Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Dr. Faustus posted:

Hasn't it been a couple/few years since HBO pre-empted the Memorial Day weekend ep of GoT? Will we be getting Ep 6 tomorrow night at 9?

It will be on Sunday.
AMC bumped Preacher out but HBO hanging in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

vyelkin posted:

That theory is so genius that I actually hope it's true now.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
http://twitter.com/luke_j_roberts/status/729558177814089728/photo/1

Holy poo poo everybody look.

They made a description accurate Dawn and its not a loving anime sword. Its just shiny. gently caress.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Phi230 posted:

They made a description accurate Dawn and its not a loving anime sword. Its just shiny. gently caress.

The one on the left, the one they used in the show?

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I just realized why they're dragging out the ToJ stuff; it's to convince the more involved readers/viewers that their theory about Lyanna and Rhaegar is correct and a sure thing, to make the reality that much more surprising and disturbing. Ned is Jon's father, and Lyanna is his mother, and Rhaegar was just a sympathetic friend who understood their feelings. Ned was just too weak to stand up to Robert's temperament, and had to play the part in the war in the vain hope that he and Lyanna could be reunited. Unfortunately, Lyanna decided she would rather die than be married to Robert, and killed herself when Ned tried to bring her back, leaving baby Jon behind.

I posted something very similar to this years ago, but with Benjen taking the place of Ned, thus his exile to the Wall. The timeline doesn't quite work either way best I can figure. Ned was in the Vale already and a Benjen was too young.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Phi230 posted:

Why do you care so much about some anime nerd sword. Are you some kind of nerd.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Phi230 posted:

Oh my god its almost as if one of the themes of the book is that power lies where people believe it to be

The show has no subtext or subtlety, or any merit really betond being popular

I clicked the question mark under your name and it is two pages of lovely posts.

Boner Pill Connoisseur
Apr 23, 2002

I took the blue pill.

Xanderkish posted:

Why do you care so much about some anime nerd sword. Are you some kind of nerd.

Arthur Dayne wielding a meteorite sword is some dumb dumb ffvii poo poo if I ever heard it. Glad it was dropped like Daario's forked beard.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

pfizerman posted:

Arthur Dayne wielding a meteorite sword is some dumb dumb ffvii poo poo if I ever heard it. Glad it was dropped like Daario's forked beard.

I don't know meteorite swords are an actual thing irl

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Really I just can't invest myself in this TV show if it doesn't include the authentic Greatswordkatana of Ser Darkfire Liondragon, whise steel was forged from the taint of a volcanic hydra from the eruption of Atlanteros, with a hilt crafted by the last Cthonic Samurai using a mallet made with a piece of the True Cross.

Anything else would ruin my immersion.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Dawn was important enough that, even though they were enemies, Ned Stark personally returned it to Arthur Dayne's family in Starfall. I think that's something interesting.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Yeah, didn't Sokka have one? Space Sword!

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Quit sullying my adult good show with talk of your kiddie good show.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Apoplexy posted:

Dawn was important enough that, even though they were enemies, Ned Stark personally returned it to Arthur Dayne's family in Starfall. I think that's something interesting.

Oh don't get me wrong, I think Dawn's interesting. I'm a sucker for Cool and Special Swords as much as the next guy, and how it continues to reveal the character of Ned. I just don't think its absence detracts from the TV show, which by the nature of its medium must necessarily be condensed and efficient with its time. And I think it's fun to tease people who are getting real knotted up by its absence.

ASOIAF, in my opinion, emphasizes worldbuilding as much as it does the plot. The story of the characters matter, but its also a story about the world as a whole, and breathing life into every crevice of iy, emphasizing how it persists even beyond the lives of the central narrative. And Dawn fits very well in that. Game of Thrones, in contrast, focuses also on worldbuilding, but more in service to the plot. Not a criticism, by the way, just an acknowledgement of the different medium of the show versus the books. And I figure the writers have to be careful with what they make too big a deal out of, because they don't want to add on too much that might make the audience attach more importance onto what are ultimately minor details and hence get distracted from the main narrative. And I think Dawn, while interesting, might be that kind of distraction that it's just easier to cut. And again, most watchers, book or show, probably don't think much of it, if they remember it at all. I know I didn't really think much of it when he didn't pull out Dawn.

