1?

Gonna try a Faith build and need to know the Chime to use for 50 or 60 Faith.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UI0CLBemspI

Did Bamco's marketing team take crack or something?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
It was an April Fool's joke. It is also awesome.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

HaB posted:

So is there a quick guide somewhere to Chimes/Staves as far as "use this up to this Faith/int, otherwise use this" like there was for DS1?

Gonna try a Faith build and need to know the Chime to use for 50 or 60 Faith.

The hands-down best chime as far as pure damage goes once you're over 49 FTH is Yorshka's Chime, which is dropped from Company Captain Yorshka (yes, you do have to kill her; there's no other way to get it).

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

To absolutely no ones surprise it turns out poise doesn't affect rolling iframes.

https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4ld6yc/partially_disproving_the_current_prevailing/

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I've built a pure pyromancer for NG+

SL 100, 40/40 int/fth

pyromancy flame +10, white hair talisman +10

great swamp ring, witch's ring, fire clutch ring, sage's ring

8 estus, 7 ashen estus

great chaos fireball and a rotation of chaos bed vestiges, chaos storm, and boulder heave, sometimes utility sorceries or dark pyros to mix things up

anything I'm missing? any pvp- or pve-specific changes I should make or know about?

I did a NG++ pyromancer completionist run and i'd do couple of things different for PVE:
- 11 estus, 4 ashen estus have been more than enough for the whole game
- You can cheese the whole PVE content with Great Chaos Fireball and Hidden Body. The only other use I found was chaos bed vestiges sometimes, like nuking lothric princes.
- You can use black fire orb (?) to fight the obvious fire bosses like Old Demon King
- Have some sort of backup weapon, straight swords work well. Make it Chaos or Dark. I used Dark Broadsword +10, dark is good for having another element for damage.
- 30 faith 30 int is plenty enough for damage, I'd take some more vigor or endurance instead.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Kild posted:

To absolutely no ones surprise it turns out poise doesn't affect rolling iframes.

https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4ld6yc/partially_disproving_the_current_prevailing/

What a surprise, it turns out when you find a hard value in memory and track that you get more accurate results than some dude trying to count frames off of video capture software. :v:

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Haha, I like how no one on reddit gets why FROM aren't fessing up to it. Uh, maybe because they are a Japanese company and are saving face.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Blacktoll posted:

Haha, I like how no one on reddit gets why FROM aren't fessing up to it. Uh, maybe because they are a Japanese company and are saving face.

Or maybe because they don't need to respond to poise as that's about people who already bought your game. Better to just keep working on making great dlc content.

From a business standpoint there's no reason they should even discuss poise.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I think you will find that everything in Dark Souls 3 is working as intended.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Blacktoll posted:

It's not like we haven't got the exact same response from the same developer about a bug in a previous game of the same series already. Durability in DS2 PC was also "working as intended". We know they say that when there's a clear bug they're too embarrassed to admit to. I can't fathom people who just blindly think there's a magic hidden feature related to poise because "From said so" - why would someone trust the word of a dev above their own experience.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 28, 2016

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

it's also hopefully a sign that they recognize the problem and will fix it at a later date... eventually...

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

SciFiDownBeat posted:

it's also hopefully a sign that they recognize the problem and will fix it at a later date... eventually...

Just in time for the Lords of cinders edition on ps5!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ineffiable posted:

Just in time for the Lords of cinders edition on ps5!

They didnt take out SM for SotFS.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
they fixed it by giving us a ring that made the whole sm system pointless.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Blacktoll posted:

The more likely explanation is that Poise does work as intended. As in, it is literally meant to do nothing. Even if it's just a last minute attempt to prevent havel monsters.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

WaltherFeng posted:

The more likely explanation is that Poise does work as intended. As in, it is literally meant to do nothing. Even if it's just a last minute attempt to prevent havel monsters.

Or you know it's more likely that the company that have lied about bugs in the past are lying again

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
the Dancer sure is interesting to co-op on. 85%~ of fights go completely okay, then the other 15% are ridiculous lag messes where she spins around like a death blender. A++ would die to again.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

The best part about coop is when the connection is so bad that you are literally invincible because the Boss doesn't animate attacks but still has a hurtbox. Not entirely sure why being a phantom is "if you don't see the attack it can't hurt you".

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Rigged Death Trap posted:

They didnt take out SM for SotFS.

They also 'fixed' durability with that release too.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Iretep posted:

they fixed it by giving us a ring that made the whole sm system pointless.

