Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

Barakamon mentioned above is a good choice.

Shirobako hits two out of three - it's adult characters (don't let the opening of episode 1 fool you) and has some solid character moments and comedy, but it's not really mellow in the way that Flying Witch or Tanaka-kun are.

I wouldn't really call Shirobako a comedy, exactly. It has jokes sure, but it also has a fair amount of serious drama. It is very good though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Maybe Moyashimon? It's about some friends going to an argricultural university so mostly adult schoolkids :) It's pretty funny and has a neat gimmick where the main character can see and talk to microbes! They learn a lot about fermentation and how to make sake and have fun college adventures!

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Sesquiculus posted:

I haven’t really watched anime since the late nineties, but a couple of shows on Netflix and the simulwatch thread here have reignited my interest. I’m looking for mellow, character-focused comedies, preferably with adult characters and not schoolkids. I don’t really have an interest in over-the-top goofy comedies or action stuff.

shirokuma cafe, wakako-zake

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Sesquiculus posted:

I haven’t really watched anime since the late nineties, but a couple of shows on Netflix and the simulwatch thread here have reignited my interest. I’m looking for mellow, character-focused comedies, preferably with adult characters and not schoolkids. I don’t really have an interest in over-the-top goofy comedies or action stuff.

While it's set in a high school, Hyouka sounds like it's more or less exactly what you're looking for. Very relaxed, light-hearted mystery show with great characters and some fantastic direction/animation. Most of the characters are a fair bit more mature than in most anime set in high-schools, so you shouldn't really need to worry about them putting you off. Be warned, mind, that the show was never actually licensed by anybody, so it's not officially available in English. Still, highly recommended.

I'd also recommend Steins;Gate, although with the proviso that it's not really as mellow as you're probably looking for, and the main character (while great) can be pretty goofy. Nonetheless, it's a sci-fi mystery/drama/comedy, quite character-focused, and most of the characters are university students. It's also excellent, has a great dub if you feel like trying it, and is on Netflix in several countries to boot.

EDIT: Also seconding recommendations for Shirobako which have already been made. Fantastic show, well worth watching.

Sesquiculus
Aug 15, 2002

StandardVC10 posted:

Shirobako hits two out of three - it's adult characters (don't let the opening of episode 1 fool you) and has some solid character moments and comedy, but it's not really mellow in the way that Flying Witch or Tanaka-kun are.

Oh, I forgot to put Shirobako on the list. I watched the first four episodes but it reminded me a bit too much of my job to be funny. I may give it another shot when I have more time.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone!

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

K-on

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Knorth posted:

Maybe Moyashimon? It's about some friends going to an argricultural university so mostly adult schoolkids :) It's pretty funny and has a neat gimmick where the main character can see and talk to microbes! They learn a lot about fermentation and how to make sake and have fun college adventures!

I liked Moyashimon when it first aired but I can't help but think of it as a worse Silver Spoon. I mean it does feature high school kids but they deal with some pretty heavy stuff sometimes!

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Nate RFB posted:

I liked Moyashimon when it first aired but I can't help but think of it as a worse Silver Spoon

Nope! :mad:

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Although, SIlver Spoon is also a pretty good recommendation too if they're willing to relax the school kids thing, plus I thought the humour in Silver Spoon was a bit goofier

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nate RFB posted:

I liked Moyashimon when it first aired but I can't help but think of it as a worse Silver Spoon. I mean it does feature high school kids but they deal with some pretty heavy stuff sometimes!

Silver Spoon is a worse Moyashimon :colbert:

They're both good and different enough to be worth watching though

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The cast in Silver Spoon is just so endearing, there's nothing even close to that level of character development in Moyashimon IMO. From what I recall of the manga too Moyashimon never really went anywhere interesting in its later arcs whereas Silver Spoon just kept getting better and better (though sadly its release schedule has gotten kind of hosed).

