Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Azhais posted:

nuke the children, break the fog condensers, send the brotherhood/institute after dima, rule the ruins of far harbor with an iron fist

How do you do that middle part, send the brotherhood/institute after dima?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Arsten posted:

You get those optional "tell the x about Acadia" missions in your log. Things progress from there.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Azhais posted:

You get those optional "tell the x about Acadia" missions in your log. Things progress from there.

Huh. Do I have to be a member of one or another to get those? Because this play through I haven't bothered with either faction, yet.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Arsten posted:

For the Brotherhood at least just tell Lancer Captain Kells about Acadia when you are able and he'll dispatch the Vertibirds to Far Harbor.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
vertibirds and fog? i shudder to think of that frame rate on console

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Volkerball posted:

You shouldn't have to worry about frame rates since you're guaranteed poo poo rates to begin with.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Volkerball posted:

They don't really fly around. They retrofit one for long range operations and it's just sitting at the brotherhood staging area. It's not like the main game where there are a million of them flying around shooting things.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
^^^Ah

widespread posted:

You shouldn't have to worry about frame rates since you're guaranteed poo poo rates to begin with.

it's honestly not bad. the only time i ever notice it is when a random vertibird flies by, and in fog. combining them both sounds like a good way to crash the game.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It owns that they manage to have bits that tank the frame rate on a console when they know exactly what technology they're working with and exactly what it can handle.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Azhais posted:

These went a bit weird on my end.

If you inform the Railroad, one of their agents will head up to Far Harbor and then... stand around admiring the scenery inside Acadia for the rest of the game. No new dialogue trees, just a handful of flavour lines, no quests radiant or otherwise. Maybe I missed something or maybe this needs to be done before resolving the DLC storyline.

On the Brotherhood side, I completed Far Harbor before visiting the Prydwen for the first time, which interrupts the vanilla story progression and forces you to report Acadia before you can even introduce yourself to Kells, though it did seem to trigger a quest which is more than I can say for the Railroad version. Of course, there's no option when talking to Kells to cover for Acadia if you sided with DiMA or reached a peaceful ending.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Azhais posted:

I haven't had bodies vanish in front of my eyes, but corpses from settlement attacks that aren't directly in the settlement seem to poof nearly instantly in my game too.

edit: which is odd in and of itself since, unlike your game apparently, the raider corpses in concord sat there for like 2 months

I've had the vanishing bodies thing happen randomly since before survival mode was even a thing. I started to notice it because Gristle would randomly be gone when I went to grab his key. Maybe the ragdolls are just falling through the ground?

Also I must be on some kind of lucky streak because I was playing survival and managed to threaten Wolfgang, coerce him for caps, talk down Trudy, and make it all the way to the Cambridge police station without getting murdered by ghouls, all with no reloads.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Now I want a mod of creepy body snatchers pulling corpses into the sewers when you aren't looking directly at them.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

graynull posted:

Now I want a mod of creepy body snatchers pulling corpses into the sewers when you aren't looking directly at them.

The Matte Daemons gang

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Are there any meaningful (i.e. not am extra 100 caps) speech checks in the base game?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

vandalism posted:

Are there any meaningful (i.e. not am extra 100 caps) speech checks in the base game?

Tons, it's pretty much traditional that a high charisma/speech is a good way to utterly break the game and Fallout 4 isn't an exception to this rule, though not as bad as New Vegas was

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

vandalism posted:

I think one to get Bobby off Jet... And take away a source of caps in the process.

Kids, remember to enable when you need the dough.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

graynull posted:

I've been playing Survival as well, and I've noticed that bodies seem to be vanishing faster than I remember as well. Evaporating right while you're staring at them is a bit much, but I do like the idea of bodies and loot vanishing while you're away. There are plenty of other raiders and scavengers roaming around the wasteland, it's easy to imagine some of them wandering across the aftermath of one of your battles and scooping up sweet free loot.

