Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I had no idea Earthbound and Lunar had something like that.

I know of games that do it in a small area (e.g. Chrono Trigger) but didn't realize there were other games where you can walk around the different towns and be congratulated for winning. Cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

thorsilver posted:

The 3DS version of VII is pretty much a different (massively improved) game compared to the PS1 version, so please don't tell people not to play it based on the PS1 experience. We need as many people as possible to buy DQ7 :(

We need as many people as possible to buy DQ8!

Also of the changes I've seen, restricting some skills to the class that learns them and streamlining the Ancient Fane sound like bad ideas imo. I know people complain that it takes too long to get into a fight but that first dungeon is one of the few good ones in the game

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Anyone played the dq8 3ds remake? I know they made over world monsters visible and added two characters, but overall is the game improved and what else is new?

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

They were selling these at the Square Enix cafe earlier, thought you folks would get a kick out of it. You get to keep the cup.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
That cup is awesome. Where is there a Square Enix cafe?

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Overemotional Robot posted:

That cup is awesome. Where is there a Square Enix cafe?

It's in Tokyo, it looks like a giant egg. It's right by one of their corporate offices. While I was there a group of what I think were developers were going over some Dragon Quest design documents.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

I'm getting jealous. The metal figurines were bad enough, but I legit want that cup :negative:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Azubah posted:

They were selling these at the Square Enix cafe earlier, thought you folks would get a kick out of it. You get to keep the cup.

that slime is crying

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Looper posted:

that slime is crying

wouldn't you, in that situation

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
To be presented in the most delicious manner. I would weep.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Luceo posted:

My wife bought me these two little friends from eBay. Now if only I could keep them from running away...

:3:

Also I'm pretty sure I've posted this before but it bears repeating:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txFoaxURoV4

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Ofecks posted:

:3:

Also I'm pretty sure I've posted this before but it bears repeating:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txFoaxURoV4

I knew what that was before clicking it :3:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I'm playing the translated Super Famicom version of DQII for the first time, and I would appreciate some advice from anyone who's played it before. I played DW2 on the NES for the first time a few years ago, and it mostly just pissed me off. Having heard that this version and the virtually identical (barring graphics) GBC version were better balanced and less punitive, I wanted to give it a go.

I just hit the part of the game where you get the Golden Key and the Jail Key, which opens up basically everything until you get all 5 crests and head to Rhone. So, I've been running about and getting some of the excellent gear that can now be had. However, this version of the game lacks the exploit that allows you to have made two Water Flying Cloth, and it also lacks the exploit where you can continually form the Thunder Staff to sell for huge piles of cash. Much of the end game gear needs to be purchased, so does anyone know a good spot to cash farm? The main character is level 21, and I still have about 130k worth of purchases to buy even if I don't buy another Fur Cloak for the main character to tide him over until he gets the best armour in Rhone.

Secondly... there is an item in the game called the Magic Helmet, which is the only headgear that the prince and princess can wear. It offers relatively little protection but it reduces the MP cost of spells cast in combat by 25%, which is very useful. I'm given to know that in the SFC/GBC versions there is one helmet in the infamous Cave to Rhone, but I would like to get another one for the other caster in the group and it apparently drops, very rarely, from some late-game mobs. However, I've read online that you can only have one in a specific game. Firstly, does anyone know if this is true? Secondly, if it isn't, where is a good place to find the mobs that might drop it? Anything that conserves or replenishes MP (I've been hoarding Wizard Rings all game) is very useful, especially in the Cave to Rhone and the final castle.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

JustJeff88 posted:

does anyone know a good spot to cash farm? The main character is level 21, and I still have about 130k worth of purchases to buy even if I don't buy another Fur Cloak for the main character to tide him over until he gets the best armour in Rhone.

Pretty sure the Fur Cloak/Mink Coat is a waste of money in both the original and remakes, especially for the Hero. You can get the Armor of Gaia for free and it offers more DEF, and Cannock can (and should) wear Magic Armor. That said, in the original game, Metal Babbles and Gold Orcs dropped the most money (255). Metal Babbles are too rare to farm (and too hard to kill in the remakes), but Gold Orcs appear near Beran, Tuhn, Wellgarth, Tower of the Moon, and Sea Cave. Not sure about frequency for any of those.

