Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Yeah, let's be fair, there are two Superman books in 2016 rehashing the death of Superman and Doomsdsay and everything from 23 years ago. Only one of them is written by someone who worked on the original story. The other one is written by a guy editing for DC at the time.

REBIRTH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Decius posted:

DC's sales were basically in freefall. That's why. Of course if it fixes the underlying issue of bad comics with bad storylines is up in the air.

it doesn't

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Edge & Christian posted:

Yeah, let's be fair, there are two Superman books in 2016 rehashing the death of Superman and Doomsdsay and everything from 23 years ago. Only one of them is written by someone who worked on the original story. The other one is written by a guy editing for DC at the time.

REBIRTH

dc bring back superboy's jacket

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Literally The Worst posted:

dc bring back superboy's jacket

leather jacket, round shades and shaved sides is the only real superboy

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I love the gloves over the jacket

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I don't like armor on superheroes much but at least Tim has finally gotten rid of those God-awful wings. Although it kinda looks like he's put his utility belt on upside-down, Batzarro style.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I think is too much green. He just looks like Robin, needs to be more distinctly Red Robin.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like the Bumblebee one.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Bizarro and Batman Beyond I'm not even sure why they bothered releasing. It's like... yeah, that's the Beyond suit?

On another subject, as the only person reading JL 3001 in the forum, can I ask which book Giffen's writing in the Rebirth lineup, because it's likely the only chance of paying off the cliffhanger he and JMdM pulled in that book's final issue.

The 3001 Flash and Batgirl are sent back to 2016 by the main villain, who is revealed to be the Flash's mother.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 28, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Bizarro and Batman Beyond I'm not even sure why they bothered releasing. It's like... yeah, that's the Beyond suit?

They gave it a separate cowl, which gives the face some sweet fuckin' jowls.

Gaz-L posted:

can I ask which book Giffen's writing in the Rebirth lineup

Giffen's doing Blue Beetle with JL3001 artist Scott Kollins and the entire original JL3000 team is doing Scooby Apocalypse.

I'm reading JL3K1. I haven't got to the latest issue, but I'm pretty into their Flash returning.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 28, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Artemis looks dumpy (although it's marginally better than her Liefeldian proportions, I guess, but her ugly costume with boring muted colors looks bad as well). Batman Beyond's eyes look unbelievably stupid and I don't like buff Terry, he's a much cooler hero when he's sleek and streamlined in comparison to Bruce's hulking build. Bizarro's previous design looked better. New Super-Man's S looks stupid and I dunno about the whole "Chinese flag on the shoulder" bit, it's a bit on-the-nose and just as unnecessary as if they tried that with an American flag on Supes' costume. Red Robin's costume needs more red, as aforementioned.

Bumblebee's costume is fine, but outside of that yeah these announced costumes don't look good at all.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Artemis and Bizarro look so sad that they're stuck in a book with Jason Todd.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.
God, that BB costume is freaking trash. Who decided it was a good idea to give him bat-jowls?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I really like Artemis costume, Bizarro loojs weird and honestly the t shirt he has in the first RHATO cover looks way better.

Tim costume is a stepback and misses the drat point of him being Red Robin. His N52 costume was miles better.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I much prefer Tim Drake in his classic costume there. Before New 52 Tim was probably my favorite DC character so I like seeing him looking like he did then. That drawing of New Super-Man is just unfortunate in every way.

X-O fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 29, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I just saw that note that New Super-Man should have the body type of a "17-year-old kid". Has...has anyone at DC ever seen a teen?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

"Where I come from, the 'S' means "'stop'."

Also, Artemis has a dick between her breasts.

Codependent Poster fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 29, 2016

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

The best Robin-related Tim Drake costume:

The second best:

A distant third, I guess:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

Giffen's doing Blue Beetle with JL3001 artist Scott Kollins and the entire original JL3000 team is doing Scooby Apocalypse.

I'm reading JL3K1. I haven't got to the latest issue, but I'm pretty into their Flash returning.

I loved the sequence where she's lamenting how they can't possibly beat the robot army because they don't know how they work, and would need to be able to examine every inch of them while not being in range for more than a moment in order to figure it out... and suddenly :aaa:

"...good thing I'm the Flash... the fastest woman alive!"

Hell, the final line up was actually fairly neat in how it re-subverted the original gimmick. The revived JL3K league all had crappier versions of their powers, like a knockoff of the original, but by the end you have the real Supergirl, a Batgirl who was every bit as smart and resourceful as Bruce Wayne (and as smug and bratty as Damian Wayne) and a Flash who seemed to be getting more powerful with every issue, deliberately.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Toxxupation posted:

I just saw that note that New Super-Man should have the body type of a "17-year-old kid". Has...has anyone at DC ever seen a teen?

This is my favorite part.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Endless Mike posted:

This is my favorite part.

