Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Ogmius815 posted:

Is this a lot like TF2? I did not like TF2 much.
Superficially

I didn't like TF2 either and I can't put Overwatch down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

pippy posted:

Every single time anyone mentions his name.

drat good chocolate, drat good hero. I came around on him something fierce since the open beta.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Randler posted:

How do you do that thing where yellow bits shoot out of that thing in your hand as Torbjörn? :staredog:

Um, the alt fire? You just right click to get a shotgun-ish spread of pellets.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Crossposting from the other Overwatch thread:

PureRok posted:

This is the best Mercy PotG you'll ever see, I guarantee it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3nhOMQkG8A

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Discovering what McCree's right click does certainly changed my view of him. It's the only way I can get revenge on those players that usually pound the crap out of me. Got a game ending PotG by running onto the point from a side entrance and fan killing a dude, roll/flash/fan killing the person next to him and then roll/fan killing the final defender.

I think the only time I use his primary is in the spawn room to shoot basketballs. :clint:

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything
they really need to limit the rate of turn on bastion and the target acquisition time on Torbjorn's turret.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

Kehveli posted:

I wish the potg algorithm recognized mercy plays that literally saved the entire game for a team even if they don't involve using a resurrect. I know it's more than a little petty but sometimes you fly around and get everyone topped off and recognize when they'll burst and give them the extra damage needed and it would be nice to get that seen sometime as well.

I got PotG once on Mercy.

Was it the time I kept all 5 teammates alive for 6+ minutes defending point B on Temple of Anubis? No

Was it any of the times I've managed to cross over the entirety of the map to save someone who is fighting 3 people and was about to die? No

Was it the time that my team got wiped by a bastion sitting in a corner and I rezzed 3 of them so that they could immediately die to that bastion again? Yes. That was my PoTG. Charging Bastion's ult further was my game changing contribution.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Shortest Path posted:

It looks a lot like TF2 and the game types are the same, but it ends up playing way differently. There are characters that fit a much larger variety of playstyles and gameplay types, so if you're a heavy quake/ut player or a counterstrike player or a tf2 player you'll find some characters that feel similar to whatever game you're coming from.

Pharah is 100% the hero of choice for those of us who grew up on Q3 Arena. Someday I'll be good with her, too.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Pharah is 100% the hero of choice for those of us who grew up on Q3 Arena. Someday I'll be good with her, too.

But when will she be the Tribes 2 Hero

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

When they add skiing as a mechanic to her jump jets.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Night Blade posted:

Um, the alt fire? You just right click to get a shotgun-ish spread of pellets.

It was supposed to be a joke, because Torbjörn POTG usually do not actually involve him shooting.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Szcwczuk posted:

they really need to limit the rate of turn on bastion and the target acquisition time on Torbjorn's turret.

No

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
You should lose XP if you don't make puns in the chat to the other team/your team.

Looks like this game is.....................ON ICE.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

the dwarf turret dude is the pick of losers, sad

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I learned today against a level 48 person (how...how..) that Mei is surprisingly strong against McCree because flashbang into a full fan is not fast enough to kill her before she can ice herself, unless you are maybe point blank and manage to get the headshots in.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jeza posted:

I learned today against a level 48 person (how...how..) that Mei is surprisingly strong against McCree because flashbang into a full fan is not fast enough to kill her before she can ice herself, unless you are maybe point blank and manage to get the headshots in.

You can't headshot with fan, but you should easily be able to kill Mei if you fan immediately after the Flashbang at point-blank.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Anyone know if you get penalized for leaving during the setup phase? Or is it only during the match proper? I know the game stops caring as soon as Victory/Defeat pops up on the screen.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

xanif posted:

I got PotG once on Mercy.

Was it the time I kept all 5 teammates alive for 6+ minutes defending point B on Temple of Anubis? No

Was it any of the times I've managed to cross over the entirety of the map to save someone who is fighting 3 people and was about to die? No

Was it the time that my team got wiped by a bastion sitting in a corner and I rezzed 3 of them so that they could immediately die to that bastion again? Yes. That was my PoTG. Charging Bastion's ult further was my game changing contribution.
One thing every Mercy player I've seen so far ( including myself until recently ) forgets, is that she has a pistol. And it's not actually that bad.

It's automatic, has a big clip, and nearly zero recoil with damage that isn't to be sniffed at. It's pretty drat nasty to pull out if you're out of healing targets and there's nobody to boost in range.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
https://twitter.com/wazhlon/status/736332846256775168

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ok I'm sort of acceptable (by my awful standards) as Junky, Pharah and Lucio now. Now I just need a tank to fall in love with and I'm all set forever.

e: Also it turns out Pharah's ultimate can hurt her and even if you can't see a small beam in front of where you're hovering, your rockets can still hit it and kill you. I don't think anyone saw.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

mr. stefan posted:

I've gotten multiple triple kills and at least one teamkill with d.va's ult, people really underestimate how useful boosting up is.

I don't know, I think once people get hit by it once or twice they'll pretty much never get killed by it again even when you try the trickier stuff like boosting it over a wall/coming from above. If you hear the voice clip you're pretty much safe

It's still useful for scattering the team/getting them off the objective but I haven't had much luck getting more than one or two kills at a time

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Vermain posted:

You can't headshot with fan, but you should easily be able to kill Mei if you fan immediately after the Flashbang at point-blank.