I also just got my first Quartermastery quest from Scribe Haylen. I'm level 20, haven't even been to Diamond City yet, and she wants me to go get a Haptic Drive from Rayburn Point... Which is on the far west coast of Far Harbor. I really hope she doesn't need that any time soon, she's going to be waiting a long drat while for it.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Playing survival. Just did Fort Hagan with Ada. The next part of the quest requires me to talk to Ada, but she seems to have disappeared. The quest marker to her is pointing off of the side of map. Sleeping doesnt fix it, nor does entering and exiting an internal area. Anything I can do?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

On a regular campaign, about half of Legendary enemies do not have special loot on them.
This is across all enemy types and started happening somewhat recently.

I'm at level 52 if that makes a difference.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hm, I can make robots tend store but I don't seem to be able to actually buy anything from them.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Azhais posted:

Well, not so much progress for the Railroad. They're just like "Oh we know there's a synth colony up there but it's too dangerous to send anyone there". The most you can do is a speech check where you can convince them to assist with resources which as far as I know has no effect beyond the XP for succeeding the speech check.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

To be fair, the Railroad being too drat helpless to do a single thing without my help is definitely within the theme of the faction. I'd honestly be alarmed if they were to make it to Acadia and actually assist in a meaningful way

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Epic High Five posted:

To be fair, the Railroad being too drat helpless to do a single thing without my help is definitely within the theme of the faction. I'd honestly be alarmed if they were to make it to Acadia and actually assist in a meaningful way

"You mean the Railroad? That's just a myth."

What's mythical about the Railroad is the idea they could get anything done without me.

edit: Speaking of the railroad, I started a new character and frankly I'd rather not run through a lot of the early poo poo with Deacon again just go get Ballistic Weave and the like. If I want to use the CompleteQuest command, do I use the formID or the editor ID as the Quest ID?

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 05:27 on May 29, 2016

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Epic High Five posted:

Tons, it's pretty much traditional that a high charisma/speech is a good way to utterly break the game and Fallout 4 isn't an exception to this rule, though not as bad as New Vegas was

Which speech checks break the game?

I've done a few playthroughs with 10 charisma, which means I never fail a speech check, and I can't think of any really useful speech checks. I guess there's one at the end of Diamond City Blues where you need to pass the check to figure out how to get into the final area. 99% of speech checks just allow you to get a little more experience and a few hundred extra caps.

From my experience, you'd be just fine never passing a single speech check, you're missing almost nothing.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
You can resolve the Covenant quest peacefully and keep all the residents as settlers with a red speech check.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I downloaded a katana mod and it's "upgrades" are just +% damage and then I took a lot of drugs and ended up with a katana doing 1200 damage per hit probably more? Anyway it one shots people wearing power armor and cuts off heads real good so I think I am in love.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

1,000 upgrades, one per fold of the metal

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

vandalism posted:

Mostly it's about role play, saving effort, increasing rewards or reducing danger (talk people out of fighting you for example)

Charisma is like lockpicking and hacking in that a successful check can save you having to take trips around things. A few example

Drumlin dinner: A chem and a junk vendor is having an argument. If you pass a speech check you now have both vendors at the same destination which is great for selling stuff and restocking. If you fail the speech check you have to fight one of them and their companion in close range combat (dangerous early on in Survival) and the result is you lose one of the vendors.

Another example is Kellogs house:
level 3 lockpicking check. If you fail you have to go to the mayor to get the key
difficult charisma check. If you fail you have to sneak into his office and steal the key from his safe

Paladin Brandis: 3 difficult speech checks to get him to rejoin the brotherhood. Later when you let him on the Prydwen he gives you a rare laser rifle.

Mr.Grit
Jul 16, 2006

Zephyrine posted:

Another example is Kellogs house:
level 3 lockpicking check. If you fail you have to go to the mayor to get the key
difficult charisma check. If you fail you have to sneak into his office and steal the key from his safe

You can also bribe his secretary for the key.

