Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Get the mobile version of DQ4 since it's mostly the same as thr DS version except they translated the Party Chat this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

1 and 2 are the only ones that should be skipped I feel, everything from 3 onward ranges from great to decent.

And heck even then 1 isn't bad or anything but at this point in time it's only worth playing for the historical value

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
The mobile version of 2 is generally fine and way better than previous incarnations due largely to a proper teleportation system and the ability to save anywhere. It's perfectly playable and not bad.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Srice posted:

1 and 2 are the only ones that should be skipped I feel, everything from 3 onward ranges from great to decent.

And heck even then 1 isn't bad or anything but at this point in time it's only worth playing for the historical value

It's really hard for me to play NES/Famicom RPGs unless I have a emulator with speed up and save states, because if in checking one out its usually for curiosities sake, like you said. Like a history lesson.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
If anyone's been waiting for Dragon Quest Heroes to go on sale on. It's half off as part of the SE Store spring sale.

https://store.na.square-enix.com/product/301322/dragon-quest-heroes-slime-edition-pc-download Steam
https://store.na.square-enix.com/product/282618/dragon-quest-heroes-the-world-trees-woe-and-the-blight-below-day-one-edition-ps4 PS4

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Thanks for that.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

YESSSS just purchased.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Scalding Coffee posted:

Thanks for that.

Square should have said in the system requirements tab that it requires Steam, but the boxart in the top left hand corner has the Steam logo and as far as I know, Square don't have their own distribution platform so it's most likely a Steam key you'll get.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Square should have said in the system requirements tab that it requires Steam, but the boxart in the top left hand corner has the Steam logo and as far as I know, Square don't have their own distribution platform so it's most likely a Steam key you'll get.

I can confirm that you do get a steam key upon purchase.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
DQHeroes is good and fun. The only big downside is a lack of co-op because 4 person co-op needs to be in all Musou games.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I've been playing through DQ7 (on PS1) because I'm a masochist and determined to finish it so I can throw out examples when I call it garbage so here have a fresh one

-my strongest party member (Maribel) just left the party with zero warning, but it's okay because here's a random new girl to replace her. She starts with Dancer mastered and a few ranks in Warrior, which sucks (although miles better than the legendary hero not having a class at all) but I figured it was supposed to be an organic way of teaching you about how to learn cross-class skills like Sword Dance. But it's not, so you have to grind more for her to learn it because ???

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
My DQ7 PS1 story is that I got 30 hours in then got stuck on Glacos and quit in the import version. Then I got the US version when that came out and got 30 hours in and got stuck on Glacos and quit again. :v:

I'm actually pretty excited to play a refined version of the game when the 3DS version comes out in English. I'd like to see it through to the end.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I dumped hundreds of hours into 7 until I couldn't find any more map pieces and gave up

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Dragon Quest 7 is good and cool.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I played 7 at the height of my teenage RPG phase and put about seventy hours in and then one day just never played it again because I got burned out.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

My wife bought me these two little friends from eBay. Now if only I could keep them from running away...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Luceo posted:

My wife bought me these two little friends from eBay. Now if only I could keep them from running away...

Incredible!

Vinchenz
Jul 13, 2012

But trust me, I know that I'm the worst bastard here.

Looper posted:

I've been playing through DQ7 (on PS1) because I'm a masochist and determined to finish it so I can throw out examples when I call it garbage so here have a fresh one
actually dragon quest 7 is good (and the 3DS version is even better!)

Luceo posted:

I need these.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Luceo posted:

This is really cool

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Vinchenz posted:

actually dragon quest 7 is good (and the 3DS version is even better!)

Though admittedly this isn't necessarily the case, Maribel is probably your primary spellcaster and as such is best equipped for fighting multiple enemies. Aira is a warrior who has no multi-target abilities. I think putting an extremely powerful boss who calls in tons of flunkies (and are all immune to one of the best group target elements for non-casters) in the area immediately after losing Maribel and gaining Aira is a bad design decision. I think losing Maribel with zero forewarning is a dumb design decision. I think not letting you access the weapon and armor shops once the wind stops is a silly design decision. And I think making you go through the same two dungeons twice is a tedious design decision

those metal slimes are real dang cute tho

e: I lied Aira does have a couple of lousy group target abilities

Looper fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 2, 2016

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I genuinely think Dragon Quest 1 is still a good game. 2 is okay, I think it suffers from being a little too open at the end though. It got to the point near the end where there were too many places at once to look for clues to a specific area and so I just gave up.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Luceo posted:

That is super awesome. I have a similarly shiny metal king slime and a vinyl liquid metal but I need these versions.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Nickoten posted:

I genuinely think Dragon Quest 1 is still a good game. 2 is okay, I think it suffers from being a little too open at the end though. It got to the point near the end where there were too many places at once to look for clues to a specific area and so I just gave up.

