Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Only a 5d3 with Magic Lantern, if you want RAW video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I have shot plenty of video (for work even) with XE1. Manual video is fine with older Fuji body.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 27, 2016

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Isn't volume control not a huge deal either since you can just record audio on a dedicated device for things that need to sound good? I bought a Tascam DR-22WL a while back for a project that never panned out and for a $100 device it sounds pretty great and is super easy to use.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So Samyang's cheaper Chinese cousin, Meike is releasing 3 new APSC lens. They have mounts for Sony/Fuji/m43/Canon/Nikon too.

The prices are quite cheap
28mm/2.8 $86
35mm/1.7 $90
50mm/2.0 $77

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/1196450

Don't asks me why they are in FF focal length instead of APSC appropriate focal length.

Anyone want to give them a try.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Yeah RAW video isn't a deal breaker, but no volume control kind of is. You can use an external recorder and that's what I do, but it's more work in post and some people prefer to use a preamp setup that needs to plug in to the camera directly and the XPro2 still doesn't have a headphone jack and still uses a 2.5mm input that you'll probably have to adapt.

Fuji lenses are also not ideal for video since they focus by wire and it's difficult to impossible to use any kind of follow focus system or find accurate focusing "stops".

They also record at a low bit rate, 36 vs. the GH4's 100. No log recording options, no 4K, no clean HDMI output for external recorders, etc. etc.

My X-T1 starts to overheat at around 45 minutes of continuous recording time.

Granted these things are all "if you need it" kinda deals and it's totally fine for home movies but if you're actually looking to do professional video work, Fuji isn't the best.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

whatever7 posted:

So Samyang's cheaper Chinese cousin, Meike is releasing 3 new APSC lens. They have mounts for Sony/Fuji/m43/Canon/Nikon too.

The prices are quite cheap
28mm/2.8 $86
35mm/1.7 $90
50mm/2.0 $77

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/1196450

Don't asks me why they are in FF focal length instead of APSC appropriate focal length.

Anyone want to give them a try.

They're probably old manual focus lens designs (especially those ones with the old-school M42-type focusing rings) where all they did was reverse-engineer the existing design, adapt it for smaller/cheaper lenses and then call it good. The only thing even approaching a bargain with those lenses is the 35mm f/1.7, otherwise you might as well go find some old glass and a cheap adapter and get the same or better results for less money.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
You can pick up the sigma 2.8 primes for MFT and E mount second hand for the same money.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

learnincurve posted:

You can pick up the sigma 2.8 primes for MFT and E mount second hand for the same money.

Good point but these are in different focal length and are available in more mounts.

Also there are other 35mm/1.7 c mount lens.

If they have the 28mm/2.8 for cheap I wouldn't mind getting one to do a comparison with my AIS 28mm/2.8.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

learnincurve posted:

I have the Panasonic 14-42 and the olympus 14-42 and neither of them suck in fact they are both perfectly acceptable when used outside.

The problem is trying to use 3.5-5.6 inside and expecting the same results as iso 100 on a sunny day. iso will go up, and IQ will tank. Skip anything less than f/2.8 for indoor photography (although I'm not sure he would even be happy with that), chasing a bargain in kit form will just haemorrhage money, and get the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 or the 25mm f/1.4

Yeah man, they're all fine at f8. And I don't care about noise or fine image detail in these situations. I just want even performance in the center, with symmetrical decrease in sharpness toward the edges. There has to be at least one kit lens in the m43 lineup that has good centering across the zoom range.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I think you may have had a bad copy of the Panasonic 14-42. Most of them are amazingly sharp across the zoom range but there are a few dogs. I ended up giving mine to my mother so she could buy a body only and regret it.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
I recently picked up a Wesley 34mm 1.7 lens for my Lumix G7, it's pretty awesome.

Has the added benefit of making me concentrate on aperture/shutter speed to get exposure rather than relying on priority modes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371620748530?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

If I wasn't so lazy I'd link some sample shots, but I haven't gone outside my backyard to test it out yet.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I've heard of a Michael lens, but never Wesley. I'm surprised there isn't a Thomas.

learnincurve posted:

I think you may have had a bad copy of the Panasonic 14-42. Most of them are amazingly sharp across the zoom range but there are a few dogs. I ended up giving mine to my mother so she could buy a body only and regret it.

I think you're right, and I'm an idiot for not returning it when I was still within the window to do so. (KEH I thought you were better than this.. and you can't even keep my identity safe!)

Speaking of which, has anyone else gotten a letter from KEH telling them that their servers got breached and they're offering free ID protection service to potentially affected customers?

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
It has a ridiculous DOF at 1.7

Sorry for the cat picture, but it shows it's decently sharp, pretty impressed for a $90 lens.

