Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Can't wait for 1.1 at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist

TurnipFritter posted:

That's realistic cat behavior.

Well perhaps but I'd at least like his children to stop walking strange angles into the shadows like Brown Jenkin every other day. I suppose he could teach them to rob banks.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
Elliot is a poet living in a shack on the beach... I... I can't think of worse warning signs.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

And the shack is full of spiders, so he's obviously incapable of cleaning up after himself. Typical poet I guess.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
There is a weird gray rock on my farm that I can't get rid of. It's not a meteorite or anything. Thoughts?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Zephyrine posted:

Elliot is a poet living in a shack on the beach... I... I can't think of worse warning signs.

Warning signs to the other villagers of him becoming my husband, you mean

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

CJacobs posted:

Warning signs to the other villagers of him becoming my husband, you mean

You can't marry him! He lives in a shack and writes poetry! He has no prospects what so ever.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Zephyrine posted:

You can't marry him! He lives in a shack and writes poetry! He has no prospects what so ever.

That's funny because it sounds like he's caught the eye of the wealthiest landowner in Stardew Valley

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Zephyrine posted:

but he's just so dreamy

edit: I just started exploring the mines a bit deeper and the game has now blown wide the hell open, what have I gotten myself into

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Zephyrine posted:

I asked him to come live on my farm as a joke and he seemed so overjoyed at the prospect that I can't possibly not marry him now.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Mazz posted:

Can't wait for 1.1 at this point
I know what you mean. I'm in the mood to start a new game and just unwind with some low-key farming, but knowing that new content is on the way is making me want to wait.

No lazy evenings of fishing for me 'til 1.1 is out, I guess. :(

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

I actually changed my preference for the gathering profession. The level 10 lumberjack perk thing gives you hardwood from regular trees which saves me having to visit the secret forest every single day for months to build all the things I want.

Meanwhile a bonus to the number and quality of foraged fruits become less important later on.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Zephyrine posted:

Meanwhile a bonus to the number and quality of foraged fruits become less important later on.

It certainly makes inventory/storage management less of a pain in the rear end.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Legs Benedict posted:

There is a weird gray rock on my farm that I can't get rid of. It's not a meteorite or anything. Thoughts?

If you hit it with your pick and it says you can't do anything, you need to upgrade your pick before you can destroy it. Is it a bigger rock that takes up four spaces? That's the equivalent of the stumps.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

If you hit it with your pick and it says you can't do anything, you need to upgrade your pick before you can destroy it. Is it a bigger rock that takes up four spaces? That's the equivalent of the stumps.

No, it was weird and kind of round? anyway, I tried a bunch of stuff and my axe broke it and I got a mushroom

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Legs Benedict posted:

No, it was weird and kind of round? anyway, I tried a bunch of stuff and my axe broke it and I got a mushroom

That must have been the stump of the giant mushroom. Are you in winter?

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Met posted:

It certainly makes inventory/storage management less of a pain in the rear end.

I just ignore forage all together once I can live off of farming.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

Really Pants posted:

That must have been the stump of the giant mushroom. Are you in winter?

Yes

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
One of the few save game edits you really should make is adding lumberjack or gatherer to whatever pick you make at level 10. They both make sense at level 10, just add the other variable to your save, have both, and move on.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Once in a blue moon, a witch will fly over your farm and randomly curse something. One of the things she can do is turn one of the maple, pine, or oak trees into a big mushroom. It turns into a little grey stump in winter. You can put a tapper on it to get red mushrooms but it's mostly just a silly little fluff thing--cutting it down isn't a big loss.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Really Pants posted:

Once in a blue moon, a witch will fly over your farm and randomly curse something. One of the things she can do is turn one of the maple, pine, or oak trees into a big mushroom. It turns into a little grey stump in winter. You can put a tapper on it to get red mushrooms but it's mostly just a silly little fluff thing--cutting it down isn't a big loss.

How easily moddable is the game? I was considering dropping Earthbound music into the game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Saxophone posted:

How easily moddable is the game? I was considering dropping Earthbound music into the game.

Music modding is unfortunately not very easy and kind of limited. Follow the steps in this post if you want to do it. Keep in mind that using this method you can only replace already-existing music with your own, adding new music this way is not possible.

