Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tales of Woe posted:

I started in season 4 and jinx was new so that doesn't seem right but yeah those others are good

Edit whoops I'm dumb thought we were talking about just s2

Jinx was the last champ released in S3. The first champion released in S4 was Azir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

Bard: He feels like they kind of just combined all the most out there abilities they had and accidentally made them all cohesive with each other. Like him stunning people as they pop out of his journey doesn't *feel* intentional, but it's in there and it works. 7.5/10

I'm not sure why you don't think that's intentional. Like that's pretty much the entire point of that specific interaction.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not sure why you don't think that's intentional. Like that's pretty much the entire point of that specific interaction.
Yeah I get that but it doesn't feel that way you know? like when you do that thing you feel like maybe the cops are gonna bust into your place and take you to Anti-Fun Jail, where the only counterplay is paying your bail and fleeing to mexico. Maybe I just don't give Riot champ design enough credit, but on the other hand, Ekko.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Endorph posted:

Jinx was the last champ released in S3. The first champion released in S4 was Azir.

Azir came out like a year after Jinx I don't think that Riot's release schedule was ever that bad

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Ekko was a fun champion that unintentionally makes a good tank and jungler and Riot has no idea how to balance him around that anymore because they refuse to admit that he's better there than in the mid lane.

There are a lot of champions that would be so much better if Riot would give up on the idea of containing them to the role they intend that champion on being and worked around it. Like Mordekaiser, who's not getting reworked again.

And yet, Graves and Quinn were pushed out of being AD Carries to make way for Mordekaiser who's now unbalanceable.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Firebert posted:

Azir came out like a year after Jinx I don't think that Riot's release schedule was ever that bad
You're right, the LoL wiki released the champs released in Season 4 in alphabetical order.

Jinx was the last champ in season 3 tho. Yasuo was released in the preseason and the first champ of 2014 was Vel'Koz.

RealFoxy posted:

Ekko was a fun champion that unintentionally makes a good tank and jungler and Riot has no idea how to balance him around that anymore because they refuse to admit that he's better there than in the mid lane.
Ekko is fun to play as but as a tank he's really frustrating to play against since he simultaneously has so many escape tools, a decent amount of damage, and a lot of health.

Basically they made a champion with a really overloaded kit and then just expected people to build him super squishy on the honor system. If you reworked him a little - not even a full rework just some CD/scaling tweaks you could make him a good, well-balanced tank but instead they seem really married to him being this super squishy AP assassin, as if the game needs more super squishy assassins with tons of blinks.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
when the taliyah designer guy asked for people's advice on the boards everyone told him that her mechanics were annoying and her combos didn't feel right he was just like "you're wrong" lol

most recent champs have been really uninspired to me. just random cookie-cutter stuff, i think a lot of the designers atm are kinda lame

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
the last bunch of champions are infinitely cooler than earlier champs

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Ziggs is awesome because hes designed to be a very simple to understand hero (for both the person playing him and his opponents) but whos kit combines to give him a very unique niche (zoning enemies by making them choose to be zoned rather than outright denying movement). He's a lot like Myrmidon in that he doesn't outright accomplish his goal, but the natural counterplay response means that he may as well be throwing walls.

If he was made today his passive would cause his casted abilities to grant Hextech Fireworks, which make his attacks AoE and grant additional effects based on the last 3 abilities casted. His ult would have no cooldown but instead be based on a (very inaccurate and buggy) measurement of how much extra distance enemies have had to traverse to avoid your skills.

I'd give Taliyah less than a 5, because even without Worked Ground her kit is literally a more confusing and underpowered version of Ziggs' kit.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

idk when i think about the best champions in the game i just think about dudes who hit buttons to do stuff and have a clear direction for which buttons they shoudl push and what they want to do with those buttons that do stuff

someone mentioned rumble as a good champ design and i agree, he just wants to poo poo out aoe damage and his 'gimmick' just makes him think about when and where to press the buttons, he doesn't need to juggle fifteen barrels while standing on his head and waiting for an ally attack on certain types of terrain

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Neurolimal posted:

I'd give Taliyah less than a 5, because even without Worked Ground her kit is literally a more confusing and underpowered version of Ziggs' kit.
her wall is a cool and useful ability and the kit should have been built around that better

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

Neurolimal posted:

Ziggs is awesome because hes designed to be a very simple to understand hero (for both the person playing him and his opponents) but whos kit combines to give him a very unique niche (zoning enemies by making them choose to be zoned rather than outright denying movement). He's a lot like Myrmidon in that he doesn't outright accomplish his goal, but the natural counterplay response means that he may as well be throwing walls.

Like many champs from his era, he's exactly the same as at least two champs that already existed (karthus ori and xerath in his case) but better so everyone has to buy him.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Work Friend Keven posted:

Like many champs from his era, he's exactly the same as at least two champs that already existed (karthus ori and xerath in his case) but better so everyone has to buy him.
i can see the xerath comparison but he isn't really that similar to karthus or ori besides being an aoe mage. karthus's abilities are all super short range and ori is more CC focused

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
If you like ziggs thats fine he's a decent mage concept attached to a fun character but there was no reason for him to exist, nor is there now.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if you wanna hate on season 2 champs who have no reason to exist at least bust out aatrox

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

Endorph posted:

i can see the xerath comparison but he isn't really that similar to karthus or ori besides being an aoe mage

He plays almost identical to karthus, especially pre getting his satchel reworked/karthus's wall getting hosed, and his lane phase was identical to oris when they came out.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ziggs stays on the backline of a fight throwing bombs. karthus waddles into the middle of the teamfight with his e up while spamming /dance

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Work Friend Keven posted:

He plays almost identical to karthus, especially pre getting his satchel reworked/karthus's wall getting hosed, and his lane phase was identical to oris when they came out.

