Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I really hope Sardar Shah Wali Khan was made rank 5 because someone realized how amazing his name was. That's like being a triple king!

Wikipedia also tells me he was named The Conqueror of Kabul, which sounds pretty cool.

fakeedit: someone who actually knows about him should tell me how cool or not he was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Continued work on the modern mod, US holiday special edition. I have no idea if HoI4 has an election system in place (probably not) or if I can get away with just using events (please please please include a way to change leader portraits, Paradox) but I went ahead with creating the potential portraits for the United States presidents.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Phi230 posted:

I mean it does seem silly that they made it so Afghanistan can beat Germany in an open fight on day 1

I've lost track of who is sperging ironically or not, but I hope this is not a serious post.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

ExtraNoise posted:

Continued work on the modern mod, US holiday special edition. I have no idea if HoI4 has an election system in place (probably not) or if I can get away with just using events (please please please include a way to change leader portraits, Paradox) but I went ahead with creating the potential portraits for the United States presidents.

In streams we've seen the US run by republicans, so it seems easily possible.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
The gameplay argument is probably that Germany, if they started with lvl5 generals, would be able to train further commanders during the early wars, giving them a decisive edge over UK and SU, while those countries don't have as much opportunity, so they get their 5s for free at the start of the game.

Still not happy about it, because the inexperience of their leaders in the context of a "modern" war was a major problem for the allies.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

People itt are actually mad that their favorite Nazis don't have the best stats

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
It bugged me more that Germany was able to complete their entire doctrine tree (including the "desperate defense" stuff like conscripting the disabled and elderly if you so choose) before the war starts.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009

ExtraNoise posted:

Obama looks whiter than Paul.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

wukkar posted:

Obama looks whiter than Paul.

8 years of drone bombings didn't key you in?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

ExtraNoise posted:

bottom-right makes me very happy

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Can't find a single reference to a "John Montague" anywhere. I'll dip by the Regimental museum to flip through the Army yearbooks from the war years.

Thomas Victor Anderson was the pre-war head of the Army and replaced in 1940, but it's a fair choice.

Charles Foulkes was a fairly typical division commander.

I have no idea how Harry Crerar was left out. :canada:

Gort posted:

It bugged me more that Germany was able to complete their entire doctrine tree (including the "desperate defense" stuff like conscripting the disabled and elderly if you so choose) before the war starts.

I noticed that too. It seems like national focus and doctrine doesn't take very long at all to research. In WWW France will be done before too long.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

PleasingFungus posted:

bottom-right makes me very happy

It's all you really need, honestly.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I support anything that pisses off fans of noted Nazi war criminal Erwin Rommel

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

ExtraNoise posted:

I assume Jeb is in there as a joke option?

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Extra Noise please make a pony leaders mod thanks.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

Paradox, please make Rommel a furry like he was in real life (why else would he be called the "Desert Fox"?)

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

He was a terrorist and attempted to assassinate a democratically elected leader.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

TheFluff posted:

He was a terrorist and attempted to assassinate a democratically elected leader.

Wasn't that Claus von Stauffenberg? Who curiously isn't listed as a possible commander for German either.

Paradox's rightist leftist bias is showing through.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Wasn't that Claus von Stauffenberg? Who curiously isn't listed as a possible commander for German either.

Paradox's rightist leftist bias is showing through.

idk man I don't let LIEberal "facts" get in the way of calling out the true terrorists, I know he was complicit

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

It's a tad puzzling why Arleigh Burke is an Old Guard but that's the silliest sort of thing to complain about.

texasmed
May 27, 2004
These revelations with respect to generals explain why we probably won't get those nifty Wikipedia links like Crusader Kings 2 has. I have a crazy idea, let's make a history war game with generals able to fill roles they actually did in history. Is that going to be DLC?

super late edit: i pretty much stumbled upon this in 10 seconds of searching https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commanders_of_World_War_II

edit 2: I figure I can watch the modding stream and fix what I want in a couple days but I really want to whine my rear end off about this right now since I can't play the game

texasmed fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 29, 2016

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
my favorite nazi general def had a skill level of 5 irl

just saying

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Good news, a mod has been announced that will accurately portray developments in boot technology between the different belligerent powers

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/early-mod-first-ideas.925091/

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

texasmed posted:

These revelations with respect to generals explain why we probably won't get those nifty Wikipedia links like Crusader Kings 2 has. I have a crazy idea, let's make a history war game with generals able to fill roles they actually did in history. Is that going to be DLC?

