Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Furnaceface posted:

The house down the street from me has been flipped 3 times at ever increasing costs without a single person living in it and none of the flipping part has ever actually been finished. Half the house is still torn apart and yet it just keeps selling to be flipped to a flipper to flip to a flipper...

Hey it's keeping the economy afloat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

HookShot posted:

You guys are missing out if you haven't seen THE WOLF OF WHISTLER's youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95dRwxMV7iY

For like a year at least 50% of the time I'd get a YT ad before a video it would be one of these.

Also now real estate ads here show prices in USD as well as CAD. Prices have DEFINITELY gone up ridiculously since around 2012 or so. A girl I know whose parents are house flippers bought a house to flip recently and two weeks after they closed before they started any work on it got an offer for $50k more than what they paid.

of all of the imagery that you could use to brand yourself, why in the world would you choose the one that makes people think "insatiable hunter who will rip out your throat with it's buddies"

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

PT6A posted:

Which is dumber: buying a pre-sale condo or buying a pre-sale car?

Taking out a HELOC on your pre-sale condo to afford your pre-sale car.

This is probably not an actual thing you can do but I'm certain that somebody has found a way.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

TeenageArchipelago posted:

of all of the imagery that you could use to brand yourself, why in the world would you choose the one that makes people think "insatiable hunter who will rip out your throat with it's buddies"

The people his business model caters to are not exactly the most stable or healthy minded.

Vancouverites

meatcookie
Jun 2, 2007

Cultural Imperial posted:

for posterity

gently caress this guy

Baseball bat to the head. One of the nice aluminum ones so it makes that 'toonk' sound when it hits bone.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

for posterity

gently caress this guy

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

jm20 posted:

I saw a house for 850, so I offered 875 as a bully, and was laughed out because they wanted 940 for a house that needs tons of work :downs:

Similar thing happened to me a few weeks ago. We bid 50k over on a house that needed a ton of work, it sold for 175k over. Completely nuts.

Strangely we did find a house since and got it without a bidding war. The "trick" was to find one that was already fixed up and cut all the flippers/renovators/deal hunters out of the buyer pool.

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Similar thing happened to me a few weeks ago. We bid 50k over on a house that needed a ton of work, it sold for 175k over. Completely nuts.

Strangely we did find a house since and got it without a bidding war. The "trick" was to find one that was already fixed up and cut all the flippers/renovators/deal hunters out of the buyer pool.

But then how are you going to build sweat equity if it's already fixed?????

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
After all that's been posted in this loving thread for the past 4 years you loving morons are still buying

No problem here u guys

namaste friends fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 28, 2016

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

So you're the one keeping flippers in business. I bet that granite countertop is nice.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

After all that's been posted in this loving thread for the past 4 years you loving morons are still buying

http://imgur.com/pVud782

No problem here u guys

Ehh, on the one hand, you have a point. On the other, you only live once and just because you happen to have been born 15 years too late to buy a house like a normal person doesn't mean you shouldn't just just live your life the way you want. The people who grew up during the great depression were so damaged buy it that the never really recovered, why let other people's lovely decisions affect you? Just do what you want and hope for the best.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Ya I mean, the largest amount of money you'll ever spent in a single purchase on anything

Hmm careful comprehensive risk analysis? Nah just #yolo

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

HookShot posted:

You guys are missing out if you haven't seen THE WOLF OF WHISTLER's youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95dRwxMV7iY

For like a year at least 50% of the time I'd get a YT ad before a video it would be one of these.

Also now real estate ads here show prices in USD as well as CAD. Prices have DEFINITELY gone up ridiculously since around 2012 or so. A girl I know whose parents are house flippers bought a house to flip recently and two weeks after they closed before they started any work on it got an offer for $50k more than what they paid.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Ya I mean, the largest amount of money you'll ever spent in a single purchase on anything

Hmm careful comprehensive risk analysis? Nah just #yolo

All of the YOLO people I've met are very happy, so sure.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
See this is what happens when money becomes worthless

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

HookShot posted:

The Wolf of Whistler would be a good title for a gay romance novel

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

See this is what happens when money becomes worthless

This, but unironically. If money can't buy you what you want, what good is it? It might as well be beaver pelts. Now that I think about it, are beaver pelts accepted as currency in Canada?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Dropping a cool million dollars and willfully indebting yourself for life, so you can own some rickety shitbox in the 'burbs, doesn't really scream "YOLO" to me. Rather it seems like a terrible waste of a persons limited time on earth: ensuring that they will be locked into working until they die in order to pay off the debt and never having time to meaningfully explore the world around them.

