Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Nah, better to wait until 68" 8k 240Hz OLED displays are $50 and you can drive three of them with a single $120 card.

Yes these products are Veblen goods in part and it does make sense to wait rather than consistently paying early adopter premiums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Honestly if you're gaming on 1080p then there's already a ton of good cards in the $200-400 range and the influx of used high/mid-range cards is only going to make that selection better.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I see people trading up to the more expensive EVGA 1080 FE instead of the cheaper and better EVGA 1080 SC ACX 3.0 because "it was the more expensive one" and I'm like :eng99:

(£578 ($845) for SC ACX 3.0 vs £635 ($928) for the FE)

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Ak Gara posted:

I see people trading up to the more expensive EVGA 1080 FE instead of the cheaper and better EVGA 1080 SC ACX 3.0 because "it was the more expensive one" and I'm like :eng99:
hahahahaha yesssss :unsmigghh:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Ak Gara posted:

(£578 ($845) for SC ACX 3.0 vs £635 ($928) for the FE)

Go back in time 48 hours and this thread is all 'well obviously the AiB boards will be more expensive than the FE boards, the RRP is a lie nobody will pay more for a worse card'.

Never underestimate good marketing.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

You could read that right now, they didn't bother editing those posts

(they will now edit those posts)

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Huh, weird, EVGA is back to only allowing "notify me" on the 1080 WTF, but does have my pre-order listed in their system. I wonder, well, wtf that means.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mikojan posted:

Just caved in and ordered my 1080 FTW. Mid june can't come fast enough..

I'm upgrading from a 660 GTX, this is going to be mental.

I'm using a 660 GTX as well and still up in the air on going all in on a 1080 or holding off for a 1070 so I look forward to your trip report.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

anyone who buys a founder's edition to actually keep it and not trade it in for something better/actually need a blower cooler in the slim chance nobody else makes one/ebay scalp like a scumbag :capitalism: is a dumbass imho

regardless, 1080's the best right now and if you want to spend $600 each year, why not? you're probably going to trade it in for a 1080ti before the 1080 rapidly depreciates.

otherwise, you're better off bemoaning the lack of options in the 200-400 range (which, if shitslinging rumors are true, is a problem that will manifest itself real soon). or that Nvidia isn't going to put out a titan that's a GP100, for those of you who want to SPEND EVEN MORE MONEY :homebrew:

Here's what will happen, and this is how they :tinfoil: win. Some people won't know what they are buying for sure. The others who do know exactly what they are getting into think "well I will just return it when faster cheaper cards come out" , "I will use the EVGA step up!", etc. And some people will do exactly those things... but most won't. A lot have been waiting for a serious upgrade from 600 series or 7000 series AMD or older. The performance boost will be stunning, its not as loud as they thought, and the latest nvidia patch fixed the fan curve so it never throttles and even when when it did its not like they notice at 1080p anyway. They are used to the performance and they are happy with it. Sure, if they waited for aftermarkets they could thumb their nose at the dummy FE buyers, but they didn't and now they dont care. Some others still eagerly await for step up availability and then take a look at the details and realize... "wait, I'm paying $30 in shipping for, lets face it, probably a cheaper card anyway... and im happy with the performance I've got as it is... ive got to take it out and put it in a box then wait forever and poo poo? But games are so loving good now I don't want to stop...".

A lot of FE cards will stick around to a collective "gently caress it".

It's like a really advanced form of mail in rebate :v:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

these are truly dark days

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

:fap:

https://twitter.com/EVGA_JacobF/status/736523986994073601/photo/1

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

these are truly dark days

I guess there's worse. I mean, you really are buying the "first" edition of a GPU, they state up front that it costs $100 more than it should and absolutely nothing else. Aftermarkets are clearly coming like, very soon. I guess there's worse, is the best I can say. lol

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

froody guy posted:

And I'm a bit itchy (wouldn' say mad) for the pricing. As said just above, I had a G1 980 for 569€ at launch. Now I'd have to spend at least 200€ more for the 1080. I don't see why I shouldn't be at least a little itchy. As regards the 1070, too. They'll cost 500€ instead of 350€. A mid range gpu at 500€? Are you loving kidding me? :cmon:
Show me where you HAVE to buy a 1080? There are a lot of people who would love to have a 980.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Regardless of whether I need to or not, if AMD does ditch the Radeon line I'll buy a 10x0 card, because it'll likely be the last time we'll see 'high-end' cards under $450.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

mikemelbrooks posted:

Show me where you HAVE to buy a 1080? There are a lot of people who would love to have a 980.

If you can't post about it on every tech site/thread you know, is there really a point in buying the latest and greatest?

Psy890
Jan 18, 2005

mikemelbrooks posted:

If you're not first, you're last.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

froody guy posted:

Which is exactly what I said

And I'm a bit itchy (wouldn' say mad) for the pricing. As said just above, I had a G1 980 for 569€ at launch. Now I'd have to spend at least 200€ more for the 1080. I don't see why I shouldn't be at least a little itchy. As regards the 1070, too. They'll cost 500€ instead of 350€. A mid range gpu at 500€? Are you loving kidding me? :cmon:

Because what you are saying literally makes no sense

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
NDA lift and reviews of the 1070 coming on Monday, for sale Jun 10th according to the rumor sites.
This will be over before we get even the faintest whiff of big Polaris.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Just bought a 3440x1440 monitor and turns out that a 970 just isn't good enough to run most games on anything but ultra low settings.

