Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Triarii posted:

Every time I jump in on a Bastion as Winston I have this fantasy where, while you're facing backwards to shoot me to death, my team is going to take advantage of your exposed weak spot to take you out and move up.

This has never even come close to happening.

A bastion that doesn't panic should always be able to kill a winston that jumps in on him. The lightning gun doesn't get headshots so your weakness of "triple damage from the back" doesn't exist, and with his armor bastion is really tanky against the lightning gun. Instead of jumping in as bastion you should swap to genji and go wreck him, or hanzo/pharah if you are bad at genji. If you want to stick to a tank, grab D.Va and coordinate with 1 person on your team so when you fly in and make him rotate he gets mowed. If you can approach out of his line of fire then you'll live until defense matrix drops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Blizzard should put in a physical scoreboard hidden away in each level, in a room that locks you in and doesn't let you leave, so you can watch everyone else's score get higher than yours. Also it puts you in time out after the game ends.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I don't get why Bastion makes people so salty because every time I play as him I can't do poo poo. I try to set up in a nice spot with some good sightlines and away from the enemy team, but as soon as I do, I get sniped from across the map or a Pharah dodges back and forth behind a wall and hits me with three rockets. Goons, please tell me the secret of making pubbie tears flow as Bastion.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

The secret is having your teammates support you, and make sure that the heroes that counter you don't get a chance to. You should try playing with goons.

Edit: oh, and don't set up somewhere with long enough sight lines to get sniped. Try to cover the side of a choke point, not look down it.

Tenik fucked around with this message at 09:49 on May 29, 2016

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
overwatch_pubbies.png

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
my first potg was junkrat stuck in a corner so i popped ult and blew it up as fast as possible killing roadhog and his mercy, and the random tracer who picked the wrong time to rewind.

that was my 2nd game and all others have just been winston stuff going ape and smacking people off cliffs.

any other potgs are just well good plays or some weird like widow snipes a guy then does a hook back to spawn poo poo.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I'd like to buy some highlight intros but right now Hanzo literally gets it for killing two people almost all the time. Zarya and I (as Pharah) wombo'd to kill 4 guys, and then I got a fifth. Hanzo got POTG for 2 kills.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

ZypherIM posted:

you should swap to genji and go wreck him
Note if you want to do this: play mind games with your deflect. As bastion, I cannot count the number of times I've seen a genji who decided to deflect the second I LoSed him, so I just had to...not shoot for a couple seconds, and then proceed to make him die.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I'd like to buy some highlight intros but right now Hanzo literally gets it for killing two people almost all the time. Zarya and I (as Pharah) wombo'd to kill 4 guys, and then I got a fifth. Hanzo got POTG for 2 kills.
I recently got a PotG as Bastion for killing someone, sitting idle while Genji hopped around in deflect, then killing Genji and healing. 10/10 would heal again

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Nehru the Damaja posted:

things seem to be weighted weird

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

verbal enema posted:

things seem to be weighted weird

I think it's the "sharpshooter" category where you get credit for headshotting people in the torso with Hanzo.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Holy crap, Lucio owns. My two favourite characters are so laid back. :allears:

Kehveli
Apr 1, 2009

Push It Like You Push Your Girlfriend
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uaMGXqluRU

traditional knockbacks are for suckers

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Mercy play of the century (NOT A REZ)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfkTl97Ip90

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I don't get why Bastion makes people so salty because every time I play as him I can't do poo poo. I try to set up in a nice spot with some good sightlines and away from the enemy team, but as soon as I do, I get sniped from across the map or a Pharah dodges back and forth behind a wall and hits me with three rockets. Goons, please tell me the secret of making pubbie tears flow as Bastion.

Every pubbie Bastion I go against just gets minced, mostly because I'm usually playing Soldier: 76. Click click click click, right click, Bastion gone. Yesterday I ran into a team of doing 6x Bastion and wiped out half of them easily. then they switched to 6x junkrat and it became waaaaay harder. I turned a corner and saw a wall of cricket ball bombs flying at me.

Slime fucked around with this message at 10:47 on May 29, 2016

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Hey, I have a great one, too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3nhOMQkG8A

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Bad players think bastion is a massive hurdle because they are "bad players"

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

ZypherIM posted:

A bastion that doesn't panic should always be able to kill a winston that jumps in on him. The lightning gun doesn't get headshots so your weakness of "triple damage from the back" doesn't exist, and with his armor bastion is really tanky against the lightning gun. Instead of jumping in as bastion you should swap to genji and go wreck him, or hanzo/pharah if you are bad at genji. If you want to stick to a tank, grab D.Va and coordinate with 1 person on your team so when you fly in and make him rotate he gets mowed. If you can approach out of his line of fire then you'll live until defense matrix drops.

Yeah, that became very apparent after like the second time I tried it. I actually mostly play Junkrat, who is an all right counter to Bastion in most areas.

It does stand out to me how much one Bastion can change a match (in bad random games, at least). I just played a game with a decent Bastion on my team against an enemy team that just didn't bother bringing the tools to counter him, and the rest of us could pretty much just sit back and watch as the Bastion mowed down the entire team over and over again. I've never had any other single character where I felt "wow, this guy is doing 90% of the work on this team".

