Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
The Parthians are giving me a lot of trouble in this game - along with their allies in Egypt, they're a real thorn in my side. Anyone have any good tips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I would expect that the generals are another thing you can spend political points on. That's why Germany's deep bench is such an asset, since it gives a lot of room to grow before you have to spend political points, even if the United Nations all have higher level generals. Also I expect plenty of events that add and subtract generals.

gqul
Jun 4, 2015

sudo rm -rf posted:

Hey if you guys are bored, want to review my list for national endonyms?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vnO-I9pMoHLa69uzo2TbasS31x-lj1cTkfCy2RVV1Y8/pubhtml

Also seeking good ideas for all the alt-history ideologies

I can talk a bit about the Chinese names. Ironically what bothers me most is the English names Paradox went with. "Nationalist China" should be "Republic of China", and "Communist China" should be "Chinese Soviet Republic", which are the proper translations for the Chinese names you're using. Those are fine. Most warlords didn't have proper names for their territories, they just went with the names of the province they controlled. Guangxi Clique is kind of an exception though, that should probably say 新桂系 (Xīn Guì Xì - "xin" meaning "new", "gui" being an abbreviation of Guangxi, and "xi" being translated as "clique").

I don't know how much you care about this, but orthography is a super political issue in Chinese-speaking places. You're using Simplified Chinese for everything except the Republic of China. I can see how you came up with that, since Simplified Chinese is the standard in China and Singapore, but Traditional Chinese is the standard in the Republic of China (better known as Taiwan). If your concern is simply historicity, I recommend using Traditional across the board, as Simplified wasn't established as a national standard until the 50s. The romanization standard you're using, Pinyin, also wasn't invented until the 50s, though, so you might want to drop that for something like Wade-Giles. If you just want to write it like how most people would write it, though, I recommend Pinyin and Simplified. On the other hand, this game (probably?) isn't going to be sold in China so you might actually have more people who prefer Traditional.

So yeah it's a bit of a clusterfuck. Good luck with your spreadsheet I guess.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Enjoy posted:

Wait what thread are we in

This is where we discuss Sonic 3&Knuckles.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Funky Valentine posted:

I want to play as Kim Il-sung liberating the Korean people from the barbaric yoke of the Japanese devils.

Glorious Leader Kim Il-Sung will be in the mod, but you'll have to hurry in your effort to make Korea great again because he dies a year after the mod starts.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

sudo rm -rf posted:

Hey if you guys are bored, want to review my list for national endonyms?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vnO-I9pMoHLa69uzo2TbasS31x-lj1cTkfCy2RVV1Y8/pubhtml

Also seeking good ideas for all the alt-history ideologies

I think the correct Latin name for Switzerland would be "Helvetica" not "Helvetia".

I'd say that you should just use Schweiz/Suisse/Svizzera, but then you'd have to do something similar for other countries with multiple official languages.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

This is where we discuss Sonic 3&Knuckles.

What do you mean Knuckles is only skill 4??? Canceled my preorder

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

What do you mean Knuckles is only skill 4??? Canceled my preorder

He can't jump as high as the other two.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

gqul posted:

I can talk a bit about the Chinese names. Ironically what bothers me most is the English names Paradox went with. "Nationalist China" should be "Republic of China", and "Communist China" should be "Chinese Soviet Republic", which are the proper translations for the Chinese names you're using. Those are fine. Most warlords didn't have proper names for their territories, they just went with the names of the province they controlled. Guangxi Clique is kind of an exception though, that should probably say 新桂系 (Xīn Guì Xì - "xin" meaning "new", "gui" being an abbreviation of Guangxi, and "xi" being translated as "clique").

I don't know how much you care about this, but orthography is a super political issue in Chinese-speaking places. You're using Simplified Chinese for everything except the Republic of China. I can see how you came up with that, since Simplified Chinese is the standard in China and Singapore, but Traditional Chinese is the standard in the Republic of China (better known as Taiwan). If your concern is simply historicity, I recommend using Traditional across the board, as Simplified wasn't established as a national standard until the 50s. The romanization standard you're using, Pinyin, also wasn't invented until the 50s, though, so you might want to drop that for something like Wade-Giles. If you just want to write it like how most people would write it, though, I recommend Pinyin and Simplified. On the other hand, this game (probably?) isn't going to be sold in China so you might actually have more people who prefer Traditional.

Hey man, this is great information. That's a good argument for using the traditional for all of them, not just the ROC (what you mentioned was my exact thought-process, though. I didn't even consider that Simplified/Pinyin wouldn't have been around in 1936). What would you prefer? Pinyin and Simplified or Wade-Giles and Traditional? One thing to note is that I'll probably have to do romanization for everything first in a base mod and add native scripts as add-ons, which might take a little bit of time.

e:Also - Should I keep or remove the accent marks?

sudo rm -rf fucked around with this message at 11:36 on May 29, 2016

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Enjoy posted:

Good news, a mod has been announced that will accurately portray developments in boot technology between the different belligerent powers

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/early-mod-first-ideas.925091/

I like the idea of having to invent winter coats and pockets. Two technologies that didn't exist before 1936.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Airfoil posted:

I think the correct Latin name for Switzerland would be "Helvetica" not "Helvetia".