... Huh?

Ziggs stays on the backline and pokes and doesn't ever want to be close, Karthus's major damage primarily comes from his giant fuckingoff AoE-around-him aura. They literally don't play anything alike.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

As much as I personally hate a champ like thresh who completely breaks what's supposed to be possible in the game (like a lot of certainly T's champs) at least he's doing new things in distinct ways. Like you'd never confuse a thresh hook with a blitz hook or a thresh engage with a leona engage.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Endorph posted:

if you wanna hate on season 2 champs who have no reason to exist at least bust out aatrox

Aka Maliken, going back to the incestual nature of MOBA's.

It would have been cool if Taliyah's abilities used or originated from the walls, which would naturally synergize with her ultimate. Speaking of walls and bad designs Riot should have realized they were sitting on a turd when the only way to make her viable was to let her heal to full HP off of Qing an immobile spirit once using the physability lifesteal item released alongside her.

TT was so miserable until Illaoi got nerfed. Her + more unnecessary Veigar nerfs were what made me stick to just playing HotS and Smite instead.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Neurolimal posted:

Aka Maliken, going back to the incestual nature of MOBA's.
tbh giving him maliken's sword toss/blink would have made him actually good

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Endorph posted:

Aatrox was season 3.

Endorph posted:

Braum: Good solid tank support with a clear and cohesive kit. 8/10

Gnar: Solid transform champion. It sucks feeling a little underpowered if you go into a fight with an empty rage meter but that's your own fault most of the time. 7.5/10
Braum is over 2 years old, Gnar is close to 2 :colbert:

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

ImpAtom posted:

... Huh?

Ziggs stays on the backline and pokes and doesn't ever want to be close, Karthus's major damage primarily comes from his giant fuckingoff AoE-around-him aura. They literally don't play anything alike.

They're both basically Varus if you think about it.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

... Huh?

They're both wave clear / zone control with no hard cc designed to fart aoe damage at the cost of a big cc engage ult, that ziggs gets to do it from complete safety and karthus has to wisely use his passive to win fights is why karthus is a good interesting champ and ziggs is trash.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

Ori is more of a classic mage with utility and a more standard cc ult there I'm mostly comparing their laning.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if we're comparing laning then wow, gnar and sivir have the exact saming laning phase

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Basically every champ is gnar

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

They don't, Gnar actually has teemos laning phase but turns into renekton sometimes.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
gnar (used to) bully a lot matchups, sivir loses lane

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Every champion uses attacks and abilities to farm minions in order to get gold so they can deal damage to the enemy in order to take turrets. Honestly they're all basically the same thing.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
i respect keven

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i get the feeling he doesn't respect me

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
When you really think about it every hero is either a Warwick ripoff that jungles or an Ashe ripoff that lanes

Abathur is the only REAL new hero in a decade

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Neurolimal posted:

When you really think about it every hero is either a Warwick ripoff that jungles or an Ashe ripoff that lanes

Abathur is the only REAL new hero in a decade
murky is legitimately a great hero design

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

One thing I notice about Dota vs League design is Dota is more willing to have a champ that has a Problem, or isn't very strong in a self-contained way. Look at Ancient Apparition: a delayed conditional stun he has basically no way of guaranteeing, a ranged aoe mild slow that's kinda good with the rest of his kit, an aoe autoattack buff that he's bad at personally using, and a global snipe-y anti-heal ult. As a cohesive design he's pretty goddamn terrible and he only really functions as part of a team. BUT he's not bad at all, he's very powerful under the right circumstances, has variable skill orders depending on circumstances, and is (subjectively) a really interesting and cool design. League largely avoids 'dangling' abilities that require other champions to work.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

HOTS actually has some interesting and cool ability sets, which are unfortunately trapped in that weird scavenger hunt factory with the inexplicable and game killing global cool down, as well.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i stopped playing hots because if i saw the pirate map one more itme i was going to strangle somebody

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Endorph posted:

i stopped playing hots because if i saw the pirate map one more itme i was going to strangle somebody

Pretty much everyone hates that map. I usually swith over to another moba after a match of BHB.

Aside from thatthat map objectives aren't bad, and the randomized map selection helps solve the issue of mode variety vs. splintering the playerbase.

The lack of items also means some of their weirder designs are possible: Cho'Gall would be a 100% trap pick in a game where anyone can buy Bloodrazor or Ruined King or Illandrys.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
you know what people hate about mobas? carrying - some blizzard guy, probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think HotS's interface and honestly general visual presentation is a lot cleaner and nicer than DotA or LoL (as well it should be since that's Blizzard's forte) but I just couldn't get into the game. I just got bored really quick and I'm not sure why.

• Locked thread