Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Why the gently caress did they buff LBV :wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClonedPickle
Apr 23, 2010

Psion posted:

Yeah, they're clearly trying to make it so grenades/dynamite are actually viable instead of "literally no point to take this if you have molotovs" which is okay, I guess. We'll see how much the 10 second hit to molotov time matters. I've seen fire mines in use, and I'm a little skeptical: considering how point-heavy they are and how not-spectacular they were in action. Like, good, but not mega OP super powerful.

Fire mines actually kinda suck because it seems like the pattern of the fire is random and usually unhelpful - I mean, I glazed over during the whole discussion of how exactly it works because I don't think any of you knew what you were talking about, but I gathered that Shanks doesn't even want to use them as a gimmick anymore and that's generally pretty bad. Although that might've been because cops will somehow magically avoid setting them off until just after they've turned off a power box or something. I don't think nerfing fire mines is the right thing to do given the crazy point investment (in the same tree as drill skills, no less, so you'll probably be overspending if you want those + good mines). Molotovs I understand, although I dunno if that'll get me to switch throwables. Maybe I'll try shuriken if my guns aren't super ammo efficient, or dynamite if I want to contribute to blowing up Captain Jean-Luc Picard Slim Shady JOHN CENA Winters.

Also yes buffing LBV lmao

e: Ex-Prez LBV is now tied with Ex-Prez Suit for dodge (base 20), great

ClonedPickle fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 26, 2016

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
yeah, that's more or less what I meant, I just used too many words. if Shanks isn't willing to use something as a gimmick, that something is genuinely not worth it. This is currently true of fire mines.

fire mines should've been buffed. something like "a reliable detonation pattern and a better proximity fuse" would count as a buff, they don't need to make them burn longer or hotter or whatever.

ClonedPickle posted:

e: Ex-Prez LBV is now tied with Ex-Prez Suit for dodge (base 20), great

so suit dodge is literally just "I don't have the points to put in the LBV +armor skills?" sure okay

Psion fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 26, 2016

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I don't really have any issues with firetrap mines although I haven't tried using them to defend boxes. However, oneshotting full health dozers with a well placed mine is worth the price of admission to me.

All they need to do is make frag grenades immune to police fire and I'll use them again.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

UnknownMercenary posted:

I don't really have any issues with firetrap mines although I haven't tried using them to defend boxes. However, oneshotting full health dozers with a well placed mine is worth the price of admission to me.

All they need to do is make frag grenades immune to police fire and I'll use them again.

If they make frag grenades immune to cop bullets, then there is literally no point in taking dynamite ever.

Tripmines were DW viable, at least on some maps. Hox Breakout was actually a great build for it - put tripmines in front of spawn points on day 1 and of course c4 the parking garage doors. On day 2, a well placed tripmine could protect the powerbox as long as you remember to place another one after the fire dies down. The key is to start by placing it right on the powerbox then slide it down to the floor below the power box. It had to be aligned just right in order to trigger a cop running for the powerbox. Obviously c4 was useful for objectives on day 2 as well.

I am trying out a yakuza berserker build and finding it pretty good with an AA12 and HE Judge and shotgun skills. I had bullseye but I might switch that out now that it was nerfed.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

clockworkjoe posted:

If they make frag grenades immune to cop bullets, then there is literally no point in taking dynamite ever.

Well, right now there's no reason to take frag grenades over dynamite. You can learn to adjust the arc for the throw so they're not instantly detonated, but the only difference between the two is that frag grenades can get blown up in your face. Make them the same if you're not willing to give them any statistical differences, IMO.

Also, I don't read TFR but this is what I imagine it's like: A Steam forums discussion about the real names of PD2 guns turns into a slapfight about which version of the AUG is in the game.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Post in it and casually mention the word "clip"

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Pedestrian Xing posted:

Post in it and casually mention the word "clip"

The thread is already nucular

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
Those changes are all largely stupid. It's totally unclear what motivated the changes, since they make good things better, and bad things worse. Maybe I'll say more later.

Sincerest of lols at the tripmine nerf, though.

