Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Cactus posted:

I explored Farron Keep and now have no idea where to go next and the game isn't telling me.

I like not knowing where to go and having to figure it out for my loving self. I had a few bosses that I'd left in favour of exploring. I just went back and killed those bosses and they didn't yield any info on how to proceed, so I'm still in the dark. I LOVE THAT FACT!

I will now spend the next hour or so of game-time visiting every bonfire I ever saw to try to figure out where the next place is. This is fun. If you happen to be a game developer and you are reading this: Take. loving. Note.

Have you beaten the boss at the end of Farron Keep? because then explore the boss room. And if you haven't beaten the boss in Road of sacrifice/ crucifixion woods do that and proceed from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

double nine posted:

ehhh; warmth is a bit of a wet fart in DS3, just doesn't do enough healing to actually aid in any meaningful way.

I've found that to be true with pretty much all pyromancies (and miracles and sorceries too). In SoTFS, I always had Warmth and it was great for getting everyone to 100% before boss fights or when there was a safe spot and I didn't want to consume my Estus. In this game, it heals like 1% every 6 seconds or something and is completely loving useless.

Granted, I play melee and only have 20ish Int/Faith, but even Chaos Bed Vestiges does only like 400-500 dmg, which is around what a single R1 does.

Are there any staves, chimes, or talismans that will let me cast more than one type of spell? In DS2, there was the Black Witch's Staff; is there anything similar in DS3?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Gus Hobbleton posted:

You could also tell by watching the guy's video and seeing him fast forward a couple frames, marking that as frame 0, then when he got to the end of the roll going back a couple frames and calling that frame whatever.

Also, even if he HAD found something real without doctoring it, he invalidated his entire thing by changing equip weight. I could make a video of me showing that equip weight directly correlates to damage using his exact same methodology.

Honestly, the big issue is that these people need to learn how to track memory and read assembly so they can actually get an idea of how this stuff plays out internally.

Really the best way to figure out what poise does is find out where your current poise value is stored in memory, find out when it is accessed and by what routines, and then read the routines.

PS, did you get unbanned?

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 28, 2016

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

Rigged Death Trap posted:

You know I actually quute like the PVP/PVE calculation split.
It makes them able to affect one without ruining the other.

I'd be fine with it if they bothered to tell me some of the rings I'd wear would actually be useless for pvp

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

You know I actually quute like the PVP/PVE calculation split.
It makes them able to affect one without ruining the other.

It's a good idea, but it's implemented horribly. As I already mentioned it takes the Clutch rings from being worthwhile but with costs to completely worthless for PVP, which is especially dumb considering that magic and elemental weapons are already rather lovely. But they even applied this to buffs, when none of them are especially amazing, and it makes them worthless over Tears of Denial.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Salean posted:

I'd be fine with it if they bothered to tell me some of the rings I'd wear would actually be useless for pvp

Well..yeah.
It seems thats the thing with From, I love the concept, like the execution (sometimes) and hate (also sometimes) the conveyance of it.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Tallgeese posted:

Really the best way to figure out what poise does is find out where your current poise value is stored in memory, find out when it is accessed and by what routines, and then read the routines.

Assuming it is routinely accessed and not stored somewhere else as like 4 different derived variables.
Yeah DS2 and DS1 poise meters worked exactly the same way apart from their regen rate but there may be some SaGa level fuckery going on behind the scenes in DS3, theres already the sepdate PvE/P calc so who knows what the gently caress with poise.

Guess time will tell.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Yeah figuring out the clutch rings are hot garbage in PvP was disappointing.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Tallgeese posted:

Honestly, the big issue is that these people need to learn how to track memory and read assembly so they can actually get an idea of how this stuff plays out internally.

Nope. I saw the thing about them unbanning people, so I deleted my corrupted save and am going to apply for an unban in two weeks like they said.

I didn't even realize you could sniff accurately enough to find out what was accessing what that way. I can (almost) read assembly but probably not good enough to figure this poo poo out on my own.

