Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Whizbang posted:

ETaC merges fine, you just need to load the merge into the creation kit to regenerate navmeshes afterwards.

Has someone done this for everyone else already? I've never loaded the creation kit, and don't have time to learn. Basically I'm a lazy goon who mooches off the hard work of the Noble Modding Community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I'm trying to download the Quality Map linked in the OP and Nexus won't let me do it, either through their own installer or manually. I'm logged in, but it thinks I'm not. Brand new to this whole modding thing so it's probably me... :smith:

edit: yep, me :downs:

Pyrotoad fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 27, 2016

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
After I recently went on a custom follower kick, I wrote up a lengthy effortpost about the major custom follower mods, then re-read it and realized most of it was pointless fluff no one wants to read. Here's the condensed version: far as I can tell there are four serious follower mods on Nexus that are the most popular by far, ignoring the various waifus and such. (I've never tried Interesting NPCs but others in this thread have said it contains some good custom followers.)

Arissa is built to be a thief/sneak-friendly mod. She dual wields and has pumped up Sneak skill, but by default will go Leeroy Jenkins upon spotting an enemy just like all other Skyrim followers. She comes with two pretty generic custom quests (three if you count the very short recruitment quest) and that's all; she has a lore-friendly backstory but it's not extensive. There is no option for romance or even any Serana-esque hinting at it, which you might view as a good thing or a bad thing; I won't judge.

The big plus is that IMO she has the best voice acting of all the custom mods (YMMV of course) and doesn't get in your way. The big minus is a convoluted "Regard" morality system that even some pretty basic options like changing her clothes or asking her to pick up a book are gated behind for a couple hours of gameplay. Oh, and you're not allowed to commit murder with her following you, and don't even think about going anywhere near Namira's quest. And another downside is that Arissa comes out of the box looking like she was rendered on 2004 hardware, and requires a good bit of outside-the-game tinkering to get looking reasonably good. Minor if you're already a seasoned modder, nowhere near worth the trouble if not.

Inigo is IMO the best custom follower hands down if you're looking for a follower that frequently interacts with you in a way that feels natural. A lot of his comments are genuinely pretty funny, and he slowly opens up to you over time in a way that doesn't feel nearly as hamhanded as Arissa or as sappy as Vilja. He's also built to be sneak friendly (because let's face it Stealth Archer is the correct way to play Skyrim and all other play styles are self-imposed challenges). The only downside is if you don't want your follower to actually be an active part of your world, but if that's the case I don't imagine you'd be installing custom follower mods anyway :v: Or if you don't like cat-men I guess.

Sofia endlessly comes onto you and makes sex jokes that will have you screaming in laughter if you're in middle school. She's very customizable in an MCM menu, which is a big plus; you can give her any fighting style you please, very easily. I dunno, she doesn't do much for me but if you want a slutty teenage boy's dream for a follower but don't want a waifu, this is the mod you're looking for. Another thing I should mention is that although she doesn't have a super thick accent like Vilja, a lot of her voice acting sounds very unnatural. Like emphasizing the wrong syllables and stuff. It bothers me, it might not bother you.

Vilja is easily the most ambitious custom follower mod (almost 1GB download), coming packaged with an ongoing series of quests that's probably as long as the main quest, or more. A lot of it is a long series of fetch quests, which sounds annoying but the mod's stated purpose is to blend in seamlessly with whatever else you're doing in Skyrim, and it does mesh well in that regard since most of Skyrim is a long series of fetch quests after all. Vilja is basically ~Skyrim: A Love Story~. It allows you the option to ignore the romance but the mod is clearly built around it. It's very very romance-novelly. If that makes you want to puke, Vilja isn't for you. That said, Vilja is very good at being interactive without being obtrusive, at least once you tweak her settings to your taste.

Vilja is super customizable and it's mostly done through conversation menus, which is worse than an MCM menu but better than having to install additional programs. I have heard that her clothing scripts are super bugged and will freak out and make her run around naked most of the time if you change her wardrobes too much, but I didn't mess with them enough to have it happen myself.