I think the length is what really keeps DQ1 an interesting experience. It's short enough that you can see what the appeal was back when it came out and the very limited options don't overstay their welcome. Especially if you're playing with a speed-up option handy.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Srice posted:

I think the length is what really keeps DQ1 an interesting experience. It's short enough that you can see what the appeal was back when it came out and the very limited options don't overstay their welcome. Especially if you're playing with a speed-up option handy.

I would like a rebalanced version which required zero grinding, and sometimes I've thought that the game is simple enough that that's something I could do on my own some time as a fun project.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

In Training posted:

I would like a rebalanced version which required zero grinding, and sometimes I've thought that the game is simple enough that that's something I could do on my own some time as a fun project.

That would be cool. I know someone made a Dragon Quest randomizer romhack so something like that should be a cakewalk in comparison.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Luceo posted:

My brother is big into those things. There are a ton of other shiny DQ monsters available too, like dragons and necrosaro. The metal slime dudes are the best though.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Crimson Harvest posted:

That is super awesome. I have a similarly shiny metal king slime and a vinyl liquid metal but I need these versions.

If there's a matching king metal I might have to get one.

I finished the story of DQ Heroes. Is the post-game stuff worth playing, or is it grindfest super-hard bosses?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

In Training posted:

The remakes (at least the GBC one) aren't too bad as far as grinding goes; unfortunately you can't really get rid of all the grinding because that was one of the main activities of the original game.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Nemo2342 posted:

The remakes (at least the GBC one) aren't too bad as far as grinding goes; unfortunately you can't really get rid of all the grinding because that was one of the main activities of the original game.

I just finished playing the translated Famicom version of DQ1 and I was stunned by how much less grinding there was, with a bit more actual content. I went all the way to level 30 and it took me less than an hour to go from 25 to 30 on the same level where you fight the final boss. Another nice thing was that you don't constantly get put to Sleep and then beat to death like in the original NES game. I was also pleasantly surprised that you can find the 2nd-best shield in the game in a chest in a cave because, apart from the best armour and sword that can't be bought, you grind cash for everything else.

I am playing DQ2 on the SFC now, but it's too early in the game to comment as I only just got the ship, and DW2NES's most grave flaws were later in the game. It's still to be determined if the changed stat growth and better equipment options make your companions worth a drat late in the game. I'm also dubious because the Princess's best weapon is a rare drop from a trash mob only, and so is the only helmet that both she and the prince can wear. That sort of thing tends to be unreliable and frustrating.

Luceo posted:

You married wisely and well, sir goon.

Vinchenz
Jul 13, 2012

But trust me, I know that I'm the worst bastard here.

Looper posted:

Though admittedly this isn't necessarily the case, Maribel is probably your primary spellcaster and as such is best equipped for fighting multiple enemies. Aira is a warrior who has no multi-target abilities. I think putting an extremely powerful boss who calls in tons of flunkies (and are all immune to one of the best group target elements for non-casters) in the area immediately after losing Maribel and gaining Aira is a bad design decision. I think losing Maribel with zero forewarning is a dumb design decision. I think not letting you access the weapon and armor shops once the wind stops is a silly design decision. And I think making you go through the same two dungeons twice is a tedious design decision

those metal slimes are real dang cute tho

e: I lied Aira does have a couple of lousy group target abilities

I mean, I get that the game doesn't have the best design decisions here and there but overall the game's still pretty great. Are there better Dragon Quest games? Yeah, but outside of the series its not a bad game at all, it just takes awhile to get into and it can throw you some nasty curveballs here and there that you have to be ready for.

I admit I don't know the full details of the quality of life changes to the 3DS version of DQVII but if anyone wanted a solid RPG with tons of content and refined turn-based combat I'd recommend it over several other RPGs on the 3DS (though on the same level as Bravely Default and Xenoblade Chronicles, the second of which is also very solid with tons of content).

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Vinchenz posted:

I mean, I get that the game doesn't have the best design decisions here and there but overall the game's still pretty great. Are there better Dragon Quest games? Yeah, but outside of the series its not a bad game at all, it just takes awhile to get into and it can throw you some nasty curveballs here and there that you have to be ready for.

I admit I don't know the full details of the quality of life changes to the 3DS version of DQVII but if anyone wanted a solid RPG with tons of content and refined turn-based combat I'd recommend it over several other RPGs on the 3DS (though on the same level as Bravely Default and Xenoblade Chronicles, the second of which is also very solid with tons of content).

That kind of thing is the norm though, not the exception. I could also go on about the entire Dharma region, or how the class system discourages experimentation by penalizing you for switching out of unmastered classes, tying class progress to battles instead of a point system, and just generally taking forever to make any progress. It just doesn't seem like much thought was put into anything; it's mind boggling how much of an improvement 8 is

Again, I'm basing this all on the PS1 game (hopefully the new localization will be better, too), but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Bravelies or Etrians or SMT over this any day

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Srice posted:

Dragon Quest I spoilers in this post.

