Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I can't play HOTS because too many years of other Blizzard games means I am sick to death of the Blizzard's Crew of characters. I still can't believe Overwatch isn't just a bunch of orcs and starcraft dudes chasing each other around a map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
To me the hots experience is.... pick the dwarf king guy and pick his alternate ult that nobody uses and try and insec kick someone with his hop and ult and see what that feels like and that's how the game feels compared to league, slow and awkward and kind of condescending.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I like HotS because I can not play it for 3 months and jump back in with some light reading, instead of a loving novel of patch notes and mechanic changes. EZ game, EZ life.

Endorph posted:

i stopped playing hots because if i saw the pirate map one more itme i was going to strangle somebody

Obviously you couldn't handle two chests at once, ya blaggard.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 28, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the visual effects in hots are so baaad, too. thrall's lightning look like the wimpiest poo poo ever even though it does like half somebody's health.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Did Thrall get reworked or something? Last I remember his lightning was basically a tickle button.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I think HotS's interface and honestly general visual presentation is a lot cleaner and nicer than DotA or LoL (as well it should be since that's Blizzard's forte) but I just couldn't get into the game. I just got bored really quick and I'm not sure why.

Nothing has any weight to it, imagine the common complaint about Irelia's Soul in League is a problem with every champion and the maps are filled with Mario Kart Blue Shells

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
You're on something

Blizzard's interfaces are straight up garbage

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Ignite Memories posted:

Did Thrall get reworked or something? Last I remember his lightning was basically a tickle button.

I just jumped back into hots for a bit after a year since the latest league patches have worn me out. Apparently they changed stat scaling from linear to exponential so thrall and actual fan fiction character E.T.C. are strong now.

Hots is tough to play just because you lose so many games by having 1-2 weak links on a team, even when you are light years ahead of the rest of the field skill wise. But they do know how to make an interesting champ. Itd never work but I'd love to see tracers passive on a league champ

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I basically never play hots anymore but every now and then when me and my friend get crazy tilted on league we'll pop in for a quick cho'gall game. It's hard to take anything too seriously when you're playing cho'gall.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
For anyone confused about what Cho'Gall is like: Imagine if you took the best hero in the game and glued him to the worst hero in the game, and the worst hero is the one that moves the amalgam hero. That's Cho'Gall. Two players piloting one hero with 4-6000 hp.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
^^^ in a game where a bunch of Champions can spec into percentage hp damage tt

If you don't think Bard is the best champ in League of Legends of any game you're a goddamn fool.

HotS is fun for short games or to try out unique mechanics aka play Abathur or cho'gall .

poo poo is great.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Bard is alright, but Janus in Smite does the portal and stun thing and has an ult which lets him shoot a global line nuke across the map (creating portals in any terrain hit). You can basically teleport your team over to a ganked ally, or backdoor the enemy base, or just give a threatened ally an ez route back to base.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
when are we gonna talk about the real OG moba, HoN

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Keven it's cool to see you can post in a normal readable way and I agree with you that yeah, a lot of characters in the S2-S3 era where they poo poo out a lot of champions that shared way too much common ground with another. Volibear still feels like he's the worst example of this, basically being an amalgamation of Mundo and Singed but itemizing for attackspeed and health. You don't like Thresh, but are there other champs that break the game as you describe it that you do enjoy? What do you mean by breaking it, anyways?

Granted there's a bunch of new champs that break the game in some bad ways. As much as I like Azir for example, that dude is Ryze-tier unbalanced in that he will either suck or be invincible. Rek'sai is probably the most tame release I think of the new champs in a while in that she is very very straightforward in what she can do but does uniquely have extremely good map mobility and her unburrow has some really fun intricacies.

Luna Was Here posted:

when are we gonna talk about the real OG moba, HoN

I've said it before and I'll say it again, that was my first big experience with goons online and it turned me off tremendously for a year or so from ever playing with them again. Funny enough, a lot of them migrated to LoL for a bit until DotA 2 released and most reside there but a few now play HotS and Overwatch.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Talking about S2 being the best champs when the start of the season was Xin followed by Vlad.

Illaoi is by far the worst new champion they made, you just walk away and there isn't anything he can do and at best the vessel is going to bait teammates into wasting skills and time.