Also Vilja's voice actress has a very thick accent. It doesn't bother me (hell, it's no worse than the Russians and quasi-Welsh running around Skyrim, if anything it's lore friendly :haw:) but it might bother the hell out of you. Her delivery is still way better than Sofia's voice actress, IMO. However, be warned--there are numerous other characters this mod adds for your various quests, and their voice acting is SPECTACULARLY bad.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 27, 2016

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I will add that Vilja and Inigo have custom dialog between the two of them. They talk to each other when you're wandering around.
The one thing I do recommend for Vilja at least is to tone down the amount she talks. She talks way too much by default in my opinion. An occasional comment is fine, but if I'm at the gates in Whiterun and she makes three comments by the time I reach the Honeybrew Meadery, that's a bit too talky. Inigo's default frequency is fine.

Interesting NPCs adds a shitton of NPCs to Skyrim. They all have their own stories. They aren't that fleshed out, but they are much better than the default NPCs in Skyrim.

I should also mention Hoth
He's an old grizzled bounty hunter with custom equipment. His voice acting is good. He offers infinite quests to claim bounties. He once was an adventurer like you, but then he used some guy's knee as an arrow.

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 27, 2016

CasualTR
Apr 22, 2016

My Hunk of Silicon is better than your Hunk of Silicon

Eric the Mauve posted:

Inigo is IMO the best custom follower hands down if you're looking for a follower that frequently interacts with you in a way that feels natural. A lot of his comments are genuinely pretty funny, and he slowly opens up to you over time in a way that doesn't feel nearly as hamhanded as Arissa or as sappy as Vilja. He's also built to be sneak friendly (because let's face it Stealth Archer is the correct way to play Skyrim and all other play styles are self-imposed challenges). The only downside is if you don't want your follower to actually be an active part of your world, but if that's the case I don't imagine you'd be installing custom follower mods anyway :v: Or if you don't like cat-men I guess.

I second this. The mod is a breath of fresh air from all the 'Look at me! I'm so sexy!' characters on the nexus.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So I was thinking about picking up Skyrim again, since I bought Dawnguard, Dragonborn, and Hearthfire about a year ago, and I wanted to clear them out of my backlog.

I had drafted a list of mods that I wanted to use a while ago. Here's an abridged list

quote:

SKSE
Unofficial Skyrim Patch
SkyUI
Alternate Start
Race Menu
Familiar Faces
SkyRe/Perkus Maximus
Helgen Reborn
Bruce Hammer: Legacy
A Quality World Map (Paper Map)
Convenient Horses
Immersive Weapons
Realistic Lighting Overhaul
Customizable Camera
Fhaarkasa Font Mod - SkyUI
Uncle Sheogorath (Alternate Load Screen Messages)
Frostfall Camping
HD 2K Textures
Pumping Iron
Timing is Everything
Lilacor Sword
Dovahbear

Are there any other mods that I should use, or ones on this list that I should ignore? One I'm thinking about skipping is Familar Faces, since I switched computers a while ago, and I don't think the save games are stored in the cloud.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Think about switching from SkyRe/PerMa to SPERG, or SPERG+Ordinator.

Immersive Horses replaces Convenient Horses.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

My take on the "big four" followers:

Arissa: Pretty awesome until you finish her quest and it's like... that's it? She doesn't have that much to say or do, really. She comments on a few major locations but doesn't feel super interactive and like a part of your adventure the way the other ones do.

Inigo: Solid... I saved this guy for a new playthrough and I'm not that deep into it but he's a cool character and consistently fun to have around.

Sofia: Gets kind of a bad rap I think for being the sexy follower or whatever. It's a way more lighthearted mod than any of the others, doesn't take the game so seriously, doesn't bend over backwards trying to be immersive and lore friendly. On one level it's like a parody of a follower mod, and a pretty sharp one at that. On another level it's like hanging out with a silly friend who can't stop cracking dumb dirty jokes. It's true that the line delivery is weirdly off a lot of the time, but if you want to break up the monotony of questing, you could do worse. (Turn the comment frequency WAY down if you want to stay sane.)

Vilja: The sheer scope of the mod is damned impressive. What really stands out to me, though, is that Vilja is realistic in the sense that she's got her own opinions and goals and will not always agree with you. Not in the Arissa sense where you have to manage affection points, which feels very video gamey, and not just making snarky comments like Sofia. Vilja has a mind of her own in a way i have not seen in other video game followers. She will leave you and do her own thing sometimes because she's got poo poo to do. She will argue about what quest to work on next. If you let her, she will literally take the lead, pick some destination and lead you toward it. I can see her really rubbing some people the wrong way, but it's kind of a fascinating approach. She actively resists being stuck in a sidekick role. When you've got Vilja on your squad, Skyrim actually stops being all about you.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Alasyre posted:

Edit: Actually this worked nicely for shadows.

