Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Oh man, I've been reading the thread title as "Geop: when dark souls 2", like in a "When Animals Attack 2" kind of way.

If you stick with the shield, I'm interested to see if you get into parrying at all. I didn't figure it out at all during my first playthrough, but I could do it like right away in a second playthrough. Maybe you just get used to the feeling of the game, and learn through osmosis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

RareAcumen posted:

Roll, Geop. There's no way you can tank all those hits and survive.

The three of us have already him this several times. You can bring a horse to water etc

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Bucklers are technically the "easymode" parrying planks, but something about the timing just hosed me up so hard in DS2. I had the best time with small shields like Geop's, which don't catch blades for any longer than normal, but the windup is faster and recovery is way faster than either bucklers or kite shields. I actually ended up reinforcing and using that specific Iron Parma he's got for its high stability and damage resistances for the category.

You just need to know in advance which specific small shields have a secret set of "loving garbage at parrying" attributes and steer clear of those. (we haven't seen any yet)

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

jpublic posted:

The lack of a 100% physical resist shield is my main complaint with the early game of DS2. So much of the game seems to be balanced around having a good shield (or being a pro dodge roller) that it's a massive game changer once you get one.

Not giving you a 100% physical resist shield is completely intentional, though. It's supposed to teach you to rely less on blocking. You don't need to be a "pro dodge roller" either. You just need to be able to dodge. It's not that hard, and it's not a 1337 MLG Pro esports thing to do (that would be just masterfully moving just the right distance in the right direction without dodging to evade attacks). You only need to start dodging more to get good at it. Much like you had to learn when to block and to let go of the block button whenever you were not in immediate danger of being hit to regain stamina. When first relying more on dodges you will try to get away from attacks with it, later you will dodge through attacks. And eventually just towards enemies at just the right angle to follow with a backstab or a hard to avoid attack.

Personally, I got good at dodging, and improved very quickly (within the first few areas) by simply playing without a shield, except on my back (in Dark Souls I, in my case)

On the other hand, I-Frames are tied to a freaking stat, holy poo poo, what were they thinking? Most starting rolls are okay, though. But If I recall correctly the cleric and the warrior have a particularly rough start.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 28, 2016

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
Didnt read the thread for a few days and see 69 unread replies.

Was that ballista closet just as terrible in the original DS2? Well I died a lot on it either way.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Yes, that Ballista Closet is just as bad and perhaps a little bit worse. I want to say the swapped a shield guy for another two hander dude in Scholar which makes the 'easy' method of being super aggressive easier.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 29, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

jpublic posted:

The lack of a 100% physical resist shield is my main complaint with the early game of DS2. So much of the game seems to be balanced around having a good shield (or being a pro dodge roller) that it's a massive game changer once you get one.

Are we allowed to recommend strategies for Geop? There's a little trick to dealing with those Hollows he's been struggling with that might help him a bit.

It's really not that bad. Most early enemies attack really slow, and you can avoid their attacks by just moving out of the way, not even dodging. Or you can get the first hit in, which is usually the best approach. The lack of 100% shields is part of the game encouraging you to be more aggressive rather than turtling like in DS1.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kuvo posted:

The three of us have already him this several times. You can bring a horse to water etc

Maybe he just needs to swap out of the Megaman shoes and into something sleek and more mobile friendly. Like a pair of yoga pants. Or Ned Flanders' ski gear.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

If the Cocommentaors were human, they would have directed Geop to the binoculars since it's so much an important element of the lp

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

i wonder what this lp's iconic goonther hat will end up being (it won't be that dumbass iron pot)

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Roll, Geop. There's no way you can tank all those hits and survive.

Not if he's using a longsword, but enough Vit and something heavy and you can do that all day long.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Stormgale posted:

Not if he's using a longsword, but enough Vit and something heavy and you can do that all day long.

And since we don't currently have another eleven points in Vit and something heavy, I'm going to reiterate my suggestion that he should, instead of playing this like Senator Armstrong, play it like like a dogfigher and eject [via rolling] if he's taking too many hits.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Geop, you should definitely try reading more messages. I've been playing the PC version for the first time and if the PS4 players are anything like the PC ones, they leave lots of helpful messages for all kinds of situations like trapped chests, eventual mimics, ambush situations, shortcuts, hidden bonfires and more. They've definitely saved me a few deaths along the way and I imagine they would help you out too! That or check the bloodstains around chests to see if anyone opened a chest and got eaten!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's going to be great when geop beats the game in five years with 99 effigies in his inventory.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

scamtank posted:

i wonder what this lp's iconic goonther hat will end up being (it won't be that dumbass iron pot)

There's one halfway thru Eleum Loyce that comes to mind, but that's probably going to be so ridiculously far into the LP that it probably won't dethrone whatever Geop's been rolling with up until then.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

It's going to be great when geop beats the game in five years with 99 effigies in his inventory.