*EDIT*
Also probably because there is nothing to figure out, as poise does nothing.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Carl Seitan posted:

I've found that to be true with pretty much all pyromancies (and miracles and sorceries too). In SoTFS, I always had Warmth and it was great for getting everyone to 100% before boss fights or when there was a safe spot and I didn't want to consume my Estus. In this game, it heals like 1% every 6 seconds or something and is completely loving useless.

Granted, I play melee and only have 20ish Int/Faith, but even Chaos Bed Vestiges does only like 400-500 dmg, which is around what a single R1 does.

Are there any staves, chimes, or talismans that will let me cast more than one type of spell? In DS2, there was the Black Witch's Staff; is there anything similar in DS3?

For pyromancies you can use the white hair talisman to cast miracles and pyromancies, but its damage output sucks compared to a pyromancy flame of equal level (and upgrades with twinkling making it even less useful)

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

double nine posted:

For pyromancies you can use the white hair talisman to cast miracles and pyromancies, but its damage output sucks compared to a pyromancy flame of equal level (and upgrades with twinkling making it even less useful)

It's a good way to consolidate your casting implements if you love buffs/support spells, though.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
are the winged knight twin axes any good? they look sick as hell but i'm not gonna farm the dude if they're worthless.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Million Ghosts posted:

are the winged knight twin axes any good? they look sick as hell but i'm not gonna farm the dude if they're worthless.

The range isn't exactly great but they do decent damage, also the weapon art is hilarious.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Insurrectionist posted:

Is it true they have been stealth nerfed?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

turtlecrunch posted:

Is it true they have been stealth nerfed?

No iirc theyve always been less effectuve in pvp.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Zombies' Downfall posted:

This is a really wrong and bizarre attitude for a person who buys things to have. A product being dysfunctional can cost a company future sales. Obviously most people didn't skip out on the Dark Souls 2 DLC and SOTFS Edition over the durability bullshit and things like Soul Memory, but I'm sure at least a few people did, and I'm sure the cost to roll out a patch that halves all current poise values and flicks on the switch that enables DkS1 poise wouldn't be staggering.

Note: I'm not even saying I give a poo poo about the poise stuff. I just don't get why you think it's smart business to basically ignore a huge segment of your player base complaining about something rather than making a token effort to change it (the real reason they haven't is probably that they're afraid of loving something else up or that they'll "do it wrong" and people will complain about that) or attempting to explain logically the design reason behind "it's working as intended".

Because it's not a dysfunctional product like everyone makes it out to be. It's just how this game plays a little differently.

There's not a lot of worry about future sales considering this game already beat all prior game records. And I think according to steam, people have already bought more deluxe edition of ds3? They've gotten their money. They intend to still provide a complete experience with the dlc.

If this was a water bottle that'd leak over years, then yes people would complain and the company would issue a statement. Because there's still lots of potential for water bottle purchases even by the same people.

If you think people are going to boycott from software over poise that's not gonna happen. And people will still buy the game without any acknowledgement of poise.

But even without poise, millions of people play and beat this game. People still do fight clubs.

Tl;dr the poise issue is a stupid issue.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Can someone link me or explain to me the PVE vs PVP calculations? I didn't realize things were different.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

EC posted:

Can someone link me or explain to me the PVE vs PVP calculations? I didn't realize things were different.

I don't have a link but offhand, spells and stuff that buff your weapons are reduced in pvp.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

My first victory against a full gank squad as an invader! So satisfying. Although horrifying at the beginning, due to the fact that I rushed them like an idiot and had to get the gently caress out of there real fast! Also there was this really annoying dude named Jon Snow that kept following me trying to kill me. I wonder what made him so angry at me, maybe it was the fact that my character's name was Reek. I dunno though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLE9m4vnPf4

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
So if you have given Ludleth the Transposing Kiln and then you kill him, can his throne still transpose things like it can after you place the cinders?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I've finally gotten to the end of NG++ and am starting to go through all the +2 rings now and what is this about a Life Ring +3? Do I really have to go to NG+++ for this one ring? Or are there two available in NG++?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

