Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I just picked up a TX for a pretty good deal. Is there a goon recommended stand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

I'd also be interested in more GRC racing. I'd rather deal with a single spec for a season and knowing the tracks somewhat in advance to practice.

Also posters.

GB, you thinking 10pm start time?

jabro posted:

I just picked up a TX for a pretty good deal. Is there a goon recommended stand?

I have this. I have it in my office so I don't have to close it down when I'm done, but if I had to it's not too bad.

http://www.amazon.com/Wheelstand-Thrustmaster-Wheel-Stand-Pro/dp/B00GP3RUI6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

geeves fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 28, 2016

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Im out for a 10pm start time if its during the week. I get up too early to do that (i always need extra coffee friday morning)

Weekends would be best

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 28, 2016

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I can't do weekends because I've got a kid and other people are more social and do poo poo on the weekends. I was thinking Wednesday nights but at 9 because we seem to get a lot of East coast guys that want to go to bed early.

Since we've got more cars and tracks I was thinking of redoing what we for the first season of 5, and that was just go through all the classes, starting at D and ending at X, doing one per week. The car you take has to start in the class of the week and can be upgraded to the top of it's class without using race tires or aero.

We also tried Formula E as the recurring spec and that ended up sucking so what are your ideas for the weekly "inspired by real life racing" spec? I wouldn't object to revisiting any of the recurring specs we did in 5 either like DTM, group B, or V8 supercars. The Ariel Atoms can probably be skipped though. My thoughts are we could do Le Mans style prototypes, IndyCars, F1 cars, maybe Indy lights. Or we could do 60s F1.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 28, 2016

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Formula E is so boring

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Formula E is so boring

I like watching formula e but racing the cars in game is quite boring. Watching the races is awesome because it's really close racing and the drivers are a bit aggressive and the cars are slow so there's a lot of wheel to wheel stuff and pretty much anyone can win on the day.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
If only there was a slow formula car that had an exciting engine note and less downforce.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Formula Ford, or the Mazda one.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

GutBomb posted:

I like watching formula e but racing the cars in game is quite boring. Watching the races is awesome because it's really close racing and the drivers are a bit aggressive and the cars are slow so there's a lot of wheel to wheel stuff and pretty much anyone can win on the day.

Yeah watching it has been pretty good. Racing in the game sucks though. You can't hear them.

GutBomb posted:

Since we've got more cars and tracks I was thinking of redoing what we for the first season of 5, and that was just go through all the classes, starting at D and ending at X, doing one per week. The car you take has to start in the class of the week and can be upgraded to the top of it's class without using race tires or aero.

We also tried Formula E as the recurring spec and that ended up sucking so what are your ideas for the weekly "inspired by real life racing" spec? I wouldn't object to revisiting any of the recurring specs we did in 5 either like DTM, group B, or V8 supercars. The Ariel Atoms can probably be skipped though. My thoughts are we could do Le Mans style prototypes, IndyCars, F1 cars, maybe Indy lights. Or we could do 60s F1.

I wouldn't mind multiclass LMP & GT3 or GT3 & V8 Supercars - or any other reasonable combination out there.

geeves fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 28, 2016

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

MattD1zzl3 posted:

If only there was a slow formula car that had an exciting engine note and less downforce.

BAC Mono.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Actually S class open wheel endurance would be a fun spec. You might see formula E fighting 50s f1 fighting formula mazda. Something to consider...

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

geeves posted:

I have this. I have it in my office so I don't have to close it down when I'm done, but if I had to it's not too bad.

http://www.amazon.com/Wheelstand-Thrustmaster-Wheel-Stand-Pro/dp/B00GP3RUI6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

Thanks for the suggestion. That is the one I've seen mentioned more than once. I'd rather use the $200 on a decent set of pedals so I just moved my Xbone into my office and will just use my Ubutto.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

GutBomb posted:

So I'm floating the idea of bringing GRC back because I miss the more serious racing stuff like mandatory pits, 20-30 minute races, specs based on real life racing series. And spreadsheets with points. And cool posters announcing the weekly events. I love GTCC though and don't want to interfere with that or quit racing with them because they really do have the finest dick jokes on the internet.

I am interested in this. I have to work Wednesday & Thursday nights. But if it's run at 9PM eastern I have almost an hour and a half to run. Part of me wants to say Monday and Tuesday work better for me, but I am looking for a 2nd job and I might end up not being able to play then either.

While running the new tracks sounds like a good idea, I'm sure at least half of the goons haven't bought those expansions :(.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

NASCAR Oval League - 3 quickstops...

People who figure out that their pit is passed the start / finish line are taking their last pit stop as they cross the finish line. :lol:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Does it still count it?

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

GutBomb posted:

Does it still count it?

Apparently so. Guy was running same lap times as me. No wrecks and he finished over a lap (40+ seconds) a head of me at Homestead (I was 2nd)

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Thats just the way you have to finish now i guess. I cant wait for a quickstop lobby on the slower cars

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

GutBomb posted:

So I'm floating the idea of bringing GRC back because I miss the more serious racing stuff like mandatory pits, 20-30 minute races, specs based on real life racing series. And spreadsheets with points. And cool posters announcing the weekly events. I love GTCC though and don't want to interfere with that or quit racing with them because they really do have the finest dick jokes on the internet.