The majority of those settings don't do anything. Enjoy your placebo!

Charles De Mar
Jun 8, 2010

Currently I'm weighting my options and want some outside input before I do something rash and disappear from the modding scene like a fart into the wind.

Problem: I'm so, so tired of mod comments. I'm tired of people. I'm tired of constantly being barraged with requests, suggestions, expectations and demands. Not to mention the stupid comments from people who didn't read the description (when you have almost 90 mod pages you get A LOT OF IT).
I'm tired of all the attention my mods are getting. Yes, I know this is mostly currently Fallout 4, but my decision about my modding "career" will affect all my 70 or so Skyrim mods, so I'm posting here, mainly because this is the community I trust and care about and where I think I'll find the best support for anything modding related.

I'm at my wit's end here. When I turn off and lock my mod page comments on Nexus, people move onto my Facebook, YouTube and Twitter, and keep blasting me with expectations, requests and comments all the time.

I want to wipe my entire Nexus profile and all my well over hundred mods.

I'm so exhausted. I share mods because I hope people will find use of my hobby work, I didn't upload it to get feedback, suggestions or "improving my skills as a modder or to get constructive criticism". I made it because I had fun making it, and I uploaded it in case someone else might find it useful.

I'm on the verge of a serious nervous breakdown here and I don't know how to streamline my mod pages (Having over 85 mod pages is a massive pain in the rear end to manage and upkeep) and keep my OCD / neat-freakishness in check.

What do I do? I don't want your sympathy or "BUT WE LOVE YOU ELI HAVE A HUG"s. I want solid ideas and suggestions on how to keep my sanity, how to deal with this situation so I don't end up gone like the Wyrmstooth author.

I've now locked almost all my mod page comments, hopefully that will help for a while. I can't just stop modding. I love doing it. It's the "Stay away from interacting with people and just ignore the demands" part that is hard and causing me distress.

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009

Whizbang posted:

The majority of those settings don't do anything. Enjoy your placebo!

Based on my before and after shots, at least some of them worked spectacularly to smooth out my shadows. So I would still suggest using the list.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Bhruce Hammar is the best and only good follower

buckle up, dragonborn

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Charles De Mar posted:

I want solid ideas and suggestions on how to keep my sanity, how to deal with this situation so I don't end up gone like the Wyrmstooth author.
What you describe is pretty much why I stopped releasing mods.

If you want to keep doing it, would you could try is wiping you existing Nexus account and making a new one. Reach out the Nexus' staff before doing that so they won't freak over you potentially having multiple accounts.
Make sure to keep this new Nexus identity completely seperate from the one you use for social media and other stuff so that you can't be reached on facebook, etc.
Keep comments on the Nexus' pages closed and see about making your own bugtracker, for example on github. Someplace where you can shift the actual bug reports from the random bitching properly and at your own pace. Be sure to limit the time you spend on sorting through reports. Don't think you have to read stuff the moment it's submitted.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 14:22 on May 28, 2016

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Charles De Mar posted:

people move onto my Facebook, YouTube and Twitter

Have you made these accounts private? Don't hesitate to just block uninvited guests.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Charles De Mar posted:

I've now locked almost all my mod page comments, hopefully that will help for a while. I can't just stop modding. I love doing it. It's the "Stay away from interacting with people and just ignore the demands" part that is hard and causing me distress.

I'm not trying to be an rear end in a top hat here, but I do not see what is difficult about unlocking the comments and not reading them. Just... don't read the comments.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Charles De Mar posted:

Currently I'm weighting my options and want some outside input before I do something rash and disappear from the modding scene like a fart into the wind.

Problem: I'm so, so tired of mod comments. I'm tired of people. I'm tired of constantly being barraged with requests, suggestions, expectations and demands. Not to mention the stupid comments from people who didn't read the description (when you have almost 90 mod pages you get A LOT OF IT).
I'm tired of all the attention my mods are getting. Yes, I know this is mostly currently Fallout 4, but my decision about my modding "career" will affect all my 70 or so Skyrim mods, so I'm posting here, mainly because this is the community I trust and care about and where I think I'll find the best support for anything modding related.

