Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Also very excited to hear about the Vandruff/Proko collaboration! And agreement about Paul Foxton. He has a very balanced philosophy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
I've been working with one of my creative writing professors to edit my first completed novel. I'm really happy with the result, except now I'm having doubts because it's set in a non-English speaking country but written entirely in English with some local slang. That's the one thing my professor doesn't like. I've thought about rewriting the whole thing but implanting it elsewhere so that it makes sense. That would be a colossal effort as the setting/history drives the plot.

Are there any prominent examples of untranslated literature like this?

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
There's a ton of historical fiction and historical non-fiction out there that does this. I can't remember any specific examples but I do remember reading, like, some book about Vikings decades ago, historical fiction, that used a ton of Viking terms. If anything, it had me looking up what those words meant so I guess I learned a thing or two? Made watching the Vikings TV show much easier.

Frankly I wouldn't sweat it.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Where's the best place to ask for books about the history of music theory?

I'm not looking for books on music theory, but rather how it developed over the centuries. There are thousands of books on the history of music, but most of them are either biographies or cultural histories. Very few focus on musical innovations.

For example: Google "History of the Blues" and you'll find biographies of BB King and Bo Diddley. You'll also find books on the racial, geographical, and cultural trends in the blues. But I can't find anything on the origins of the blues scales, or how the harmonica went from being a portable accordian for German folk music to being intimately associated with blues and rock.

Another example: I've read that, in the 1960's, pop music producers became more important than pop artists. Brian Wilson, Phil Specter, George Martin. I've heard they were musical geniuses, but I've read very little about what specifically they did that previous producers didn't.

One more example: Everyone says Mozart was a genius. His life was fascinating. I've seen Amadeus in film and on stage. I loved it. But I've read very little on what Mozart added to music theory. What did he add to Bach's Baroque style?

These are just some examples of music theory's history. I'm not really sure where to post a request for books on these subjects. In the Creative Convention, even though it's not asking for tips on how to create art? In the D&D history book thread, though most of the requests are for histories of wars? Where do you think I would get the best response?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I've been searching around the forums for advice on digital cameras. I may just be blind but there doesn't seem to be any thing in Inspect Your Gadgets or here? Any advice?

raging bullwinkle
Jun 15, 2011

Jippa posted:

I've been searching around the forums for advice on digital cameras. I may just be blind but there doesn't seem to be any thing in Inspect Your Gadgets or here? Any advice?

There's a subforum dedicated to cameras/photography (you may have missed it):

The Dorkroom

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

raging bullwinkle posted:

There's a subforum dedicated to cameras/photography (you may have missed it):

The Dorkroom

I am blind it turns out, thanks.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Not sure where you'll find a camera that takes pictures in Braille. :v:

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Ferrule posted:

There's a ton of historical fiction and historical non-fiction out there that does this. I can't remember any specific examples but I do remember reading, like, some book about Vikings decades ago, historical fiction, that used a ton of Viking terms. If anything, it had me looking up what those words meant so I guess I learned a thing or two? Made watching the Vikings TV show much easier.

Frankly I wouldn't sweat it.

Thanks! This made me feel a lot better. I did easily 150 hours of research so gently caress I'd die if I took her advice. Though I can't complain about free editing and workshopping from a much better writer.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
When doing Live Trace -> Expand in Illustrator, is there a way to choose, say, Pantone Solid Coated as your palette AND set a max number of colors? AFAIK, you can only do one or the other: choose a color book as your palette OR set max colors. I'm vectorizing a JPG, and I don't want hundreds of colors in the final product, more like a dozen or so.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

This is kind of an oddball question, but does anyone have any idea what the best choice would be to get some sort of slanted surface to draw on? I'm looking for something that could either sit on top of a desk or some other relatively nonintrusive thing. It'd be for both traditional drawing and putting a tablet on top of for digital stuff, so a clean surface would be best. Is this even a thing that can be bought or does it seem a bit too DIY for that?

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
You're describing a tabletop drawing board/drafting board. I have one with little feet. I use it daily, I think it's made by Alvin and I bought it for about 50 bucks a long time ago.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
On the drafting topic, I currently do all my technical drawings in a CAD package but I want to do some by hand as a cute little bonus to put in with the owner's documentation. I am trying to decide between a Platinum Pro-Touch 2, Staedtler 925-25 or Rotring 600 in .3, .5 and .7 to compliment the fineliners I already have. Does anyone has a suggestion of the pros/cons of these specific models or something in the similar price range (sub-35USD per) that would be the best choice?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Anyone know of a free OS X app that would allow me to take an existing photo or picture and basically turn it into squares of color? Basically kinda like retro pixel art, but allowing me to determine square size?

I have Pixelmator and Affinity. I do not have Photoshop. Even say something if you know of something (or some way) to do this with unchanged square sizes.

Thanks!

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Feenix posted:

Anyone know of a free OS X app that would allow me to take an existing photo or picture and basically turn it into squares of color? Basically kinda like retro pixel art, but allowing me to determine square size?