I mean it seems like you have to be insanely close or something. If they are hammering Ice Cube, you only get 4 shots off fan assuming you start firing the absolute same nanosecond as you hit the flashbang, which you won't, so you'll probably only get 3. It seemed to own me repeatedly.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Dick Trauma posted:

Discovering what McCree's right click does certainly changed my view of him. It's the only way I can get revenge on those players that usually pound the crap out of me. Got a game ending PotG by running onto the point from a side entrance and fan killing a dude, roll/flash/fan killing the person next to him and then roll/fan killing the final defender.

I think the only time I use his primary is in the spawn room to shoot basketballs. :clint:

yeah it's crazy that more people don't use him because he is crazy good and super easy to use

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric

Spiritus Nox posted:

Anyone know if you get penalized for leaving during the setup phase? Or is it only during the match proper? I know the game stops caring as soon as Victory/Defeat pops up on the screen.

I don't think you do. You'll see a warning somewhere on the screen if you do, then if you leave another game you'll see the penalty at the bottom of the after-game screen. So if no warning, you're golden.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

limited posted:

One thing every Mercy player I've seen so far ( including myself until recently ) forgets, is that she has a pistol. And it's not actually that bad.

It's automatic, has a big clip, and nearly zero recoil with damage that isn't to be sniffed at. It's pretty drat nasty to pull out if you're out of healing targets and there's nobody to boost in range.

I love her pistol. It's fantastic a medium range which is great because every reaper/tracer that comes in to flank you expects an easy kill and if you just back up while shooting (or leap back if someone is near you) you can either put ridiculous damage on them or just get the kill. Reaper moreso than tracer because a tracer will just dart way if they start losing and you have no ability to chase.

It's also very good if you are with a Reinhardt and he has shield up and the rest of your team is dead with no rez possible. You can put out some solid damage there.

Outside of those two situations, though, I have been partial to switching to damage buff when everyone is full because I really suck at fps and can't land shots. Changing my Mercy bindings so that your beam locks on and fires without you having to hold down left or right mouse button was also a huge eye opener when I found out you could do that.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

limited posted:

One of my Mercy potg's was me healing a couple folks from near death, switching to her zapper for three kills, then back to her staff for a damage boost to our gattling gun bastion.
All those years of disc priest healing in wow finally (sort of) paying off. :unsmith:

Steve2911 posted:

Now I just need a tank to fall in love with and I'm all set forever.

The answer is D.Va. duh.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Tender Bender posted:

I was browsing the characters on the main site and skimming the little blurbs about their backgrounds, which were typically fun light fluff that you'd expect from the aesthetic. Until I got to Widowmaker who was brainwashed and murdered her husband in his sleep.

I've dug a little deeper and it turns out all of Mad Max is pretty much canon in Overwatch. That's just what Australia is now.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Ahahahshahahahahhahhahaahahwha

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

I'm the Mac at the beginning part!

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Salty as gently caress right now. Playing as Pharah on Route 66, I barraged and wiped the healer, the tank, the enemy pharah and their hanzo and allowed us to make a push onto the payload.

What was the actual POTG? Reinhardt in a tunnel swinging like a retard.

GG Blizzard.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Ddraig posted:

Salty as gently caress right now. Playing as Pharah on Route 66, I barraged and wiped the healer, the tank, the enemy pharah and someone else and allowed us to make a push onto the payload.

GG Blizzard.

Yeah you hitting Q was way more impressive.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Dick Trauma posted:

McCree's right click is literally the highest DPS in the game, even twice as much as Bastion's sentry mode (assuming you hit every shot).

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Edit: WROOOOONG thread.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

fadam posted:

Yeah you hitting Q was way more impressive.

I do happen to think a near full team wipe in the process of pushing the payload is slightly more impressive than someone literally holding M1 in the tunnel, yeah. The POTG system is loving broken as all hell.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

can you "make" baskets in the setup room? like if i put the ball through the hoop will the net swish

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Ddraig posted:

Salty as gently caress right now. Playing as Pharah on Route 66, I barraged and wiped the healer, the tank, the enemy pharah and their hanzo and allowed us to make a push onto the payload.

GG Blizzard.

Ddraig posted:

I do happen to think a near full team wipe in the process of pushing the payload is slightly more impressive than someone literally holding M1 in the tunnel, yeah. The POTG system is loving broken as all hell.

Source your quotes or else people will think you're legitimately upset about something that pointless, and that can't surely be true.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

Dick Trauma posted:

McCree's basically the 'Bastion' of the offense heroes. Like he's absolutely the slowest and least mobile of the bunch, but he's insanely powerful in an upfront fight.

His primary fire isn't even that weak, headshots of it at range can land some pretty good unexpected kills. Of course, the devastating flashbang/fan the hammer combo means that he's the end-all in taking down other flankers, which makes him an unexpectedly good defense choice.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Learning in this thread that the gorilla's shield can smother a turret's outgoing fire has given me a reason to GO APE! I want to be a big hairy wet blanket on everyone's parade.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ddraig posted:

GG Blizzard.

Playing the objective gives you bonus points because it contests/pushes the cart, so it's possible Reinhardt was within range to do that while killing people. It's a pretty objective way of looking at how beneficial certain actions are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Bluhman posted:

McCree's basically the 'Bastion' of the offense heroes. Like he's absolutely the slowest and least mobile of the bunch, but he's insanely powerful in an upfront fight.

His primary fire isn't even that weak, headshots of it at range can land some pretty good unexpected kills. Of course, the devastating flashbang/fan the hammer combo means that he's the end-all in taking down other flankers, which makes him an unexpectedly good defense choice.

he can also take off about 840 hp off reinhardt's shield in about 2 seconds so there's that too