That's my take on it, anyway.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Far moreso than that loving anime/meteor sword details, I'm impressed Luke Roberts did his own moves, instructed though he was in them. It would've been real easy to cheat that, what with his helmet obscuring his head and bit of his face during the action and all.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Anyway, arguing about Dawn is a moot point because the show had Dawn.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Xanderkish posted:

Oh don't get me wrong, I think Dawn's interesting. I'm a sucker for Cool and Special Swords as much as the next guy, and how it continues to reveal the character of Ned. I just don't think its absence detracts from the TV show, which by the nature of its medium must necessarily be condensed and efficient with its time.

It wasnt even absent, the director confirmed that the sword in the show is Dawn.

E: And its stuck in the ground like that so it can be the centerpiece of the scene:

TheRat fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 28, 2016

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Terry Pratchett had one made when he was knighted.

Looks like it's modelled on the early migration era.

Disclaimer: Meteoric iron is just iron. Won't cut through stone, steel helmets or other swords. Won't glow in the dark, unless you're on fire.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

tooterfish posted:

Terry Pratchett had one made when he was knighted.

It's a shame Game of Thrones is the one that's getting popular instead of Discworld so we could all argue about how unrealistic it is when Vimes kicks a man in the balls instead.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends

Xanderkish posted:

Oh don't get me wrong, I think Dawn's interesting. I'm a sucker for Cool and Special Swords as much as the next guy, and how it continues to reveal the character of Ned. I just don't think its absence detracts from the TV show, which by the nature of its medium must necessarily be condensed and efficient with its time. And I think it's fun to tease people who are getting real knotted up by its absence.

ASOIAF, in my opinion, emphasizes worldbuilding as much as it does the plot. The story of the characters matter, but its also a story about the world as a whole, and breathing life into every crevice of iy, emphasizing how it persists even beyond the lives of the central narrative. And Dawn fits very well in that. Game of Thrones, in contrast, focuses also on worldbuilding, but more in service to the plot. Not a criticism, by the way, just an acknowledgement of the different medium of the show versus the books. And I figure the writers have to be careful with what they make too big a deal out of, because they don't want to add on too much that might make the audience attach more importance onto what are ultimately minor details and hence get distracted from the main narrative. And I think Dawn, while interesting, might be that kind of distraction that it's just easier to cut. And again, most watchers, book or show, probably don't think much of it, if they remember it at all. I know I didn't really think much of it when he didn't pull out Dawn.

That's my take on it, anyway.

This is one of our twenty Good Posts in this thread, but if I may play Devil's Advocate -

The question is begged, if you have to cut several pieces from the story to make it more reasonable for a TV timeslot, is this really the story that NEEDED to be adapted? Certainly if we were going to end up with D&D taking at most suggestions from the original work at this point and creating something completely original with the story and characters, why call it Game of Thrones at all? The answer, of course, is either that they originally set out to make a more faithful adaptation (suggested by the tonal shift between the first season and the current one) but had to change things for a variety of reasons, or that they saw the huge opportunity with how successful ASoIaF was, and some execs tried to cash in. Personally I choose to believe the former out of good faith, but that just makes criticisms like the one castigated in the above post more valid. If you're on a train headed for Boston and halfway there the conductor announces that he changed his mind and you're going to Baltimore instead, and you loudly complain that you wanted to go to Boston, (this thread is the guy sitting next to you mocking you with, "WELL WHY DON'T YOU JUST JUMP OFF THE MOVING TRAIN THEN") your disdain is understandable.