I assume that the Strix or FTW versions of the 1080 are the way to go for performance and cooling reasons? They need to ramp up production because I want to buy one of these things asap.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
whats ultra low? is it very low or a low version of ultra but still higher than high?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Fauxtool posted:

whats ultra low? is it very low or a low version of ultra but still higher than high?

yes

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Is having a dedicated PhysX card still a thing? Would it make any sense for me to keep my 970 to use as a PhysX card alongside a 1080 or 1070?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Variable_H posted:

Is having a dedicated PhysX card still a thing? Would it make any sense for me to keep my 970 to use as a PhysX card alongside a 1080 or 1070?

No. No.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Fauxtool posted:

Meaning the highest possible lowest low.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Variable_H posted:

I've been thinking the same thing, but there just aren't enough games out there that make use of PhysX to make it worth the cost of keeping the card. Which sucks because in theory it is an amazing idea.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Variable_H posted:

No, it's not - although dx12 multi-adapter is the new version of that idea, so it might come back

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

MAKE WAY NEW STARS posted:

I have the money but I only kind of want it because I only rebuilt my desktop like a month and a half ago so it all has that new hardware smell on it still, what do I do

hello friend,

my one-time free advice to you is to do what is called, in the business, a cost-benefit analysis. basically you list weighted pros and cons of purchasing something and use your best judgement to decide if it's worth your money. it doesn't necessarily have to be a quantitative analysis with concrete benefits; you can just put "it would make me happy" and it's up to you to decide how much that's worth to you. a lot of people i know are tight-fisted with their money, trying to save up to some vague future payoff, but sometimes they lose sight of the joy of having cool stuff and fun experiences in the present. please don't take this advice as "spend money frivolously" but more as it's okay to spend some money to make your life more enjoyable.

i hope this helps you make your decision!!

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hamelekim posted:

Meaning the highest possible lowest low.

what are you playing that kills your 970 so hard? I had that card with that resolution and had totally playable frames on witcher3 ultra.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Fauxtool posted:

what are you playing that kills your 970 so hard? I had that card with that resolution and had totally playable frames on witcher3 ultra.

Hitman. I can play Elite Dangerous just fine, but Hitman slows right down.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Hitman is really weird with its performance. I can run it on High on my 760 at a perfectly fine frame rate except for one or two settings I have to turn down otherwise its a slideshow.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Some French site posted their 1070 review a bit early: http://www.clubic.com/carte-graphique/carte-graphique-nvidia/article-807190-1-test-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-pascal-gamers.html

TLDR: Slightly faster than Titan X across the board, except in The Division where it falls way behind for some reason. Full-system power draw is similar to the GTX960, and their sample overclocked to 2075mhz despite another power phase being cut.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I guess I'll get a 1070.

Variable_H posted:

Is having a dedicated PhysX card still a thing?

It was never a great idea.

lethial
Apr 29, 2009
Hmm I wasn't planning on getting the FE version of the 1080, but looking at the AIB 1080s it seems like they all have taller PCB? Except maybe the EVGA ACX 3.0? Or the MSI Aero? I have a SFF system so was hoping that there would be more AIB options that are comparable to the 1080FE in dimensions... (I have a 780 right now), so now I guess I am pretty much stuck with the FE? I don't have past experiences with either the ACX of EVGA or the blower type cooler of MSI, have they been good?

gahhhh

edit: I have a ASUS RoG Swift PG348Q so 1070 would not work for me esp. since I my upgrade cycles is slow (though tbf, the 780 have served me very well so I really didn't have a need to upgrade until I got the monitor)

lethial fucked around with this message at 03:06 on May 29, 2016

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
The nvidia driver installation asks me if I wanna install the physx drivers/software. Do I say yes or no?

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Boris Galerkin posted:

The nvidia driver installation asks me if I wanna install the physx drivers/software. Do I say yes or no?

Yes? No harm

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yes

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

repiv posted:

Some French site posted their 1070 review a bit early: http://www.clubic.com/carte-graphique/carte-graphique-nvidia/article-807190-1-test-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-pascal-gamers.html

TLDR: Slightly faster than Titan X across the board, except in The Division where it falls way behind for some reason. Full-system power draw is similar to the GTX960, and their sample overclocked to 2075mhz despite another power phase being cut.

Yeah looks like an extremely power efficient 980ti for 400 bucks, right on the mark.
Unless they dig up some crippling weakness in previews of the custom OC versions over the next 2 weeks.. :ohdear:

Boris Galerkin posted:

You'll end up with about a dozen versions of it anyway thanks to Steam installers, might aswell get the latest batch straight from the source.
The real fun are 'legacy' PhysX games from around 2009 who need their own little driver that may or may not gently caress everything up.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 03:30 on May 29, 2016

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I'm gonna replace my 970 with a scalped 1k+ FE 1080 to run my 1080p 60hz monitor because i'm rich and i can :hehe:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Now that the 1070 and 1080 are out, can someone confirm that they output 10-bit over displayport? There were some material in the promotional content and announcement live stream but the sites only mention "HDMI Deep Color", nothing about displayport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

sauer kraut posted:

Yeah looks like an extremely power efficient 980ti for 400 bucks, right on the mark.
Unless they dig up some crippling weakness in previews of the custom OC versions over the next 2 weeks.. :ohdear:

Probably will have some dumb thing where it doesn't scale well to 2560x1440/3440x1440 compared to the 980ti because the memory bus is slower or something.

Still very tempted to upgrade from a 970 to a 1070.