I'm thinking of bringing GRC back for Wednesday nights for people that are interested in doing that sort of thing. Is there any interest or is one barely attended club enough? Any interest in more serious racing?

Yes, I would like to do this. Wednesday nights at 9 Eastern is as good a time as any.

Any spec works for me. Old F1 cars would be fun. Or a spec that I could use that old Ferrari racecar, I forget name of. P something? I like that car.

e: 1971 Ferrari 312 P.

WienerDog fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 29, 2016

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

geeves posted:

NASCAR Oval League - 3 quickstops...

People who figure out that their pit is passed the start / finish line are taking their last pit stop as they cross the finish line. :lol:

I tried this in a solo lobby with AI and after taking the whiteflag without a quickstop, the game changed the position to last place?

Edit, I assume the best strategy would be to just take your 3 stops 3 laps in a row instead of spreading them out?

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 30, 2016

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I tried this in a solo lobby with AI and after taking the whiteflag without a quickstop, the game changed the position to last place?

Edit, I assume the best strategy would be to just take your 3 stops 3 laps in a row instead of spreading them out?

I think it really depends. On homestead oval last night I got caught up in a first lap wreck and was 16th so I took 2 quick stops in a row then drove clean, got my laps back and took my last quick stop before finishing 4th out of 24.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I completed the Homestead 300 today. I love how the AI goes from pit road to the middle of the track as soon as they possibly can. Was struggling to get in the top 5 for the first 3/4 of the race but then at around lap 150 the AI went loving bonkers and there was wrecks everywhere, mostly collisions from the AI coming on to the track from pit road. I ended up winning the race with a lap lead on everyone.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Doomsday Jesus posted:

I think it really depends. On homestead oval last night I got caught up in a first lap wreck and was 16th so I took 2 quick stops in a row then drove clean, got my laps back and took my last quick stop before finishing 4th out of 24.

Really, I kind of hate the league this week. It just seems so dumb to have to make 3 pit stops in a 15 lap race.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Oh well, I guess Turn10 agreed with me. The league is now set at 2 quick stops instead of 3.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Ok, decision made, GRC is back. New thread created. Enjoy: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3778523

PhancyPants
Nov 15, 2003

Hotdog Suit Up!

GTCC starts in 15, no tunes necessary tonight.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I have realized the most amazing part of the quick stops. It's 30 seconds in the middle of a race where you can safely consume an alcoholic beverage.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I have realized the most amazing part of the quick stops. It's 30 seconds in the middle of a race where you can safely consume an alcoholic beverage.

Or eat an ice cream

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Sometime in the 90s i think they got all the active world champions together in an early f1 sim and did a test where they would have them do a few laps, have a pint, do a few more, have another pint.

They got faster and faster until the 7th pint, the alcohol took away hesitancy and second-guessing more than it hurt reaction time and coordination.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yeah, that was in 2004 I think but otherwise you've got the results right.

I've never done exactly a replica of this playing forza/driving with the fanatec setups, but I do know that when I'm doing longer sessions just driving for the sake of driving/beating personal bests, in my top cars I can lay down identically fast laps of the 'Ring whether I've had 1 beer or 8 (I have never not had at least 1 beer)

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Gave the NASCAR dlc a spin and I like it. I had a laugh that the fastest way around Daytona is doing a tandem drafting. Had a big crash early on and with a few laps to go was all by myself except some lapped cars and latched onto their bumpers to makes some really quick lap times.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
MattDizzle will you drink 7 beers and then go drive around whatever city you live in for an hour?

Report back with your results.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

MattDizzle will you drink 7 beers and then go drive around whatever city you live in for an hour?

Report back with your results.

I'd done this by around 11:30 today, picked up a chicken jerk wrap at "Ginger Bay Cafe", a tourist spot i'd walked past hundreds of times. It was under-seasoned and i think filled with the lettuce from fake easter baskets. I coated it in Tabasco-Brand Sriracha and it went down fine, but for the price i dont think i'll be going back.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Does anyone have a decent tune for Nascar on Homestead road?

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

jabro posted:

Does anyone have a decent tune for Nascar on Homestead road?

I do, #4 Haas Chevy. There are two. Homestead and Indy Oval. Both are very similar, but Indy Oval has a bit more grip and I use that one on the road courses.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

No new DLC this month?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

geeves posted:

I do, #4 Haas Chevy. There are two. Homestead and Indy Oval. Both are very similar, but Indy Oval has a bit more grip and I use that one on the road courses.

Thanks! I'll check them both tonight.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I said come in! posted:

No new DLC this month?

Apparently the Ford GTE is gonna be free DLC because Le Mans.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

If it isn't mailed to you yet then it should be within seven days.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

geeves posted:

What kind of lap times you getting with them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Doomsday Jesus posted:

What kind of lap times you getting with them?

Overall pretty on par with some of the GTLM cars. At the time that I tuned it, I had top ~25 times (before the leaderboards arrived) at Homestead and at Indy in the NASCAR division. Rankings may have changed since. The only time I know off the top of my head is 1:38ish at Alps full and at the time it was top 5 in the NASCAR division.

• Locked thread