If her tentacles didn't give the opponent gold, or actually attacked or the attack wasn't dodged by walking a little, might be ok.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Talking about S2 being the best champs when the start of the season was Xin followed by Vlad.

That was season 1.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
voli is a stupid and bad design but he's sort of so stupid and bad that it's kind of charming and he's just sorta lovable + goofy

dude just wants to flip out and summon some thunder, i can get down with that

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Volibear is completely pointless and came out at basically the same time as sejuani and shyvana, but on the other hand I like him.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Lovechop posted:

voli is a stupid and bad design but he's sort of so stupid and bad that it's kind of charming and he's just sorta lovable + goofy

dude just wants to flip out and summon some thunder, i can get down with that

Yeah, I mean he's great big stupid fun, but he is an example of a hastily created champion because they needed to keep up with some kinda champ per two-three week quota back a few years ago.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Motherfucking Iorek Byrinson is alright in my book

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

If we think about the game, we can imagine a few hard guidelines on what a champ of a certain class can do, or what an ability can do. Like if they released a guy with a 4 second stun, that would break the game because that full stop isn't something that you're allowed to have in league. To me, stuff like azir auto attacks, windwall, lantern, are all over that line. I'm not talking about power level, exactly.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Bard's combined stun time is over 4 seconds, if you've got the CDR to chain QRQ

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...

Lovechop posted:

when the taliyah designer guy asked for people's advice on the boards everyone told him that her mechanics were annoying and her combos didn't feel right he was just like "you're wrong" lol

most recent champs have been really uninspired to me. just random cookie-cutter stuff, i think a lot of the designers atm are kinda lame

zenonthestoic also made lucian and tahm kench, and was a worst caster than rivington the 3rd

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I mean yeah and like naut can lock someone up for 4 or 5 seconds and same for a few other very cc heavy champs with cdr but that's different than having a 5 second ashe arrow or something.

RYang
Dec 5, 2012
Ashe has a 3.5-second stun.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Frankly I don't think league pushes the envelope ENOUGH with champions. I wanna see some loving lost Vikings poo poo up in here.

Could you even imagine abathur on summoner's rift? Now THAT would break the game wide open.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
E: I think that league works pretty well as is; those things work and are really fun in hots but wouldn't mesh very well in League, something like Abathur especially would basically mean you're playing a whole different game but only when he's in it which isn't worth it imo.

Re ashe stun: But it's super conditional (aka it has to travel hella far) and telegraphed as gently caress, and any champ with flash has counterplay available. Buzzword or no, there are generally more opportunities to react or play around stuff in League which.

foutre fucked around with this message at 00:06 on May 29, 2016

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Fid and Rammus used to have 3 second stuns, until they got cut down to 2 seconds when everyone realized that 3 seconds is a very, very long time to disable some jumpy assassin in the middle of your team.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

This is why I stopped posting here, I'm trying to have an actual conversation and poindexter needs to push his glasses up and let me know that well ACTUALLY, uh, weird edge case that has no bearing on what you're talking about, so you see,

RYang
Dec 5, 2012
Sorry for interrupting your discussion of how super long stuns can't ever be in league ever by pointing out that they're already here. Please resume your explanation of how Karthus and Orianna are pretty much the same champion because their laning phases both involve killing minions to gain gold.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
when was the last yordle released?

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
People not understanding Keven's point are either being willfully dense or just stupid, and should stop either way

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Kashuno posted:

Gnar, August 2014. Or if he doesn't count, Lulu, March 2012.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Kashuno posted:

If you don't count Gnar, it was Lulu in March 2012.

e: drat bopped.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i disagree with keven but i disagree with his actual argument, i dont disagree with him on the basis of 'well if ashe hits an arrow from across the entire map it's a 4 second stun, have fun sitting in your fountain :smugdog:'

because that is completely pointless. actually talk about his argument not some random factoid. the four second stun thing was just an example, whether or not some edge case 4 second stuns exist isn't really the point.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anyway my basic argument for stuff like windwall or lantern is, well, there shouldn't really be 'hard rules' on what can and can't be done in the game, it should be about whether that's a good mechanic. Like, if Blitz, Thresh, and Naut didn't exist, and then Blitz was released tomorrow, he'd be a champion built entirely around pulling an enemy champion in, which before would have only been possible with like, insec lee or janna ults. He'd have a 'mechanic that breaks the rules' but nobody would argue that Blitz somehow breaks the game.