I'm at my wit's end here. When I turn off and lock my mod page comments on Nexus, people move onto my Facebook, YouTube and Twitter, and keep blasting me with expectations, requests and comments all the time.

I want to wipe my entire Nexus profile and all my well over hundred mods.

I'm so exhausted. I share mods because I hope people will find use of my hobby work, I didn't upload it to get feedback, suggestions or "improving my skills as a modder or to get constructive criticism". I made it because I had fun making it, and I uploaded it in case someone else might find it useful.

I'm on the verge of a serious nervous breakdown here and I don't know how to streamline my mod pages (Having over 85 mod pages is a massive pain in the rear end to manage and upkeep) and keep my OCD / neat-freakishness in check.

What do I do? I don't want your sympathy or "BUT WE LOVE YOU ELI HAVE A HUG"s. I want solid ideas and suggestions on how to keep my sanity, how to deal with this situation so I don't end up gone like the Wyrmstooth author.

This is why you never attach social media accounts to anything, or better, don't even bother with them

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

I'm not trying to be an rear end in a top hat here, but I do not see what is difficult about unlocking the comments and not reading them. Just... don't read the comments.

Isn't this the same argument that's made about cyberbullying?

"Just don't read it."

It's also a bit of a problem since feedback can be really nice and encouraging, so it's pretty tempting to seek it out.

There's nothing like having someone tell you how much they enjoyed the thing you made.

On the other hand, someone telling you how much is wrong and bad with the thing you made...

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I'm reminded of the youtuber TotalBiscuit, who disabled comments on his videos after he developed an actual stress disorder from reading them.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Yeah but TB has always been a long way from mentally sound *talks about resolution settings for 10 minutes*

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

ThaumPenguin posted:

Isn't this the same argument that's made about cyberbullying?

"Just don't read it."

I don't know what arguments are made about cyberbullying, but their relevance isn't clear to me since "cyberbullying" isn't actually under discussion as far as I can tell. (With the exception that following someone to Facebook/Twitter/etc is basically stalking and does suck, but maybe you can direct a similar criticism to any reply that basically says he shouldn't have linked his social media, which by this standard constitutes "victim-blaming"?)

Charles De Mar posted:

I share mods because I hope people will find use of my hobby work, I didn't upload it to get feedback, suggestions or "improving my skills as a modder or to get constructive criticism".

This is not "bullying." This is just what people do in the comments section for things like this, and I can get how this can become exhausting and obnoxious, but very few if any of these people are "out to get" him, they are just doing what people do. Some of it (general feedback, requests, suggestions) is reasonable benign behavior without any abusive element, others (demands and expectations, "didn't read the manual" complaints) are annoying but also aren't abusive or bullying. It's also reasonable and understandable to get overwhelmed and burnt out by it and not want deal with it anymore. There's no reason why anyone has to, though.

quote:

It's also a bit of a problem since feedback can be really nice and encouraging, so it's pretty tempting to seek it out.

There's nothing like having someone tell you how much they enjoyed the thing you made.

On the other hand, someone telling you how much is wrong and bad with the thing you made...

Yeah, obviously. But if he's willing to shut down the comments section, he has already decided that the good comments aren't worth dealing with the rest of them.

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
That's a post from Elianora from Reddit. Surprised she doesn't just ban everyone who comments on her mods.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Oh, lol, whoops.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Questions about Skyrim Flora Overhaul, for reference I'm running the older 1.91 Regular Edition. I want to run just the trees, not the grass, for both performance and aesthetic reasons. The author said to do so I should not load a few folders, and also uncheck both esps. To do this, I deleted those folders from the zip archive before installing it using MOO, and then after installing I leave the mod checked on the left side but uncheck the three esps on the right window (the author said "both", but I'm also using the dragonborn add on so presumably it includes the two original esps as well as the optional one).

So am I doing that correct? Extra grass isn't showing up but I also want to make sure I'm doing the trees bit properly. And I'm also running Dyndolod: when I generate the distant objects, do I check the esps for the generation process, or still leave them unchecked?

Additionally, I want to run the "enhanced distant terrain" optional mod from the Ruffled Feather file page. Do I install this before running Dyndolod? And after it's set up, does it go before or after dyndolod in the load order?