ClonedPickle
Apr 23, 2010

Psion posted:

so suit dodge is literally just "I don't have the points to put in the LBV +armor skills?" sure okay

I mean, Ex-Prez gives +5% dodge in general and +20% for specifically vests, so I get that they would be close, but I think Overkill made the dodge changes to vests and only bothered to update Crook. I wouldn't be surprised if they go "OH RIGHT EX-PRESIDENT IS A DECK" in an upcoming patch or something. Is there any other deck with specific dodge-for-vest-only bonuses?

On the other hand, I don't see a way to get Overkill Aced without losing out a skill I consider crucial so that's pretty much the only leg up suit Ex-Prez builds have right now: pretending to also be Rogue.

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Those changes are all largely stupid. It's totally unclear what motivated the changes

Probably the steam forums, given how stupid they are

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
So has everyone switched to the beta or is it more of a back and forth thing? Check out the beta for a bit then go back to base game?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

TopHatGenius posted:

So has everyone switched to the beta or is it more of a back and forth thing? Check out the beta for a bit then go back to base game?

I've stayed away from the beta because I am lazy and don't have time to play the game at the moment. Although I don't know how long I can stay away at this point because with every step they take they sort of back up or stub their toe several feet backwards. The beta feels like it'll be here throughout most of the summer at this rate.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

ClonedPickle posted:

Fire mines actually kinda suck because it seems like the pattern of the fire is random and usually unhelpful - I mean, I glazed over during the whole discussion of how exactly it works because I don't think any of you knew what you were talking about, but I gathered that Shanks doesn't even want to use them as a gimmick anymore and that's generally pretty bad. Although that might've been because cops will somehow magically avoid setting them off until just after they've turned off a power box or something. I don't think nerfing fire mines is the right thing to do given the crazy point investment (in the same tree as drill skills, no less, so you'll probably be overspending if you want those + good mines).

I don't think it's random. It's most predictable, but the patterns are bad to the extent that they don't really behave in a useful way, given that these are tripmines. When I think of tripmines, I think of a little thingy that you stick on a wall, such that the beam is perpendicular to the direction that an enemy is running. That way, if they're going down a hallway, they literally can't avoid the beam. Turns out that fire mines don't work well with that setup, which is counter-intuitive, and somewhat ineffective. More on that soon.

If you stick a fire mine on the ground, so that the laser is pointing to the sky, detonating that mine causes a circle of fire to appear, centered on the mine. It's basically a molotov, and it covers a pretty substantial area. Not bad, since you could kind of treat them like 14 extra molotovs. The problem is kind of obvious, though: are cops necessarily going to path close enough to the mine if it's in the middle of a hallway, pointing to the ceiling? Maybe, maybe not.

Things change is you stick the mine on the floor again, but this time in a door frame:

That's a line of fire, not a circle. If you have a really long and narrow hallway with a doorframe in it, this works out pretty well. There are, however, plenty of scenarios in which this sort of setup just doesn't exist in any significant capacity, which limits the utility of the mines.

And then there's this, my primary source of angst with regard to mines:

The bullet impacts are where the mine used to be. When you detonate a mine that is on the wall, it spreads the fire primary up and down the wall, and only a tiny bit on the floor. In most instances, at least. So if you use mines in the way I originally described (the intuitive way), you waste basically all of your fire. You basically have to stick the mines on the floor in very narrow areas to get the most mileage out of them.

All in all, this makes mines really bad at doing the one thing they ought to be able to do: guard objectives. If you stick the mine on the wall near the objective (under it and pointing out, or with the beam running in front of the objective), the explosion might not kill the cop, and fire almost certainly won't spread far enough to be useful. You need to stick the mine on the floor. It has to be positioned very carefully so that it actually goes off. And even then, I've seen cops dash over the mine, turn off a powerbox, and then blow up. So they suck, basically. And now, it's even more likely that a lone cop will blow up a mine, only for the fire to dissipate before more cops show up.

It's absolutely absurd that tripmines are getting a nerf, especially considering their performance relative to sentries. Sentries are replaceable and effective, both at guarding objectives and killing cops in general. Tripmines are not. Sentries don't require much consideration with regard to placement (don't stick them in the middle of a room). Tripmines do. I might as well just camp a spawn/objective with an incendiary China Puff and get better results with no points invested.