Windwall is fine because it's kinda small and has a long CD so while it can shut you down in some instances it can also be played around. Azir's autoattacks are fine because he basically just has a long AOE autoattack and 'don't let the soldiers stab you' is an easy thing to account for. Thresh lantern is fine because they can't use it to get out of CC and you can also stand on it to block them. They're all good mechanics that add to the game, just because they're unique to those champions doesn't make them bad.

And if you think about it, a lot of champions have some mechanic that 'breaks the rules.' Graves is the only champion with an autoattack that benefits from shotgunning it. Eve is the only champion with permastealth. Bard is the only champion who can do whatever the hell you'd call Magical Journey.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 29, 2016

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Why wouldn't you count Gnar? He's a cave-yordle but he's definitely a yordle.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
skarner completely changes the map in games he is in!!!!

i wish he could completely change his kit into something fun again

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Ultimately "breaking the rules" is worse of a measurement than "how easy is it to pull off this unique and unconventional ability, and how can the enemy avoid or mitigate it".

Wind Wall is difficult to use, especially in a way that lets you negate a skill with a longer cooldown than it, as an example. Its not fun for the enemy to fall prey to, but the enemy has to play very poorly to play into it.

I love everything about Tahm Kench, but I will admit that he's total bullshit: even though his devour has telegraphed elements with the requirement of applying his passive, the skills to apply that passive have either absurd range or a huge slow. His damage mitigation has only one avenue of counterplay: force him to waste the heal on an enormous shield (which requires you overextend to bring him near-death, and once the shield is up he instantly has more resources to kill -you- than you expended to try to kill him). And on top of both of those he can render priority targets untargetable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

Endorph posted:

anyway my basic argument for stuff like windwall or lantern is, well, there shouldn't really be 'hard rules' on what can and can't be done in the game, it should be about whether that's a good mechanic. Like, if Blitz, Thresh, and Naut didn't exist, and then Blitz was released tomorrow, he'd be a champion built entirely around pulling an enemy champion in, which before would have only been possible with like, insec lee or janna ults. He'd have a 'mechanic that breaks the rules' but nobody would argue that Blitz somehow breaks the game.

Windwall is fine because it's kinda small and has a long CD so while it can shut you down in some instances it can also be played around. Azir's autoattacks are fine because he basically just has a long AOE autoattack and 'don't let the soldiers stab you' is an easy thing to account for. Thresh lantern is fine because they can't use it to get out of CC and you can also stand on it to block them. They're all good mechanics that add to the game, just because they're unique to those champions doesn't make them bad.

And if you think about it, a lot of champions have some mechanic that 'breaks the rules.' Graves is the only champion with an autoattack that benefits from shotgunning it. Eve is the only champion with permastealth. Bard is the only champion who can do whatever the hell you'd call Magical Journey.

Everybody gets to "break the rules" a little bit, that's a fun thing about league, I agree. I think when you take that too far without also being over powered it isn't that fun though because you end up with dumb minigames like skarner that are different pretty much different for the sake of being different.

I'd say that if there were no pulls in the game and blitz was added tomorrow yeah, that would be a HUGE deal and would have a gigantic impact on the game. It wouldn't be over powered if the game otherwise looked the same, but if league grew from ground zero with no must dodge terror skillshots like that it would probably have had a big effect on what kind of skills champs have. It's all relative to the ability and general pace of other champs.

So when I'm saying break the game, I'm not saying it's some hard rule about what thou shall not do in a MOBA, but rather something that pushes the boundaries of what riot themselves think is possible or healthy. Since dude brought up ashe arrow, that's a good example. I'd say it's kind of a rule at riot that ADC ults should be for lane phase or generally not have very strong teamfight/engage impact, and when you look at the champs that break that rule like sivir kalista or ashe they tend to either be completely out of meta or the best pick possible, depending on their general strength otherwise. Like after eating two rounds of nerfs kalista was banned or first pick for a ton of the last split because hey if a champ is generally good and they can also do something that they shouldn't be able to it gives you a ton of comp freedom if not overall power.

So when you break those rules it doesn't make a champ over powered by default but it puts the champ in a bad situation where they tend to seesaw between one of the best champs in the game and complete gutter trash garbage, which I think is bad balance.

• Locked thread