Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
i read everything above "Meet Lagom" and I have no idea what it is: https://www.lightbend.com/lagom

and the words i understood, i didn't like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

prefect posted:

what does it mean when a programming language is described as "expressive"?

e.g. Flat learning curve

Concise, readable and expressive syntax, easy to learn for Java developers

it means "delightful"

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

prefect posted:

e.g. Flat learning curve

"my personal use cases require fewer key presses"

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Wheany posted:

i read everything above "Meet Lagom" and I have no idea what it is: https://www.lightbend.com/lagom

and the words i understood, i didn't like

looking at it, Lagom looks like a service framework that's integrated with akka for orchestration and communication. you can go from a monolith process (run akka with all operations on the same jvm) to process isolation (run multiple jvms on the same box) to full on distributed (jvms in different area codes) in a flexible and gradual way.

I'd be interested in seeing what their benchmarks are for running very large distributed akka clusters, but I don't think their customer base even needs very large.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

FamDav posted:

you can go from a monolith process (run akka with all operations on the same jvm) to process isolation (run multiple jvms on the same box) to full on distributed (jvms in different area codes) in a flexible and gradual way.

if that's what it does, maybe they should say that on the front page like a boss

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
is it like a framework for migrating bad legacy enterprise code to a more modern architecture?

like percona but for applications??

because that seems like a good idea but also impossible

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

is it like a framework for migrating bad legacy enterprise code to a more modern architecture?

like percona but for applications??

because that seems like a good idea but also impossible

IMO it's probably difficult in most because of the way enterprise code integrates with other business processes. The processes are probably bad but might be very hard to change. And if you're not proposing changing any functionality then why bother? (Cost and reliability perhaps but replacing exisitng, functional code is also risky)

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Wheany posted:

if that's what it does, maybe they should say that on the front page like a boss

yeah their front page is needlessly generic and I'm half guessing based on their dumb videos. it looks like they kind of explain the feature set here http://www.lagomframework.com/documentation/1.0.x/WhatIsLagom.html .

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
im sure this will be just as much of a hit as kotlin is turning out to be

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
kotlin at least has a community of people interested in it .

though between Java getting better and the scala community coming out of the desert to commune with society I don't see much of a place for it beyond I guess raising android out of its fair use cesspool

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

FamDav posted:

kotlin at least has a community of people interested in it .

though between Java getting better and the scala community coming out of the desert to commune with society I don't see much of a place for it beyond I guess raising android out of its fair use cesspool

only jetbrains cares about kotlin

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

FamDav posted:

yeah their front page is needlessly generic and I'm half guessing based on their dumb videos. it looks like they kind of explain the feature set here http://www.lagomframework.com/documentation/1.0.x/WhatIsLagom.html .

their front page says nothing and looks like this: http://www.novolume.co.uk/blog/all-websites-look-the-same/

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

prefect posted:

It's easy to create noncomposable spaghetti code unless everybody uses your framework, through the use of "advanced" features such as macros and custom syntax.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
basically you can make todomvc in only a few lines

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i reject that ruby and languages like it are expresssive because expressiveness also includes the ability to express constraints on your code.

basically, types and all the things associated with non dynamic languages that give you the ability to make your code more restrictive and safe ARE a very important kind of expression and languages without these features are not expressive, imo.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i reject that ruby and languages like it are expresssive because expressiveness also includes the ability to express constraints on your code.

basically, types and all the things associated with non dynamic languages that give you the ability to make your code more restrictive and safe ARE a very important kind of expression and languages without these features are not expressive, imo.

this post is correct as gently caress

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

prefect posted:

e.g. Flat learning curve

lots of sassy answers itt. making GBS threads on plangs aside, it just means a language's syntax with various options to express the same thing

like for example, most languages has the "if" statement. ruby also has the "unless" statement, which is basically just "if not"

ruby is an extreme case, but you could also say that languages with the "do while" statement are more expressive (in this regard) than languages that doesn't. (eg python is less expressive than c)

expressiveness may not be necessarily a good thing, as you can see by people's reaction itt

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

that's why people say stuff like "expressive syntax" (ruby) vs "expressive typing system" (ml)

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
redundancy is not expressiveness e.g. if not vs unless

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
uh, unless allows me to express things in the most confusing way possible

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

expressiveness is language design buzzword bingo

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

fleshweasel posted:

I mostly agree that poo poo like unless is redundant (and annoying when people use it as guards). sometimes it's redundant and bad (python's for-else). sometimes it's... just redundant like do-while and I don't feel anything about it

but then there's stuff like foreach which is super great and expressive in a good way. loving off by one errors because I didn't pay enough attention to the index. gently caress indices.

but then turbogreybeards hate foreach because it's ~~redundant~~

Symbolic Butt fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 28, 2016

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
well, for is redundant if you have while, so gently caress what they think

also foreach is way better than for so if we have to get rid of one i know which one it should be

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I'd say expressiveness is at least partially a measure of how much of the language syntax is devoted to the execution (control flow) of the program vs. the specification of the program. Basically, how much of the syntax is for the computer vs how much is for the user. C's expressiveness is low: it lacks any vocabulary to talk about specification at all really. Everything is expressed in terms of what the computer should do next, and the programmer must ensure that whatever the computer is doing meets the intended specification.

C++ (and most of its other imperative friends) improve on expressiveness by adding generics, classes, and various other things that don't help the computer execute the program, but do allow the user to say what they mean. Haskell takes it to another level by almost completely abstracting the execution model away and only providing a vocabulary for specification (i.e., nothing in Haskell tells the computer what to do next, only what the program is). APL is the most expressive language there is, I guess. Brainfuck may be the least expressive one that I can think of, because its vocabulary is tiny and completely devoted to the execution model.

Languages without static type systems are definitely low on the list as well because you necessarily end up using control flow constructs and unit tests as a substitute for type safety, so your program's specification ends up encoded in a bunch of ways (assertions, if-statements, exceptions) that are directly tied to control flow. Runtime failure is an anomaly of the execution model, so if you're forced to write programs whose specification is encoded that way (or alternatively, not encoded at all), then it's not a very expressive language.

weird
Jun 4, 2012

by zen death robot
expressive is a synonym for elegant, it means 'good'

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

two wrong inferences out of two, gj

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

fleshweasel posted:

On x86, mov is Turing complete. All other instructions are redundant.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

JewKiller 3000 posted:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

MrPablo posted:

How do you do a conditional branch with MOV

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

expressiveness allows me to uniquely express my art (what you call code)

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

JewKiller 3000 posted:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

watch as I artis-anally craft you a code

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

MrPablo posted:

i've got nand gates, everything else is syntactic sugar

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

Mr Dog posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7EEoWg6Ekk

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Mr Dog posted:

you don't

it's more like predicated execution, the code path's going to happen no matter what, the compiler swaps in a dummy address base for the operations and they affect a part of the tape you don't care about

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
you still need a branch since the pc isn't nameable on x86. that compiler uses a trapping mov instead, but the trap handler totally executes instructions which are not movs

also the trick does not look nearly as cool in at&t syntax

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
I like one instruction machines

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

rjmccall posted:

also the trick does not look nearly as cool in at&t syntax

if you're using at&t syntax then you've already gone horribly wrong

rjmccall