UnknownMercenary posted:

Dozers are sufficiently easy to kill with a variety of methods that require no points invested that this shouldn't make any real difference.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

UnknownMercenary posted:

Well, right now there's no reason to take frag grenades over dynamite. You can learn to adjust the arc for the throw so they're not instantly detonated, but the only difference between the two is that frag grenades can get blown up in your face. Make them the same if you're not willing to give them any statistical differences, IMO.

Also, I don't read TFR but this is what I imagine it's like: A Steam forums discussion about the real names of PD2 guns turns into a slapfight about which version of the AUG is in the game.

You can shoot your own grenades to airburst them, so they're better than dynamite.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

I'm trying to find good weapons to use for a crook or ex prez LBV dodge build. Right now I've been using the valk or a modded car 4 and either a micro uzi or the P90 and even with crits, they seem lackluster on DW. Can I get radically better weapons if I ace sneaky bastard? I also pick inspire and swan song to carry teams but I could drop swan song at least.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

clockworkjoe posted:

I'm trying to find good weapons to use for a crook or ex prez LBV dodge build. Right now I've been using the valk or a modded car 4 and either a micro uzi or the P90 and even with crits, they seem lackluster on DW. Can I get radically better weapons if I ace sneaky bastard? I also pick inspire and swan song to carry teams but I could drop swan song at least.

If you're taking a rifle, IMO you ought to take some skills out of Technician-Oppressor. Particularly the +15 rounds/mag and the reload speed buff. I think it's also a mistake not to run an HE Judge as a secondary in that setup. A few silencer skills also go a long way.

If rifles don't do it for you, take a concealable Loco with some shotgun skills. If you can't do well with the Loco, well...

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Silencer tree, Dodge tree, Oppressor tree. Ex-prez deck. Silenced Micro Uzi and Clarion. Congrats, you're now a one-man army.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
WE HAVE DEV STREAM!

Outside of OVERKILL having no idea how to use Twitch, there is at least one good idea of Anarchist being remade to hopefully have higher armor regeneration for thicker armors like ITCV than for dodge builds.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 27, 2016

ClonedPickle
Apr 23, 2010
There's also a bunch of bad ideas, such as lowering the dodge bonuses for sprinting and crouching, and discussion of how Fire Trap was so overpowered (while a few minutes later Jules shoots a cop who is standing in a trip mine laser, about to shut off an objective). And then they almost failed an Overkill heist.

They claim dodge builds are able to run through enemies without caring but that really hasn't been true since Rogue was at its best (50 base dodge, 75 while sprinting), and even then there were plenty of times where it didn't work.

I really hope there's a way to mod skilltrees because I really don't think Overkill knows what they're doing. I get that Jules is gonna suck on stream because he's gotta juggle a bunch of different things at once but the changes they're making are baffling. And they didn't really discuss the changes they just made beyond "molotovs and fire trap were way too overpowered" and "more changes are coming."

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

If you're taking a rifle, IMO you ought to take some skills out of Technician-Oppressor. Particularly the +15 rounds/mag and the reload speed buff. I think it's also a mistake not to run an HE Judge as a secondary in that setup. A few silencer skills also go a long way.

If rifles don't do it for you, take a concealable Loco with some shotgun skills. If you can't do well with the Loco, well...

Body expertise worth it?

Also, I have tried the berserker yakuza frenzy build and it doesn't seem that viable on DW because after you get picked up, you have a sliver of health, like maybe 1% or something like that. You have zero margin of error because a single attack that gets past your armor will down you. If they even had the standard 10% health on DW, they would be a little more playable, but it doesn't matter how quick you regen armor on DW, some attacks are going to get through and down you.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

If he's running the Valk, I'd say he needs the +15 rounds and the reload. They're pretty much necessary for that gun.

clockworkjoe posted:

Body expertise worth it?

Also, I have tried the berserker yakuza frenzy build and it doesn't seem that viable on DW because after you get picked up, you have a sliver of health, like maybe 1% or something like that. You have zero margin of error because a single attack that gets past your armor will down you. If they even had the standard 10% health on DW, they would be a little more playable, but it doesn't matter how quick you regen armor on DW, some attacks are going to get through and down you.