I also seem to recall the ocean and their swarms of sea slugs and manowars to be good, easy income (as long as you have Dragon's Banes to help resist the sleep attacks). Sea slugs are worth 80 (!) Gold each, Manowars 50. This might actually be faster than farming Gold Orcs.

quote:

Secondly... there is an item in the game called the Magic Helmet, which is the only headgear that the prince and princess can wear. It offers relatively little protection but it reduces the MP cost of spells cast in combat by 25%, which is very useful. I'm given to know that in the SFC/GBC versions there is one helmet in the infamous Cave to Rhone, but I would like to get another one for the other caster in the group and it apparently drops, very rarely, from some late-game mobs. However, I've read online that you can only have one in a specific game. Firstly, does anyone know if this is true?

A.K.A "Mysterious Hat" and "Mad Cap", depending on which version of the game you're playing. Magic Helmet is probably a GBC thing, where they had less characters to work with so they used icons for everything.

Re: one per game - that might be true, but only in the original version. There was a bug that prevented you from getting a 2nd equipment drop from monsters if you already had the item in your inventory. The chest would just contain gold. I would imagine that bug does not exist in any of the remakes. The mobs that drop the Hat are Magic Vampirus and the 2nd Hargon boss Bazuzu.

quote:

Secondly, if it isn't, where is a good place to find the mobs that might drop it? Anything that conserves or replenishes MP (I've been hoarding Wizard Rings all game) is very useful, especially in the Cave to Rhone and the final castle.

AFAIK, Magic Vampiruses can only be found in the Cave to Rhone, on the upper floors towards the end.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Ofecks posted:

Pretty sure the Fur Cloak/Mink Coat is a waste of money in both the original and remakes, especially for the Hero. You can get the Armor of Gaia for free and it offers more DEF, and Cannock can (and should) wear Magic Armor. That said, in the original game, Metal Babbles and Gold Orcs dropped the most money (255). Metal Babbles are too rare to farm (and too hard to kill in the remakes), but Gold Orcs appear near Beran, Tuhn, Wellgarth, Tower of the Moon, and Sea Cave. Not sure about frequency for any of those.

I also seem to recall the ocean and their swarms of sea slugs and manowars to be good, easy income (as long as you have Dragon's Banes to help resist the sleep attacks). Sea slugs are worth 80 (!) Gold each, Manowars 50. This might actually be faster than farming Gold Orcs.

A.K.A "Mysterious Hat" and "Mad Cap", depending on which version of the game you're playing. Magic Helmet is probably a GBC thing, where they had less characters to work with so they used icons for everything.

Re: one per game - that might be true, but only in the original version. There was a bug that prevented you from getting a 2nd equipment drop from monsters if you already had the item in your inventory. The chest would just contain gold. I would imagine that bug does not exist in any of the remakes. The mobs that drop the Hat are Magic Vampirus and the 2nd Hargon boss Bazuzu.

AFAIK, Magic Vampiruses can only be found in the Cave to Rhone, on the upper floors towards the end.

The Fur Cloak actually has 60 defence in the remakes compared to 35 on the Magic Armour and 47 on the Gaia Armour. I can't see myself bothering with one for the hero because he gets the Armour of Erdrick (75) in the Cave to Rhone, but it's the best armour for the prince since you can only get one Water Flying Cloth in this game, and I want to keep that on the princess. I still want to get two Light Swords (it's the best weapon for the prince and will tide over the main character until he gets the Thunder Sword) and a Shield of Strength for each character, for the free healing. The prince has one already because it's his best shield option, but I still want one for the other two.

Thank you for the advice, in any event... I noticed that sea mobs seem to come in large groups and drop quite a bit of cash. The prince just got his nuke that hits everything, but those slugs resist a lot. If I ever get the cash, I might try getting a Falcon Sword for both martial characters and see if I can have any luck farming Metal Babbles.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

JustJeff88 posted:

The Fur Cloak actually has 60 defence in the remakes compared to 35 on the Magic Armour and 47 on the Gaia Armour.

The thing is that the Magic Armor reduces all magic damage by half, straight up. It's really good despite the defense difference.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Hey, looks like enix is selling coins!

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

JustJeff88 posted:

The Fur Cloak actually has 60 defence in the remakes compared to 35 on the Magic Armour and 47 on the Gaia Armour.

Oh, well that's interesting. Still, Gaia is free and having half magic damage on Cannock is amazing during endgame since almost everything casts Explodet. 65k is just way too much. You'll be high enough lvl for Cave To Rhone before you grind that out.

Did you try the Staff of Thunder on the ocean mobs? I want to say they resist it less, but it's been a while so I'm not sure.