Generals as CK2 nobility. I'm telling everyone it'll be hilarious if nothing else.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Enjoy posted:

Good news, a mod has been announced that will accurately portray developments in boot technology between the different belligerent powers

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/early-mod-first-ideas.925091/

I have my fair share of terribly Grog ideas for HoI4 mods, but that was too much for me.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

ArchangeI posted:

I have my fair share of terribly Grog ideas for HoI4 mods, but that was too much for me.

But does it accurately portray what happens when you start facing material shortages and lack of production facilities? I want cardboard boots, drat it!

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Darkrenown posted:

As you can see from the failed invasion of the USSR, German generals were useless :colbert:

Obviously just a waste and the Germans should just not use Generals at all.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

TheFluff posted:

Yeah I was being glib with the D&D talking point but Rommel was pretty enthusiastic about the whole Nazi thing in the beginning and I hate the "clean Werhrmacht" bullshit.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Groogy posted:

Obviously just a waste and the Germans should just not use Generals at all.

Hearts of Iron 4: Hitler's Ambition dlc

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Pop and Loch Nessy posted:

Extra Noise please make a pony leaders mod thanks.

I read this as giving all the leaders ponytails at first which would also be cool

Neobdragon
Jun 30, 2013
Supported coups taking pre-coup party popularity numbers in determining the coup strength seems off. In the latest World War Wednesday, they start supporting a coup in Spain while Communist support is at 10% but by the time it fires, support is nearly at 50%. The coup that takes place is using the 10% popularity number and so only a single division is spawned, pretty lame and doesn't make much sense, hope they change this mechanic before launch.

Also will the AI be manipulating party popularity and attempting Coups?

I know minors aren't supposed to have many Generals and I'm thankful for the ability to generate more with Political Power, but Peoples Republic definitely needs more than 1 general, how am I going to 100-regiment offensive the Japanese with just Mao Zedong leading the charge.

Neobdragon fucked around with this message at 01:53 on May 29, 2016

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Frosted Flake posted:

Can't find a single reference to a "John Montague" anywhere. I'll dip by the Regimental museum to flip through the Army yearbooks from the war years.

I have no idea how Harry Crerar was left out. :canada:

I think John Montague may be from another country.

Crerar could be an army political advisor instead of a military leader like McNaughton and Billy Bishop likely are. That doesnt make a ton of sense but it's Paradox -- their research about some countries is a little haphazard.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 29, 2016

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Neobdragon posted:

Supported coups taking pre-coup party popularity numbers in determining the coup strength seems off. In the latest World War Wednesday, they start supporting a coup in Spain while Communist support is at 10% but by the time it fires, support is nearly at 50%. The coup that takes place is using the 10% popularity number and so only a single division is spawned, pretty lame and doesn't make much sense, hope they change this mechanic before launch.

Also will the AI be manipulating party popularity and attempting Coups?

I know minors aren't supposed to have many Generals and I'm thankful for the ability to generate more with Political Power, but Peoples Republic definitely needs more than 1 general, how am I going to 100-regiment offensive the Japanese with just Mao Zedong leading the charge.

thankfully, you won't need anyone except Mao

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Neobdragon posted:

I would have thought they'd get Zhu De and Zhou Enlai at the very least.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

edit: wrong thread

LostCosmonaut fucked around with this message at 05:21 on May 29, 2016

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

LostCosmonaut posted:

Get a 25 tile Gaia planet adjacent to my home system, so naturally the game compensates by having an anomaly blow up my science ship a year later. Still, think I came out ahead.

I see the secret Nazi space program is far ahead of schedule.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

LostCosmonaut posted:

Get a 25 tile Gaia planet adjacent to my home system, so naturally the game compensates by having an anomaly blow up my science ship a year later. Still, think I came out ahead.

I've been getting these recently as well but I didn't see them before 1.1.0 so I guess they were bugged? I guess it's good that there's some risk now

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I want to play as Kim Il-sung liberating the Korean people from the barbaric yoke of the Japanese devils.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I hope sounds will be moddable. If I cannot crush Europe under the authentic-sounding heel of the Mark V mod 1938 Hugo Boss jackboot the whole game might as well be a digital buttplug as far as I'm concerned. (The Mk V mod 1938 will give a large bonus to morale and attack balanced by a reduction in reliability to simulate the admittedly high polishing burden it historically placed on the soldier).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Wait what thread are we in