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist
I just noticed that Joja Mart is open during festivals even if you closed it down.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Haskell9 posted:

I just noticed that Joja Mart is open during festivals even if you closed it down.

It's a Joja-mas Miracle!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
How many times do I have to post that I have not suggested nerfing anything that is currently in existence? Why do people think that by suggesting that some simple balance be applied, I am suggesting that the game be turned into a humongous min/max grind? I've never had people argue so feverishly at me about things I'm not even talking about. I feel like if there was a bug tomorrow that allowed you to buy infinite starfruit for 1g a piece and sell them for 10,000g, that people would suggest leaving it in the game as some sort of fun alternative to actually playing it.

So far the conversation has been more or less me saying that berries make every other crop look like poo poo, and everyone telling me I'm playing the game wrong by even thinking about the price of berries. I'm playing the "raise my farm from nothing" game, I guess everyone else is playing the "stand around and chill" game

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 29, 2016

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
hairy nutsack

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Coolguye posted:

hairy nutsack

Whatever this means, I support it.

ItsNotAGirlName
Jan 9, 2011
Be chill like this game and shut the gently caress up and farm some poo poo how you wanna farm some poo poo. If someone gives a poo poo how you play a single player game then they're a total Pierre and should be ignored.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Coolguye posted:

hairy nutsack

this is clearly a personal attack upon me and if you think I am not prepared to argue about it at extreme length then you are about to have quite another think coming my friend

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

ItsNotAGirlName posted:

Be chill like this game and shut the gently caress up and farm some poo poo how you wanna farm some poo poo. If someone gives a poo poo how you play a single player game then they're a total Pierre and should be ignored.

Let me explain you a thing about farming games my friend

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

How many times do I have to post that I have not suggested nerfing anything that is currently in existence? Why do people think that by suggesting that some simple balance be applied, I am suggesting that the game be turned into a humongous min/max grind? I've never had people argue so feverishly at me about things I'm not even talking about. I feel like if there was a bug tomorrow that allowed you to buy infinite starfruit for 1g a piece and sell them for 10,000g, that people would suggest leaving it in the game as some sort of fun alternative to actually playing it.

So far the conversation has been more or less me saying that berries make every other crop look like poo poo, and everyone telling me I'm playing the game wrong by even thinking about the price of berries. I'm playing the "raise my farm from nothing" game, I guess everyone else is playing the "stand around and chill" game

Maybe this game is a bit too intense for you. Stop stressing it?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I've reached my first summer and I am having lots of fun, the game is very relaxing. Here's what my meager farm currently looks like complete with peepers. I was gonna just do rows of crops this season but the Optimal Sprinkler Layout was just too much of an energy-saver to resist.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Yes, if you rush magic berries and make only magic berries, you'll make money hand over fist. Is that really what you wanted from the game, though? To see your numbers go up? You may be confused, but I get confused when people treat games like that, because they're always very different people from the ones who treat real life like that.

Like, if there was a massive rebalance, and crops were changed in various ways, so you got more money from pairing crops or theme bonuses or rotating crops or anything of the sort, the argument you're making would still be around. Just instead of 'berry rush is the optimal strategy, why do anything else?' it would be 'potatoes+corn in summer for year 1, then autumn go Full Pumpkin, then by next year have your fruit trees up [excised for length]... is the optimal strategy, so why do anything else?' There will always be an optimal strategy. I could see your point if you were complaining about the optimal strategy being the only way to win, but it's not in the slightest. You can grow a wide variety of crops and never touch a berry and do absolutely fine, so your choice, the choice that you are making, is to do the thing that makes you more unhappy. You can do everything in the game without your "optimal strategy," so it being optimal is a moot point.

Right now you are telling me that I should just plant parsnips because I feel like it, as if I'm supposed to derive some sort of satisfaction from my love of parsnips. That's just ridiculous. You would never suggest something similar in any other game/

Yes, people would and do, all the time. Some people say "At maximum level Barbarian on the Slaughtermax skill path with the Axe of the Mighty does 18% more damage than any other class, so this needs to be fixed; the point of the game is to deal damage to enemies, so the style that does the most damage fastest is optimal, so there's no reason for any other class to exist."