This is straight from camera.

Whoops, totally missed focus on the eyes, got her ear instead.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Haha I also have that 33mm 1. 6 "Shanzhai" c-mount lens. Someone brought it for me directly from China. I think it was like $60.

Only used it once though. It has this quirk that the focus ring floats back and fore, so I can't manually put a focus distance scale sticker on the focus ring. I tried to find some sample photos on my flickr page and to me surprise I don't have any.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 28, 2016

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
XE2+18-55mm f/2.8-4 bundle $689
http://www.adorama.com/IFJXE2BK.html?utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_source=rflaid62905
Both black and silver versions available.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
Is the X-Pro2 + a WR lens good enough to purposely shoot in the rain?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Anarkii posted:

Probably. I haven't had any issue with mine in the rain but I haven't shot in a heavy rain.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Picked up a X-Mount to M42 adapter to use all of my analog lenses. Man, this in combo with the focus peek is a dream.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Anarkii posted:

if you are "purposely" shooting in the rain, then get something like this:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Rain-Capes-Covers-Slickers/ci/3313/N/4075788778

I mean, theoretically the camera & lens are weather sealed by why risk it when rain covers are so cheap? not to mention it's kind of a pain to shoot with a camera that is slippery from being in a downpour.

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

BlackMK4 posted:

Picked up a X-Mount to M42 adapter to use all of my analog lenses. Man, this in combo with the focus peek is a dream.

Any particular lenses you'd suggest trying out? I have an M42 adapter in the mail from amazon and picked up a Super Takumar 55/1.8 and 135/3.5 off of craigslist for $30 total today to get started, but other suggestions would be great.

ape
Jul 20, 2009
The 35mm 3.5 super takumar is great, too.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
This is a dumb question but is there a benefit to set the sensor to a lower resolution? For example, I have an a5100 which has a 24mp sensor. Is there any benefit if I set the camera to take 16mp photos?

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(
I've been using the GX85 and a6300 for the past day, and I think I'm going to return the a6300 and keep the GX85.

The a6300 definitely has advantages over the Panasonic: the EFV looks much better, the AF is better, the battery lasts longer, supposedly weather-resistant, and right now the pics look better (because I bought the 35mm 1.8, while the GX85 is with the kit lens -- though I bet the Sony still has an edge overall).

THAT SAID (and sure this is probably influenced by all of the stupid dumb reviews I have been reading over and over bc I am dumb): I hate feeling like Sony does not really "care" about this camera, aka overheating while recording 4K (happened to me on a warm-ish day), amazingly bad menu design, no touch screen, and poor lens selection (at least for me: I want something more wide-angle than 35mm, but still smallish and not crazy expensive). Just stupid design decisions that give me little faith that my user experience matters to them & makes it tough to spend $1400 on their stuff. I also honestly don't need the best AF performance, and it seems like that's where the Sony really rules. Also for whatever reason Panasonic is giving 3-year warranties on their cameras right now (if you send in proof of purchase), which tbh is sorta nice.

SO I will keep the GX85 I think (still sorta want to get the XT-2 when it releases tho oops, or actually maybe X200). I'm looking at lenses, and it seems like the Panasonic 15mm 1.7 is what I should get. Any other recommendations for fast, wide-ish, smallish, not super expensive lenses?

grahm fucked around with this message at 08:43 on May 29, 2016

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
your 2nd paragraph makes me think you're dumb for choosing the GX85 over the a6300
choosing a camera is all about touchy-feely "looks good" "sounds good" "feels good" intangibles, but you listed a ton of them with points towards sony

the olympus 12mm and 17mm are generally better reviewed than their <20mm panasonic counterparts and have a nice "manual focus" ring snap, but the panasonic 25mm 1.4 is really good and has a half stop advantage.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Why are you putting money into a m43 if you really want Fuji? Buy a Fuji and then build your collection from there. If you stay with the GX85 and build up your m43 stuff, then it'll be more difficult to switch to Fuji later. I mean I'm hardly the biggest Fuji fan in the world, but drat.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I think we might be right back to fuji not being the best option for video.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Let's talk about how Fuji is not the best: They wanted to charge me $150 to put the connector door back on my out of warranty X-T1.

:shepface:

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

learnincurve posted:

I think we might be right back to fuji not being the best option for video.

But then why get a Fuji at all? It's not like the image quality out of an X-T2 is going to be worth keeping around two systems for. Honestly kinda sounds like grahm has a case of the gear lust that pretty much everyone has gone through.

You said originally that you're using these for SM posts? Considering the amount of compression that IG and Twitter applies to pictures I think you might be way overthinking things.