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
In other news I just came across a great Widow and she stood for 100% of my deaths on Dorado :frogbon: Widow is going to be infuriating as more people get better at her

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
It doesn't work for every Bastion, but as long as there's an approach to get close without dying I find Roadhog works really well. Hooking them towards you messes them up good. Circling around and dragging them off is my go-to method whenever anyone does the "Bastion behind Reinhardt sitting on the payload" gimmick.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Move around a bunch. The undeploy is very fast, and undeploying/redeploying is faster than reloading while deployed and reloads for you. You can jump and deploy in midair to make yourself a bit less of a target, too. Don't be afraid to deploy while someone's shooting at you if their DPS is low or they aren't landing every shot, since you can most likely out-race them to a kill and heal yourself after. Try setting up in locations that are to the side of the payload/walk to the control point, and you can catch a few people off guard.

And, obviously, if you have teammates who want to support you, let them help. Sit behind a Reinhardt's shield and ruin some people's days, but don't just sit there still while a Junkrat is flanking around to try and displace you.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

It's the noob tube mentality. Bastion is the prototypical low skill floor, low skill ceiling noob hero. He exists almost exclusively so that people who are terrible at the game can still pick a character, get some kills and have fun even if they're not pulling out sick reaper quad kill ults. Naturally, this means bad or ignorant players get dumpstered by him and since everyone thinks they're way better than they actually are the problem's gotta be with the game's design and not the fact that sprinting into his face and spraying wildly is the wrong way to deal with him.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I am very good with bastions regular minigun but I cant use his ultimate for poo poo, I always miss with the rockets and get like 2 kills when all other bastions wipe out the entire enemy team with it :(

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Lady Naga posted:

It's the noob tube mentality. Bastion is the prototypical low skill floor, low skill ceiling noob hero. He exists almost exclusively so that people who are terrible at the game can still pick a character, get some kills and have fun even if they're not pulling out sick reaper quad kill ults. Naturally, this means bad or ignorant players get dumpstered by him and since everyone thinks they're way better than they actually are the problem's gotta be with the game's design and not the fact that sprinting into his face and spraying wildly is the wrong way to deal with him.

Bastion is really hard to deal with if the team is supporting him though. Like some defensive chokepoints can be well covered by the whole team and then you finally get in and you still have to deal with the 700 dps rear end in a top hat behind a reinhardt shield

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Nehru the Damaja posted:

If you want easy POTGs as Pharah, play her on Nepal or Ilios and push dudes off the cliffs there. For whatever reason environmental kills are weighted heavily.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Bastion is really hard to deal with if the team is supporting him though. Like some defensive chokepoints can be well covered by the whole team and then you finally get in and you still have to deal with the 700 dps rear end in a top hat behind a reinhardt shield

Well sure but it's not uncounterable or even that overpowered. Bastion was ran like five or six times during the tournament last night and every single time the team using him lost.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
The Nepal map with the pit adjacent to the point is great for all kinds of things. In addition to the obvious Pharah and Lucio pit kills, I had a good time as Roadhog standing across the pit from the point and hooking people off and letting them fall to their deaths.

arsegrit
Oct 22, 2004
Can't stop playing Pharah, the rockets make such a satisfying sound.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Pharah owns, except when the other team has a competent widow or soldier

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Nurulwai posted:

Can't stop playing Pharah, the rockets make such a satisfying sound.

Zzulu posted:

Pharah owns, except when the other team has a competent widow or soldier

JUSTICE R-AARRRRGHHH

arsegrit
Oct 22, 2004
That happens more than I'd like to admit.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Lprsti99 posted:

Blizzard should put in a physical scoreboard hidden away in each level, in a room that locks you in and doesn't let you leave, so you can watch everyone else's score get higher than yours. Also it puts you in time out after the game ends.

Hmm this seems very anti consumer

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Just had to figure out how to leave voice cause some guy was literally eating some kind of wet, disgusting food loudly over mic and breathing heavily, also he picked Roadhog

Can you mute people?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

Just had to figure out how to leave voice cause some guy was literally eating some kind of wet, disgusting food loudly over mic and breathing heavily, also he picked Roadhog

Can you mute people?

Dude was just role-playing. Press O to bring up the Social Menu and you can mute from there.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Welp, guess I'm uninstalling. I'm never getting a better PotG than this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK1HPnmccgU

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

Can you mute people?

Yes. Press P to open the social menu, where you can silence individuals and choose which voice chat you'll speak in.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Quick math pop quiz:

What are the odds of me getting 3 duplicates from a single loot box (the fourth item being 50 coins) when I just hit level 39?

That's gotta be some Powerball level poo poo right here.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I just got this and mouse acceleration, vsync, and motion blur are all disabled by default. :3:

Can someone explain the dva suicide thing? I swear I saw someone jump out and launch their mech into my teammates, I was just getting out and running like hell. I love that the class that can fly around the map is the as wide as a barn. Do different not-melee classes deal different melee damage? I was getting a lot more luck with melees flying around as the demoratman guy.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

mcbexx posted:

Quick math pop quiz:

What are the odds of me getting 3 duplicates from a single loot box (the fourth item being 50 coins) when I just hit level 39?

That's gotta be some Powerball level poo poo right here.

probably pretty high

this loving rng... getting duplicates when I have a hundred fifty items out of a thousand items total... what are the fucken odds!

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Minrad posted:

probably pretty high

this loving rng... getting duplicates when I have a hundred fifty items out of a thousand items total... what are the fucken odds!

Heh, showed him!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Something I really dislike about Pharah is that her concussive shot doesn't seem to impart any vertical momentum, so you can't use it like Junkrat's mine. Maybe they didn't want to make her overly mobile or something, but it still kinda irritates me. Although I just learned it does massive shield damage and no health damage, so that's interesting.