Body expertise works best if you're running shield stumble and armor piercing. The former means less shots to kill a stumbling shields and the latter means you can just unload on a group with browns in it without worrying too much about aiming. Crits are a nice addition as it means you'll never get downed by charging cloakers, but I don't label it as a necessity.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 27, 2016

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

clockworkjoe posted:

Body expertise worth it?

If you've got the points, you could take BE. You definitely don't need it, though. It just allows you to be lazier about aiming, while saving a bit of ammo.

DW Berserker with anything other than Anarchist is a really dangerous proposition. You can do it, but you're probably going to get downed a lot, or be forced to play really, really conservatively. And that's not fun. Even with Anarchist, it can be rough.

E: This is also a reason why I think all this discussion about "DW is too easy" and "some builds are OP" are totally misguided. If you use min-maxed builds that rely on information about the game acquired over hundreds of hours, then yeah, the game is going to be pretty easy. Duh. That doesn't mean that the game itself is too easy or unbalanced, and that it absolutely needs to get harder. Making it harder just makes it even less likely that people will try out a sub-optimal build that will inevitably struggle to keep up with mix-maxed builds.

Plan Z posted:

If he's running the Valk, I'd say he needs the +15 rounds and the reload. They're pretty much necessary for that gun.

Oh, absolutely. Those skills also make the Clarion a lot nicer. If you can also squeeze in Bloodlust aced, that works out well, too. Shoot some cops, melee a cop, instantly reload. Repeat indefinitely.

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 28, 2016

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Did that stream give us an ETA on the beta going live?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Has Overkill been tweaking spawn rates on overkill and DW? Lately, I've noticed that in some games, spawn rates are very high and enemies are more aggressive than normal. For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZAhSSiTPqk

I was trying to get some friends through DW hox breakout. Normally, that's not too hard, but normally I don't see every corridor choked with cops. I know they weren't using optimal tactics, but this felt like DW+. Is there any way to tell if they have changed spawn rates?

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

how to be a real girl gamer in PD2

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

I appreciate this. :allears:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Tempest_56 posted:

Did that stream give us an ETA on the beta going live?

It's looking like next Thursday for most of the integration. I'll post a giant recap infodump here. This is thirdhand via facepunch, via reddit. Note that if you see "claimed" it means someone watching asserted this in the chat. Bolded comments are more important and have less entitled playerbase white noise.

My take is that 1) Jules and Tobias are both excellent sources of info who actually have good ideas about how the game works, 2) A large number of the things they don't immediately assert are being planned probably will never happen, 3) they're utilizing some of my more general suggestions for difficulty increases, and 4) the discussion of a separate silenced sentry gun is currently unclear.

quote:

Big update coming Thursday. Release to live game, many changes. Next revision appears to be a Difficulty rework

Grenade changes- Molotov and Firetrap were considered too powerful, duration too long
Grenades- smaller radius, but more damage. Range nerf was stronger than expected, supposed to 1 shot non-specials on DW, perhaps +50-100 damage buff
Armor v Dodge- They are happy with Armor as is. Dodge is too good, specifically sprinter & duck & cover bonuses will be reduced. Expect removal of crouch bonus, reduce sprinter dodge by 10-15%, and buff base dodge.
Anarchist- too strong in beta due to accessibility of skills. ICTV regen ticks to be buffed, suit/LBV nerfed. Suit anarchist would also be impacted by above dodge changes.
Claim: non Armor bezerker builds suck. Jules thinks this is ok. Loves concept of risk/reward bezerker, though doesn't care to give players tools to fine tune their health
Jules loves Frenzy + Bezerker. Frenzy without bezerker sucks, but Jules says he is ok with it and will stay as is. Thinks Hostage taker/muscle + frenzy is very strong.
Hitman perk deck to be slightly buffed as they lost unique akimbo use. Armor regen not really something Jules believes in as something that can be made into a good bonus.
No melee rebalance date. Matter of priorities and available programmer time. Generally too many melee weapons, that is why there are a lot of weapons with nearly identical stats. Generally expect other melees to be buffed towards katana