I wish SE would put the mobile ports on Steam. Guess DQH + the FF ports need to sell before that'll happen though.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Ofecks posted:

I just wanted to come back and quote this for veracity. I was playing DQ2 on the Retron and I was going through the Cave to Rhone, which is not nearly as punitive in the SFC version. I was on my way to get the Thunder Sword (as it is called in the GBC compilation) and had already gotten the one Magic Hat that you can find in a chest when I got into a fight with two Magic Vampiruses and one other mob. After a round or two there was one MV left, so I did a save state at the start of the round and killed the same one over and over. I knew that in DQ games only the last mob killed can drop an item, but I wasn't sure if the likelihood of a drop was determined at the start of a battle or not. Given the nature of the loot system, though, I presumed that the chance of treasure was checked after the last mob died. I kept reloading the save state and I noticed that the combat outcomes would change every time, which was encouraging as it proved that the RNG seed was changing. Sure enough, after about 15 minutes or so and just a few dozen loaded states, he dropped another Magic Hat. So, I learned something and both of my casters have silly hats that reduce MP consumption.

SlimeSanction
Oct 21, 2008

Azubah posted:

Would you be willing to part with the cup for monetary compensation? I collect Slime merchandise.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

these are really cute.

SlimeSanction posted:

Would you be willing to part with the cup for monetary compensation? I collect Slime merchandise.

name + post combo

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
RPG Limit Break is doing a charity marathon event and they just started playing the translated SNES rom of DQ3, for anyone interested.

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf

Oh man, HLJ has those metal figurines. Time to place a huge order!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's really refreshing to see a publisher selling actual physical coins instead of shady digital ones for F2P games.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

DQ Builders is coming out in the States for both the PS4 and Vita.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Skeezy posted:

I wonder if there is any chance of a Steam port? I'll absolutely buy it for PS4 otherwise.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Nemo2342 posted:

I wonder if there is any chance of a Steam port? I'll absolutely buy it for PS4 otherwise.

DQ Heroes came out on Steam within a few months of its PS4 release, with extremely little foreshadowing. Just hold off for a while and see what happens.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Skeezy posted:

Have they said when that is going to happen? I'm really looking forward to that game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

MarcusSA posted:

Have they said when that is going to happen? I'm really looking forward to that game.

oct

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Awesome that will be the only Vita game I buy this year.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
https://store.na.square-enix.com/product/301322/dragon-quest-heroes-slime-edition-pc-download
Steam version back on sale for 50% off through their SE store.

wane tendo
Mar 19, 2005

Buglord
i've been playing DQ8 this past week and it's been a ton of fun. the world looks so lovingly crafted and detailed, it's a treat to explore. it's gorgeous, and though i never thought i'd say this about a video game - the voice acting is actually good and worth listening to. recipe system is neat, i haven't GameFAQ'd anything, and i don't really want to, so i hope i find some more recipes for weapons and armor. i keep trying out different poo poo and my best item so far is a bunny ears hat...

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

carrion kit posted:

i've been playing DQ8 this past week and it's been a ton of fun. the world looks so lovingly crafted and detailed, it's a treat to explore. it's gorgeous, and though i never thought i'd say this about a video game - the voice acting is actually good and worth listening to. recipe system is neat, i haven't GameFAQ'd anything, and i don't really want to, so i hope i find some more recipes for weapons and armor. i keep trying out different poo poo and my best item so far is a bunny ears hat...

Clunky as Dragon Quest games always are (and very grind-heavy that one, particularly the mid and late-game), DQ8 has to rank among the best RPGs of its console generation and one of the best ever made. At the time of its release the world felt big and sprawling while never losing that sort of dreamy, enchanting feeling that makes Dragon Quest so soporific. It's got a lot of character and heart too, and I thought the story felt rather different than the standard RPG fare, even if it was really just a collection of tropes and cliches I'd seen a dozen times over.

I also love how simple, but tactical and engaging its character development system was. It has great replayability because of that.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

DQVIII is drat classic for sure.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

SlimeSanction posted:

Sorry friend, I too collect silly DQ items.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

carrion kit posted:

I felt the exact same way about the world when I played DQ8. It was beautiful to explore, and the random knick-knacks you could find were more like a pleasant optional surprise than anything tedious.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'd like a Dragon Quest themed coffee mug. I'd be willing to spend more than ten dollars for it, but less than twenty.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

google spat out this
https://society6.com/product/dragon-quest-slime-monogram_mug#27=199

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I've been saving my itch to play DQVIII again for the 3DS version. Hopefully it comes out this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Huh that's not half bad actually.