This happens even when using them regularly

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Geop, you should try to have fun and do what you want.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Geop try two handing

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Geop should...

1. Mix himself a delicious drink of club soda and orange juice.
2. Cook a steak
3. Collect vinyl records
4. Loan me $20
5. german suplex Kuvo

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Hey Geop, you're doing fine buddy. That's all.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Dale Ouise posted:

Geop should...

1. Mix himself a delicious drink of club soda and orange juice.
2. Cook a steak
3. Collect vinyl records
4. Loan me $20
5. german suplex Kuvo

No, Geop should mix a quarter/third of a glass of half and half with some irish cream syrup, and fill the rest of the glass via spritzed seltzer water. (Or your own method of making irish cream soda, it's good to not be picky.)
Then he should cook some tacos,
Collect Mix Tapes,
Put that 20 bux into a savings account,
and tell Kuvo he should try jumping.

If you're going to attempt to backseat drive then we're going to just start arguing about it until the thread gets locked again :colbert:

Why won't people think of the thread!? :negative:

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Hey Geop, do you want me to leave you a summoning sign to help you through this area? I'm... I'm worried about you, buddy. :(

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Really, the only problem is that Goonther is way out of his comfort zone. Everything shall be well as soon as he gets his hands on some firebombs.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

Really, the only problem is that Goonther is way out of his comfort zone. Everything shall be well as soon as he gets his hands on some firebombs.

and a spear and proper shield.

That's one thing that annoys me about early ds2: consumables are pretty expensive.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
I know that "haha, you got killed by a chest after a brutal section" is kind of From's thing, but it's pretty dickish that they didn't give any hints as to what kind of death you'd get from it. "This area will kill you" is easy to suggest, "This area will kill you if you're not careful, here are clues that will help you survive" is much better game design. Like Sen's Fortress, which was filled with lots of death traps but hinted at them so it wasn't just a case of "die, fight your way back, walk one room further, die, repeat." The crossbow chest was stupid and rude.

First, it should not be a randomised trap. That prevents them from putting good environmental cues in, which takes it from "hard but fair" to "unfair trial and error."

Second, if it's a crossbow trap that fires three volleys of five bolts out in predictable arcs, then it should already have been fired before and only hastily cleaned up - the room should have gouges in the walls where the bolts have sunk in, possibly some landed in the floor there or the heads of the bolts still buried in the walls, and it should be bright enough for this to be clearly visible. I can't tell in the video whether these exist, partly due to the darkness and partly due to YouTube not particularly liking the darkness, but it's close enough to a 'no' for it to count as a 'no'. (Torches are not a counterpoint to this, since as far as I can tell they require the player to put away their shield or stop two-handing; both options are rude when the player's just been through a trap encounter that almost requires you to be two-handing a sword to get a straight-stab option and stop scraping your weapon against the stone walls.)

Third, upon opening the chest, it should not spout out the same colour smoke/vapour/whatever as an ordinary item. It should be fuckoff red or something like that billowing out, as a "THIS IS BAD" sign. It shows Good, Wholesome Item colour and in large quantities, which makes it look like a prize right up until it murders the player. That is not a clever trick, that is bad signposting. The choice of blue-white for the big puff tells the player's brain that it's in on the joke: "Don't worry, we know we made the room look super ominous, but good on you for opening the chest rather than destroying it looking for a surprise. That kind of necessary risk is what we're looking for, and we want to reward it." Instead, the game is basically saying "HAHA, I can't believe you fell for it! What a dumbass, thinking this was DnD3.5, with some measure of respect between creator and consume; this is ADnD, idiot!"

It's bad design.

EDIT:v That's why I said it's easy to suggest "This area will kill you." The bloodstains, and a lonely chest in the middle of a large room in a From game, are enough to tell the player that. It's also not helpful in any way for teaching purposes. In theory, a player should be able to get through Dark Souls with a minimum of deaths as long as they have good reflexes and an appropriate amount of caution. The boulder is not the best comparison, but a pretty good trick - it will kill you if you're running ahead like a lunatic, or if you decide to get too close to the edge at the bottom because gravity is a fickle mistress, but otherwise you're safe. This chest trap is just trial and error.

WFGuy fucked around with this message at 12:42 on May 29, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The bloodstains would be a pretty good clue though.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The one saving grace of the crossbow trap is that you shouldn't die from a single bolt so you can potentially roll behind/away from the chest and dodge/shield the rest of the bolts and survive.