The structure is also rather unique for its time. Almost the entire world is immediately accessible and it feels good to have more of it available to you simply as a result of you getting stronger. I also thought the whole cross a bridge = go up in difficulty level was a really clever and effective way of creating thresholds for you to choose to cross when you felt ready. It almost feels kind of "press your luck"-esque for much of the game since you need money to buy new equipment and there's no bank (I think). All this adds up to it feeling like you do things because you want to rather than because the plot "allows" you to, which is a fun thing to return to now.

Also, the game has a lot of really cool little details (some of which are from the remakes). I loving love the fact that you can choose whether or not to rescue the princess and that doing so causes your sprite to change to you carrying her in your arms. I believe if you return her to the king she gives you an item that constantly reminds you that she loves you. :3: The ending is pretty cool too: aside from the option to freeze your game with the "join the dragon lord" choice, the game has an actual victory lap where you can walk around the map and have people thank you for saving them! It's something that can really only happen in a game as small and simple as Dragon Quest I but I love that it does.

On a slightly less innocent note, it's pretty funny that you can not only get the girl in the first town to spend the night with you ("It sounded like you had a lot of fun last night!"), but you can also do that with the princess in tow, too, for some good ol' 8-bit pubescent wish fulfillment. :v:

Basically Dragon Quest I is still fun to me because it's so prototypical that it's almost refreshing to go back to now.

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 3, 2016

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Nickoten posted:

Dragon Quest I spoilers in this post.

The structure is also rather unique for its time. Almost the entire world is immediately accessible and it feels good to have more of it available to you simply as a result of you getting stronger. I also thought the whole cross a bridge = go up in difficulty level was a really clever and effective way of creating thresholds for you to choose to cross when you felt ready. It almost feels kind of "press your luck"-esque for much of the game since you need money to buy new equipment and there's no bank (I think). All this adds up to it feeling like you do things because you want to rather than because the plot "allows" you to, which is a fun thing to return to now.

Also, the game has a lot of really cool little details (some of which are from the remakes). I loving love the fact that you can choose whether or not to rescue the princess and that doing so causes your sprite to change to you carrying her in your arms. I believe if you return her to the king she gives you an item that constantly reminds you that she loves you. :3: The ending is pretty cool too: aside from the option to freeze your game with the "join the dragon lord" choice, the game has an actual victory lap where you can walk around the map and have people thank you for saving them! It's something that can really only happen in a game as small and simple as Dragon Quest I but I love that it does.

On a slightly less innocent note, it's pretty funny that you can not only get the girl in the first town to spend the night with you ("You sound like you had a lot of fun last night!"), but you can also do that with the princess in tow, too, for some good ol' 8-bit pubescent wish fulfillment. :v:

Basically Dragon Quest I is still fun to me because it's so prototypical that it's almost refreshing to go back to now.

I was and remain very fond of the, admittedly non-animated, enemy sprites in the NES version.

Also, in the SFC remake, if you choose to join the Dragon Lord you wake up in an inn in Rimuldar... turns out it was all a nightmare!

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Luceo posted:

If there's a matching king metal I might have to get one.

I finished the story of DQ Heroes. Is the post-game stuff worth playing, or is it grindfest super-hard bosses?

I was able to beat most of the defend the checkpoint ones and one of the megabosses (the big moose demon). I can't for the life of me beat Nokturnus or the Z guy whose name I can't remember so I said gently caress it, the game's pretty done for me.

You can grind levels kinda fast with Alena's multifist attack and giving her two of the item that boosts critical hit chance... go nuts on King Metal Slimes

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Looper posted:

That kind of thing is the norm though, not the exception. I could also go on about the entire Dharma region, or how the class system discourages experimentation by penalizing you for switching out of unmastered classes, tying class progress to battles instead of a point system, and just generally taking forever to make any progress. It just doesn't seem like much thought was put into anything; it's mind boggling how much of an improvement 8 is

Again, I'm basing this all on the PS1 game (hopefully the new localization will be better, too), but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Bravelies or Etrians or SMT over this any day

The 3DS version of VII is pretty much a different (massively improved) game compared to the PS1 version, so please don't tell people not to play it based on the PS1 experience. We need as many people as possible to buy DQ7 :(

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

if it ever actually comes out

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It'll be out around July sometime but don't quote me on that.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
poo poo, it's confirmed for localization at all when its chances looked almost as bad as Mother 3 for a while, I'm happy to wait a while longer.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Nickoten posted:

the game has an actual victory lap where you can walk around the map and have people thank you for saving them! It's something that can really only happen in a game as small and simple as Dragon Quest I but I love that it does.

*cough*Earthbound*cough*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Lunar games.
A number of other games with a rather small victory lap centered in one town.