I guess some people are just really into BDSM. :shrug:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

That commercial was amazing, couldn't decide whether it was serious or a parody of real estate agents.

Glad to see how the guy combined the dishonesty of a real estate agent with a west coast tech bro aesthetic.

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go

MickeyFinn posted:

Ehh, on the one hand, you have a point. On the other, you only live once and just because you happen to have been born 15 years too late to buy a house like a normal person doesn't mean you shouldn't just just live your life the way you want. The people who grew up during the great depression were so damaged buy it that the never really recovered, why let other people's lovely decisions affect you? Just do what you want and hope for the best.

lol

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

meatcookie posted:

Baseball bat to the head. One of the nice aluminum ones so it makes that 'toonk' sound when it hits bone.

Point of fact: Aluminum bats go *ping* when they hit skull.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvvJYVL7Bpk

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

mastershakeman posted:

So you're the one keeping flippers in business. I bet that granite countertop is nice.

They are!

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

No problem here u guys

That 2015-16 spike in detached homes is unreal.

There was a big housing crash in 1980 but it just looks like a blip on this chart now.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Rime posted:

Dropping a cool million dollars and willfully indebting yourself for life, so you can own some rickety shitbox in the 'burbs, doesn't really scream "YOLO" to me. Rather it seems like a terrible waste of a persons limited time on earth: ensuring that they will be locked into working until they die in order to pay off the debt and never having time to meaningfully explore the world around them.

I guess some people are just really into BDSM. :shrug:

Totally agreed, but housing is mega important to a lot of people. If back country camping permits or sail boat houses or whatever weird poo poo you are interested in (living in vans?) was being bid up by Chinese investors, local flippers and boomers accustomed to always having one, would you spend your life waiting to do those things you want to do, or would you just do them anyway? You'd probably do them illegally, which is the point. I'm not advocating sailing to France despite the weather. But if they have reason to believe the metaphorical weather will never break because so many people are invested in it staying stormy, I have a bit of admiration for people who brave it because they really want to see France.

VVV Housing is a hell of a drug. VVV

MickeyFinn fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 28, 2016

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

MickeyFinn posted:

Totally agreed, but housing is mega important to a lot of people. If back country camping permits or sail boat houses or whatever weird poo poo you are interested in (living in vans?) was being bid up by Chinese investors, local flippers and boomers accustomed to always having one, would you spend your life waiting to do those things you want to do, or would you just do them anyway? You'd probably do them illegally, which is the point. I'm not advocating sailing to France despite the weather. But if they have reason to believe the metaphorical weather will never break because so many people are invested in it staying stormy, I have a bit of admiration for people who brave it because they really want to see France.

lol what the gently caress? dude, tcc is a few forums down

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

No problem here u guys

To be fair, the parabolic nature of the most recent spike is explained by the shittiness of the Canadian dollar.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Hahaha yeah that's what it is

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

No problem here u guys

I really wish they added average wage/income/whatever to these charts just to put it in perspective how much more debt people really are taking on.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Triglav posted:

To be fair, the parabolic nature of the most recent spike is explained by the shittiness of the Canadian dollar.

The weak dollar is a contributing factor, but recall that the dollar was around the 0.65 cents mark in the 90s when housing prices were flat. Speculation has also always existed and been a major factor in the housing market. That (now comparatively minor) peak and trough around 1980s was a period of epic speculation followed by interest rates leaping several points to the 18-21% area which caused everything to crash down.

The massive recent spike is best explained by new circumstances and new variables introduced after 2002, or if we want to reset post us housing bust, after 2008.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Femtosecond posted:

There was a big housing crash in 1980 but it just looks like a blip on this chart now.

If only someone would invent some kind of... irregularly spaced scaling to show fractional changes in quantities instead of absolute ones.

Inflation adjustment wouldn't hurt either.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

Femtosecond posted:

The weak dollar is a contributing factor, but recall that the dollar was around the 0.65 cents mark in the 90s when housing prices were flat. Speculation has also always existed and been a major factor in the housing market. That (now comparatively minor) peak and trough around 1980s was a period of epic speculation followed by interest rates leaping several points to the 18-21% area which caused everything to crash down.