Sesquiculus
Aug 15, 2002

Knorth posted:

Although, SIlver Spoon is also a pretty good recommendation too if they're willing to relax the school kids thing, plus I thought the humour in Silver Spoon was a bit goofier

I'll give it a shot. The characters-who-are-adults thing is just a preference - pretty much all of the shows I've watched and enjoyed recently involved some high school drama.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
From what I hear silver spoon is a better manga than anime. Unless things picked up past season 1

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i vastly preferred season 1 of silver spoon. the production values felt a bit better and it had less of a focus on horses, the worst animal

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Captain Invictus posted:

From what I hear silver spoon is a better manga than anime. Unless things picked up past season 1
The anime is good but the manga, at least when it was releasing chapters consistently, would probably be in the running for my favorite ongoing series. It's fan-loving-tastic. Hiromu Arakawa is a very good author!!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Davincie posted:

i vastly preferred season 1 of silver spoon. the production values felt a bit better and it had less of a focus on horses, the worst animal

Horses will gently caress You Up and not even care

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh my god Space Dandy.

Thank you, it's loving awesome.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Turtlicious posted:

Oh my god Space Dandy.

Thank you, it's loving awesome.

Yes. Yes it is.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Alright, so another list of potential series I've either heard about or seen pop up in the random series list that I'd like to ask if they're worth reading or not.

Accel World
Akame ga Kill
Big Order
Boku to Majo no Jikan
Doubutsu no Oishasan
Gisele Alain
Hajiotsu.
Hohzuki Island
Koi Inu
Ore no Ko desu ka?
Perfect Twin
QED
ReLIFE

No major details needed, just whether they're good, or go all trainwreck-ey, or are just bad series in general, etc.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Good: Gisele Alain

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Alright, so another list of potential series I've either heard about or seen pop up in the random series list that I'd like to ask if they're worth reading or not.

Accel World
Akame ga Kill
Big Order
Boku to Majo no Jikan
Doubutsu no Oishasan
Gisele Alain
Hajiotsu.
Hohzuki Island
Koi Inu
Ore no Ko desu ka?
Perfect Twin
QED
ReLIFE

No major details needed, just whether they're good, or go all trainwreck-ey, or are just bad series in general, etc.

no
no
no
dunno, probably not
dunno
yes
yes
no
dunno
dunno
dunno
dunno
no

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Gonna comment on two i've actually (partially) read:

Disagreeing with above on Hajiotsu, it's a bad execution on an already dumb gimmick. P. much a waste of time.

As for Hohzuki Island, i'd give a tentative Read It. It's by the guy who did Erased, but back in the days when he still needed to cram in fanservice to get published. It deals with similar themes as Erased (kids and bad things happening to them), but on a more traditional horror than psychological twist. Thankfully, from what i remember the fanservice is mostly kept to the busty teacher, but if memory serves a little fanservice won't scare you off anyways.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Captain Invictus posted:

Accel World
Akame ga Kill
Big Order
Boku to Majo no Jikan
Doubutsu no Oishasan
Gisele Alain
Hajiotsu.
Hohzuki Island
Koi Inu
Ore no Ko desu ka?
Perfect Twin
QED
ReLIFE

don't know
its trashy but i like it, probably ending within the year too.
dunno
i like it but translation is so infrequent i wouldn't start now, it'll never finish
don't know
yeah
double yeah
don't know
its okay
don't know
don't know
see majo
yes

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
QED is Legally Distinct Japanese Encyclopedia Brown solving murders in the late 90s, complete with Sally Kimball (although no Bugs Meany).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I have no idea what that means. I think I read one encyclopedia brown book when I was like 5

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Is there anything out there fairly similar to Yukikaze? Well made, fairly serious, adult cast of characters that act like humans, preferably interspersed with awesome battle sequences (mech, planes, or otherwise)?

Also apparently Tom Cruise is attached to do a live action movie for Yukikaze, which makes me laugh because I once described Yukikaze to a friend as "a slightly gayer version of Top Gun, with aliens."