I have Pixelmator and Affinity. I do not have Photoshop. Even say something if you know of something (or some way) to do this with unchanged square sizes.

Thanks!

It looks like Gimp (which is free) has a plugin that can do what you're looking for. Gimp is Photoshop for people who don't want to buy Photoshop.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

kedo posted:

Gimp is Photoshop for people who don't want to buy Photoshop.

Is there an Illustrator equivalent?

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Inkscape.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Futaba Anzu posted:

This is kind of an oddball question, but does anyone have any idea what the best choice would be to get some sort of slanted surface to draw on? I'm looking for something that could either sit on top of a desk or some other relatively nonintrusive thing. It'd be for both traditional drawing and putting a tablet on top of for digital stuff, so a clean surface would be best. Is this even a thing that can be bought or does it seem a bit too DIY for that?

neonnoodle posted:

You're describing a tabletop drawing board/drafting board. I have one with little feet. I use it daily, I think it's made by Alvin and I bought it for about 50 bucks a long time ago.

trip report, bought this without paying attention to the fact that the dimensions are clearly listed right there, just got it from the mail and it turns out it's for those 18x24 drawing pads I guess

e: y-yeah, I don't think this is going to work out...

Futaba Anzu fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 8, 2016

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
It's pretty sexy, though.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Can anyone recommend any novels / short stories in which it turns out that one of the characters was secretly a nazi spy all along and the author did a good job of showing rather than telling? I'm thinking of doing something similar and would like examples.

Lotron
Aug 15, 2006

Still clownin'
Has anyone here ever made the leap from tablets to the Cintiq? How awesome is it? Almost 3,000 dollars awesome (for the good version)? The idea of drawing directly onto Flash or something sounds fun and interesting. But really, the price tag. Yikes. Most expensive sketchbook ever.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Lotron posted:

Has anyone here ever made the leap from tablets to the Cintiq? How awesome is it? Almost 3,000 dollars awesome (for the good version)? The idea of drawing directly onto Flash or something sounds fun and interesting. But really, the price tag. Yikes. Most expensive sketchbook ever.
It's about 75% awesome and about 25% extremely frustrating in my experience. It depends a lot on how you prefer to work. I've had mine for about 5 years and during that period I think I use it less and less each year. Instead I've been going back more to traditional media.

The place where it stands out for me is animation. Animating on paper is a humongous pain in the rear end. Trying to do multi-level animation on paper is just painfully tedious. I bought my Cintiq right around the time I had to do a short film for a freelance project and I don't think I would have been able to finish it without the Cintiq. As an animation tool it has paid for itself.

For drawing (linework, rough sketching, etc), it's kind of awful. This might just be a quirk of how I approach drawing, but I have a very "sketchy" style and I find it much easier to draw on paper. Other people have no such issues.

For painting and coloring, it's pretty good. I have an older 21UX and the color is NOT reliable, but I hear they have improved on this a lot in recent years. It's worth having a secondary display that you KNOW to be color true, but then trying to get the two aligned is very frustrating. The dynamic range is...also not great. For me, this results in a lot of "dropping out" of lower values. It's hard to see the difference between very dark shades. The general impression is a "washed out" appearance -- again, I'm hearing good things about the newer displays, but mine was the top of the line when I bought it and it was still disappointing in that regard, especially for a supposedly "professional" piece of hardware.

The screen is very slippery. The different nibs help to offset this problem somewhat, but not completely. The backlight is harsh to stare into and it causes eye strain. The ergonomics are not as good as a traditional drafting table, and I get a fair amount of arm/shoulder pain after using it for long periods. The screen DPI is still about 100, which is OK by normal monitor standards, but can be aggravating if you're used to a 4K/5K/Retina display.

I'm saying all these things because it's very easy to find people gushing about them all over the place. Between the years that artists spend coveting them, and the sense of sunk cost that comes with finally purchasing one, I think there's a certain degree of internal pressure not to complain about them. I mean, what could be worse than buyer's remorse or sour grapes about something so expensive? But if you're considering it I think you should know the full story.

Lotron
Aug 15, 2006

Still clownin'

neonnoodle posted:

[good post]

Thank you for the insight. I wish there was a place where I could just test out one of the new QHD's, but I can only find it online. What a gamble : [ But this is the life I chose.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Lotron posted:

I bought a 13HD back in December, after owning/working on a bamboo, Intuos3, Intuos4, and Intuos5. Neonnoodle is right about the color, I get around this by having my main monitor correctly color calibrated and having the navigator windows in Photoshop/Illustrator open on that monitor. My artwork is very line-centric, so having even the smallest Cintiq has been a huge improvement since my lines no longer look like butt when using Photoshop to draw them. Overall it is a good thing, however you might want to check out the recommendations in this thread for Wacom alternatives, there are a few other companies making pressure-sensitive tablets that will allow you to buy bigger screens for less money.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I didnt like the cintiq that much after using it awhile. Sure there's drawing direct, but having your hand occupying a huge area. Stupid meaty mitts.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Thank you for this; I'd been wondering about whether to make the leap or not.