The massive recent spike is best explained by new circumstances and new variables introduced after 2002, or if we want to reset post us housing bust, after 2008.

Right, but in simple terms, Canadian dollars are worth approximately 25% less today than they were in 2013. From that alone you can presume, no other factors changed, which I know is overly simple but bear with me, that any asset purchased in 2013 has appreciated 25% against the Canadian dollar.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/may/27/austerity-policies-do-more-harm-than-good-imf-study-concludes

quote:

Austerity policies do more harm than good, IMF study concludes

A strong warning that austerity policies can do more harm than good has been delivered by economists from the International Monetary Fund, in a critique of the neoliberal doctrine that has dominated economics for the past three decades. In an article seized on by the shadow chancellor, John McDonnell, the IMF economists said rising inequality was bad for growth and that governments should use controls to cope with destabilising capital flows.

Good news everyone!

Like literal good news. gently caress the IMF for taking so long to realize this.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Arglebargle pipelines Harper open text austerity prosperity bkargle blargle

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

Frankly I'm surprised an international banker whose livelihood depends on national bankers borrowing from them would promote expanding national balance sheets.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

Triglav posted:

Right, but in simple terms, Canadian dollars are worth approximately 25% less today than they were in 2013. From that alone you can presume, no other factors changed, which I know is overly simple but bear with me, that any asset purchased in 2013 has appreciated 25% against the Canadian dollar.

If houses were an import item or something, sure. The market for residential housing should primarily be domestic. Canadian housing shouldn't respond as if it were priced in American dollars.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

apatheticman posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/may/27/austerity-policies-do-more-harm-than-good-imf-study-concludes

Good news everyone!

Like literal good news. gently caress the IMF for taking so long to realize this.

The IMF's research arm has been dropping studies concluding that the executive arms policy packages suck for as long as I can remember. If the members of the World Bank group and subsequently the IMF believes in austerity the IMF will keep austering.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-05-27/miami-s-condo-frenzy-ends-with-inventory-piling-up-in-new-towers

quote:

Miami’s Condo Frenzy Ends With Inventory Piling Up in New Towers

Miami’s crop of new condo towers, built with big deposits from Latin American buyers and lots of marketing glitz, are opening with many owners heading for the exits.

A third of the units in some newly built high-rises are back on the market, though most are listed for more than their owners paid in the pre-construction phase. At the current sales pace, it would take 29 months to sell the 3,397 condominiums available in the downtown area, according to South Florida development tracker CraneSpotters.com.

With the U.S. dollar strong, South American investors who piled into the downtown Miami market after the real estate crash are now trying to unload their recently built condos, adding inventory to an area where 8,000 units are under construction and nine towers were completed since the end of 2013. Some are offering homes at a loss as demand cools. Condo purchases from January through April slid 25 percent from a year earlier, while the average price fell 6 percent on a per-square-foot basis, CraneSpotters data show.

“The problem is that investors are no longer buying, and now they’re going to be looking to sell,” said Jack McCabe, a housing consultant based in Deerfield Beach, Florida. “And what buyers are going to replace those other than vulture buyers looking for deals?”

Lower Prices

Investors have much more at stake than the speculators who walked away from deals in last decade’s crash and left the market with thousands of unsold homes. In the latest construction boom, projects required cash deposits of as much as 60 percent, and contracts had stiff cancellation penalties.

Because owners of condos in new towers signed contracts over the course of a couple years, it’s difficult to know how many made purchases at prices above today’s values, said William Hardin, a professor of finance and real estate at Florida International University in Miami.

“The people who bought at the beginning are probably below where the market is today, but some bought later, at higher prices,” he said.

After several price cuts, one Brazilian owner at Related Group’s new Icon Bay tower is offering his two-bedroom condo for $539,000, 7 percent less than he paid in July. It’s now one of 100 listings in the 299-unit building.

“We are now the most affordable unit in Icon,” said listing agent Anthony Giuffrida of Elite International Realty. “To sell it quick, you have to put it at the right price.”