Happy with beta participation rates.
New tutorials? Yes this is coming
Trigger Happy confirmed to be changing to time window rather than consecutive hits
Sentries- Max will be 4. Can get 6 with jack of all trades. Silent sentry will be separate deployable. Both sentry types toggable between AP and normal rounds. The new look will be out with the next update (P90 version).
Weakest tree acknowledged to be sharpshooter. Spotter teamwork will be upgraded to make spotting easy, expected to be strong and used in coordinated DW games. Ammo efficiency will stay as is for now. Jules loves it, even though it has been poorly recieved. Ammo efficiency is targeted for DMR and high damage weapons, do not expect multiple

A chill character heister? Probably not.
Updates & huge downloads. Its complex. Wont improve in the near term, if ever.
Sentry guns- have been "nicer" with the remodel. Not clear on sound changes
Why are the skill trees being changed? Breath of fresh air. Current trees constrictive, messy. Wanted more of a mix of weapons & builds, not just shotgun/armor or akimbo/fugitive. Want to keep interest of players.

Die Hard aced- admitted only useful with ballistic vests, but Jules thinks you can build around it.
(Reiteration on dodge changes)

Two bag skill- not high on priority, difficult to implement. something they would like to do over time. Fixing sentry guns "easily" was a priority over 2 bags transporter.
Safehouse customization- coming. A date will be announced

Shinobi question- ace is now part of base game. basic is baseline or in the movement speed increase skill
The devs test builds & skill strength on DW difficulty, stream plays overkill to multitask/answer questions while playing. If they balanced to make overkill hard, DW would be too inaccessible
Ammo efficiency- DMR & snipers suffer from ammo pickup nerfs. Wanted ammo efficiency in sharpshooter so DMR players dont feel compelled to get fully loaded aced. (Almir cameo)
All payday heists missions to PD2? Yes working on it, gradually all of them in
Camouflage- why is it in tier 1 silent killer? Will be moved into aced tier 2, new tier 1 skill incoming. Jules confirms it is useless if all take it, and weak in public games, but good in coordinated teams. Allows a player to get in closer proximity before they are targeted over teammates. New tier 1 skill to be revealed on thursday's release
Aggressive reload should apply to AR and SMG, was on the bug list
Safehouse customization- will not be using offshore, as too many players would cap out day 1. Will be time-in-heist unlocked, bonus for DW. Money is confirmed to be a lifetime score, not really a resource any more.
Sentry guns- are strong right now. Ammo capacity will be reduced, nerfing them overall (Almir cameo)

Of new skills, Jules is having the most fun playing with body expertise
Winters claimed to be dull. Jules thinks he needs more work, could come when they update difficulty
MacOS X version coming? No knowledge
Recap on grenade changes. Molotov needed nerf, 20 sec too long. Idea on other grenades was to reduce radius but 1 shot non-specials. underestimated damage falloff, expect damage buff
Minute 58 Hoxton Breakout OVK
Favorite heister? Jules-Jacket Tobias-Clover TuffeCooke-Bodhi RetroDalek-Sydney
Crimefest 2016? cant say. if so, there will be a proper announcement
Workshop? what kind of workshop? can't say. probably start simple. Not heists.
possible to toggle loud/silent drills? nice to do, but not going to happen right now. this will become optional (not tier 1 basic). some players use it to distract guards in stealth, and jules does not want to deprive them of this option
Slow sniper rifles, buffs incoming? No, not for release of beta. But sharpshooter could be updated because it is recognized as weak, new top tier skill? just ideas phase
Anarchist- will be getting a bit of a nerf (see above). Reducing regen on lighter armors, improving regen on heavier armors

Payday runs on diesel 2 engine
Host migration? looking into it, no date. They want to improve "lobby stability"
Console update? No date, video coming. Almir recorded it today.
Aim down sights accuracy bonus skill- Automatic mode /shotguns do not benefit from aim down sight accuracy. Jules says they should be. Currently only applies to single fire, a bug
(1:06) Difficulty- Threads noticed. They are planning for a difficulty pass. Goals-
Have a more stable experience. Bulldozers to spawn on normal?
More even gaps between normal Normal=Hard Hard-very hard big, very hard=overkill overkil-deathwish big gap.
Probably a new difficulty between overkill & deathwish
Death wish+? Might come a bit later
Tutorials