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 28, 2016

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

I don't know what arguments are made about cyberbullying, but their relevance isn't clear to me since "cyberbullying" isn't actually under discussion as far as I can tell. (With the exception that following someone to Facebook/Twitter/etc is basically stalking and does suck, but maybe you can direct a similar criticism to any reply that basically says he shouldn't have linked his social media, which by this standard constitutes "victim-blaming"?)

This is not "bullying." This is just what people do in the comments section for things like this, and I can get how this can become exhausting and obnoxious, but very few if any of these people are "out to get" him, they are just doing what people do. Some of it (general feedback, requests, suggestions) is reasonable benign behavior without any abusive element, others (demands and expectations, "didn't read the manual" complaints) are annoying but also aren't abusive or bullying. It's also reasonable and understandable to get overwhelmed and burnt out by it and not want deal with it anymore. There's no reason why anyone has to, though.

Yeah, obviously. But if he's willing to shut down the comments section, he has already decided that the good comments aren't worth dealing with the rest of them.

Ah sorry, I didn't mean to imply that cyberbullying is what's taking place here. It's just that with cyberbullying I've often seen "just don't read any of it" used as an argument for shuffling part of the blame onto the victim.

When you know somebody's writing stuff about you or what you've made, it can be really difficult to just choose to avoid it entirely, especially when you get notified every time it happens.

That said, it's probably a bit of a false equivalency.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Does anyone use Death Alternative? I like the idea of JRPG style death of losing coins and items on death, it's just that all the settings are confusing and it'd be nice if someone could share their MCM settings.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Elianora has a shitload of housing mods and most of them are really good, and most extremely popular. That's not really mod drama IMO, that's someone finally getting loving tired of how awful that community is, which is not terribly surprising. Especially someone with the amount of popular mods as she has.

I mean I have 1 house with only like 50k views and 8k downloads and of the 200 comments made like 160 want me to customize something for their play through.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I always thought the disclaimers and such she puts in her mod descriptions made her sound like kind of a jerk that wasn't interested in answering questions, but then I read some of the comments she gets once. Don't blame her for feeling burnt out.

Weird that the nexus doesn't let you have multiple accounts, seems like the best solution in most of these situations is to leave up the mod page so people can still use it, but just loving abandon it and start a new one under a different name if you want to keep modding.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

What would a non-awful community do? Not make requests, comments, or suggestions?

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Well based on what I saw, some manners would go a long way, and maybe like, reading the instructions that come with the mod would help too.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Well a lot of the comments are reasonable, but there's also a mix of people who have no idea of the actual work involved asking for a lot, people expecting you to cater to their vision of your work, and then the occasional rude as gently caress thing to make you think worse of every following comment.

For a handful of mods ignoring it is easy, but she has like 25 popular houses so I bet it gets real bad.

Also responding to the same requests 10 times in the same comment thread can make you unintentionally hostile to the idea by the time the latter few come around.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 28, 2016

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Hey everyone! So I used to play a lot of Skyrim on my PS3, so I never got into modding at all. Well I recently got bought a much never computer an I was hoping to finally give Skyrim modding a whirl. However I have found it a bit overwhelming! There are simply too many mods. I want to download 50 new quest mods and dungeon packs, but the prospect of downloading them and getting them all to work together is a bit daunting.

Is there some kind of giant 10GB torrent mod pack that has lots of mods all working together? I want to play with tons of mods, but I don't want to spend a million years putting it together (I also kind of like to be surprised).

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

In a word: no. There are curated piles of mods like SkyRE or G.E.M.S. that try to adhere to at least some sort of quality standard, though.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Davoren posted:

Well based on what I saw, some manners would go a long way, and maybe like, reading the instructions that come with the mod would help too.

All of these things would be nice. None of them are likely to be found in any community centered on projects like this. You're always going to have idiots who didn't RTFM. You're always going to have rude people and your tools for controlling them are limited and difficult to use well. It's ironic how much of this centers on the Nexus, because it is a site that does more than may be reasonable to give mod authors control over what people say about their mods. So like, what is the solution? What does a good community look like and how to you make it?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Mazz posted:

Well a lot of the comments are reasonable, but there's also a mix of people who have no idea of the actual work involved asking for a lot, people expecting you to cater to their vision of your work, and then the occasional rude as gently caress thing to make you think worse of every following comment.

For a handful of mods ignoring it is easy, but she has like 25 popular houses so I bet it gets real bad.

Also responding to the same requests 10 times in the same comment thread can make you unintentionally hostile to the idea by the time the latter few come around.