Seller Patience

Sellers need to be patient because the worst time to sell is right after a building opens, especially in “decorator-ready” projects where owners must install flooring and finishes and “elevators are overused, there is construction traffic, etc.,” said Jorge Perez, founder of Miami-based Related Group, one of South Florida’s most prolific developers. So far, only a couple Icon Bay owners have sold units without making a profit -- probably due to personal financial circumstances, he said.

“When this happens, pricing is affected, particularly in a market that is not booming,” Perez wrote in an e-mail. “Miami’s market has slowed down (but is definitely still active) and sellers need to have the necessary patience to let the project mature and the market to rebound as it has always done in the past.”

The strong rental market is giving many would-be sellers the opportunity to cover their costs. But there’s also a flood of new, professionally managed apartments under construction. And apartment vacancies in the downtown Miami area rose to 11.8 percent in the first quarter, double the rate two years earlier, according to property-data provider Reis Inc.

“The ticking time bomb is based on rental rates,” said Peter Zalewski, owner of CraneSpotters. “When some of the foreign investors sitting on the sidelines have to dig into their pockets and subsidize renters, that’s the fuse that will lead to a correction.”

Black, Griffin

At Faena House, the new Miami Beach tower known for its billionaire residents, those with units on the market include Apollo Global Management LLC founder Leon Black, investor Ken Griffin and former Saks Inc. Chief Executive Officer Stephen Sadove, who recently lowered his asking price by almost 11 percent to $12.95 million.

Some sellers still will make a profit after cutting their prices, said Mark Zilbert, managing broker at the Miami office of Brown Harris Stevens. The exchange rate provides a buffer for some foreign investors. In the past three years, the Brazilian real has fallen 43 percent against the U.S. dollar, and the Venezuelan bolivar declined 37 percent.

Many owners are viewing the new towers with a sense of disappointment because they may not look as fabulous as they did in renderings, and prices haven’t risen as much as they expected, Zilbert said.

“There’s always a glitzy selling process that happens, and they believe it,” he said. “They don’t think about the economy -- they think about the building and how wonderful it will be.”
Manageable Inventory

While some new towers have a large number of condos being flipped by their owners, an inventory glut will be mitigated by minimal competition from developers, who have a majority of their units under contract, data from Miami’s Downtown Development Authority show.

“The inventory under construction is manageably pre-sold, and the pipeline of new projects in reservations and contracts is shrinking,” according to an authority report prepared by Integra Realty Resources Inc. analysts. “Investors, bankers and developers are rightfully approaching the market with caution, and a heightened sense of the need for better due diligence.”

Of 14 new Miami towers from downtown to Sunny Isles, the share of resale listings ranged from about 7 percent at MyBrickell tower to about 40 percent at 400 Sunny Isles, according to a report this month by Andrew Stearns, founder of StatFunding.com, which provides residential mortgages for foreign nationals. A healthy building should have no more than about 10 percent of its units up for resale at any given time, Zalewski said.

“The concern is we’re in a price-discovery phase, and the prices people are trying to get for their condos is a lot higher than the market will bear,” Stearns said. “That may signal a coming price correction.”

guys i don't understand how this could be happening i mean miami is running out of land and everyone wants to live there it's just simple laws of SUPPLY and DEMAND right

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/601-NE-36th-St-APT-1412-Miami-FL-33137/2099032492_zpid/

god loving drat it doesn't cost that much to live like a loving drug dealer

contrast with this:

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Single-Family/16844957/804-1661-ONTARIO-STREET-Vancouver-British-Columbia-V5Y0C3

i guess you gotta realign your expectations if you want to live in the best place on earth

btw, that miami condo is 1870 sqft vs 1189 sqft for best place on earth.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

T.C. posted:

If houses were an import item or something, sure. The market for residential housing should primarily be domestic. Canadian housing shouldn't respond as if it were priced in American dollars.

Unfortunately 60% of the Canadian dollar is backed by American dollars, in an American dollar denominated balance sheet held by the Bank of Canada.

Asset weakness results in a higher exchange rates between that asset and others. What I'm saying is that assets previously priced in Canadian dollars are now priced higher, intrinsic values unchanged, due to the Canadian dollar's weakness against its backing assets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Furnaceface posted:

I really wish they added average wage/income/whatever to these charts just to put it in perspective how much more debt people really are taking on.

With apologies to Subjunctive who made this joke upthread, it's the black line on the bottom. There has been zero real wage growth for anyone who isn't wealthy in basically forever.