Dual SMGs? Jules thought they would be OP, but spreads make it ok
Favorite sidearm? China puff for Jules. Thinks judge is fun
More mask colors? Not currently planned
Cloakers (dozers?) able to run? will be looked at during difficulty rebalance
Why drop bags before using deployable? just artifact of original game development, difficult to change now
Jack of all trades- cant see second on menu, cant switch in heists on controller? answer was on using x
Loot drop system- currently no plan to change it
Jules does not like stairs in Hox breakout day 2 opened.
Infamy change? no, should not be required, should be more cosmetic & prestige. current bonus of tier reduction for infamy 5 is considered strong as is.
Advanced video options? adding them is a lot of work.

Permanent bloodsplatter/bullet holes? not possible? jules likes corpse delimiter mod. Jokes on movement penalty for moving through piles of bodies
Worst & best thing to work on in Payday 2? Best: Skill beta. Worst: QA testing the difficulty achieves (all hard/very hard/overkill/deathwish heists).
Tobias also likes the skill beta. Worst for him was testing dr miserable and failing on last bag. One overkill QA sucks at deathwish shadow raid. Bad.
Favorite update & least favorite update (to community members)? no answers. Tuffcooke has 1600 hours, RetroDalek has 74. Jules plays world of warcraft, afraid to know how many hours. Jules has ~6000 hours, though it is his 9-5
Streams- overkill is planning weekly streams.
Uppers skill- cooldown? Yes, next update will have cooldown on multiple automatic uses in short span. Jules doesn't think it is that bad without cooldown, but was terribly op before swan song/uppers change.
Jack of all trades- controller fix for toggle coming up in next update. In menu too
[1:32] Safehouse- not ready to announce a date. (nb: sounds like it is not near term)
3rd person view model update- no clue. Admit they are not good at this.

Jules likes that tuffecooke was terrified at first sight of captain.
Hardware expert aced, kickstarter basic seen as weak use of points. Jules is fine with the point price & % success (he says 35%, not sure if that is bad memory or coming change as it is 30% now)
Game not made to support different cop AI around hostages, but Jules is good with making civs harder to kill.
Mid range = 10m per Jules' memory
butterfly knife concealment not 30? jules memory thinks it should be 29 or 30
Any chance of leg/arm hitboxes? They are looking into, can't say more/when.

Ace frenzy make sense? Jules likes it. Admits it makes less sense without health regen or damage reduction
Ballistic shields for players? Was considered, encountered issues (animation/ai response)
Game size constantly increasing? Looking into optimization always. Not 100gb game
Plans for saw? not on release, but yes, to be moved to a melee weapon

Detailing development priorities? - a forbidden topic
Buff dozers incoming? Yes, on the difficulty pass. Perhaps less staggering sooner
Frenzy aced no cooldown for health damage? It is a damage reduction bug. fix may not be ready for release
Cable tie update- cable guy useless? No, they start with more (need to kill ~20 people to make up 4 tie difference). Throwable weapon return will be fixed to not get cable ties.
Akimbo revolvers? More akimbo yes, revolvers? we'll see
Are you going to buff armor? No, dodge will be nerfed. Armor is stronger now than release version because easier to spec into the armor friendly skills.
Jules is confounded by pathing on FWB. Specials can be seen through front windows, but then path through front door.
Are we focusing on stealth or loud? Overkill works on both, stealth is more complicated to develop and loud are generally more popular, but they want to work on both.

Current ammo pickup? Community members are ok with it. jules is so good that he feels he needs to ask others on their experience
1:56 The 3 most experienced attempt to face hug a DW black dozer. Does not go well. 74 hours cannot save. RIP
Jules think shotguns are very strong, especially with current skills. Auto shotguns are efficient and clear rooms quickly.
Frenzy- will there be anything indicating you are using frenzy to your teammates? it is possible to add, but not a priority. Rely on communication
Borderless windows settings? not planned, though tobias wants it
stamina on HUD? Jules is for giving player more info, but no immediate change. mods can fill gap