Chocobo fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 28, 2016

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

space battleship yamato 2199

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b6q0swc8MM

Davincie fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 28, 2016

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Oh, holy poo poo that might actually be the ticket. I actually remember watching an episode or two and decided to wait so I could marathon it later on. (I wanted to check it out because I saw the live action movie where everyone dies.) Thanks for the reminder.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the live action movie is incredibly worse and really ruins most of the best parts of the show so enjoy the better version :yum:

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Definitely check out the animated movie when you've seen the show though. That one is good

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Moyashimon is good overall but the three(?)-episode long let's buy mind control drugs from our professor and use them to turn our classmates into sex slaves! arc makes an otherwise sympathetic protagonist look like both a complete imbecile (for believing it could work) and a massive creep.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Chocobo posted:

Oh, holy poo poo that might actually be the ticket. I actually remember watching an episode or two and decided to wait so I could marathon it later on. (I wanted to check it out because I saw the live action movie where everyone dies.) Thanks for the reminder.

Hey, that's not true. 11 people make it out okay!

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

I'd like to ask for some suggestions for sci-fi watching material, please.
To be a little bit more specific, what I'm looking for I guess is old-fashioned adventures but in space. People being heroes, trying to stop problems, bad guys being bad, etc. I'm not against political intrigue or cosmic horror or humans are the real monstersssssss, but I'd like to keep things focused on ADVENTURE :black101:
EDIT: Space Opera. That's the term. Oops. :v:

I just recently finished Outlaw Star and I loved the hell out of it, currently going through Cowboy Bebop and Space Pirate Captain Harlock and they're pretty fun as well. Tried Space Dandy, wasn't really 100% on it and dropped it at about episode 10. People keep suggesting Bubblegum Crisis.

TerminusEst13 fucked around with this message at 23:17 on May 28, 2016

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

TerminusEst13 posted:

To be a little bit more specific, what I'm looking for I guess is old-fashioned adventures but in space. People being heroes, trying to stop problems, bad guys being bad, etc. I'm not against political intrigue or cosmic horror or humans are the real monstersssssss, but I'd like to keep things focused on ADVENTURE :black101:

I just recently finished Outlaw Star and I loved the hell out of it, currently going through Cowboy Bebop and Space Pirate Captain Harlock and they're pretty fun as well. Tried Space Dandy, wasn't really 100% on it and dropped it at about episode 10. People keep suggesting Bubblegum Crisis.

It's what I was thinking of when I read your post, too! The original Bubblegum Crisis is a good fit if you're looking for some corny sci-fi action fun.

edit:
For something that's not so corny but still really fun, Birdy The Mighty: Decode is one I can highly recommend. It's a more modern (and longer!) series with an interesting main concept and it's got some great fun character interplay. It's great.

esselfortium fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 28, 2016

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
birdy the mighty decode season 1 is alright, but it's really worth watching for season 2, which is imo one of the loving coolest character driven sci-fi stories ever. and bubblegum crisis is really awesome, too

you could also watch dirty pair, which is about a pair of space cops fighting crime in space and on alien planets.

i really love space dandy but i can understand why you'd drop it if you're looking for a space adventure thing, since it's really more of a showcase for a huge mishmash of directors making their own individual stories featuring the same cast of characters

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

TerminusEst13 posted:

scroll up and look at space battleship yamato 2199. besides that you should also check out various other leiji matsumoto series since the majority of them (sb2199 is more a serialized story with a couple of one off episodes) follow the old stand alone adventure format. im going through galaxy railways now and besides a few rough episodes in the first 10 its excellent. his galaxy express 999 is an absolute classic and the base for many later space adventure anime. he also did harlock which you're already watching and you'll notice many similarities between the shows, mainly in character design

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

TerminusEst13 posted:

I'll second the recommendation for Space Battleship Yamato 2199. It's pretty much exactly what you're after, and it's excellent.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Isn't space adventure cobra the go to series people recommend for that sort of thing? Or whatever it's called.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Isn't space adventure cobra the go to series people recommend for that sort of thing? Or whatever it's called.

Yes. What he was describing was pretty much space adventure cobra