EC posted:

too lazy to find the video or reddit post that had the info (think it might have been a Damnnohtml video) but basically most buffs have their positive effects reduced and negative effects increased versus other players, though it only ever shows the PVE values on the stat pages. So the clutch rings, for example, provide a 15% boost to that element and a 10% reduction in all physical damage absorptions. Versus other players the actual numbers are 7.5% and 15%, respectively, which makes them kind of poo poo in PVP.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

Fhqwhgads posted:

I've finally gotten to the end of NG++ and am starting to go through all the +2 rings now and what is this about a Life Ring +3? Do I really have to go to NG+++ for this one ring? Or are there two available in NG++?

It's found in NG++, don't worry

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

HaB posted:

So if you have given Ludleth the Transposing Kiln and then you kill him, can his throne still transpose things like it can after you place the cinders?

Yes, as long as you do it before you light the bonfire with all four cinders. If you don't you will have to wait until NG+. He respawns if you kill him earlier anyways, though his dialogue afterwards will make you feel terrible

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

HaB posted:

he revives as soon as you reload the area, so go ahead and kill him

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Yeah it was a Damnnohtml video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJympDSm9ZE

He only goes over the numbers for a few rings but this also holds true for most of the defense buffs like Deep Protection and Sacred Oath.

e: he goes over some of the spells here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkSZk06TMDU

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 28, 2016

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Atreiden posted:

Have you beaten the boss at the end of Farron Keep? because then explore the boss room. And if you haven't beaten the boss in Road of sacrifice/ crucifixion woods do that and proceed from there.

Yep. Did that a few hours ago, it was one of those bosses I decided to leave till later, but it turns out it wasn't optional like the tree guy. Now I'm contending with never-ending zombies and a church full of roll-averse chairs.

In real life when I roll against furniture it just hurts my head and back, and the furniture doesn't break. Why in Dark souls does the furniture literally explode into pieces when I roll to it?

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Ineffiable posted:

I don't have a link but offhand, spells and stuff that buff your weapons are reduced in pvp.

Do you know if that includes the miracles that are supposed to boost physical damage by a set %?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Filthy Hans posted:

Do you know if that includes the miracles that are supposed to boost physical damage by a set %?

Yes it includes all the 'body buffs' that impact damage dealt / received such as Sacred Oath and Deep Protection. Blessed Weapon still works as advertised.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Filthy Hans posted:

It's the second video I posted above. Deep protection and sacred oath boost damage by 10%, and damage absorption by basically nothing. It's just body buffs tho, weapon buffs are accurate.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Thanks dudes

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
This game is so hard. 1 hour and I can't even get past the loading screen. :negative:

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Stupid question but I dont need to hang out in the area for wolfbro to work, right?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

TheHoosier posted:

Stupid question but I dont need to hang out in the area for wolfbro to work, right?

Nope. As long as the icon is flashing you can be summoned.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Insurrectionist posted:

Wait they are? Where is info on this? I know the RoP is garbage in PvP but this is the first I heard about the clutch rings being terrible as well.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Been invaded twice now. Kicked their rear end once, got my rear end kicked once. It only started happening once I felt like I'd over-levelled the area I'm in.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is there any way to calculate how much investment in END I'd need to tick over to another swing of my Carthus Curved Sword out of my bar? I'm getting 4 right now, but I think 5 would improve my PVP performance.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Internet Kraken posted:

Wait they are? Where is info on this? I know the RoP is garbage in PvP but this is the first I heard about the clutch rings being terrible as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJympDSm9ZE is the video that Genocyber posted with the info

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Filthy Hans posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJympDSm9ZE is the video that Genocyber posted with the info

Welp that frees up room for a carthus bloodring on my sorceress. I killed an invader with a crystal soulmass/crystal spear combo a few days ago, it was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I watched some epicnamebro videos because apparently he's the poo poo when it comes to dark souls videos. I don't think I've ever listened to a youtuber so devoid of personality. Also the way he name-drops the dark souls main producer guy and insists on putting -san after his name makes him sound like a simpering wee bow.