As for the problems with the a6300, overheating is definitely an issue, I shot with one last week and it overheated after maybe 25 minutes of recording in a hot as hell kitchen. I'd imagine that under normal room temperature you could probably get away with an hour or so. Depends on how much you need to shoot and if you need the 4K I guess.

In your original post you mentioned that you were running up against limitations with your 6s+ which has a pretty drat fine camera. What limitations are those? If you described what doper/better looking pics means to you it might be a little easier to make a recommendation.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

not everyone must buy a Fuji that enters the thread and I made the same choice RE: feel vs features with Olympus VR a6000.

You'll get better AF once you ditch the kit i would assume. I like the Panasonic 20 pancake, the first version but autofocus is slow. If that'll allow you to just throw the camera in your pocket I highly recommend it. Any of the 25s are good.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
G85 is a good camera for the price.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It worries me when people read reviews and start chasing better bodies that are only one generation older than one they already have, like it's a magic bullet which will fix everything, when the reality is that the money would be much better spent on a trip to the zoo or a carnival.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

learnincurve posted:

It worries me when people read reviews and start chasing better bodies that are only one generation older than one they already have, like it's a magic bullet which will fix everything, when the reality is that the money would be much better spent on a trip to the zoo or a carnival.

That much is true. If you're a pro, and your business is paying for your gear, sure. Or if you're well-to-do and the difference in prices can be covered easily by your walking around money, ok. But the price difference between an a6000 and an a6300 would pay for a trip to Iceland (or a lot of other places besides).

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
It's easy to get caught up in gear hype though, so I understand the chase for shiny. I see these awesome photos from other photographers, look at what gear they are using, and imagine myself getting the same great photos if I just had x body or y lens. Once you realize you're a poo poo photographer, the chase for latest and greatest fizzles out.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
What helped to cure my GAS was going on Flickr and looking up photos that people were taking with the same camera/lenses - there's some amazing stuff that can be done even with a kit lens on any system.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
What cured mine was that we had a print of Aladdin Sane by Brian Duffy on the wall in my parents house for as long as I could remember (the one with his eyes open) and 30 something years later someone pointed out the red eye to me

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

surrender posted:

What helped to cure my GAS was going on Flickr and looking up photos that people were taking with the same camera/lenses - there's some amazing stuff that can be done even with a kit lens on any system.

And the inverse, looking at pictures taken by scrubs with the gear you are lusting after.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Animal posted:

And the inverse, looking at pictures taken by scrubs with the gear you are lusting after.

I do notice a much higher proportion of HDR taken on Sony equipment than any other gear...

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I’m not too worried about the XT-2. I have yet to find a situation where the 1 has failed me. Still an incredible camera.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(
Hey I appreciate all of the replies even though I feel like my what-should-I-buy posts are turning this into some other, more terrible forum. V sorry and I promise I'm almost done.

For now I think I am going to say "gently caress video" and hop on that EX-2 deal from Adorama (thx to whoever posted that). $690 is a nice 1/2 of the $1400 the Sony setup costs, and if I'm crazy into it and become the world's most professional photographer I can get the XT-2 (and already have a decent lens for it), or if I'm mildly into it I can keep the EX-2 and be very happy, or if I quit all of my jobs and burrow underground and live there and never take photos again I'm not out too much $$ (comparatively) and can probably eBay it and make back most of what I paid since it's a good deal and comes with free stuff. Cool

For reference the two Insta accounts I run are @dapperandwise and @lateshake. The latest photo on each was taken with the a6300. Not amazing photos but def achieving a vibe you can't get with the iPhone. 99% of the rest are with the iPhone. We do have video stuff on the D&W account that my friend recorded with a GH2 -- I'll probably just continue to hire him and stick to taking photos. The idea of video sounded fun but when I think about sitting down and editing it I do not love that thought. On the other hand I like editing photos and I've enjoyed starting to learn Lightroom.

AGAIN thanks for the help and replies :) ;) ;) ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Animal posted:

On of the things that deflated my appreciation for my a6000 was the massive amount of HDR and bad travel snapshots that people seemed to take with it on Flickr. I guess its wider availability is part of the reason for that. Weird thing to gaf about, I know.

Not that the OM-D groups have it a whole lot better, it seems. I tend to like the results I get from searching for fuji X stuff the most out of all the mirrorless brands. No lie - I don't even shoot fuji myself.

Borachon posted:

Any particular lenses you'd suggest trying out? I have an M42 adapter in the mail from amazon and picked up a Super Takumar 55/1.8 and 135/3.5 off of craigslist for $30 total today to get started, but other suggestions would be great.

Zeiss Jena Flektogon 35mm f/2.4. Speaking of Flickr, search for it there. The bokeh is very distinctive. Seems to have come into higher demand these days, but worth it IMO if you can find it for under $200.