Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Len posted:

Hotter than 8?

Hey now, issue 8 was good while you could cheat the achievements and get funky clothes. Obviously a fix to that was top priority over everything else!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Len posted:

Hotter than 8?
Having been talked into trying my first ever scenario by a friend recently, I can safely say: no, not that bad. :v: It's a pretty loving aggravating slog in places though, in accordance with their design team's motto - "buy us some time".

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Pilchenstein posted:

Issue 14 is some hot loving garbage.

Oh, it's a downer, Chuck. When you find out that Robin Hood is Bluebeard.

I know, Chuck. But the buzzing voices say-say-say! That's got to be distracting. All those alien voices pretending to be one thing-like a two hundred pounds of crickets pilling into a man's suit and waving at you. That static's got to put you off balance something fierce, Chuck. Hard to get a beat on morality.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

orcane posted:

Hey now, issue 8 was good while you could cheat the achievements and get funky clothes. Obviously a fix to that was top priority over everything else!

The only broken cheevo they rolled back. I wanted my Ghostbusters costume with no work drat it.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Pilchenstein posted:

Issue 14 is some hot loving garbage.

Issue 14 has a terrible sabatoge mission, followed up by one of the more interesting boss fights in the game

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.
It's not a sabotage mission though, it's an investigation mission. At least according to the game. Actually it's both mashed together and that's a horrible combination. Solving investigation mission puzzles while dodging instagib mummies is the worst. Worse than Cost of Magic even cause at least you can cheese your way through that if you don't care about achievements.

The boss fight is cool though, I'll give them that. Though I could do without the random 90% healing/damage debuff you get for it. There's got to be a better way of balancing for people with super amazing gear than that.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
The boss fight was really cool, yeah. That investotage mission was super loving dreadful though, I got to it just after they'd given the "one hour until maintenance" warning and decided to wait until after the reboot and holy poo poo was that the right decision, it took loving ages. My favourite part was how they give you a buff saying "don't fall into any pits", then the solution to crossing the first pit is at the bottom of the pit. I spent more time than I care to count backtracking and looking for clues. :argh:

It was really good xp but I bet that since it's listed as an investigation the reward for repeating it is shite.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I have some strange and confusing news, all

things are looking up for funcom

https://twitter.com/funcom/status/735819034659291136

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Please don't invest this into another MMO.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
This just in: Funcom invests $1 million into R&D on wave combat scenarios.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

macnbc posted:

This just in: Funcom invests $1 million into R&D on wave combat scenarios.

:laffo:

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Well, "The Bank Heist" is now winning the award for how many times this poo poo can make me say "Oh for gently caress's sake" in a single mission.

I'm up to about 30.

Edit: Oh for gently caress's sake! I finally get past the horribly designed area with the two standing and one wanderer, get to a door watched by one guard, scan him, reboot him, and run past. I get "hey! stop there!" and a literally incapacitated guard with the symbol over his head playing the reboot animation hovers over to me and sends me back to start, AGAIN.

This tedious horribly-designed bullshit would be bad enough if it wasn't ALSO bugged all to hell! Christ.

Edit: I think what happened there is I didn't notice the floor tiles, or realize they actually notify the guard rather than give you some floor-tile-specific fail so I didn't realize that's what happened. And after looking it up you can apparently go another way around those three guards, but when I went that way it looked blocked off with a fence? Well it's done now anyhow.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 29, 2016

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I still need the lore they have tucked in that bullshit

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Megazver posted:

Please don't invest this into another MMO.

please

its going to be two mmos developed concurrently

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Berke Negri posted:

please

its going to be two mmos developed concurrently

The Longest Treadmill

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Len posted:

I still need the lore they have tucked in that bullshit
My sympathies. I got the lore and the moonwalk_pro emote and I'm never going back. :v:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I'm reinstalling TSW to try and give Tokyo one more try hopefully I can at least stick it out this time.

Unrelated I'm really surprised that with Funcoms love for Golem bosses they haven't made Klein one yet. He did fall off a filth spewing statue into a pool of the poo poo. No reason we can't get Kleinothat storming around Egypt being baller.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Len posted:

I'm reinstalling TSW to try and give Tokyo one more try hopefully I can at least stick it out this time.
You should give it a shot, the story is as good as ever despite their best efforts to bury it under lovely mechanics. If you need a hand getting started, my in-game name is the same as here.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Len posted:

here's some advice from someone who just got through it:

-Install an automatic switcher. This is the one I use. Consider other UI mods also - even ones that haven't been updated in 3 years generally still work.
-Blow off "Tower Defence". You can get through fine with just the one set of disruptors. Make a build that only uses one weapon for damage, and uses blood or fist secondary just for healing. You'll be fine.
-If you haven't already, make a non-Tokyo pure DPS build, and run Elite dungeons until you have at least a full set of blues, plus the purples from the story missions. The group finder makes this very easy. If you want, you could then take on the gatekeeper and run nightmares for better purples, until Tokyo becomes absolutely trivial. None of this is gated behind AEGIS/Tokyo content.

oh, one more thing:
-When you're running around from place to place, don't even bother trying to dance around the mobs to avoid aggro. Just keep running, and if you can't shake them off when you get where you're going, fight or let them kill you and run back to your body as a ghost. It's just way easier.

vv oh, well that's a completely different source of frustration then. I never noticed that issue, I'm running it off an SSD though with all the options turned way down.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 29, 2016

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I already have one of each disrupter for each hand plus 10.4 weapons for almost every slot. I'm not sure exactly what my end game currency looks like at the moment since the switch but before that I had 2.5k black bullion. I just need to make an actual build for Tokyo and deal with the abysmal load times.

I'm not sure what they did with that zone but it takes significantly longer to load than any other in the game.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Huh. Never seen this one before.