Speaking of traditional media: can anyone recommend a simple desktop drawing board that I could get off of Amazon or whatnot? I've been trying to go back to doing pencil and paper sketching more recently, but I've found that I just cannot stare down for long periods like I was able to a few years ago. It'd just be for my sketchbook (standard 9"x12"). Bonus points if it's portable, since I've been trying to get out of the house more and having something I could carry with me to a cafe or whatnot would be grand.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I prefer a drawing tablet for sketching and inking but a desk tablet for painting and sculpting. As a result, color quality is less important to me so I grabbed a Yiynova 19inch screen tablet for $600 and it's been fine. Not amazing, but fine.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
Finishing the formatting of my manuscript and I have one thing left that might need changing; if a line of dialogue begins with a tag, indent or no?

ie: X said "ssss" vs "ssss" x said.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Are cintiq's still just flat gloss screens? You'd think they'd have jumped on that etched crap the kindles have, at least as an overlay or something to alleviate "too slippery"...

I didn't look anything up before writing this post. :waycool:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Bagheera posted:

These are just some examples of music theory's history. I'm not really sure where to post a request for books on these subjects. In the Creative Convention, even though it's not asking for tips on how to create art? In the D&D history book thread, though most of the requests are for histories of wars? Where do you think I would get the best response?

Try asking r/classical, they've dug up some interesting worms for me.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
My wife and I recently started getting into screen printing - does anyone here have any recommendations for youtube tutorials, books, etc. on getting started with screen printing, specifically in regards to care for materials, cleaning, and so on?

We have all the basic materials assembled (press, ink, pressure washer, squeegee, drying space for prints) and have done a small test run that turned out well. We both have a tiny bit of experience with printing (we took a one-time class together, and I printed our save the date cards for our wedding myself) but all our experience has been in well-stocked, large studios where we were paying for access to equipment and a trained professional to help out if things went wrong. I've found several tutorials on youtube (Anthem Screen Printing has some helpful tutorials on registration and setting up multi-color images) but would love to see more that are concise, useful, and accurate.

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

THE PWNER posted:

Finishing the formatting of my manuscript and I have one thing left that might need changing; if a line of dialogue begins with a tag, indent or no?

ie: X said "ssss" vs "ssss" x said.

Sorry, may have missed your previous post, but what kind of manuscript are we talking about? If just fiction, you indent the first line of all paragraphs after the first of a significant section. Doesn't matter whether speech marks start the paragraph or not.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
I've only been drawing seriously for a month and a half using a cheap tablet I got and Sai. I heard about Lazy Nezumi in another thread but it kind of seems like cheating. Would it help me learn or should I just keep teaching myself without it?

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
It's not really cheating so much as fixing a few big holes that exist in drawing software and tablet drivers. However, the holes might not be that obvious if you are just starting out. I'd recommend spending some more time drawing before plunking down some cash on it, spend some more months figuring out if the problems you have with drawing on a tablet come from the fact that you are still learning to draw or from the fact that the software just doesn't meet your needs. So many people plunk down a lot of money on drawing stuff in the very beginning and buy a bunch of stuff that they don't ever use again.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Yeah I was playing around with it last night and it seems pretty cool. I think I'm good with my tools for now though.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
What's a good free program for image editing / manipulation? GIMP? I've only ever used MS Paint, so just about anything will be a huge step up.

Also is there any sort of graphic design megathread / how-to thread?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

literally this big posted:

What's a good free program for image editing / manipulation? GIMP? I've only ever used MS Paint, so just about anything will be a huge step up.

For simple stuff irfanview is a fantastic swiss army knife.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Is there a program that can give me greater control over what my printer prints. I've made some designs that I'm going to turn into buttons and to fit into the button machine they need to be exactly the size that I make them, while windows 10 wants to print it at whatever random size it decides. I know I can print actual size with MSPaint but I'd also like to be able to print multiple per page without altering the size, since I have to pay for colour printing and would like to get as many copies of the design on a page as possible without it being altered into 5x7 or whatever.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

literally this big posted:

Gimp is still the go-to for people who don't want buy Photoshop, granted it has a terrible interface.

Depending on what sort of design you're trying to accomplish it may or may not be the right program. It's for image editing, not really for designing full comps.

Asiina posted:

Is there a program that can give me greater control over what my printer prints. I've made some designs that I'm going to turn into buttons and to fit into the button machine they need to be exactly the size that I make them, while windows 10 wants to print it at whatever random size it decides. I know I can print actual size with MSPaint but I'd also like to be able to print multiple per page without altering the size, since I have to pay for colour printing and would like to get as many copies of the design on a page as possible without it being altered into 5x7 or whatever.

I'm guessing you only have default MS programs? Do you have Word? If so you can just save your design as an image somewhere and then place it multiple times on an 8.5x11 in Word.

kedo fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jul 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

kedo posted:

I'm guessing you only have default MS programs? Do you have Word? If so you can just save your design as an image somewhere and then place it multiple times on an 8.5x11 in Word.

I feel very dumb for not thinking of this, but it worked perfectly. Thanks.