In practice the bolts tend to stunlock you so you have to see the fact that there's smoke, something in that smoke and dodge behind the chest. It has the usual Dark Souls quickness of 'fast enough to kill you before you realize what hit you but slow enough so that you can easily dodge it if you know it's coming.'

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

WFGuy posted:

It's bad design.
I'm not saying you don't have a point. But let's not turn that into a "DaS2 sucks" thing, as DaS1 did that as well: The slime that drops on your head in the Depths, the first mimic you encounter in Sen's Fortress and the collapsing floor in the Undead Asylum Revisited.
It's From going "We got you! Okay, from now on be aware that this is a thing that can happen, deal?".

Maelaevi
Sep 24, 2013
You can just roll away and not be hurt by the traps. I didn't see them as being a big problem. Just another thing they added to keep you on your toes. I don't remember that first trap chest even killing me.

I'd say painting a big red arrow next to the chest with the text "THIS IS A TRAP" would be bad design.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Raygereio posted:

I'm not saying you don't have a point. But let's not turn that into a "DaS2 sucks" thing, as DaS1 did that as well: The slime that drops on your head in the Depths, the first mimic you encounter in Sen's Fortress and the collapsing floor in the Undead Asylum Revisited.
It's From going "We got you! Okay, from now on be aware that this is a thing that can happen, deal?".

The slime is out of nowhere but their grabs generally do far less damage than other grabs up to that point, and the chest is sitting in the middle of the room completely askew, and usually surrounded by bloodstains. There was a lot of thought put into their design

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The collapsing floor does take you by surprise but like, it doesn't exactly look in good condition, you should have known something was down there, and you knew something huge jumped on it earlier. It's not necessarily obvious but it makes logical sense afterwards.

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007

WFGuy posted:

Third, upon opening the chest, it should not spout out the same colour smoke/vapour/whatever as an ordinary item.

It doesn't do that, though. There is clearly something different and bad when opening a trapped chest.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
If your response to anything unexpected in Dark Souls isn't to immediately roll away or put up your shield you're going to get killed by a lot of fairer traps too.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Anonononomous posted:

It doesn't do that, though. There is clearly something different and bad when opening a trapped chest.

that white smoke is definitely reminiscent of the item glow

MidnightSun
Feb 15, 2011

I am Truthless
It does seem to be the theme of the game. I'm watching this LP blind to the game as well, so it's tons of fun to learn how the game screws you over the first time you see something. Somehow, though, between the baby face (which makes the starting helm seem sillier than it probably is), and how Goonther prances around in his clunky boots rather than the trudging in DS1, I'm not taking it nearly as seriously so far. :downs:

jpublic
Aug 14, 2015

Fister Roboto posted:

It's really not that bad. Most early enemies attack really slow, and you can avoid their attacks by just moving out of the way, not even dodging. Or you can get the first hit in, which is usually the best approach. The lack of 100% shields is part of the game encouraging you to be more aggressive rather than turtling like in DS1.

I'd have less problem with that if they maintained that philosophy throughout the game, but they didn't.

Oh well, it's a minor gripe anyway. I tend to run the game with a specific 90% shield now.

Nonetheless, Geop should be comparing every shield he gets in early game, because even a 5% improvement is significant.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Speaking of item glows I hate how they changed soul-getting from a smooth flow to a white blob that wangs around all over the place like it's the homing attack from Sonic Adventure 1. Makes me think every single enemy has an item drop for a moment.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

WFGuy posted:

EDIT:v That's why I said it's easy to suggest "This area will kill you." The bloodstains, and a lonely chest in the middle of a large room in a From game, are enough to tell the player that. It's also not helpful in any way for teaching purposes. In theory, a player should be able to get through Dark Souls with a minimum of deaths as long as they have good reflexes and an appropriate amount of caution. The boulder is not the best comparison, but a pretty good trick - it will kill you if you're running ahead like a lunatic, or if you decide to get too close to the edge at the bottom because gravity is a fickle mistress, but otherwise you're safe. This chest trap is just trial and error.

The funny thing about that boulder is that it will miss you if you run straight to the shiny. I'm not sure how you would have to play to get hit by it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Vicas posted:

The slime is out of nowhere but their grabs generally do far less damage than other grabs up to that point, and the chest is sitting in the middle of the room completely askew, and usually surrounded by bloodstains. There was a lot of thought put into their design

This chest is in a very similar vein to that first mimic from DS1. Geop got very suspicious of it and spent a good while trying to identify whether it was a mimic.

He just made the mistake of thinking that just because it wasn't a mimic, that it wasn't a trap.

• Locked thread