Veeta
Dec 23, 2011

... καὶ ὡς ὑπὸ βελῶν τοῖς σοῖς κατατρωθήσονται ῥήμασιν.
If you pass a speech check with Codsworth immediately after coming out of the vault, he drops his chipper attitude and honestly explains how bad things have been for him. And in the quest to rescue Nick, you can use speech checks to turn a couple of antagonists against each other, or to just resolve the situation peacefully. There are also a couple of hostage-taking situations that I don't want to spoil (one that happens in Diamond City, another on a settlement in the map's south-west) where you can use speech checks to get hostages released, or to get the hostage-taker to back down. Like Zephyrine said, it's mostly used for little things here and there, but can be fun from a role playing perspective.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Mr.Grit posted:

You can also bribe his secretary for the key.

Or just charm her.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Veeta posted:

If you pass a speech check with Codsworth immediately after coming out of the vault, he drops his chipper attitude and honestly explains how bad things have been for him. And in the quest to rescue Nick, you can use speech checks to turn a couple of antagonists against each other, or to just resolve the situation peacefully. There are also a couple of hostage-taking situations that I don't want to spoil (one that happens in Diamond City, another on a settlement in the map's south-west) where you can use speech checks to get hostages released, or to get the hostage-taker to back down. Like Zephyrine said, it's mostly used for little things here and there, but can be fun from a role playing perspective.

You know, I've never failed Codsworth's speech check.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

I still think Synths are too human in the physical sense. I'd like them more if they were more like terminators and you would randomly find synths when fighting raiders, BOS members or just civilians as pieces of flesh was shot away. Revealing metal pieces.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Nasgate posted:

You know, I've never failed Codsworth's speech check.

I'm pretty sure that one is coded be an auto-pass every time, since it's basically intended as a tutorial on speech checks. You will always pass it on the first try, even with a 1 CHR character.

Volkerball posted:

You can resolve the Covenant quest peacefully and keep all the residents as settlers with a red speech check.
Yeah but gently caress those guys.

Zephyrine posted:

I still think Synths are too human in the physical sense. I'd like them more if they were more like terminators and you would randomly find synths when fighting raiders, BOS members or just civilians as pieces of flesh was shot away. Revealing metal pieces.

You don't get any of that BSG style paranoia they were going for if they're that easy to detect though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You could have another generation of synth which looks human but is built like a robot and is designed for infiltrated combat. Which would make sense too because presumably the institute would want to control raider gangs.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

You could have another generation of synth which looks human but is built like a robot and is designed for infiltrated combat. Which would make sense too because presumably the institute would want to control raider gangs.

I think that's what Coursers are.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Speedball posted:

I think that's what Coursers are.

Haven't run into any of those yet, can't be arsed with the plot.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Entropic posted:

I'm pretty sure that one is coded be an auto-pass every time, since it's basically intended as a tutorial on speech checks. You will always pass it on the first try, even with a 1 CHR character.

Yeah but gently caress those guys.

You don't get any of that BSG style paranoia they were going for if they're that easy to detect though.

They would only be detectable if you start digging around in them which I'm fairly certain anyone would reject. Human or synth.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Volkerball posted:

I believe you can simply accept Jacob's bribe to accomplish the same thing.

Veeta posted:

And in the quest to rescue Nick, you can use speech checks to turn a couple of antagonists against each other, or to just resolve the situation peacefully.

Or you can just get the secret phrase from Mama Murphy to resolve it peacefully without a speech check.

Orange Sunshine fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Zephyrine posted:

This kinda happens in a couple locations. One of the metro stations and the (spoiled because it's kind of a built-up surprise) fish packing plant are crawling with Synth combat units, a lot of them with bits of synthetic flesh blown off and holes through various spots in their chassis. Not exactly what you're asking for, I know.

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 29, 2016

• Locked thread