But there loving is, and it's because people want to do it. People who think the way you do (as far as I can tell, I am no mind reader) are in the minority, and you seem to be under the impression that no one understands what you're trying to say. We do. We understand entirely, we just disagree, and that is a thing that is very possible. Somebody can understand your point entirely and still hold different things more valuable, and that's what's happening here. You being able to grow berries all you desire (after reaching a certain point and performing certain tasks) is not a problem to most people, because it's not what they desire, simple as that.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
Yeah, I have to say that on my main file, after reaching my first million using a greenhouse full of cranberries, my enjoyment dropped. Now I'm diversifying on a new file (15 of each crop at the moment, planning on not using the greenhouse at all) and it's fun again! I'm not struggling for lack of money (oddly, in this file I'm lacking clay), in fact I'm making decent bank.
So I do get that there are some issues with the system in that it's really easy to break the economy over your virtual knee, but you can just not do that and things are fine.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I'm just achievement farming with Haley

I'll build a farm I actually want with Leah.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

John Lee posted:

Yes, if you rush magic berries and make only magic berries, you'll make money hand over fist. Is that really what you wanted from the game, though? To see your numbers go up? You may be confused, but I get confused when people treat games like that, because they're always very different people from the ones who treat real life like that.

Like, if there was a massive rebalance, and crops were changed in various ways, so you got more money from pairing crops or theme bonuses or rotating crops or anything of the sort, the argument you're making would still be around. Just instead of 'berry rush is the optimal strategy, why do anything else?' it would be 'potatoes+corn in summer for year 1, then autumn go Full Pumpkin, then by next year have your fruit trees up [excised for length]... is the optimal strategy, so why do anything else?' There will always be an optimal strategy. I could see your point if you were complaining about the optimal strategy being the only way to win, but it's not in the slightest. You can grow a wide variety of crops and never touch a berry and do absolutely fine, so your choice, the choice that you are making, is to do the thing that makes you more unhappy. You can do everything in the game without your "optimal strategy," so it being optimal is a moot point.

Yes, people would and do, all the time. Some people say "At maximum level Barbarian on the Slaughtermax skill path with the Axe of the Mighty does 18% more damage than any other class, so this needs to be fixed; the point of the game is to deal damage to enemies, so the style that does the most damage fastest is optimal, so there's no reason for any other class to exist."

But there loving is, and it's because people want to do it. People who think the way you do (as far as I can tell, I am no mind reader) are in the minority, and you seem to be under the impression that no one understands what you're trying to say. We do. We understand entirely, we just disagree, and that is a thing that is very possible. Somebody can understand your point entirely and still hold different things more valuable, and that's what's happening here. You being able to grow berries all you desire (after reaching a certain point and performing certain tasks) is not a problem to most people, because it's not what they desire, simple as that.

I just want currently underperforming crops to be more useful. That's it.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I don't know how to break this to you, but there's not a lot we can do about that my man.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It'd require a rather significant restructuring to make them useful since the other two ways that crops are relevant, gifts and cooking, are pretty irrelevant since sashimi and mayo are much more efficient for grinding friendship and energy/health ceases being an issue after you gain skill levels (and even if you don't you can make energy tonics with the mushroom farm or simply nosh on sashimi until you're better). There's already a few things that make some crops useful like short growth time for quick profit turnaround or the ability to regrow. It's kinda dumb anyway to go after one crop since diversifying means you'll make money on more days rather than one large payday every few days, even if it's slightly less. Summer and Fall Y1 you'll want stuff besides Blueberries/Cranberries just so you won't be constantly broke between harvests, and after Year 1 money's likely going to be irrelevant anyway, at least until 1.1 hits.

It's not a perfect system of course but the other crops still have their uses.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

what's really bullshit is how Alex's favorite gifts require ten times as much effort/resources as literally everyone else's

nerf plox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Davoren posted:

I don't know how to break this to you, but there's not a lot we can do about that my man.

That's cool, I was just discussing the game in the thread for the game. I also expect mods to add a lot of cool stuff, but I'd rather wait until 1.1 before diving down that rabbit hole