The book doesn't "belong" to the fans, but they're called fans for a reason. I bet you nobody ready the Tower of Joy passage and thought, "Man, meteor sword, that sounds stupid as gently caress. This book is way too fantasy sometimes."

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Watching this lovely Tower of Joy fan film really makes you appreciate how much work goes into choreographing and sound-mixing the show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adYm-4-00UE

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Hahahah

Where did you find that visual tour de force?

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

Blacktoll posted:

Hahahah

Where did you find that visual tour de force?

The clanking during the talk between Dayne and Eddard was hilarious.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Vegetable posted:

Watching this lovely Tower of Joy fan film really makes you appreciate how much work goes into choreographing and sound-mixing the show

I'm not at a place where I can watch this with sound but at least visually it looked pretty alright!

Until they started fighting.

How does that have 3000 thumbs up.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Vegetable posted:

Would've looked better if Dayne was dual wielding.

PS. Bran warged into me and posted that terrible joke, don't shoot the messenger.

Also:

quote:

Jeff Odachowski as Lord Eddard Stark
Hmm.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4655154/resume?ref_=nm_ov_res

quote:

Accents: Australian, Scottish, British, New York (Brooklyn), New York (Bronx)
If you loving say so fella! :mmmhmm:

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Advice posted:

The question is begged, if you have to cut several pieces from the story to make it more reasonable for a TV timeslot, is this really the story that NEEDED to be adapted? Certainly if we were going to end up with D&D taking at most suggestions from the original work at this point and creating something completely original with the story and characters, why call it Game of Thrones at all? The answer, of course, is either that they originally set out to make a more faithful adaptation (suggested by the tonal shift between the first season and the current one) but had to change things for a variety of reasons, or that they saw the huge opportunity with how successful ASoIaF was, and some execs tried to cash in. Personally I choose to believe the former out of good faith, but that just makes criticisms like the one castigated in the above post more valid. If you're on a train headed for Boston and halfway there the conductor announces that he changed his mind and you're going to Baltimore instead, and you loudly complain that you wanted to go to Boston, (this thread is the guy sitting next to you mocking you with, "WELL WHY DON'T YOU JUST JUMP OFF THE MOVING TRAIN THEN") your disdain is understandable.

The book doesn't "belong" to the fans, but they're called fans for a reason. I bet you nobody ready the Tower of Joy passage and thought, "Man, meteor sword, that sounds stupid as gently caress. This book is way too fantasy sometimes."

Well, if I could play Devil's Devil's advocate (in other words, me), I would argue that while people who are disappointed in the adaptation being less than faithful are totally allowed that disappointment, we are at this point dealing with an adaptation to a book that hasn't been released yet, and never may. That makes any adaptation a lot more complicated.

And again, with any adaptation, you're going to get changes. I guess for me the question of whether the story remains game of thrones in more than just name has to do with whether it remains true to the spirit of the novels. That's a tough thing to define and the answer probably varies from person to person, but for me it does. The character, world, themes, and overall narrative are still sufficiently Game of Thrones for me that I'm not bothered with changes, because for the most part I see them in keeping with that spirit. Even Dorne, for all its bad pussy, I'm willing to accept as keeping with the spirit of the books (albeit in a very bad way).

Even the tonal shift I'm fine with. I don't think it's as great as people argue, but what is there I'm more than happy to attribute (mostly) to a cast and crew becoming more comfortable with the show and knowing the ins and outs of it enough that they're more willing to stray from the center, because the core is so solid.

Still, some people might not think this is still Game of Thrones to them, and that's fine, as long as people aren't dicks about it. I was unhappy with Hannibal in the second half of its run, so I get the feeling when a show ceases to be what it was that drew you into it.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

pfizerman posted:

You do know meteor iron is a thing right? Before humans worked out smelting that's how you got iron.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Scapegoat posted:

You do know meteor iron is a thing right? Before humans worked out smelting that's how you got iron.

Does it glow?