I'm really, seriously not trying to be an rear end in a top hat but again, why is it hard to not respond to the same request 10 times? In that situation I'd make a FAQ and tell people who repeat questions on it to read it or ignore them.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

scamtank posted:

In a word: no. There are curated piles of mods like SkyRE or G.E.M.S. that try to adhere to at least some sort of quality standard, though.

Thats a bit disappointing. I have been spoiled by Minecraft, it has hundreds of one click mod packs.

Oh well I guess it's off to the Nexus! This is going to take a couple of days :(

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
It is. But note that most quest mods blow chunks. I'd recommend, instead, focusing on the core gameplay. There's so much good there that it'll be hard to not want to play the game through multiple times with different setups.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Apoplexy posted:

It is. But note that most quest mods blow chunks. I'd recommend, instead, focusing on the core gameplay. There's so much good there that it'll be hard to not want to play the game through multiple times with different setups.

Yeah I assumed most of the new quests are of RPG Maker quality. I've mostly been looking at mods that add "100+ new!" monsters/spells/weapons/etc. I don't really care about pretty dresses, or having sex with demons, or decorating a house so a good portion of the mods I can skip.

I'm mostly just after new things to kill, new ways to kill them, and new things to take from them after I have killed them.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
He's not kidding, almost every quest mod I've tried (including most of the most popular ones) is horrible.

The OP of this thread is out of date now but still includes many of the absolute must-have mods (including: SkyUI, the Unofficial Patches, SMIM, Bounty Gold, Timing Is Everything, Even Better Quest Objectives, The Choice is Yours, Run For Your Lives.)

I highly recommend SPERG, it's just better in every way than vanilla Skyrim for leveling and perks, just install it on your first PC playthrough and you'll love it. Your call though.

Stuff like Immersive Armors/Weapons and Convenient Horses is very popular too but that's up to you.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

GunnerJ posted:

I'm really, seriously not trying to be an rear end in a top hat but again, why is it hard to not respond to the same request 10 times? In that situation I'd make a FAQ and tell people who repeat questions on it to read it or ignore them.

Well even with FAQs and people asking the same question as the most recent comment, they still keep coming and it just slowly gets under your skin even ignoring them. It's just weird like that. You still have to see them since you need to check the comments for bugs and stuff and it gets grating seeing them over and over, and she has a ton of popular mods. I personally don't give a poo poo and move on but obviously she did. I only said I understand how it bothered her. Seems like her big mistake was adding social media to it all though, that's real dumb and half the reason I don't host my mods on steam since that's even too close to home for me. Out of sight out of mind except she hosed up and it's never out of sight now.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

It may be difficult for people to understand until they have put a mod out there and had people react to it, but users can be real shitheads. It doesn't take hearing a dumb comment a bunch of times to get fed up with it. It doesn't take hearing it twice. Sometimes it doesn't take hearing it once, and you grit your teeth hovering your cursor over the "publish" button because you just know. For somebody as high-profile as Elianora, I don't know how they put up with it all to begin with.

It's like if you really enjoy baking in your spare time, and you go to work one day and you say "I baked everybody cookies." You know... some people don't want them, and that's ok, you can't please everybody. Some people are saying thanks and patting you on the back, which is nice, but not necessary. Most people just take one and don't say anything, but that's cool, not like you need them throwing a parade or some poo poo, you're just glad to see people enjoying it.

You might get a comment like "you ever try putting caramel chips in these?" and you go "oh that's a neat idea, I'll think about it." A thoughtful and constructive suggestion can make your day.

But somebody who comes up to you and just says "these cookies suck" is a real rear end in a top hat. Somebody who comes up and says "I don't like this kind of cookie, make me a different cookie" is probably not somebody you ever want to talk to again. You get a few comments like that and you might reconsider ever bringing these sons of bitches cookies again. This is not a case of being oversensitive, it is a case of people being dicks. It's not like you were expecting a hug from those guys, but for gently caress's sake... if you don't like it, just shut up.

Of course, if somebody comes up to you like "hey FYI this cookie had a pube in it" you would rightly respond "oh poo poo, I'm sorry, thanks for bringing that to my attention." If your cookies are toxic and making everybody poo poo their pants, that's your bad, and maybe you should like, throw them out and rethink your recipe. Excepting edge cases like this, it is really best not to be a dick about free cookies.

• Locked thread