Fatal Error: Not all resources were downloaded correctly. Please restart the Update Manager.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Len posted:

Huh. Never seen this one before.

Fatal Error: Not all resources were downloaded correctly. Please restart the Update Manager.

At this point I think they're actively monitoring your computer so they can sabotage you trying to play their game :D

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

orcane posted:

At this point I think they're actively monitoring your computer so they can sabotage you trying to play their game :D

I got the heroic horse from my second gym bag though! So now I'm a horseman cowboy who rides a horse.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
So in Orochi Tower, there's one of those "repeat after me" music puzzles and someone must've finally explained deaf people to them because it's the first I can remember with visual clues as well. Completing it gave me a flute that I can equip and play any time and it turns out that only I can hear it. :smith:

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

FunCom~ :allears:

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Is the combat in this game still poo poo? I remember playing this on release because I played Age Of Conan, and despite it's many issues I found the combat and PvP aspects of the game to be really fun. However, I got kicked in the dick pretty hard when I had similar expectations of this game and I nearly fell asleep from the boredom of killing anything in this game.

EDIT: Actually, better idea: Any goons still play AoC? Does anyone still play AoC?

SweetBro fucked around with this message at 11:24 on May 30, 2016

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
If you wait long enough, the progress bar will end up poking out the right side of the window. That bug has been in the patcher since launch, iirc.

SweetBro posted:

Is the combat in this game still poo poo? I remember playing this on release because I played Age Of Conan, and despite it's many issues I found the combat and PvP aspects of the game to be really fun. However, I got kicked in the dick pretty hard when I had similar expectations of this game and I nearly fell asleep from the boredom of killing anything in this game.
They retuned everything so stuff dies faster than it used to, especially early on, but it's not radically different than launch.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Len posted:

Unrelated I'm really surprised that with Funcoms love for Golem bosses they haven't made Klein one yet. He did fall off a filth spewing statue into a pool of the poo poo. No reason we can't get Kleinothat storming around Egypt being baller.

I don't think he wants to leave the Ankh. If you miss hi so much, play issue 14 he makes an appearance.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Len posted:

You should play issue 14...

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Someone spoil it for me in case I don't make it that far

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Does anyone use the Ability Panel mod and more importantly, have a working download link for it?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Len posted:

Someone spoil it for me in case I don't make it that far

Issue is not about Klein but you get to re-visit the Ankh along the way. It is basically an instance separate from the dungeon. Klein is vaguely aware that you might have killed him but it doesn't seem to bother him very much. He tries to get you to talk about the thing you are pusuing, after that fails he fucks off into the depths of the Ankh and you get to collect some more lore about him

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Is this a fun game, worthy of a free trial? Or a proper shame, both horrific and vile?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Fun game. I'm just bitter as hell because I bought lifetime and then not even a month later it went b2p and then Funcom gutted their staff and everything went to poo poo.

But if you aren't expecting the end game to be enjoyable then it's definitely worth playing.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Oh I never do in MMO's sadly :(

I'll give it a shot, thanks!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Dandywalken posted:

Oh I never do in MMO's sadly :(

I'll give it a shot, thanks!

The missions for most of the game are more involved than go to place A and fight enemy B to get C parts. As the content came out you can tell that the idea men behind the good missions are gone because they get really lovely and frequently involve wave defense.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Apparently the next big feature for the game is your own museum.

quote:

New Feature: "British Museum of the Occult" (the building where you found the final note about Wicker in "To Hell and Bach"). The museum is about to reopen.
Live Demo (about 39 minutes into stream): WIP of interior is shown. Upon entering the museum you will find rooms/wings based on adventure zones (four current ones and "global" for filth, etc.). Rooms contain (currently empty) displays. You become a benefactor of the museum, and your job is to fill in the museum and return it to its former glory. Exhibits are unlocked with AP and incorporate the "mystery feature" alluded to during development from 10k kill achievements (this has effectively replaced the Bestiary). Higher quality pedestals unlock fancier exhibits. Heroic exhibits can be customized to a degree, e.g. poses.
There will be lore about each enemy type, found in the open world but more difficult to acquire. Hints to further pieces of the lore will be inside previous pieces.
Then we're shown a completed museum wing. Some of the exhibits are of non-hostile mobs, such as the sasquatch. The pièce de résistance of the New England wing is a scene of Jack at his tree.
Museums are personal, but you can invite people into it.
Exit the Museum through the Gift Shop, which will have purchasable rewards for you depending on your unlocks. Will include pets, glamours (for mobs that have humanoid animations, so zombies but no revenants, etc.), T-shirts from the current contest, new Assist system that lets you summon mobs to help you in battle. The further you are in the system, the "cooler" and more powerful the assist. Different types of assists: damage, AOE or single target, buffs. PvE only.
No release date. Will be on Test first.
If you already have 10k achievements, you are ahead of the game, but not done (there's still lore, and you have to spend AP).
New "Easter Egg" versions of mobs will be introduced. It wasn't entirely clear to me from what Tilty said what they are or how they're accessed.
Sounds like we've reached peak timesink. "Issue 16: gently caress off and do the 10k kills achievements" :v:

I'm moderately enthused for it though, because my missus drew one of the winning designs for the gift shop t-shirts.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

So will the people who wanted player housing finally shut up?

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug

Len posted:

So will the people who wanted player housing finally shut up?
A museum/trophy room is a cool idea but I don't think it'll really compel me to play again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Allatum posted:

A museum/trophy room is a cool idea but I don't think it'll really compel me to play again.

If it would have come out back when I was still playing it would have kept me playing a bit longer. I would be willing to grind pointless achievements before scenarios. But alas they had to prove my angel killing character was capable of facing Tokyo by fighting wave after wave of non-aegis enemies.

• Locked thread