I'd say that you should just use Schweiz/Suisse/Svizzera, but then you'd have to do something similar for other countries with multiple official languages.

I went by:

https://la.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helvetia

I think the Helvetica/Helvetia is adjective vs noun declension thing, but I don't know latin.

And the reason I didn't use the German/French/Italian name was because I didn't want to betray it's strong mult-lingual tradition. Latin felt like a good, neutral choice.

I didn't get the same chance with some others (looking at you, belguim), which forced to make hard choices.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

gqul posted:

On the other hand Wade-Giles is a piece of poo poo and people in the year of our lord 1052016 everybody uses pinyin instead.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Is this going to be a good game or a bad game?

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

waitwhatno posted:

It will be as good a game as the "How many women will play HOI-IV ( and Grand-Strategy ) ?" thread on the official forums.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

Yeah I was being glib with the D&D talking point but Rommel was pretty enthusiastic about the whole Nazi thing in the beginning and I hate the "clean Werhrmacht" bullshit.

A lot of this stuff goes back to the 60's when the Bundeswehr needed traditions and heroes to look back on. Germany in the 60's still had people in government, industry and the military with a questionable past but it was better to talk about 'Good Germans' and conscripted Wehrmacht soldiers with no idea what those awful nazis were up to (Or SS, or Waffen SS, or Military Police, or...) than to ask really uncomfortable questions.

Since the 70's in academic literature and maybe since the 90's in pop history the Wehrmacht's involvement in war crimes has been better publicized.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8WxFXbUN4BU

Of course Rommel became famous for actions in Sedan, which is not desert. Since this is a sandbox, who's to say he wouldn't be sent to the Balkans or Russia?

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

sudo rm -rf posted:

Hey man, this is great information. That's a good argument for using the traditional for all of them, not just the ROC (what you mentioned was my exact thought-process, though. I didn't even consider that Simplified/Pinyin wouldn't have been around in 1936). What would you prefer? Pinyin and Simplified or Wade-Giles and Traditional? One thing to note is that I'll probably have to do romanization for everything first in a base mod and add native scripts as add-ons, which might take a little bit of time.

I think Wade-Giles is more evocative for a WW2 era game as they're familiar spellings for a lot of names from back then - Mao Tse-tung, Kuomintang, Chungking, Foochow etc.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Honestly I think that no nation should start with a 5 star, or even 4 star general.

The only nation with leaders who were already high ranking generals during WW 1 is France. And that batch of generals should get a "Reminisce" trait: 50% chance for units to do nothing, while their leader rants about politics.

Soviets need a Gulag mechanic: if your general gains a positive trait between 1938 and 1942 then there is a 50% chance for him to land in the Gulag, with another 50% chance to be released if the Soviets are losing badly.

gqul
Jun 4, 2015

sudo rm -rf posted:

If you just want my opinion, I would say Pinyin (no accents) and Simplified, because it's just what I'm most comfortable reading. As was said, Wade-Giles is nonsense garbage, which renders Beijing as Peking. But as was also said, Wade-Giles is what was used at the time, and I've seen modern translations of Eileen Chang's work use it because it's more evocative of the period. It's also worth noting that while anyone who actually knows Chinese knows what the Guomindang is, almost none of the grogs in this thread would recognize the name except as Kuomintang, romanized using Wade-Giles (and in fact I'm getting the red underline for Guomindang but not Kuomintang).

Here's what I'm going to recommend for romanization: punch it into Wikipedia. If you get redirected, use that spelling instead. For example, Chungking (Wade-Giles) redirects to Chongqing (Pinyin), but Guomindang (Pinyin) redirects to Kuomintang (Wade-Giles). But I would still only use Wade-Giles if I were using Chinese in English without translating it. If you want to present a Chinese word or name with transliteration as a pronunciation key, I personally would probably use Pinyin with accent marks. There's still a lot of room for debate here though.

e: \/\/\/ this is correct \/\/\/

gqul fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 29, 2016

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Beijing should be Beiping in this era :colbert:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Hammerstein posted:

Honestly I think that no nation should start with a 5 star, or even 4 star general.

The only nation with leaders who were already high ranking generals during WW 1 is France. And that batch of generals should get a "Reminisce" trait: 50% chance for units to do nothing, while their leader rants about politics.

Soviets need a Gulag mechanic: if your general gains a positive trait between 1938 and 1942 then there is a 50% chance for him to land in the Gulag, with another 50% chance to be released if the Soviets are losing badly.

In Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa the better your commander is the more threat he generates and as 'threat' builds up it makes Stalin more and more likely to have a shitfit and have random people shot/lose all your built up political points.

Since the game randomly rolls all your commander skills(they're broadly divided into some archetypes) you can end up with good commanders but have to mollify stalin early or you could end up with highly favored shitbirds that let you get away with more optimal card plays to change things. I like having two decent front commanders and one shitbox, preferably in the north where units have to move less- you can put Zhukov in there to help things out and then Khruschev can keep the threat down on one of your better ones.

It's pretty hard to actually manipulate the command situation there though and you just tend to have to play with what you have which means a lot of your soviet units get 40% of their MPs and move very little.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
7 daaaaaaayssss

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

waitwhatno posted:

There will be launch bugs that will largely be ironed out a couple weeks after release, but it will be the end of the world regardless.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Israel should be

ישראל

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 30, 2016

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRkkqv6B7I8

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I am kinda sad it will be another week before HOI4 comes out; last Monday was a holiday in Canada so I had plenty of free time and today is a holiday in the US so I'm just sitting around at work twiddling my thumbs. Would be nice if I could take off early and get some extra time giving the game a spun.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

See, this is the kind of thing I like to see - infantry advancing in general, motorised and tanks making separate pushes at specific points under generals with relevant bonuses.

Anyone else kinda think the game needs a "general advance plan" order for armies that you want to generally advance? It always seems a bit unwieldy when we see players drawing an offensive line on the opposite border of countries they want to invade, and it always ends up with some of the enemy country being left out of the resulting attack.

It'd also be cool to be able to tell an army to just garrison my entire country instead of having to select every state separately.

Gort fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 30, 2016

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Israel should be

ישראל

Fixed.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So will there be anything at all to the navy in this game, or will it be a sideshow where the goal is to manipulate the system to get the ideal units and crank out enough to do your necessary amphibious invasions?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Brainiac Five posted:

So will there be anything at all to the navy in this game, or will it be a sideshow where the goal is to manipulate the system to get the ideal units and crank out enough to do your necessary amphibious invasions?

Trade seems a lot more critical now so maybe. The wikis been updated by the devs to include more info about naval combat.

http://www.hoi4wiki.com/Naval_warfare

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Stairmaster posted:

Trade seems a lot more critical now so maybe. The wikis been updated by the devs to include more info about naval combat.

http://www.hoi4wiki.com/Naval_warfare

Oh, it's the same system as HOI2 (and probably 3) but with some of the obfuscation removed. Well, I guess that's about the best we can hope for, especially if submarine raiding can cause actual production issues now.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Make a 40 sub stack

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
People are really going to town on the wiki.

I'm guessing either devs, or Paradox gave approval to beta testers.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Tuskin38 posted:

People are really going to town on the wiki.

I'm guessing either devs, or Paradox gave approval to beta testers.

Yeah, if you look in the page histories a lot of information is being imported from the beta wiki-- presumably because the wiki will be linked to the in-game help system, so, well, it should probably have information about the game by launch day.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
So, a new HoI... I've one very important question.

Will I get my W15TCC?

Neobdragon
Jun 30, 2013
The only surface fleet action we're going to see in a historical game is Japan vs USA in the Pacific and Britain+France vs Italy in the Mediterranean. The new navy system looks like its pretty good though.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Neobdragon posted:

The only surface fleet action we're going to see in a historical game is Japan vs USA in the Pacific and Britain+France vs Italy in the Mediterranean. The new navy system looks like its pretty good though.

Well, first of all, that's not the only way history could have turned out. It should be possible to implement things like the "freak fleet" which so worried the British Admiralty as Germany, or have Turkey get involved in the war and see a Soviet-Italian duel in the Black Sea, etc. etc. without getting into sandbox or fantasy scenarios (or, say, Player France surviving the Manstein Plan, or the Mers-el-Kebir fleet joining the Free French). Second of all, the Pacific is, like, half of WW2 and if it's an afterthought that makes playing as at least two of the powers kinda dull.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Brainiac Five posted:

Well, first of all, that's not the only way history could have turned out. It should be possible to implement things like the "freak fleet" which so worried the British Admiralty as Germany, or have Turkey get involved in the war and see a Soviet-Italian duel in the Black Sea, etc. etc. without getting into sandbox or fantasy scenarios (or, say, Player France surviving the Manstein Plan, or the Mers-el-Kebir fleet joining the Free French). Second of all, the Pacific is, like, half of WW2 and if it's an afterthought that makes playing as at least two of the powers kinda dull.

:fishmech:

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Pardon me for discussing instead of jacking off.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Haha I'm just ribbing. You had fair points

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Brainiac Five posted:

Pardon me for discussing instead of jacking off.
I am really excited for this game!