Achievements like crazy ivan- indication on fails on this and similar achieves? something that can be considered
More deployables/throwables? Deployables not in near future (beyond silent sentries). Throwables more coming via DLC
More cop chatter? generally overpowered by other sounds
Bulletproof aced? Jules is happy with it, admits best for faster firing weapons, admits could be OP now

clockworkjoe posted:

Has Overkill been tweaking spawn rates on overkill and DW? Lately, I've noticed that in some games, spawn rates are very high and enemies are more aggressive than normal. For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZAhSSiTPqk

I was trying to get some friends through DW hox breakout. Normally, that's not too hard, but normally I don't see every corridor choked with cops. I know they weren't using optimal tactics, but this felt like DW+. Is there any way to tell if they have changed spawn rates?

Unclear- the big dogs of lua that I could normally ask aren't studying the beta for those things at the moment. Some of this may be a psychological effect of nerfs to player powers in recent patches- though I also feel as if enemies are pathing more aggressively, and spawn lists may have changed.

Question: are folks still seeing a spawngroup on DW consisting of a taser and two blue SWAT?

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 07:06 on May 29, 2016

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

I'm rather dubious about claims that Jules knows how the game "actually works."

tl;dr: A lot of this boils down to "Jules thinks X..." Thought processes are rarely justified, and counterarguments are never addressed. Case in point: "Jules loves it, even though it has been poorly recieved." Why does he love it? Why has it been poorly received? Are people just mad about video games, or is there some merit to their irritation?

Examples:

quote:

Anarchist- too strong in beta due to accessibility of skills. ICTV regen ticks to be buffed, suit/LBV nerfed. Suit anarchist would also be impacted by above dodge changes.

Anarchist isn't bad in the beta, by any means, but it's still worse than Muscle for armor users, and Grinder/Ex-Prez for dodge people. I don't expect this to change, given the described changes.

quote:

Claim: non Armor bezerker builds suck. Jules thinks this is ok. Loves concept of risk/reward bezerker, though doesn't care to give players tools to fine tune their health

Jules is mostly right here, I think, but only when it comes to light-armor Anarchist builds. Others are viable in that you can get your team to carry you, but they certainly don't work particularly well. And even then, the light-armor Anarchist is notably worse than other light-armor variants. Post-nerf, I assume they will be even worse.

In a vacuum, the risk/reward trade-off makes sense. This isn't a vacuum, though. If you don't talk about builds in relative terms, I'll have a hard time believing you know what you're talking about, or that you understand what's going on.

quote:

Hardware expert aced, kickstarter basic seen as weak use of points. Jules is fine with the point price & % success (he says 35%, not sure if that is bad memory or coming change as it is 30% now)

"Look guys, I know you have your opinions, but this is mine, and we're sticking with mine. No, I won't explain further."

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 08:13 on May 29, 2016

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jules might not be the best guy to touch the difficulty as has a poor perspective on other lesser players and good for him to acknowledge that a little bit. No Deathwish plus please, just no, leave that garbage sandboxed in mods. Overkill plus might be interesting if it is OK level of health and damage, DW enemies, aggressiveness, map changes, "Realism" mode with no outlines or possibly HUD.

If Jules had more time he would be able to try to justify himself. I am weary of him though putting out balance changes since as a tester they always want something more difficult even if they do it inadvertently. There are cases where testers got a hold of the game in such a fashion and made the game unplayable/unenjoyable.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

oohhboy posted:

If Jules had more time he would be able to try to justify himself. I am weary of him though putting out balance changes since as a tester they always want something more difficult even if they do it inadvertently. There are cases where testers got a hold of the game in such a fashion and made the game unplayable/unenjoyable.

I want more difficult stuff. The people I often play with want more difficult stuff. But these changes don't really get there, and making things more difficult such that some builds end up relegated to underused gimmicks isn't a good move. The fact that Jules never talks about the builds that are obviously optimal says a lot, IMO. It's even more telling that builds that aren't particularly good are thought to be "perfectly fine" or are nerfed.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
RetroDalek the 74 hour guy probably is the guy to go to for the feel of the game. He isn't pro-ed up and running the numbers. He is going to be playing with these lower tier builds with much less inside knowledge and raw FPS skills. That knowledge and FPS skills is why Jules keeps nerfing these builds since he hasn't figured out that it is him that is picking up the slack not that the builds are strong.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

oohhboy posted:

RetroDalek the 74 hour guy probably is the guy to go to for the feel of the game. He isn't pro-ed up and running the numbers. He is going to be playing with these lower tier builds with much less inside knowledge and raw FPS skills. That knowledge and FPS skills is why Jules keeps nerfing these builds since he hasn't figured out that it is him that is picking up the slack not that the builds are strong.