For a certain, laboured definition of fixed yeah sure. The agape ring is the most clunky rear end covering change they could have done.
Hell all they had to do is change the matchmaking, its would have been the easiest thing. Just like they can remove prioritizing lower account age/ higher account id / whatever from DS3.
Certainly easier than a lighting remap and designing new encounters.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 28, 2016

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Ineffiable posted:

This is a really wrong and bizarre attitude for a person who buys things to have. A product being dysfunctional can cost a company future sales. Obviously most people didn't skip out on the Dark Souls 2 DLC and SOTFS Edition over the durability bullshit and things like Soul Memory, but I'm sure at least a few people did, and I'm sure the cost to roll out a patch that halves all current poise values and flicks on the switch that enables DkS1 poise wouldn't be staggering.

Note: I'm not even saying I give a poo poo about the poise stuff. I just don't get why you think it's smart business to basically ignore a huge segment of your player base complaining about something rather than making a token effort to change it (the real reason they haven't is probably that they're afraid of loving something else up or that they'll "do it wrong" and people will complain about that) or attempting to explain logically the design reason behind "it's working as intended".

Baku fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 28, 2016

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ineffiable posted:

Or maybe because they don't need to respond to poise as that's about people who already bought your game. Better to just keep working on making great dlc content.

Yeah, no. They have all the motivation they need: its called PR.
No one likes it when a dev doesnt explain themselves and hide behind flimsy excuses or explanations for a mistake, percieved or not. A little honesty goes a long way, just mention the design decision behind it and even if people disagree it would still be a mark in your favor.

[E] ah crap im being inconsistent
While i dont like how the agape ring was implemented: I still appreciate it.
(Unless there was some press release where they were like " yeah nothing wrong with SM but here a fix for you whiners")

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 28, 2016

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
There is always some weirdo who only can think in terms of a gently caress you got mine short term salesperson.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I'm just imagining Japanese executives sitting around a conference table and cackling about how they purposely misled players about Poise to achieve their nefarious purposes.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I hope they patch poise to lower your max HP :unsmigghh:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The "poise was turned off at the last second" story seems the most likely to me, because the game is unfinished in a number of ways and all the vestigial(?) stuff affecting poise as well as major inconsistency in how it works (exists for enemies, but not for players, unless certain random buffs are active) along with the balance problems it introduces all implies it was something from believed they had to turn off, without having time to clean up after themselves.

Some people have suggested that from doesn't even realize it's screwed up, but I can't imagine how they could have tested their game at all without noticing "huh, absolutely anything and everything is staggering me no matter what I'm wearing." Unless the problem just never stood out because they evidently only tested the game with straight swords.

Whatever it actually does, if anything, they have been absolutely poo poo at communicating with their fanbase about it. This just is not how you do PR.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

Digirat posted:

Whatever it actually does, if anything, they have been absolutely poo poo at communicating with their fanbase about it. This just is not how you do PR.

Didn't they actually come out and say it was working fine, or was more subtle in this game, or was it some other non-answer

edit: Have they ever come out and explained why some rings don't give the full benefit in pvp vs pve? Like the ring of steel protection only gives 3 or 4% of it's regular bonus in pvp

Salean fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 28, 2016

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I explored Farron Keep and now have no idea where to go next and the game isn't telling me.

I like not knowing where to go and having to figure it out for my loving self. I had a few bosses that I'd left in favour of exploring. I just went back and killed those bosses and they didn't yield any info on how to proceed, so I'm still in the dark. I LOVE THAT FACT!

I will now spend the next hour or so of game-time visiting every bonfire I ever saw to try to figure out where the next place is. This is fun. If you happen to be a game developer and you are reading this: Take. loving. Note.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Salean posted:

edit: Have they ever come out and explained why some rings don't give the full benefit in pvp vs pve? Like the ring of steel protection only gives 3 or 4% of it's regular bonus in pvp

No, but it's most likely to prevent a DS2 situation where you can make yourself invincible by stacking defense and defense buffs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4idpR-Ggp8

That said the way it's implemented here is pretty dumb. Yes, let's halve the boost the clutch rings give while also increasing their defense reduction by 50%, that's well-balanced. *proceeds to buff straight swords*

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Salean posted:

Didn't they actually come out and say it was working fine, or was more subtle in this game, or was it some other non-answer

All of the above, the statement we got from namco was that it's working as intended, it's just more "situational" now.

That's all they said. As for what it actually does? haha get hosed.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Kild posted:

You could also tell by watching the guy's video and seeing him fast forward a couple frames, marking that as frame 0, then when he got to the end of the roll going back a couple frames and calling that frame whatever.

Also, even if he HAD found something real without doctoring it, he invalidated his entire thing by changing equip weight. I could make a video of me showing that equip weight directly correlates to damage using his exact same methodology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

You know I actually quute like the PVP/PVE calculation split.
It makes them able to affect one without ruining the other.