Boner Pill Connoisseur
Apr 23, 2002

I took the blue pill.

Scapegoat posted:

Well, that and bog iron, but that's beside the point. Y'all are fixating on the possible absence of some dumb translucent magic sword that is at best a silly fantasy trope.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Are we trying to argue about the feasibility of GoT's science again? Because it isn't feasible, but certain things are magic, rendering the point moot. Moving on...

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npdARG8ffms

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Advice posted:

This is one of our twenty Good Posts in this thread, but if I may play Devil's Advocate -

The counter question is, do you actually think every single detail in the books is important to the larger story?

Any adaptation has to make choices about what will work, and what won't, what is important, and what isn't. Dayne's sword isn't important. Honestly, Dayne didn't seem particularly important.

And now they've gone past the books, which means they're adapting GRRM's sketches and fever dreams, so of course it's going to feel different than the adaptation of the first book that people had been reading and thinking about for decades. Your analogy doesn't quite map though, because we always knew this time was gonna come. You got on board anyway.

(Also Boston doesn't exist)

Edit: also, isn't the glowy anime sword description a weird memory he has where people are shadows? Why is that assumed to be real and not another embellishment?

Bobo the Red fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 29, 2016

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
I look forward to the A Song of Fire and Ice anime epic in 2050 that includes Dawn, the rude eunuch gladiator, and the Three Stooges Knights in all their glory.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
It can easily be an embellishment. But we could have easily had an embellished, dreamlike scene for Ned's memory anyway. The point is it wasnt faithful, and when you start to pick and choose what is or isn't important for a particular scene, you again beg the question of whether the medium you're using is appropriate for the subject being re-interpreted.

This sounds like I'm complaining, and I'm not, so I'm gonna drop this point. I was only ever playing DA to begin with. At the very least, I sympathize with the guys who got on the train because the sign said Boston, even though it appears we can't go to Boston because they haven't finished building it yet. I feel like these are some of the more hardcore fans and they get called spergs and nerds by this thread.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
If hardcore fans weren't spergs and nerds, they wouldn't be hardcore fans.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Advice posted:

It can easily be an embellishment. But we could have easily had an embellished, dreamlike scene for Ned's memory anyway. The point is it wasnt faithful, and when you start to pick and choose what is or isn't important for a particular scene, you again beg the question of whether the medium you're using is appropriate for the subject being re-interpreted.

To be fair, it appears that while the ToJ scene in the Books was Ned's hazy recollection, in the show it's presented as Bran observing (and inadvertently turning out to sometimes have directly interacted with) the objective past. So while it may not be faithful to the scene in the source material per se, it may have been faithful to what actually happened in the world.

Martin is still clearly in consultation with the showrunners, so while the show is indeed unfettered from the shackles of the books, they are still at least trying to make a good-faith effort to adapt what the books are going to be covering.

Can't wait to see what will have the thread arguing in circles this coming week! :munch:

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
D&D are sure gonna have egg on their faces when Martin reveals Dawn as Jon's real father.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Advice posted:

The book doesn't "belong" to the fans, but they're called fans for a reason. I bet you nobody ready the Tower of Joy passage and thought, "Man, meteor sword, that sounds stupid as gently caress.
Me. That was me. My complaint may not have been exactly 'too fantasy' - but the books already have Special Magic Swords and I wondered why we really needed to be introduced to this Super Special Magic Sword. It reeked of power creep on one hand and of the total inability of Martin to close his story on another. And there are many elements in the later books that I feel the same way about, that they are convoluted and stupid and should have been edited out, and it makes me happy that the show did exactly that if Martin himself refuses to work with an editor that does more than OK things.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Dawn only appears in the first book though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I'm glad that the guy is dead only because a couple more episodes will probably wash all discussion of his sword(s) away as irrelevant since HE HELLA DEAD. Good job Ned Stark. Good job Ned Stark's backstabbing squire. Drinks and dead sisters all around!

• Locked thread