If you're bad at the shootmans, don't play DW. Everything is still entirely viable on Overkill.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

If you're bad at the shootmans, don't play DW. Everything is still entirely viable on Overkill.

Why do you insist on this quaint notion that I am bad at shootmans? You do realise I am arguing for the improved viability for these lesser builds, something that you and I want.

Go jump into that foul kitty litter box called Deathwish+ and see if it is fun or even playable. The people in there are you amplified.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

oohhboy posted:

Why do you insist on this quaint notion that I am bad at shootmans? You do realise I am arguing for the improved viability for these lesser builds, something that you and I want.

Go jump into that foul kitty litter box called Deathwish+ and see if it is fun or even playable. The people in there are you amplified.

You're arguing that things ought to be balanced around people who don't have much experience with the game, like this Dalek guy. It's a mistake to not run the numbers and take those into account. We can agree that all builds should be viable, but that doesn't mean DW should be particularly accessible.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was arguing for RetroDalek's influence as the anti-you/Jules. Once you get to the level you or I play at, we have lost that perspective. Regardless of difficulty it still has to be fun and not be a masochist to enjoy. You want people to keep playing as you go up the difficulty levels not kick them to the curb.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

oohhboy posted:

I was arguing for RetroDalek's influence as the anti-you/Jules. Once you get to the level you or I play at, we have lost that perspective. Regardless of difficulty it still has to be fun and not be a masochist to enjoy. You want people to keep playing as you go up the difficulty levels not kick them to the curb.

We agree. Not sure why you think I'm like Jules in that regard. However, given the age of the game, it stands to reason that the highest difficulties ought to remain interesting for those of us that have been around for most of the game's life.

E: My main criticism of Jules is that he doesn't ever evaluate things in relative terms. Why does he feel that Anarchist is overpowered in the Beta, especially relative to other choices? From what I can see, it's definitely not.

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 10:49 on May 29, 2016

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You're Jules in this regard as you unwittingly to push the game closer to unplayability. Testers get stuck in their own little world and start thinking everyone is as good as them or enjoy the game as same as they do.

If DW+ is nothing more than a doubling down on DW it's going to be poo poo.

E: My main criticism of Jules is that he doesn't ever evaluate things in relative terms. Why does he feel that Anarchist is overpowered in the Beta, especially relative to other choices? From what I can see, it's definitely not.
That's because he isn't. He is basing it on his own skills and biases. For example, I can't play dodge as I just don't have the right mindset for it, but for him it works really well, so to him it might be OP therefore nerf. That's one of the reason why you need to bring in Mr 74 Hours to balance him out.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

oohhboy posted:

You're Jules in this regard as you unwittingly to push the game closer to unplayability.

In what regard? Please cite a specific example from a recent discussion. At this point, I'm largely pushing back against changes to the beta, and instead arguing that other trees need to be buffed.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I want more difficult stuff. The people I often play with want more difficult stuff. But these changes don't really get there, and making things more difficult such that some builds end up relegated to underused gimmicks isn't a good move. The fact that Jules never talks about the builds that are obviously optimal says a lot, IMO. It's even more telling that builds that aren't particularly good are thought to be "perfectly fine" or are nerfed.

You turn in on yourself a bit to the point you didn't seem to know what you want, but whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

oohhboy posted:

You turn in on yourself a bit to the point you didn't seem to know what you want, but whatever.

I admit to wanting challenging content, but I'm not arguing that nerfing existing builds is the way to achieve that, while Overkill is. If difficulty is to be elevated (on DW), it needs to be done in a more interesting, less "more health and damage for cops, fewer optimal options for players" fashion. Sorry this nuance is so challenging for you.