The insets do a better job of communicating youth in looks.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Putting Tim back in that suit is as close as we will ever get to an apology for the "Red Robin" name and long string of terrible costumes. It will make it much easier for me to photoshop a single R logo on him in every panel and pretend he is just Robin again.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I mean, it's really obvious that DC's trying to make Super-Man into Spider-Man. Only, you know, literally over a decade after Invincible made that idea novel. But jeez, everything about that character design reads like DC critically misunderstanding why Spider-Man works as a hero, and just sharing the most surface level similarities (Red suit! Teen who gets his powers one day out of the blue and has to grapple with getting control of them! Outsider! Hyphenated superhero name!) without actually getting why Peter Parker works.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I feel like anyone wanting to update the Batman Beyond costume needs to either have the best idea in the world, or get reprimanded for even suggesting a change. It's no joke the best new superhero look in like four decades.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

I mean, it's really obvious that DC's trying to make Super-Man into Spider-Man. Only, you know, literally over a decade after Invincible made that idea novel. But jeez, everything about that character design reads like DC critically misunderstanding why Spider-Man works as a hero, and just sharing the most surface level similarities (Red suit! Teen who gets his powers one day out of the blue and has to grapple with getting control of them! Outsider! Hyphenated superhero name!) without actually getting why Peter Parker works.

Also they seem determined to wreck their two actual good attempts at a Spider-Man in the last 20 years: Blue Beetle (Jaime) and Batman Beyond (Terry's whole thing is "WHAT IF SPIDER-MAN.... WAS BATMAN!?")

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Ah, yes, noted military experiment working for a global superpower Spider-Man. Maybe you can only notice surface level similarities between Spider-Man and Super-Man because they're not going for the same thing at all.

Especially considering the fact DC is already publishing a book about a teen in New York trying to juggle his personal life as a student and the great responsibility that comes with some sort of great power.

It's called Doctor Fate, it's by Paul Levitz and Sonny Liew, and it's actually pretty good.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Toxxupation posted:

Have you ever seen a high school football player?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

JoshTheStampede posted:

Have you ever seen a high school football player?
Yeah, the majority of them are big but kind of fat or heavy. They're not shredded beefcakes unless they go to high school in Texas and have a shitload of community funding for their program.

I mean, they're football players, not swimmers :v:

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Yuck. I don't like that Bizarro at all. Best Bizarro is Last Son/Escape from Bizarro World Bizarro.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SeannieDarko posted:

Yuck. I don't like that Bizarro at all. Best Bizarro is Last Son/Escape from Bizarro World Bizarro.

The gently caress is going on with his hair?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Please tell me I'm on crazy pills and that DC Rebirth seriously isn't putting loving Watchmen into the mainline DC continuity.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

There's no need for spoiler tags. The comic is out.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

shredded beefcakes

The British term for hamburgers.

Crabtree posted:

Please tell me I'm on crazy pills and that DC Rebirth seriously isn't putting loving Watchmen into the mainline DC continuity.

Don't worry, they're just putting Geoff John's half-accurate recollections of Watchmen in.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

BrianWilly posted:

This is written by Tomasi.

yea but its basically the same story in both books.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Alaois posted:

leather jacket, round shades and shaved sides is the only real superboy

Jacket Superboy was in the original Rebirth teaser:

Everyone deduced the guy in the middle was Wally and the others are obviously Supergirl, Jay Garrick, Green Lantern (Jessica Cruz), 90s Superboy, and uh....Green Arrow?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That isn't either of Supergirl, Superwoman or Lana Lang's costumes, so those can't be final designs. I imagine they just found a Superboy silhouette and made it small enough to represent an 8 year old (or however old Jon Kent is meant to be)

e: Though with Eradicator and Doomsday in a green jumpsuit coming up, I guess you can't rule him out.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:26 on May 29, 2016

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Gaz-L posted:

(Terry's whole thing is "WHAT IF SPIDER-MAN.... WAS BATMAN!?")

Apparently Batman would just murder/cause horrific fates for 90% of his villains if he was Spider-Man

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Teenage Fansub posted:

That isn't either of Supergirl, Superwoman or Lana Lang's costumes, so those can't be final designs. I imagine they just found a Superboy silhouette and made it small enough to represent an 8 year old (or however old Jon Kent is meant to be)

e: Though with Eradicator and Doomsday in a green jumpsuit coming up, I guess you can't rule him out.

Well we haven't seen Jay either and the Wally costume was just revealed a few days ago. I would bet on either a new Superboy showing up or Jonathan switches to the jacket at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

X-O posted:

There's no need for spoiler tags. The comic is out.

Sorry, I didn't know the ground rules as far as talking about things that are technically still new in BSS.

Squizzle posted:

Don't worry, they're just putting Geoff John's half-accurate recollections of Watchmen in.

It just feels like one of the worst moves they could pull in the infinite likely bad ideas they have to make.